“Great value for your money”
Review of Amari Koh Samui

Amari Koh Samui
Ranked #9 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Ramat HaSharon, Tel Aviv, Israel
“Great value for your money”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We stayed one night on the Amari.
This is a very nice hotel, in good location on the Chaweng beach.
The breakfast was great; you can find in the buffet everything. I loved the Micky mouse plates for the kids.
Definitely, you will get value for your money

Room Tip: I prefer the gardens rooms
Shane L, Manager at Amari Koh Samui, responded to this review, 7 September 2014
Hello Yoni L,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay with us and I am pleased to hear that overall you had wonderful memories of your experience.

I am delighted to see you enjoyed everything from hotel, onto its location ( which I believe is the best in Samui) and our amazing breakfast buffet.

So thank you again for sharing your thoughts on your stay. Needless to say we hope to welcome you both back soon

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Check in was a bit slow - room wasn't ready at around 15.30pm and they had a problem with our booking resulting in a free upgrade to a poolside villa room. They did provide us with a complimentary free drink each though which was appreciated.

Pool Thai deluxe villa room - The room itself is not that of a 4.5* hotel as others have said below, the finish in the room isn't great which is a shame, however I see that rooms are due to be refurbished soon. We originally booked the garden room which was set further back across the road - I was grateful that we had been upgraded as they went really far back. We were given two bottles of complimentary water each day which is a nice gesture, and a lady goes around in the late afternoon to spray mosquito spray in the room and leave a flower on the bed - this didn't happen daily though it was a bit random. We were given a plug in mosquito repellant which was greatly appreciated as we opened our door and a huge amount of insects flew in one night. I did think that it was unnecessary to change the bed each day, however the cleaner was so pro-active we rarely had a chance to put the card on the bed to inform her we didn't need it changed as she had already been in during breakfast. This isn't a complaint (we often left bottles around which we refill with water from 7Eleven and these were dumped too). We didn't have a hand towel for our first three days. There are very limited English channels on the tv, news, movies and a kids channel as well as a DVD player. The shower is awesome - really powerful, and the bed is ridiculously comfy.

Our room had paper thin ceilings and we were on the bottom floor with a room above us, I was kept awake most nights until late and then woken up early by what could only be described as elephants moving furniture above us. I could even hear a man snoring one night. I called reception to ask them if they could please ask the room above to be a bit more courteous considering it was 12.30am and they were persistent in stomping around and shaking the ceiling, however the receptionist didn't understand me. I tried again the next night, and called reception twice, reception called me back to say someone had been around the villa and it was quiet! I asked her to visit our room to listen to the elephants herself (it was happening during the phone call) she continued to argue with me saying no one was making any noise, she reluctantly agreed that someone would speak to them and then slammed the phone down on me. I was absolutely furious after this phone call. The elephants continued throughout our stay (and that night). I can't stand selfish guests like this. It is up to the staff at the hotel to fix problems like these and this didn't happen, I even considered going upstairs myself and asking them to be a bit more considerate. It made me so furious that the hotel wouldn't do anything or even believe me!

Breakfast - vast array of items however this became boring after 10 days I have to admit, can't blame the hotel for this. You need to order eggs - I ordered a fried egg on my first day then went to get some bread, walked back to find that mine had just been handed to a bloke. I then had to wait for another 5-10 mins for another one. The Rice Krispies were also stale as they are left out uncovered.

Beach buffet - this was 850THB and was a lovely experience, highly recommended. They also organised a fire show which was really good.

Sunbeds - I think it's great that guests cannot reserve sunbeds, and towels will be removed within an hour. However when we left our sunbeds to eat at the hotel by the poolside, our towels were removed when we went back to them which is ridiculous. We weren't even gone an hour, and we were obviously sat metres away. This happened a number of times and is really annoying. There are loads of sunbeds, around both of the pools and the beach for hotel guests though.

Wifi - there is free wifi throughout the hotel grounds which is awesome, however ours did not work for the first four days. You need to enter surname and room number to sign in for free. I called reception twice and also visited twice to check that the surname had been input correctly on their system and they assured me that they use the passport we provide at check in to enter this information. On my third attempt to get this sorted I asked them to spell out the surname which turned out they had entered incorrectly - problem solved.

