“serendipity”

Amari Koh Samui
Ranked #10 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

it was an amazing stay
couldn't be more thank ful
keep up with the good work

the ambience

I would recommend it to everyone.
we got a good deal
fantastic experience with a private beach n beautiful beach
awesome food
n they have a daily deal on lunch n dinner with dinner themes

the atmosphere
loved the culture of the work place
a much anticipated break just close to nature

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Shane L, Manager at Amari Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Hello Maleha B,

Thrilled to hear such positive comments about your recent stay with us at Amari Palm Reef Koh Samui.

I am delighted to see you love our daily lunch and dinner deals.

Again, thank you for your kind comments and for ranking us so highly.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Ok we're to start on this review , first I have been coming to thailand over the last 18 years and the first time was in koh samui a different place then a lot quieter and peaceful , we're talking chawang , and have backpacked the most , the first time I came there were not many hotels , but the amari always stood out as did the blue lagoon next door , so when choosing this family holiday these were the 2 I looked at first .many more were looked at and were in the running , but the amari we picked , just to say the blue lagoon does look a little run down now . The beauty of the amari is it is in very traditional thai style this is hard now to come by . With big concrete structures of hotels now built along the beach front . This hotel is closing next year for a refurb a multi million pound one, I hope to god the designers Ect, get it right as so many times they don't , but think they do ?.. If I may add this hotel in my eyes does not need a refit this size as it's beautiful ,ok some things could be changed but it's not worth mentioning , but I guess the amari group no better than me probably want to restructure for more rooms and better layout, anyway there over a 1000 reviews on here telling you all the good and the little pet hates and the negative get a life this is an excellent 4star hotel with a lovely feel about it , and u won't go wrong here ,do I want to write about the great staff nice management the road crossing staff no it's all been done book this hotel and u won't be disappointed and if you are well stay at home, am writing this sitting by the back pool at the hotel @1800hrs with a temp of 30c blue sky's and a beautiful setting ,
Ps thanks Shane for the info on the beach about what happens on the 18th august .

Room Tip: My tip get a room in the Amari beach side or other side both or great , and no other hotel
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Hello Alison R

Thank you for writing such a lovely review while you are still here.Always good to know when we get things right and make such a positive impression.

We will continue to work on the little details. As you know, in the end, they all add up to a wonderful experience for our guests.

It is always wonderful to read about praise for our wonderful team. They endeavor to provide extraordinary experiences every day and I have nothing but admiration for the effort they put in every day. So thank you for taking time to recognize them.

Again, thank you for your comments. Always good to know we have made such a wonderful impression and please do contact me when planning your next visit to Koh Samui. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

First stayed here in 2012 – second stay in 2014 – even better the second time around.
Clean, well maintained, super service from top management right through to a gardener who helped with our bags in the rain. The room cleaning is superb every day, bathrooms were spotless, we celebrated our wedding anniversary here and our bed was decorated with petals, and fruit and cake were left in the room. Complimentary drinking water is supplied every day.
Remember this is Thailand – nothing is too much trouble for the people here as long as you are cheerful and courteous – a smile goes a long way.
Premium rooms are beachside with Reception, restaurants bars and main pool, but we preferred the rooms on the other side of the road – they are standalone construction and they seem bigger. Definitely quieter and they have their own pool.
The location was perfect – close enough to Cheweng town to walk the whole length of the shops but no noise from the bars or clubs reached us at night.
The beach is cleaned every day and there are sun lounges on the beach and around both pools. The beach has big shade trees right on the beach.
Food and drink quality is great and staff are cheerful, helpful and plentiful.
One main restaurant, a pool bar and casual lounge style dining area with varied menus. The resort arranges different themed dinners on the beach which are a lot of fun and better priced than expected for resort dining.
There are some older areas but the resort is closing for a bit next year for renovations so this will be addressed. I for one hope we are on their mailing list for the re-opening – we will make this a frequent mid-winter break if possible.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Gillian,

Thank you for your glowing review and sharing your experiences on TripAdvisor, its always a pleasure to welcome back returning guests and congratulations on your wedding anniversary I am delighted to know you enjoyed the setup and our small gift.

