Amari Koh Samui
US$148
  • Breakfast included
Nora Buri Resort & Spa(Chaweng)(Great Value!)
US$186
US$158
US$579
LuxuryCollection
Chaweng Garden Beach Resort(Chaweng)(Great Value!)
US$115
US$95
Agoda.com
Dara Samui Beach Resort(Chaweng)(Great Value!)
US$262
US$80
Trip.com
  • Pool
Sareeraya Villas & Suites(Chaweng)(Great Value!)
US$381
US$283
Agoda.com
Impiana Resort Chaweng Noi(Chaweng)(Great Value!)
US$159
US$106
Agoda.com
Chaweng Regent Beach Resort(Chaweng)(Great Value!)
US$184
US$178
Hotels.com
Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort(Chaweng)(Great Value!)
US$257
Mercure Samui Chaweng Tana Hotel(Chaweng)(Great Value!)
US$77
2,690 results
All reviewspregobeach sidethai villagegarden wingbreeze spakoh samuicrossing guardsdeluxe roomchaweng beachthe main hotelbusy roadmain poolthe main roadpool viewbreakfast was amazingour honeymoonhappy hour
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 July 2007

Stayed here for a total of 5 nights separated by a trip to Koh Phangan and Koh Tao...the hotel is amazing, the location is great and i would recommend it to all. During our stay, the hotel had a Lobster night on the beach which included a show...the food was unbelievable....If i ever go back to Koh Samui, i wouldn't consider anywhere else and if you do stay there you must have dinner at Prego...Personally Samui doesn't do it for me...so my advice would be to skip it and get to the other islands.....

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
3  Thank NALondon
Reviewed 8 July 2007

Luxurious, elegant, beautiful hotel. The hotel is 5 minutes walk from the lady-boy bars of the central strip where the noise and smell is, so you are nicely tucked away.
The room is small but very modern and comfortable and clean. As we were on our honeymoon we had fowers arranged on the bed, a fruit bowl and cake in the offer. The TV has most satellite chanels as well as a DVD player! The minibar has most alcohol as well as insect repellants and other creams and free bottled water (which you can ask for as much as you want and room service staff will bring it over immediately). Every night we had room service staff come in to spray insect repellant into our room. The bathroom too is very nice and good size. The balcony is covered so you can sit on it even if you're experiencing a typical Thai rainstorm.
The staff are friendly and smiley and helpful for organising trips as well as our car hire.
The breakfast is a buffet style with so much to chose from you'd need a month to try all. There's even an omelet counter where you ask what you want and they prepare it for you within seconds.
The dinner has different styles each night from Thai to European to barbeque and the quality is extraordinary. As a special honeymoon offer, we had a candle-lit dinner which was very romantic. The restaurant is overlooking the pool and sea, and has a very relaxed and romantic feel to it.
The bar area has really cool mattresses to chillout on whilst listening to either a typical Thai band or modern chilled out music. I saw some people using their laptops so assume there's wifi but don't know about costs. There is an internet cafe 3 minutes from the hotel which is open until late at night anyway. The lunch and bar tends to be more expensive than the restaurant/bars you find outside, but it's to be expected from a 4 star hotel.
Around the corner from the hotel there also is a laundrette, which is so cheap it's definitely worth using just to get your clothes feeling refreshed.
For cheaper and a definitely unique dinner experience, strole down the beach either to the left or to the right of the hotel and stop off on the restaurants on the beach where you can eat a candle-lit lobster dinner whilst star gazing on the beach a few meters from the water. Truely amazing.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends with or without children, who want to stay somewhere safe and clean in a beautiful part of the world but away from any of the usual dirt and grime that you can get. It's paradise.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Caroline_and_Timmy
Reviewed 5 July 2007

This was our fifth visit to Thailand and we spent a lot of time researching hotels via this web-site. Thailand's standard of accommodation is second to none and this hotel was no exception. We went with some friends who had a 15 month old child and the staff couldn't do enough for them.

We booked a deluxe room over the road, and despite what others have said on this site, it was not a problem for us and spread the size of the hotel out so it seemed more intimate.

The pools were easily available and both were absolutely fine. You can only swim in the sea at high tide but this didn't cause a problem for us either.

Our room was absolutely gorgeous and the facilities generally were first class; room service, towels, cleanliness, friendly staff, informative receptionists etc etc.

We recommend this hotel heartily and would happily stay at another Amari on the strength of this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with friends
5  Thank Timgin
Reviewed 1 July 2007

I liked the hotel but I didn’t love it. It was the dearest of the hotels i stayed in and the one I liked the least. It's too expensive for what it offers. I chose it because other reviews said it was great.

