“Worst hotel to stay at Koh Samui”
Review of Amari Koh Samui

Amari Koh Samui
Ranked #9 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Worst hotel to stay at Koh Samui”
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Last week I stayed with my family 2 adults and 1 baby for 4 days holiday and has been the worst experience in my life at this hotel.
Starting with a very very bad front desk who were very cold and not helpful at all.
I had mentioned that I have a small baby with me and needed close proximity to the reception and Restruant however was flatly refused and I was sent to the other side of the road where the second part of the hotel was. The front desk flatly refused to help and never entertained further conversation.
On buffet breakfast the staff was very rude on providing us with support on food or place to sit as preference was given to foreigners.
The room was dirty and had a lizard on the wall and when I complained no action was taken only to say "it's common here".
I have stayed at many hotels abroad but this has been the wort experience ever.
In fact on the other hand Amari watergate at Bangkok was a much much better place and warm.
Wonder under one brand so much of discrepancy.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Rishad T
Hello Rishadtehrani,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience with us.It was unfortunate to learn that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

I do feel it necessary to share certain additional information to clarify the situation for the benefit of other readers.

Your booking was for a superior room, however there was no pre- request in your booking for a room close proximity to restaurant and/or reception. On the day of your arrival all the superior rooms with close proximity to the restaurant and/or reception were occupied. Yes you are correct you were allocated a room on the other side of the street, however after two nights you were moved to room #2203 which is close to the restaurant and reception which you failed to mention in your review. Therefore the front desk did not flatly refused to help with your request upon arrival you were moved when the next available room become available.

In regards to our staff giving preference to foreigners is a damaging allegation, and cannot be automatically assumed. I would have much preferred that you had reported this matter to us politely and professionally requesting management to investigate. This approach would have been both welcomed and received by us with appropriate concern.

We would have appreciated the opportunity to address your concerns while you were a guest at Amari Palm Reef however we thank you for sharing your impressions on Tripadvisor

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a fabulous holiday at the Amari with husband and 3 kids. The hotel exceeded our expectations, beautiful buildings, gardens and lovely well appointed rooms. The place was fastidiously clean. The food was spectacular - from the excellent breakfasts where everything was on the menu to the romantic and special meals beach and poolside at night. Location was amazing- fronts onto the clear white sands of chaweng but in slightly quieter spot- so no noise issues. The pools were clean and easy to get lounger whenever you wanted to. Staff were beyond helpful. The hotel made our holiday so relaxing. Can't recommend more highly!!

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Stromski
Hello Stromski,

A huge thank you for taking the time to share you comments here. It's always wonderful to hear when we manage to exceed expectations. Or even better when we create an experience way beyond any expectation.

It was a true pleasure to have you stay with us. And I am delighted that you found so many experiences here to your liking ranging from the beautiful gardens and lovely rooms onto our dining options and location.

I am particular thankful for highlighting our excellent breakfast, Our breakfast continues to gain such positive comments and our team continues to look for way to create new experiences there all the time.

So thank you again for your kind comments and you know I mean it when I say that we hope to see you back with us again soon...very soon!

Malmo, Sweden
Reviewed 16 August 2014

In my humble opinion is the best of the best hotel in the whole Island of Samui, located at the edge of the best part and luxury side of the island and beach, and very quiet and directly located on the beach and 2 minutes walking to the most important street market shops and restaurants, and night life
the hotel is very good for family and delicious food at all of their restaurants, better than outside
pls don't miss to visit the Festival Central Mall located at the end of the road (15-20 minutes walking distance) as every thing is brand name and cheaper than the street markets of no brand
Don't miss to eat the banana and choclete pan-cake from the road side stalls ... very clean and delicious 40 batt each

Harrogate
Reviewed 15 August 2014

My family and I have just returned from a week at the Amari Palm having first spent 4 days in Singapore.

The entire experience at the Amari Palm was outstanding and I struggle to understand some of the negative comments that are posted on Trip Advisor especially those relating to the attitude of the staff or the facilities.