I am thrilled you seemed to have enjoyed every corner of our Resort,, especially enjoying our " Beach themed dinner.

I appreciate you highlighting to the trip advisor community the resort layout with rooms on beachside and across the road, its definitely a personal choice which our guests prefer.

And a final thank you for recognizing our special team. I have always said that it may be easy to create a beautiful building or resort, but it is the team within that makes a guest experience truly special. I am so happy we made that impression for you.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide such great feedback. I hope it wont be too long before we see you return to Amari Palm Reef Koh Samui.

Warm wishes,

Reviewed 11 August 2014

This was our first time to Koh Samui and this hotel was fantastic .All of the positive comments on TA are so true . The location is the best on the beach a very short walk .100 mtr and you have the markets shops restaurants begin.From high end restaurants like "top ten " to local Thai eaterys like" Seen & meen BBQ " grill .From local markets to air con shops. All close by, or a taxi takes you further into the beach road strip.
The staff thought-out the hotel are excellent, i wish i wrote some names down to quote them on here ,friendly ,helpful and professional .
A few examples of the attention to detail we experienced,when we checked in early, after long hour flight from England ,the receptionist greeted us with cool hand/face towels ,then must have said sorry about 6 times, as only one of ours room was ready .But the hotel was not at fault !.. , we were just very,very early. She could see our tiredness .excellent people skills from her ,she was so nice .
We had a late family dinner one night and the hotel porter/night security ensured we found our rooms ,by torch light.The road crossing staff are great and alway a smile ( please do not let comments of the road issue stop you from booking here ) The hotel manager (i think ) Shane was very help full when we had issues with our flights tickets home.
The food was fantastic every morning .We tried the beach buffet one night , and we were very impressed ,skilled chefs and great foods.With a great setting on the beach with a mellow band playing some relaxing tunes.
Rooms- air con really good ! sometimes we had it too cool .Strong Wi Fi every where in the hotel,kids loved it . Large beds .Room service included free bottled water .We stayed in the top pool area rooms 4212 & 4211 so had our own walk way between rooms,as a family.,it was like a private block. We used the Hotels Prego Italian restaurants a few times(one for a take out) as there was lots of choices to eat in, Koh Samui .
I would return to Koh Samui and to this Hotel .In fact i would look at the Amari hotel chain before i choose future holidays in Thailand .The hotel and staff made our first visit to Thailand the best, and,the start of many to come.

Room Tip: Rooms right by the road may have noise .We stayed in 4212 &4211 .only a few rooms are by road .W...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Shane L, Manager at Amari Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

alfieboy79,

Wow, what can I say...thank you for a wonderful review. Always lovely to hear when we seem to get things so right as we did during your stay with us. Especially when it relates to your first time in Koh Samui.

Again, it is always so encouraging for me to hear when our staff make such a personal impression on our guests. It is those relationships that always make the difference and we are so lucky to have so many amazing people contributing here to the guest experience.

Obviously we are always pleased to hear positive feedback about our iconic breakfast experience as well as our beach buffet, which continues to impress our guests.

