“Wonderful hotel”
Review of Amari Koh Samui

Amari Koh Samui
Ranked #10 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We have just returned from the Amari and can honestly say what a wonderful time we had. From check in to check out we really couldn't find fault, the staff were very friendly and always had a smile and thanks especially to the those working in the Bar@C who were so lovely.
It is no problem at all staying across the road and our rooms were immaculate and the gardens and pool area are immaculate.
We read a lot of bad stuff regarding the beach being grubby and the water not deep enough to swim in but if you go this time of year it's not a problem and the beach area surrounding the hotel was fine. Must say it was a bonus having free wifi throughout the resort and happy hour between 18:00-21:00.
Would highly recommend this hotel, thank you for a wonderful holiday.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jim p
PalmReefAmari, General Manager at Amari Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear Jim P,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, really great to hear you enjoyed your stay. Your kind words will be passed along to the team, especially the staff in the Bar@C who are always happy to know when their efforts are appreciated.

All the best till next time!

Martin Kunzmann

Write a ReviewReviews (2,574)

Reviewed 9 February 2014

I have stayed at Amari many time for 1-12 nights over the past ten years, for holidays, work, with friends, family and alone.

Yesterday I visited the property and it was looking as good as it has ever looked. Tropical, spacious and lush. The beach was great and many people were swimming at the beach and in the pool.

The property is in a great location if Chaweng (Samui's main tourist hub) is where you choose to stay. No only is Amari on Chaweng beach and accessible in minutes on foot to all the nightlife and shopping and massage spots of Chaweng, it is situated such that the road isn't noisy, the odour that can sometimes waft in central Chaweng is not present, and the trip from Amari to the airport/other great areas of the island is quick by car.

Right on the beach, the resort has been well designed so that everyone has access to the beachfront, rather than blockng this space for exclusive rooms not accessible to most. Amari maximises enjoyment for all by having the main pool, restaurant, bar and lawn in this beachfront spot.

The road is not busy at this section and the resort has staff stopping any traffic for a safe guest crossing anytime you pass by. Similarity, the rooms/ pool/day spa on the other side of the road to the beach offer that peaceful setting some resorts lack. The pool is quiet and very large and very protected from any wind.

The spa is always great here, and excellent value for a resort.

Prego, the resort's Italian restaurant, is iconic on Samui for it's exceptional service, consistency and casual atmosphere. The perfect spot to enjoy a pizza to break up the delicious Thai food enjoyed on holidays.

The gym here offers good natural light and is practical. Breakfast offers a great selection and ocean views.

The deluxe rooms are spacious and have garden views.

Superior rooms are restrictive in terms of the small bathrooms but ample for holiday stays.

Relative to other hotels in the area, Amari offers exceptional value.

It is not the most goamorous spot on the island in terms of rooms, but the service is friendly, food good, location great for Chaweng and it is well under half the cost of top five star resorts.

I would absolutely stay again.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank AR592

Dear AR592,

Many thanks for such a fantastic review. Honest and to the point, it is much appreciated especially from a guest who visits regularly, and will be shared with the team with great pleasure.

All the best and looking forward to seeing you here again at the Amari Palm Reef,

Reviewed 5 February 2014

I have just returned from 4 nights at the Amari. I have mixed feelings about this place. The grounds and communal areas are very nice and well maintained. The hotel rooms however are worthy of a 2-3* hotel at best and if you are used to any luxury of any kind then you will be disappointed here. The bedrooms look nothing like the pictures online. Having spent a few nights at Nikki Beach hotel on the west side of the island, this place seemed sub standard despite the price tag which is pretty high for Thai standards (£180 for a night - maybe this is because its Chinese new year).

The delux Thai village rooms can only be described as disgusting. They feel dirty and need to be updated badly. They have cubicles for bathrooms so have no expectation of any space for toiletries. The shower looked unsanitary. The cockroach on the floor when we were shown the room was certainly a low point. They then moved us to the upgraded version of the delux Thai village room, again at the back of the hotel on the other side of the road (its quite far from the main hotel be warned - just avoid this side altogether). Backing a quarry and a slum, the view walking towards the room is not great (we were in 5308). There is also so much shrubbery around the rooms that you can't really use the terrace without getting attacked by Mosquitos. Room was average (we were delighted after the first room we saw) - think Premier Inn or Holiday Inn Express. That's really the closest comparative, although if one of those was close by I would have checked into it already. They didn't have beach side rooms available so we tried but failed to change rooms.

