“Amazing!!!”
Review of Amari Koh Samui

Amari Koh Samui
Ranked #10 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I have just returned from a 10 day stay at this hotel and it is literally faultless, from arriving to leaving there is not one thing I could say bad against this hotel. The location is perfect, it is quiet yet you walk 5 minutes down the road and you are at all the restaurants and bars so you really do get the best of both worlds!! (try the hotels Prego restaurant it is amazing) The staff are all incredibly polite and genuine, hotel is modern and spotless! We had a room across the road however the road really is not an issue as there is always two men there 24/7 to help you cross. When my boyfriend and i walked along beach in Chaweng we really felt we had chose the best hotel by a long stretch, we also visited Bophut and none of those hotels compared to ours either so we was more then pleased with our choice. The beach outside the hotel is spotless however the tide can sometimes be really far out, if you walk up the beach however the beach does tend to not be as nice so we was thankful for the picturesque beach we had right at our feet. I could not rate this hotel enough and will always recommend anyone to stay at this hotel when visiting Koh Samui.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Liz W
Shane L, Manager at Amari Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Hello Liz W,

Thank you for your Amazing review of your stay with us recently.

It always wonderful to welcome guests such as yourselves who really connect with the Resort and enjoy everything including the rooms to the location to the cuisine and all-round atmosphere.

We do always aim to impress and of course it's always wonderful to know when we get things right.

I do hope this wont be the last time we welcome you to Amari Palm Reef. Rest assured we will continue to aim higher and higher.

Until then, thank you again for sharing your thoughts.

Warm wishes,
Executive Assistant Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,602)

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed at the Amari in Koh Samui for 10 days in June 2014.
Emily and Gift at the front desk went out of their way to accommodate our needs and we stayed in a lovely room in the garden section part of the hotel.
The staff in general were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble.
The "lollipop men" who helped you across the road was a nice touch.
We would highly recommend this hotel for the service, staff, breakfast buffet and great location.

Room Tip: Book a room in the garden section where it is quieter and the rooms have both a shower and a bath. T...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello Eileen J,

Thank you for such an incredible review...thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

I am thrilled to read how much you loved the resort and your overall experience.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed everything from the service to our breakfast to the location. I would agree our location is really the best of both worlds.. private enough for those wishing an escape or a short walk to the action of Chaweng.

I am particularly thankful for highlighting both Emily and Gift at the front des, It doesnt surprise me that they made a positive impression.

Eileen, thanks again for taking the time to provide your feedback and I sincerely hope we have the chance to welcome you back.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Wow. I don't even know where to start this review. So many things are wrong about this hotel.

We arrived at 6 pm and check-in was very nice and quick. Staff is very warm, polite and welcoming, but we found some procedures very odd - read on to find out what/why.

We found out that this hotel is actually not located on the beach. Well, i think they have 10-15 rooms did NOT meet our expectations. We paid THB 65,000 for 11 nights, which we find very expensive, considering that this is Thailand and the property is only 4-stars. When accessing the bathroom, we found out that is was divided into 2 parts - one room for the toilet (and no sink) and one room for the sink and the smallest shower area we have ever seen. The sliding glass doors to the shower are old and quirky. The shower head is fixed to the wall in all rooms, so if you are above 1,80 meters you will have to bend your knees to get under the shower.

After seeing the room, we decided to file a complaint, because we read in the rooms description when booking that it had "separate bath/shower". This is NOT the case for all their Deluxe Pool View Rooms, and you have to specifically book a room with bathtub if you want that.

We were offered a new room with a larger bathroom AND bathtub under the same room category, which we took. Our second room was located on the ground floor, and had a much nicer bathroom in it. Now we just had to accept that we had no privacy, as the patio was located directly by the pool area, and other guests could look straight in to your bedroom while walking by.

The bed is nice and big, pillows are a bit firm though. The room itself is not really very soundproof, and you can hear everything going on outside the room. Everytime someone walks by, you can hear their footsteps when lying in bed, and you can hear the furniture upstairs when they are being moved around.

And then there was the air-condition. In both our rooms we found the air-condition to be VERY noisy. It sounded like a broken engine in both rooms. The cold air is blown directly in your face while you lay in bed and sleep, so you will wake up feeling cold with a headache from the cold air-condition.

The breakfast buffet is very overcrowded and busy - food quality is not good. You have to ask for alternatives to regular coffee/tea yourself, as choices are not always given from the staff. It was first on our 7th day that we found out we could order cappucino/ice-coffee/etc. when having breakfast. We found cold cuts and other things that were not labelled, so you did not know what it was or what type of meat it was made from.

When having breakfast at Amari Palm Reef, you have to check every plate/glass very thoroughly before you start grabbing food from the buffet - every second plate/glass had dirty stains on it or it was still wet from the washing machine. And being a tourist in a foreign country, you should really be careful eating from dirty plates. This is far below the standards we have experienced elsewhere in Thailand.

The hotel has 2 pools - one at the beach-part of the hotel and one at the "garden"-part of the hotel in the back. The garden-pool, which we lived nearby, was already closed down at 4-5 pm. The staff at this pool starts to collect the cushions and turn down the parasols at 4 pm, making the pool-area appear as if it is closed already. Once we found our towels and other belongings were moved so the staff could collect the cushions below them - it was not even past 5 pm yet!