Thank you again for writing such detailed feedback. Rest assured we always take note and also please know that we hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We had high hopes for this hotel based on the fantastic reviews on Tripadvisor but were ultimately disappointed. The hotel is centrally located and very near the hustle and bustle of Chaweng Beach and even though we stayed in the 'Thai Village’ which is in the back of hotel and nearer the street, it was pretty quiet. The pools were nice and large, the grounds were well kept and the poolside bar was really relaxing (especially at night with their live band and Happy Hour) but you can’t help but feel like it’s a ‘tourist factory’ where it’s all about filling the hotel and taking your money at the expense of providing a good experience for the guests. The hotel is in need of a good refurbishment with many of the facilities/equipment needing replacement (ie. pool/beach lounges, table tennis table & the furniture in the rooms). While our room was very spacious (we stayed in a ground floor room), the bathroom was in need for a renovation with mould & soap scum around the shower tiling & the water that came out of the bathroom taps was brown and tasted sandy. The breakfast buffet was very comprehensive but was lacking in quality - especially the stale, bland pastries every morning. The daily activities were great and a nice touch especially for the kids. The happy hour was great with 2 for 1 cocktails! However, we wouldn’t rush back as we felt we could have stayed elsewhere and got better bang for buck. The staff were nice enough but definitely didn’t go out of their way to make your stay particularly memorable or special - I guess when there’s so many people around, it’s hard not to get overwhelmed and really get to know the guests! The most disappointing thing was part of the package that we booked included 15% off all food and drinks but when we checked in, the staff made no effort to take us into detail what this inclusion meant so every time we ordered anything, it was such a mission to try to explain the 15% discount as it didn’t seem like the staff knew about this package deal. When it came time to check out, it took ages because none of our purchases included the discount. Luckily we foresaw this issue and kept all the receipts so we were able cross check everything but we felt that the discount package was to get people in and because there was no planning of how this would be managed on their side, it ended up being the paying guests’ issue to sort out. Similarly we had a late check out included in our package but we had to follow up numerous times on this. If you’re looking for a nice relaxing hotel to stay at, I would recommend staying elsewhere and out of Chaweng where the hotels are smaller and more intimate and you get a better service.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SymJon

Hello SymJon,

Thank you for sharing your feedback online with everyone here.

I am certainly sorry that we missed the mark on a couple of those areas you highlight and rest assured that we will use such comments to continually improve.

Needless to say I am disappointed when such items can overshadow all the positives aspects that you mention, especially when it seems you really enjoyed everything from the location to the daily happy hour, from our pools to the beachbar and onto our live band.

We also identified that the hotel requires a renovation, as a result the hotel will be closing down from April 1st 2015 for one year for a total refurbishment. I sincerely apologize for the issue of the 15% FB discount, thanks to your review we have arranged a meeting wholly focused on how we as a management team can better plan and communicate this package to our guests.

Moving to the issue with the "Bland Pastries " I would appreciate you are able to contact me directly to elaborate on this, as we receive numerous compliments our pastries.

I can only hope that you will visit us again one day and reach out to me so I can coordinate a return visit to our Resort to show you that we can indeed provide a flawless experience...and aim to get a five star review! I consider that our challenge which I hope you will accept one day.

Warm Regards
shane.langdon@amari.com

Reviewed 8 August 2014

We were a group of friends who booked Amari at Koh Samui, partly because we wanted to stay at the thick of things... As locations go, the resort is ideally located with the nightlife and markets within walking distance. I must admit that for the the 3 nights we were there in Samui we barely stepped out of Chaweng as everything was so well located. The beach and the pool at the hotel - both are to die for. The hotel's beach side is just amazing with both restaurants and message parlours within a few metres. The rooms a bit small, but they suited our purpose. The staff are courteous and a special mention to the diving centre at the hotel, which is very good. All in all, a great and satisfying stay at the Amari Palm.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Cauvery1383

Hello Cauvery1983,

Thank you for your positive review of your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to see you and your friends enjoyed yourselves leaving satisfied with your stay here at Amai Palm Reef Koh Samui.

I am also thrilled to hear you loved everything from our location to our pools and onto the staff here at the resort. Thanks for recognizing the dive center I will forward on your comments to them.

I look forward to welcoming you for a return visit in the future. I certainly hope you do...and next time we will be aiming to get those five stars!

Reviewed 7 August 2014

The room r full of ants , the water in the sower r little Dirty , the pools r not clean and the room on the road r very noisy
The location is great
The family room r to small and no bath only small sower so it's not comfortable with small children

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Maya E,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent visit to Amari Palm Reef Koh Samui.

I apologize that we did not live up to your expectations on this visit. We have taken note of your comments, however I would appreciate you contact me directly to elaborate on the issues your highlighted.

Needless to say, I hope to hear from you and I hope you had a safe and comfortable journey home.

I do wish you happier travels in future.

shane.langdon@amari.com