Room lights - We had problems with the bathroom lights since we arrived in 3127 and have made daily calls to reception. I was unable to turn the bathroom light on in the night and the hairdryer didn't work in the morning - I called reception each day to mention the fault and was told the maintenance man would fix the issue. After our 5th night when I almost broke my neck trying to find my way down the slope into the bathroom in the pitch black I decided to raise this issue again. We discovered that the main light in the bedroom needs to be turned on in order for the bathroom lights and hairdryer to work, I did not want to turn this on in the middle of the night and wake my partner up and we didn't want the bedroom light turned on in the daylight to use the hairdryer in the morning. The Maintenance man went in again this morning, still the same problem. I went back to reception, then met two lovely ladies at the room and showed them what I meant. They took me to the opposite room and the lights were fine - ie bathroom light went on without the main bedroom light being on, just like every other hotel I've stayed in and every single persons home. The manager then came to see me in the room and asked whether I wanted the bathroom light on constantly, so I explained that I did not, however the master should not be in the bedroom and I didn't want to wake my boyfriend up when I needed to go to the bathroom in the night. I was then told that for my convenience, so I did not wake boyfriend up, they would cut the master switch so the bathroom was on a separate circuit. I was told that all of the rooms are wired in this (ridiculous) way, and conveniently the room I was shown opposite us was 'different from the rest' which I find hard to believe. They would also make our room 'different'. This hotel was expensive, luxury.... one would hope, I was very annoyed to be made to feel that I am being awkward when all I wanted was a bathroom light to work without lighting up the entire room first - hardly a tall order.

Location - without a doubt the best location of all the hotels in Chaweng. Sweetcorn directly outside the hotel on the beach for 50THB and bottles of water for 20THB, there are hotel sunbeds here too on the beach. Loads of restaurants on the strip (keep on walking past all of the tatty ones and there are some gems at the bottom in the shopping mall).

Stayed May 2014
2 Thank RachelKelly7487
Shane L, Manager at Amari Koh Samui, responded to this review, 7 September 2014
Hello RachelKelly7487,

Thank you for your kind time to write a detailed review on your recent visit to Amari Palm Koh Samui.

It is encouraging to see the detailed list of what our guests likes and on which points our guests’ views this as an opportunity for us to improve upon.

However please let me apologise for issue you experienced from our receptionists and you are correct its the hotel responsibility to fix ongoing issues for our guests. This has been addressed with the concern department manager. In regards to the lighting issue we are currently work with our director of engineering to fix this in the rooms.

I thank you for your comments. Rest assured we take them to heart and I hope that you reach out to me in the future should you ever consider a return trip to our island. It would be my pleasure to show you that we can indeed provide the experience which will leave you will much stronger positive feelings next time!

Kfar Saba, Israel
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Our family vacation was expected to be in anther resort, luckily we had to change dates and find rooms at Amari.
This was one of the BEST moves !!
The hotel is wonderful, wide open with great view from the lobby, lovely welcome with smiles everywhere gave us the correct feeling that it is going to terrific.
Location is best, it is 2-3 min walk from the noisy main street of Cheweng, far enough for quiet, close enough to be there.

our rooms were located at the Deluxe Garden, on the other side of the road. it was a bit far from the beach and lobby, yet nothing to bother.
rooms are clean and big, bathrooms are huge, view from the rooms is green and clean.
the beach front is clean and well kept, pool area (both) is great.
fitness room is well kept and cleaned often.
Breakfast is amazing !! lots of fresh fruits
front desk is very helpful, also the guest relation will help you to book activities in a fair price.

GO THERE !!!

Hello Nisimbarda,

First of all thanks for sharing your open feedback with everyone here and it was indeed a pleasure to welcome you to our Resort recently.

I am delighted to see that you found so many experiences to your liking. Regular favourites such as our location, swimming pools, the deluxe garden wings rooms and our signature breakfast.

I am also thrilled to hear that our front desk team were helpful along with our guest relations team, I will forward your feedback.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts about the Resort and thank you for your kind words.
I certainly hope that we have the chance to welcome you back in the future. Of course, I will hope that you reach out to me personally so I can assist with making any such preparations.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 24 August 2014

4 of us ladies stayed at Amari in Samui for 4 nights. It was devine. Martin the GM is a lovely person and went out of his way to make us feel welcome. The hotel is beautifully kept. The food exceptional. The staff lovely. We loved the position of the hotel which is walking distance but just far enough away from Chewang shopping strip. Highly recommended and I will be back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gill c
Hello Gill C,

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful comments regarding your recent stay with us.
Needless to say, it is always nice for our team of talent to hear when we make such a positive impression.