Throughout our stay, the staff could not do enough for us. The men who help you cross the road were always courteous and helpful. The waiting staff at breakfast were always wanting to ensure that you had tea and coffee. The waiting staff when we had dinner three times were superb and focussed. I wish I had noted the name of the lady who made a real friend of our 8 year old son such was her interest in his DS Pokemon game that he was playing and who even ensured that the ketchup came out of the bottle for him. I appreciate that this may sound like a very little thing but it is these things that count.

The quality of food at dinner was very good. We had lovely Thai curries and rice dishes and thoroughly enjoyed the 2 for 1 cocktails during happy hour.

The price was more than reasonable : a Thai curry was 220 THB(around £5) and the entire bill for the 5 of us including at least one round of drinks and two starters and two desserts was around 2800 THB.

Yes, you may be able to get cheaper food elsewhere, but having eaten at Spago and in Fisherman's Village, the prices are not that much cheaper and what you may save in money, you lose in terms of ambience and levels of service.

The pool attendant at the garden side pool (who I think was called Sutham)was always happy to help and made sure that we knew what the promotion was that day be it happy hour 2 for 1 or, as was often the case, promotions on pizza from Prego.

He ensured that the poolside area was clean and well organised and was a credit to the hotel.

I wish I had noted the name of our housekeeping staff given that they kept our 2 rooms ( our 2 teenagers shared a room) pristine. Our 8 year old brought his (soft toy) dog with him and every day, the dog would be placed on his bed in a different way be it with his head to one side or one of his paws resting on a pillow.

Again, this may sound like a very minor thing but the small details count and matter.

Suffice to say, some of the comments as to cleanliness that can be found in some of the more negative reviews astound me as we never considered that the room and bathroom had not been cleaned to the highest standard.

Breakfast was excellent and again, I struggle to understand criticism as to this. Wide ranging choice and good quality.

We were on the garden side of the hotel and did not find this an issue whatsoever. There are construction works going on at the side of the hotel (I presume for another resort) but this did not detract from our enjoyment as the works did not seem to create that much noise or interference with the hotel.

Check in and front desk staff were helpful and friendly and allowed me to use a hotel laptop to print boarding passes for return flights. I had an issue with online check in for our youngest son and a member of staff telephoned the airline for me and got to the bottom of things. That meant a lot and was a big help.

Mention should also be made of the the staff who move luggage from reception to your room. They work extremely hard and a credit to the hotel.

The location is excellent given it's well within walking distance of the main area in Chaweng.

In very simple terms, this is a very good resort that is good value for money. It may well be more expensive than some of the other hotels further down the road but you get what you pay for and the Amari not only met expectations, but surpassed them.

Anyone booking in before April 2015 (when it is being closed for an extensive refurbishment) ought to have no concerns as to this hotel. It was wonderful in all respects and I hope that when (as seems to be the case) the management read this review they will pass all of the the comments on (rooms 5310 and 5311).

Room Tip: Rooms on the garden side are quieter. I do not consider it an issue to have to cross a road to get t...
1 Thank Ezio1745
Hello Ezio1745,

Wow, what can I say...thank you for a wonderful review. Always lovely to hear when we seem to get things so right as we did during your stay with us

Again, it is always so encouraging for me to hear when our team (staff) make such a personal impression on our guests. It is those relationships that always make the difference and we are so lucky to have so many amazing people contributing here to the guest experience.

It seems you had a wonderful time and really enjoyed the overall experience including everything from our dining options to our daily happy hour and onto our location. While it can indeed be a challenge to please everyone all of the time, we always strive to do exactly that.

I am delighted to connected with our pool attendant Sutham He certainly stands out in the garden side pool and he loves to help guests to connect with our FB promotions and happy hour.

Again, thank you for your comments. Always good to know we have made such a wonderful impression and please do contact me when planning your next visit to Koh Samui. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

it was an amazing stay
couldn't be more thank ful
keep up with the good work

the ambience

I would recommend it to everyone.
we got a good deal
fantastic experience with a private beach n beautiful beach
awesome food
n they have a daily deal on lunch n dinner with dinner themes

the atmosphere
loved the culture of the work place
a much anticipated break just close to nature

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Maleha B,

Thrilled to hear such positive comments about your recent stay with us at Amari Palm Reef Koh Samui.

