“blue lagoon - A good hotel in a fantastic location”
Review of Blue Lagoon Hotel

Blue Lagoon Hotel
Ranked #64 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Reviewed 17 September 2012

My husband and I have stayed at the Chaweng Beachcomber (3*) a number of times and really enjoyed it. We were looking forward to going back there this August but a couple of months before we were due to arrive I read on tripadviser that the pool and restaurant were closed due to renovation work. I contacted our travel agent who said that he was aware of the renovation work but had not passed this info on to me as the work was due to be completed by the end of July 2012. The travel agent agreed to contact Beachcomber and see what the state of play was. He was told that we could keep our original booking and see how the work went, or that we could transfer to their 4 * sister hotel, Blue Lagoon, that had no work being carried out. We agreed to transfer to the Blue Lagoon. They agreed to pick us up at the airport.

We caught the 8pm flight from Bangkok to Koh Samui and arrived around 9pm. After waiting for a while at Koh Samui airport we realised one of our bags had not arrived. A worker at the airport advised us that they were already aware of this and had been contacted to say it had been left behind in Abu Dhabi. We were told it would be on the next flight out of Abu Dhabi and would be at our hotel the following day. We had to go into the office and they took copies of one of our passports and gave us a form confirming that our luggage was delayed. It was only then that we remembered someone from the hotel should have been meeting us. We realised how long we had been hanging around waiting for the bag and started looking outside. Our driver had been riding round the airport waiting for us and greeted us with a big smile even though he had been waiting around.

We were allocated a room on the second floor of the hotel. The room was really nice but looked out onto a blank white wall. The next day we were offered a change of room. We were offered a ground floor room which overlooked the garden and had views of the pool and pool bar. Our room had a good sized balcony. The room had just been refurbished and had a brand new fridge; air conditioning unit ; bathroom with bath and shower and was nicely decorated. It had a Queen size bed and a single bed. The sheets and towels were always pure white. We had an in room safe; complimentary bottles of water; a beach bag containing 2 blue beach towels. Toiletries were replenished every day. There was a TV in the room with perfect reception that had a number of satellite channels including movies and sport. A really nice touch was that every night when we returned to the room there would be 2 small cookies in a plastic bag, and a plate of local fruit. There would be a card with the fruit that would say what type of fruit it was.

We soon realised that Blue Lagoon were doing some refurbishing work - to their reception area, which was the next block up from our room. The first week we were not really disturbed by the noise as we would be out by the pool during the day and by the time we returned to the room the building work had stopped. The second week things were a little different. The workmen were at work by 8.00am and one morning someone was sanding down paintwork outside our room at 07.45am. We could hear stihl saws and banging and I feel this was a bit too early when you are on holiday. Yes we could have complained but we really liked the room and we were on holiday, we just made the best of it and went to breakfast early. The choice of breakfast food was really good. There was bacon; sausages; thai options; pastries; jams; egg station; a choice of juices etc. My husband said that the coffee was really good. The waitresses looked very smart in their uniforms and were really polite and always smiling.

Breakfast was served in the Kantara restaurant. The restaurant is beautiful and goes right on to the beach. As it's name suggests the hotel is built next to a lagoon, and on a morning it was so amazing to sit eating breakfast and look out at the calmness of the lagoon.

The hotel pool is fantastic. It is one of the cleanest pools I have been in. Ball, the attendant at the pool bar, would sweep up any fallen leaves before they had chance to fall into the pool. The pool had an area that was very shallow and this was ideal for children. There were umberellas around the sunbeds. The pool bar would have happy hours, and Ball was always smiling and polite.

There are sunbeds on the beach but these have no umberellas and are shaded by the branches of a large tree. Whilst sitting on the beach we were approached a number of times by people who were walking up and down the beach. They all wanted to know the name of the hotel, and said how beautiful it was. The hotel had free internet and also had a couple of pedal bikes that you could borrow if you wanted to explore. It had a beautiful garden which is tended to everyday.

At night the hotel would have happy hours between 6pm and 9pm at the beach bar. A bottle of singha or glass of wine would be 60 baht. Bars around the hotel would be charging anything between 60-100 baht for a singha beer so it is a good offer. It was really nice sitting by the waters edge on the beach watching people passing by. The beach at this end of chaweng is quieter, and I really prefer the location of this hotel when compared to the hotels we have stayed in previously whilst in Samui (Beachcomber and Chaba Samui). The hotel is ideally situated with a number of restaurants; bars; markets within a couple of minutes walking distance.

A couple of days before we left we paid for a late check out until 4pm and our flights were reconfirmed for us. We were taken back to the airport on 1st September 2012 by the smiling driver that had picked us up two weeks earlier.

I would like to thank a few people. Thanks to those on Tripadvisor for notifying of the renovations at Beachcomber. If not for you I would not have found the oasis that is the Blue Lagoon. Thanks to all staff at the Blue Lagoon, you work really hard and your efforts are appreciated. Thanks to the really helpful man in reception who changed our room for us. When we arrived you said you had only been with the hotel for about 4 weeks, and you showed me photos of your daughter on your phone. I wish I had taken note of your name but hope your manager reads this and knows who I am talking about. I hope he realises what an asset you are!