It seems you had a wonderful time and really enjoyed the overall experience including everything from our dining options to our lovely staff.. While it can indeed be a challenge to please everyone all of the time, we always strive to do exactly that.

Thanks again for sharing your positive feedback about the Resort and certainly hope we have the chance to welcome you back again soon.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 22 August 2014

It's no argue a 5-star resort. We're a Chinese My family from Hong Kong. Stayed at Amari from 16 to 20 Aug. Resort location is perfect, 4 minutes' walk from the town center. Can ride a canoe right from the resort beach to some 80 meters outward and you can see lots of corals. Service is very good, can't find anything to complain.
Just that the swimming pools are a bit small. Still it deserves a grade A rating.

Room Tip: For rooms 5xx, I suggest you choose the ground floor. It's a choice between balcony and backyar...
Hello ricci hk c

Thank you for taking the time to write your impressions of your stay with us recently. Seems that you really enjoyed our location and the canoes outside on the beach.

I am delighted to see you were impressed from the service you received, rest assure we will continue to look at ways to impress.

Thank you for taking the time to provide your rating to us and we hope to see you back in Thailand soon!

Warm wishes
Bramhall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Got a lovely warm welcome when we arrived and seeing through reception passed the pool to the beach really gave me the feeling we had arrived in paradise. Our room was on the other side of the road which I thought would be a problem but actually it was fine. The room was larger than expected although the bathroom could have done with a make over and was on the very small side it was adequate and having a separate loo was good. The area round the pool was well kept, clean and had a great bar for lunches. The beach at the hotel was well tended and with a wave of my arm the lovely man with the cocktail menu arrived. Just a few steps from the busy busy main strip with all the shops and restaurants meant we could wine and dine and then retire to piece and quiet. Food was fab at breakfast and lovely when we dined in the evening. Staff made this a most pleasant stay. If you go take a stroll down the beach to the massage ladies, cheep and fantastic and the most lovely way to spend an hour or 3 relaxing. My partner and I would love to return in the future.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Fiona C
Hello Fiona C,

Thanks for sharing your feedback about your recent stay with us here in Koh Samui. And it's great to see you found so many great areas to enjoy while here, including our magnificent breakfast at Merante.

I would agree that the rooms on the other side of the road is not a major problem, however every guest has a personal preference.

I certainly hope it wont be the last time we welcome you back. Rest assured I would love to hear from you when you are next making plans for a return trip to Koh Samui.

Until then, thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

Tel Aviv District, Israel
Reviewed 21 August 2014

My family and I have just returned from 8 days at the Amari Palm Reef Koh Samui, the entire experience at the Amari Palm was outstanding!!

The food was fantastic every morning with Wide ranging choice and good quality, the children define the Amari breakfast as “the best” …
Several times we had dinner at the Italian restaurant “Spago”, it was excellent, Pizza and Gnocchi are recommended. We also tried the beach buffet at lunch and we were very good.
The beach was clean and quiet, it is very close to the pool, we spend most our time on the beach and the children were able to move from the pool and the beach without our supervision.
The staff thought-out the hotel are excellent, my daughter had a birthday during our stay and she receive a cake to the room from the hotel.
Rooms were great - clean and spacious.
The location is excellent given it's well within walking distance of the main area in Chaweng.
Beautiful hotel, great and helpful service, I Would recommend the Amari to my friends.

1 Thank lilachz
Shane L, Manager at Amari Koh Samui, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Hello Lilichz,

Thank you so much for sharing such thorough thoughts about your recent experience with us.

I am honestly so thrilled to see that you enjoyed everything from Prego ( our specialty Italian restaurant) to the rooms, from the location to the amazing breakfast display.

As you have no doubt seen from many recent reviews and my replies, we really do value our approach to service and our efforts to connect with guests on a level unlike other resorts.

I am always delighted to hear when we are so successful on a level such as you suggest.

I really do thank you for your glowing recommendations and I certainly hope that we will welcome you back again so we can prove that such incredible experiences can indeed happen again and again.