Amari Koh Samui
Very Good 4/5
  • Room Service
Chura Samui(Chaweng)
2,691 results
All reviewspregobeach sidethai villagegarden wingbreeze spakoh samuicrossing guardsdeluxe roomchaweng beachthe main hotelbusy roadmain poolthe main roadpool viewbreakfast was amazingour honeymoonhappy hour
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Stayed at the Amari from the 27th of Dec to the 2nd of Jan.

We had a higher floor room which wasn't given to us as they had sold out (even though we had a booking) - we were then upgraded however it was right next to the pool so not really a quiet place to be at.

We lost electricity at least 6 times during our stay, 4 times on new years eve and it took about 40-45 minutes to fix it. Then again we lost power off and on other days which was a bit frustrating.

Breakfast was the same all days - I just felt they could have altered it a bit and kept something different.

New Years Gala dinner I personally felt the food could have been much better, it could have had a lot of thai food which it didn't, it was primarily western food.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rohank2014
PalmReefAmari, General Manager at Amari Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2014

Dear Rohan,

Many thanks for sharing your experience following you stay over New Years with us. I'm sorry to read there were a few points we fell short on, in particular the electrical issues which we experienced, which I understand are very frustrating.

Regarding the breakfast, we do actually rotate the dishes daily, but the differences are perhaps not so noticeable. I will mention this to the Chef. Your comments about the lack of Thai food at the New Years dinner have also been passed along to the Chef.

My apologies for these inconveniences Rohan, and hope that despite them you still overall enjoyed your stay with us.

With kind regards,

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Stayed for about 4 days in December. Overall a great place. Debated in my head whether to give 5 stars or 4, but settled on it being worth of 5.

What I liked about this hotel:
- Location is great. It's close enough to the main party area of Koh Samui at night (call in a 5 minute walk) that it's very accessible, but just far enough away that you're far from the noise when you ultimately want to retreat into quiet. Also close to some beach front night spots, and restaurants / convenience stores are real close by as well. It's also pretty close to the airport.

- Rooms are beautiful with a big bed, and great view. High standard. Very clean except I did notice that when I accidentally left some bread crumbs on the floor overnight, the ants were out in full force the next morning (note to self, don't leave food on the floor!). This was more my fault than the hotel's,

- Staff was very friendly. I remember the first day I arrived I went into town with some people and came back at 4:00 a.m. in not the best shape in the world and they helped me find my room.

Really the only cons are the hotel complex is huge, and my unit was at the very rear out back. Was a gorgeous view, but a long walk to get to. Only other thing is the pool area seemed a little vanilla, and quite a few beach vendors (which of course will be an issue for all the hotels along that strip).

Overall, highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Daniel C

Dear Daniel,

Many thanks for sharing your great comments about your stay, appreciate the recommendations!

Hope to welcome you back again to the Amari Palm Reef,

Best wishes,

Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

My stay at the Amari Palm was great. I would really recommend this hotel for those seeking outdoors peace and quiet. The staff was so friendly, specially Luz. He always made sure I was happy and comfortable. Which made my holiday even more enjoyable :-)

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Just a short note to say to the Management and staff how much we appreciated the hospitality on our 13 nights at you resort over xmas and new year's. The Staff were so nice to our kids and the entertainment you put one was awesome. I have attached a photo of the fire act which was amazing. We will be back!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Paul W
PalmReefAmari, General Manager at Amari Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear Paul,

Thank you very much for your kind words. We're really glad to hear you enjoyed the Christmas and New Years dinner and shows, and hope for the chance to welcome you and your family back once again!

Best wishes,

Reviewed 2 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for 10 nights from 6th December, following a fantastic 4 nights in Bangkok. This was our first trip to Thailand.

We arrived via taxi from the airport (expensive for such a short trip) around 1pm and were warmly greeted at reception and shown to our room (4216 – on the other side of the road).

Our room was bright and airy, with plenty of space. We were on the top floor. We did however notice in the bathroom that there was no shower head on the shower – this seemed quite an obvious thing to have missed when the room was checked for our arrival. We called reception and they sorted it out, but it did take some time as the receptionist’s English wasn’t the best and there was some communication problems.

We loved the hotel, and found no issues at all. It’s in a great location – a short walk from the hustle and bustle of the resort, whilst being right on the beach.

I used the gym a lot – it’s small but has everything you need.

The breakfast buffet was fantastic – loads of choice and this kept us full until lunch. I loved the French toast and pancakes.

The 2 pools are clean and large – we spent more time at the one near our room as it was quieter than the main one (less noisy children), but there is no bar at this one. We did notice that there was no lifeguard on duty at either pool, which may concern us if we had children. There is also no lifeguard on the beach which we found strange.

We enjoyed happy hour in the bar most evenings (loved the mango sticky grain cocktails) before we headed out.

The one particularly bad experience we had on the trip was at the Prego restaurant which is the hotel’s Italian one. The service was appalling – staff spent more time talking amongst themselves than serving customers. We placed our order and the starters arrived before the drinks did, which really annoys me. After our main courses (which came out as we were eating our starters), we ordered desserts, and my husband’s arrived and mine was forgotten. A waitress did apologise but by that time we were just too angry! The restaurant is described as the best Italian in Chaweng, but we would disagree and preferred Olivio’s (read below).

Just a few points on the Chaweng area…

Taxis are pricey in comparison to Bangkok and none of them use the meter. It’s cheapest to hop on one of the Tuk Tuks.

We went to Fisherman’s Village one evening for dinner and had a great meal at Starfish and Coffee – highly recommend it. Ask for a table overlooking the sea.

We went to the Ladyboys Cabaret show which was a good giggle – get drunk first!

Our favourite restaurant in Chaweng was Olivio’s – a lovely Italian overlooking the sea. If you go to the beach outside the hotel and walk left as far as you can go, you’ll find it. Very reasonable and much better food and service than Prego.

We didn't use the hotel spa as you can get spa treatments for half the price in Chaweng.

You have to take Chaweng for what it is – highly commercial, but good fun. If you want to escape, head out on a day trip. We did the snorkelling trip to Ko Tao which was a 1.5hr speed boat trip away. It was nice to experience some different islands.

We will definitely be back to Thailand, but will be visiting some of the less commercial islands next time!

Enjoy!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Carlyn A

Dear Carlyn,

Thanks very much for sharing your feedback following your stay with us. It is great to see that overall you had an enjoyable experience, and nice that you included many helpful pointers in your review.

Regarding your comment about the absence of a lifeguard, all our pool staff receive First Aid and CPR training regularly in case of a mishap, and there is security at the beach most hours of the day and night.

About your dinner at Prego, I must apologise. We usually receive very good comments about the dining there so I have addressed this issue with both the Restaurant Manager and the Chef for their attention.

Thank you again for sharing, and wish you all the best,