I am delighted to see you love our daily lunch and dinner deals.

Again, thank you for your kind comments and for ranking us so highly.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Ok we're to start on this review , first I have been coming to thailand over the last 18 years and the first time was in koh samui a different place then a lot quieter and peaceful , we're talking chawang , and have backpacked the most , the first time I came there were not many hotels , but the amari always stood out as did the blue lagoon next door , so when choosing this family holiday these were the 2 I looked at first .many more were looked at and were in the running , but the amari we picked , just to say the blue lagoon does look a little run down now . The beauty of the amari is it is in very traditional thai style this is hard now to come by . With big concrete structures of hotels now built along the beach front . This hotel is closing next year for a refurb a multi million pound one, I hope to god the designers Ect, get it right as so many times they don't , but think they do ?.. If I may add this hotel in my eyes does not need a refit this size as it's beautiful ,ok some things could be changed but it's not worth mentioning , but I guess the amari group no better than me probably want to restructure for more rooms and better layout, anyway there over a 1000 reviews on here telling you all the good and the little pet hates and the negative get a life this is an excellent 4star hotel with a lovely feel about it , and u won't go wrong here ,do I want to write about the great staff nice management the road crossing staff no it's all been done book this hotel and u won't be disappointed and if you are well stay at home, am writing this sitting by the back pool at the hotel @1800hrs with a temp of 30c blue sky's and a beautiful setting ,
Ps thanks Shane for the info on the beach about what happens on the 18th august .

Room Tip: My tip get a room in the Amari beach side or other side both or great , and no other hotel
Hello Alison R

Thank you for writing such a lovely review while you are still here.Always good to know when we get things right and make such a positive impression.

We will continue to work on the little details. As you know, in the end, they all add up to a wonderful experience for our guests.

It is always wonderful to read about praise for our wonderful team. They endeavor to provide extraordinary experiences every day and I have nothing but admiration for the effort they put in every day. So thank you for taking time to recognize them.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 August 2014

First stayed here in 2012 – second stay in 2014 – even better the second time around.
Clean, well maintained, super service from top management right through to a gardener who helped with our bags in the rain. The room cleaning is superb every day, bathrooms were spotless, we celebrated our wedding anniversary here and our bed was decorated with petals, and fruit and cake were left in the room. Complimentary drinking water is supplied every day.
Remember this is Thailand – nothing is too much trouble for the people here as long as you are cheerful and courteous – a smile goes a long way.
Premium rooms are beachside with Reception, restaurants bars and main pool, but we preferred the rooms on the other side of the road – they are standalone construction and they seem bigger. Definitely quieter and they have their own pool.
The location was perfect – close enough to Cheweng town to walk the whole length of the shops but no noise from the bars or clubs reached us at night.
The beach is cleaned every day and there are sun lounges on the beach and around both pools. The beach has big shade trees right on the beach.
Food and drink quality is great and staff are cheerful, helpful and plentiful.
One main restaurant, a pool bar and casual lounge style dining area with varied menus. The resort arranges different themed dinners on the beach which are a lot of fun and better priced than expected for resort dining.
There are some older areas but the resort is closing for a bit next year for renovations so this will be addressed. I for one hope we are on their mailing list for the re-opening – we will make this a frequent mid-winter break if possible.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Gillian,

Thank you for your glowing review and sharing your experiences on TripAdvisor, its always a pleasure to welcome back returning guests and congratulations on your wedding anniversary I am delighted to know you enjoyed the setup and our small gift.

I am thrilled you seemed to have enjoyed every corner of our Resort,, especially enjoying our " Beach themed dinner.

I appreciate you highlighting to the trip advisor community the resort layout with rooms on beachside and across the road, its definitely a personal choice which our guests prefer.

And a final thank you for recognizing our special team. I have always said that it may be easy to create a beautiful building or resort, but it is the team within that makes a guest experience truly special. I am so happy we made that impression for you.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide such great feedback. I hope it wont be too long before we see you return to Amari Palm Reef Koh Samui.

Warm wishes,