Try one of the sea view rooms if you just must stay here. They won't be surrounded by shrubbery so at least the insect problem won't be as big. No idea what the rooms are like but they can't be worse than what I've seen already. If you normally stay in a Hilton/Meridian etc style hotel then don't stay here as it will be below par and you will be bitterly disappointed.

Breakfast had a large selection and was good but staff were shockingly rude and would openly mock you in their native tongue if you asked for another cup of coffee. The Italian restaurant Prego was lovely.

Chaweng beach is rather awful. It's worth staying elsewhere and commuting in for the nightlife. At least Amari made an effort to clean the beachfront each morning as it is dirty (plastic bags/cups etc) and there is so much seaweed on this beach. The rest of the island has stunning beaches but its very quiet.

The hotel will get you a private car to tour the island for 2000bht for 4 hours. This is enough to see almost everything the main tours show you but in the comfort if your own car. Definitely worth it.

Massage at Herbs next to the hotel was the best in the area - 200bht an hour. Amazing. Forget the hotel spa which is at least 7-8 times the price of local places.

The hotel needs to understand that dedicating so much effort to the grounds whilst the rooms look and feel aged and awful is not the best use of resources. Would never return to this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014
5  Thank Tarazilla
PalmReefAmari, General Manager at Amari Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2014

Dear TaraZilla,

Thank you for posting your review of your recent stay with us, and I am sorry to read that your experience did not match your expectations. Yes, I do agree that some of our rooms are not the newest anymore, especially compared with the 2 year old and 5 star Nikki Beach, but despite the age they are generally kept clean and in good order. I sincerely apologise that you did not find this to be the case, and have already brought this up with our Housekeeping team for their improvement.

We are planning for a rooms renovation at the moment and in the meantime do try our best to keep all areas of the hotel looking as nice as possible.

I hope that despite the inconveniences experienced both with us and at Nikki Beach, that you and your friend were still able to enjoy your Koh Samui holiday.

Reviewed 4 February 2014

The staff here are polite, friendly, really welcoming and go out of their way to provide excellent customer service. The hotel itself is beautiful, the grounds and pool area's are kept spotless. location of the hotel for us was perfect, leads right on to Chaweng beach and is a short 2 minute walk to the main bars and restaurants. Would recommend staying here.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear xJd2011x,

Many thanks indeed for your great review, it is lovely to hear that all aspects of the hotel especially the service were much enjoyed, and we certainly hope to welcome you back again one day soon.

All the best from Koh Samui!

Reviewed 2 February 2014

It was our first time in Koh Samui, we decided to go with Amari, since it's a chain.

I will start with the cons. While we understood that this is an island, we were really disturbed by the fact that there were about 4 lizards INSIDE our room! All of various sizes. The staff was not too bothered about this and they did not do anything about it. We had to drive them out ourselves and I slept with one eye open every night. The only reason we did not move out immediately was because we had also invited our friends to celebrate my birthday and everyone was checked in and it would be rude for us to check into another hotel. Lizards outdoors would not be a problem (and they have a LOT of them on the property) I was just too traumatized to have them in the room!

The room was not cleaned properly we found lingerie wrappers in the closet, a used hair band (with hair in it) in the In Room dining book and a toy ball!

But then we took courage and went out of the room, It truly was like paradise.
There are 2 swimming pools, one which is very private and quiet (We spent many late evenings in the pool with just our friends) and the other which is full of activity. This is also 10 steps away from the beach. The beach and view is beautiful. You can rent kayaks and take it into the water. the water is not at all deep and you can walk a few hundred meters into the sea with the water level only to your knees.

The food is great in the bar and the restaurants. They have a weekly night dedicated to some type of food or event. There are barbecues on the beach, buffets on the beach and much more.
The daily breakfast buffet is amazing with lots of variety and very high quality food. The lobby areas and outdoor areas are absolutely stunning. The bar area even has beds to lounge on while you eat, drink or just relax!

The staff is helpful, English is not spoken by all but everyone has a smile on their face.

They sent us a birthday card and a delicious cake for my birthday which was all set up when we arrived in the room.

The Spa is not to be missed. The staff is very knowledgeable and efficient. The ambiance of the spa is amazing. You can actually get your treatment done in the open near a water fall. The products they use are fantastic. We even got a few back home with us, Like the Mango Sticky Rice Range! Look out for daily deals which are put up on a black board. Many deals are available in the mornings!