I didn't opt for the breakfast with room rate because I could see they were charging 10 euro extra. The hotel I stayed in in Chiang Mai (Central Duangtawan) was 15-euro night with breakfast and the place was grand and impressive. I always think when a hotel starts quoting separate prices for breakfast rates they are always stingy mean hotels and to be avoided.

The room is as pictures show very well decorated in natural colours to keep in with surroundings. The room in cheaper hotels was just as nice however. The bathroom was okay but the towels were ancient and there was a terrible smell coming from the shower at times. The shower water was erratic changing temperature constantly as another reviewer mentioned before.

In low season you do stand a good chance of being upgraded to a deluxe room even if you only booked superior because it happened to us and other reviewers have mentioned it. This is a nice gesture. The extra seems to be a DVD player and tea/coffee maker.

We had a ground floor room facing into the garden area . You get a tiny terrace surrounded by greenery to rival the Amazon jungle and mosquitoes to go with it. I did not like the fact the hotel was split in two with Chaweng's main road in middle. It ruins the layout and makes the beach hotel side with bar/reception and pool look tiny and cramped. Compared to the size of big chain hotels in Chiang Mai and Bangkok it’s tiny. You could fit the whole amari into one of their grand lobbies.

Staff on arrival were ok but we got a rather sour check-in person. Other staff were pleasant enough. When you check out they try to get you a taxi for 400baht. This is too expensive as the airport is only 5 minutes away. It's hard to get away from the hotel without getting 'their' taxi. They become vacant and standoffish. It's only worth about 200baht to airport (total). I hate the way they try to rip off tourists like this. It didnt leave me very impressed with hotel we had just paid a fortune to stay in either.

The best thing is the location which is a minute walk to start of pub/restaurant stretch but just far enough away that its not in the noisy part.
There’s no complimentary drink on arrival as i got in the other 2 Thailand hotels. Basically Amari charge you over the odds for same thing you get cheaper elsewhere.

My advice would be to try a slightly cheaper option in Koh samui.
although much as it pains me to admit it Koh Samui itself is not that great.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
6  Thank superduper
Reviewed 15 June 2007

Overall we had a fantastic stay. Check in was pleasant (as another reviewer said, given towels & sitting down).

The room totally exceeded my expectations for a cheap package tour. The balcony view faced another hotel, but with huge trees & shrubs inbetween giving it a nice jungle feel!! (may sound odd, but it was actually very pleasant & felt remote - remember to put on mozzie spray though!) Large bed, clean, ac working, good storage space, free bathroom amneties - also a DVD player, where you can hire DVDs from the front desk (for free)

There are two parts to the hotel - beach side (main area) & across the road (which also has a pool & the more expensive rooms - apparently much quieter). I wanted to be on the beach side, so asked & received a friendly email back confirming this.

The pool was lovely, with outdoor jacuzzi & pool bar (definately recommend the frozen fruit daquiris). Pool towels given - the food was also good.

Each Saturday night they have a Thai Buffet with dancing/music by the poolside (I have seen many of these - been to thailand 15+ times) but my friends thoroughly enjoyed it & the food selection was superb

Buffet Breakfast was vast with all cusines - we had room service which was grand. Also used the hotel bar a lot after an evening out. The waitresses here were (as another reviewer pointed out) unbelievably friendly & welcoming & such an asset to the hotel.

Outside on the beach there are people selling sarongs, corn on the cob, ice cream, young coconuts, etc. I did not use the hotel Spa, but if you turn left walking down the beach there are huts where I had massages (recommend the Aloe Vera massage for sunburn!) We also rented Kayaks to go around the bay/beach. The beach was clean (read mixed reviews on this - so was happily surprised). The water was shallow & got rocky as you went further out.

We used the dive centre there which I would recommend - Richie the owner is a fantastic guide & great guy. However, my friends did not have such a great time with one of the other guides - though he seemed to be an odd one out, as everyone else was very friendly.

Chaweng Beach is the most touristy place on Koh Samui & there are many other areas that are far more remote/clean/quiet,etc. However the Amari is at the North End of Chaweng, so much quieter than the centre. (But close enough in to stroll anywhere in Chaweng)

As for another reviewers comment about being hassled, it's true as in most places people selling try & speak to you, etc, but you will be left alone if you are not interested. Just smile & say no thanks! The hassle-factor is nothing in comparison to areas of South America or Egypt. Often I have encountered people also just wanting a chat!

(The sky & sea were bluer than they look in the photos - I had a disposable camera!)

We went to the Muay Thai Boxing - I was unsure what I was going to make of it, but had a really good relaxed atmoshpere & was fun! Definately would go again.

• Stayed: May 2007