I am sure this hotel has a lot more to offer, and i really hope they improve in the future. Their biggest trump card is definitely the great location at the northern part of Chaweng, which is more quiet but also not suitable for swimming on the beach, as it is located on a reef with very low waters.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with bathtub - these rooms have bigger and better bathrooms.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Thomasloewe

Hello THomasloewe,

Thank you for sharing your very comprehensive review of your recent experiences while on Koh Samui.

I am delighted to read you were impressed with the check in and the team was polite, warm and welcoming. I would also agree our prime location, minutes from the happenings of Chaweng is perfect for those either wishing a completely relaxing island escape or for those wanting to be in the center of activity.

As for the layout of the overall Resort, I would agree that we are one of the only resorts on the island featuring both beachside rooms as well as Thai village rooms, and it is a very personal decision which room is best for each guest.

You feedback was and still is appreciated and I assure you we have listened and will do our best to continue to improve in the future.

So thank you for your comments, It would be my pleasure to show you that we can indeed provide the experience which will leave you will much stronger positive feelings next time!

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

A really great hotel situated just up from the main hub with just a five minute walk to bars and restaurants. We were staying right at the back of the Garden area which was fine. The rooms were clean and linen changed regularly and to be honest for the amount of time spent in the room in my opinion no need to pay extra just to be the other side of the road. One disappointment was after a night out and on return I sat on a lounger on the beach. When I walked into the hotel I realised my iphone had fallen out of my pocket. We walked back to look for it and passed a so called hotel security guard. No phone there so decided to walk back along the beach to look even though I knew I'd had it when I sat down. When we returned to the hotel we questioned the security guard who denied all knowledge of seeing the phone until my husband pointed to his pocket and guess what - he had my phone. Clearly he was not going to return it which makes me question his integrity to be a security guard. Other than this a great place to stay.

Stayed: July 2014
6  Thank GeorgiRW
Shane L, Manager at Amari Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Hello GeorgiRW,

Thank you for sharing your impressions of Amari Palm Reef Koh Samui with the Tripadvisor community. I am delighted to see you enjoyed our lovely hotel, its location and the clean rooms.

I would like to address the comments you made regarding the iphone, the English level of the security guard is quite low and he was on the way to hand the phone into the front office. There was no ill-intent at all.

So thank you again for sharing your thoughts on your stay. Needless to say we hope to welcome you both back soon.

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Amari Palm for 8 nights in June. The best thing about the hotel is the location - quiet enough to get away from busy Chaweng Beach Road but close enough to walk to resturants , bars and shops. We stayed during low season so plenty of room at the pool. Rooms were clean and the was bed very comfortable. Our room was across the road from the main section of the hotel which was fine but you can feel you are away from the action, so to speak. Staff are all friendly but we felt that the service at the pool (although as we found in other hotels in Thailand) could be improved. We ate lunch most days by the pool and the food is very good.
Breakfast is also very good with lots of choice . Overall, a nice stay in Koh Samui!

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Summer_76
Shane L, Manager at Amari Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Summer_76,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent stay with us here on Koh Samui.

Overall I am delighted to see you enjoyed your stay with us and had a good time.

While we always aim for perfection, we do acknowledge that we must always continue to aim higher. So while I thank you for your glowing comments about everything from the rooms to our food and onto our location. I do note your comments in regards to the pool service, I can assure you that this is one area which we are constantly training and looking to improve.

So hopefully next time we will get even closer to perfection and earn that fifth star!

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed in Amari Palm Reef btw 1-6 July and really loved it. The landscape is perfect and everywhere is full of green. As all Thai people, most of the staffs were very smiling and solution-oriented. Since we have a late flight, a different room is dedicated to us after 4 hours from our check-out time just to take shower. The beach was clean with pure white sand. We really liked it and reccomend to all people. Try Samui Beach Burger at pool bar it was delicious.
Hope to see you again guys, Umut&Seda from Turkey!

Room Tip: Try Village rooms, I think they are refurbished recently. We also stayed in deluxe pool view rooms a...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello Patojen,

Thank you for your glowing review of your recent experience with us here at Amari Palm Reef Koh Samui, I am delighted to read you would recommend the property.

I am thrilled to see you enjoyed everything from the landscape, to the service and onto our signature burger.

Thank you again for all your wonderful comments and I sincerely hope we have the chance to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

This is the second time in 9 months that we have stayed at the Amari and we have loved it each time. The staff are friendly, welcoming and go above and beyond to accommodate you. The rooms are clean, spacious and lovely. We have stayed in the garden wing each time and the hotel went out of their way to give us the same room when we requested it! The food is abundant and lovely in all areas of the hotel from the breakfast to the pool bars to Prego. The service is next to none and the location is spot on. We can stroll along the beach and the main strip in the evening where the choice of bars and restaurants is abundant. We will certainly be back as there is no place like the Amari!!

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Haristm

Dear Haristm,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback here regarding your recent stay with us. Its always a pleasure to welcome returning guests.

I am delighted you were impressed by the room and we were able to provide you the room your requested.

I am thrilled to read you loved every thing from the location, to the service and onto the hotels culinary cuisine.

So thanks again for taking the time to share your feedback with us. It's always good to know when we manage to create such experiences for our guests and I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.