I wish we could have slept by the pool because the only agonizing part was going back into the room at night to sleep with the lizards!! :/

Room Tip: This property is divided into 3 parts. 1. On the Beach with sea view 2. Around the Pool with Gard...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank StraightCirle

Dear StraightCirle,

Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience with us, and I do apologise for the presence of the geckos in your room. They are very common little animals in this part of the world and do occasionally sneak into our rooms. They don't do much other than eat ants and mosquitoes, which is why they are mostly ignored, but nonetheless I am sorry that you were traumatized and have already reminded to the Housekeeping team to shoo them out if they are found in rooms.

Other than that, I am very happy indeed to hear that the rest of your stay was greatly enjoyed, and that you had a fabulous time celebrating your birthday with your friends.

Wishing you all the best from Koh Samui,

Reviewed 2 February 2014

The location is great and the beach is wonderful, but this hotel fails in so many respects to live up to its potential. On a recent stay we experienced: lack of recognition for Amari Chorus centaurus member, poor internet (up and down all the time and slooow), food average and almost never changing or bring replaced on time at breakfast, poor maintenance of the wooden parts of the buildings, preschool kids (loads of them) all running around naked and peeing in the pool (we reported this as unacceptable to management who did nothing) argumentative reception staff, repeated hammering on our door to deliver fruit when we had a DND light on, arguing that it could be delivered as we were now awake !!, poor service at pool bar, pool boys preferring to loon around together rather than actually do anything, better service from the traders on the beach, no visible management by walking around. It goes on. And on. We just got the impression that most of the local management were appointed on the basis of long service and were just coasting, while expat management (with notable exception of one upbeat lady who was really trying) was just not doing much at all. We won't be back until this improves.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Graham H

Dear Graham,

Thanks for your review of your recent stay with us. It seems like we failed to impress in a number of different areas, for which I sincerely apologise. I will be taking up your various points with the departments concerned for their improvement, and I thank you for mentioning them.

Furthermore, concerning your comment regarding management complacency, I'm sorry this is the impression that you got, but please let me assure you that running a property of this nature leaves no room for complacency of any sort. While I am truly sorry that we got a number of things wrong during your stay, this is not the usual standard of service which we strive for and usually achieve, to which many other reviews will attest.

I do hope you will give us another chance, and welcome you to contact me directly should you wish try us out again on your next visit to Koh Samui,

With kind regards,

Reviewed 31 January 2014

We stayed at the Amari from 28th Dec 2013 - Jan 1st 2014 and thoroughly enjoyed staying here. We stayed in an Superior King room and were extremely impressed with the room. It was very clean and the bathroom was about as big as the bedroom! We didn't have any problems at all with the room. The pool was great and the beach but you do need to head down early to get a seat. We struggled to find seats as lots of people place their towels on them but we didn't see them come back for hours! The breakfast buffet was the best we had on our trip very fresh and lots to choose from. We went for dinner twice and lunch a couple of times at the resorts italian restaurant Prego and it was great, we had been to 'Dining on the rocks' the night before which was very expensive and 'fine dining' but we preferred the dinner we had at Prego! Be sure to book a table for dinner as on the first night we walked past and there was a very large line to get in for dinner. The location was perfect for us, it is on the main strip of Chaweng but not 'in amongst' the hustle and bustle - but a very very short walk. We did go for a massage at the Breeze Spa at the hotel - much more expensive than what you would get on the street of Chaweng but still half the price we would spend at home for the same if not better quality, definitely worth it if you want a great massage. Only negative thing I can think of is that I had to wait a couple of weeks for my bond to come back that they put on your credit card when you arrive of 5000THB. Not that it is the resorts fault as it is to do with the Thai bank but if I had of known this I would've used cash or when we checked out put the room charges on my account so I didn't have to keep checking if it had come back into my account! However Amari did get back to me promptly when I emailed them asking why it was taking this long. Overall I would recommend this resort to anyone travelling to Koh Samui.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alyson h

Dear Alyson,

Thank you so much for your kind review, and glad to know that you found your stay with us amazzing :) You've listed many detailed points, which I'm sure other travelers will find useful so thank you for that!

Hope you welcome you back on your next trip to Koh Samui,

With best regards,