Would I recommend this hotel. Without a doubt, even with the building work. In fact we are already thinking about coming back next August with family and friends to celebrate my husband's and my brother's 50th birthdays.

Room Tip: rooms in the block starting with room 200 overlook the pool and are quite on an evening.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank MidgetgemLeeds

Reviewed 5 September 2012

We stayed 4 nights in this hotel in late August. They are doing renovations at the moment to the front of the hotel and rooms, but don't be put off by this, once you enter the resort it is great. It is a short walk to all the main shopping and nightlife of chaweng. We stayed in a superior room overlooking the pool. The room was spacious with a good sized bathroom, Beds were comfortable and the air conditioning worked a treat. The kettle or hot water urn once you got the hang of it was good. Free Wifi in rooms was also good. The pool area was beautiful and the beach in front was great. I have read reviews saying that you cannot swim in the beach, not sure where these reviews come from, as during our stay the beach was very high and swimming was great. Breakfast was fabulous, with many choices, hot and cold buffet, cereals, toast and pastries, fresh fruit and juices etc and the best expresso coffee in thailand.
Siting out on the beach deck each morning to eat breakfast was a joy. All the staff were very accommodating and when the renovations are finished it will be well worth staying.
I really enjoyed my stay at the Blue Lagoon and would definitely stay there again.
The Girls who do the massages by the pool are great as well.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nassarij
Reviewed 25 August 2012

We spent 4 nights at the Blue Lagoon Hotel and this was our second time. I chose this hotel because of its location, walking distance to the action scene, restaurants, shops, etc and quite enough to have a good sleep at night. The beach right in front of the hotel is not good for swimming as it has a low tide but you have the option of taking the hotel shuttle to their other hotel "The Beachcomber" whose beach is nice for a swim. I just had the bad luck of being hit in the face by the umbrella stick when it became windy. I was lying with closed eyes and suddenly I felt the stick of the umbrella falling over my face and so I had two bruises one on my forehead and the other on the nose. I was lucky it did not hit any of my eyes. I would advise the hotel owner/manager to get new umbrellas as they are quite old and the sticks look rusty. I am glad I had been vaccinated against tetanus before I left for the trip. The hotel staff took me to the hospital and paid for the consultation but at the end of my stay I was presented with the hospital's bill together with the hotel bill and although I was not in agreement that I should pay for the accident, I did. They insisted that I pay the bill and then claim it from my insurance. Otherwise the staff were very nice and helpful. I also had a nice Aloe Vera massage on the gardens of the hotel at a reasonable price as I got sunburnt. The hotel is quite nice although some parts of it need some maintenance. I would just like to suggest not to put music on the bar of the swimming pool at least in the mornings as sometimes one just wants to relax and you already hear music all over the place in Koh Samui from the different restaurants and bars including the jet skis on the beach. I was surprised to see how fast the whole island develops and if it keeps this pace it will just turn into a city by the beach. On the north of the island you have more quiet beaches but you won't have the animated area you have in Chaweng. Fisherman's Village in Bophut has still the charm of a village although it also has a fair amount of restaurants and shops. This is my favourite although the beach is not as nice as Chaweng or Choeng Mon.

Room Tip: We had room 505 and it was well located near the swimming pool and beach.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 August 2012

we stayed in for one week with our two little daughters (4+6) in a villa pool view. it was great. good room with nice space. great pool. very nice staff who did their best that we will enjoy our stay. great location. very quiet, not in the center but not far from there.

Room Tip: the villa pool view are freat
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 July 2012

We stayed here for around 6 nights.
Originally we booked the rooms with a garden view, but we were not satisfied and upgraded to superior rooms in the other side of the building near the reception with extra costs.
The room we had was okay. But looked very old and needing renovation. The bathroom was okay. but the design and colours made it look very old and shabby. The bathroom was constantly out of order, the toilets wouldn't flush, there wasn't any hot water and there were always insects.
However I did find it a pleasurable stay.
The pool and the food was the best of this hotel.
The pool staff O and Shu/Saw (Whatever his name is) are lovely! we became friends after our stay, seeing them everyday whilst sunbathing!~ Shu especially was so cute and very helpful!!
The breakfast was lovely, even though it was low season and there wasn't much customers around the chefs were always making good food!
The cocktails were also lovely.
The location was good because the shops were just down the road, but you have to walk around 10-15minutes to go to the main attractions like the clubs (GREEN MANGO) however the beach that was right out side was NOT NICE!
you had to walk around 15-20minutes along the strip to go to the nicer area of the beach , where you can do watersports like Jet ski etc.
Overrall it was a lovely stay the staff are excellent and the food was tasty!~ will come back again to see my Pool staff friends =)

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank bbmuimui
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

Thank you kindly for your review and we are glad to see you had a nice stay at Chaweng Blue Lagoon Hotel!

Firstly, thank you also for the kind comments regarding our staff (I have passed your regards and your approval of their cocktail-making on to our pool boys) and we will add your opinion to the majority of others that praise our service level and make us proud of our staff.

We’re also glad that you enjoyed the food at the hotel so much, although everything is open to improvement and we’ll soon be introducing a new, better menu.

We are sorry you encountered plumbing issues with our bathrooms. As you probably noticed, we are refurbishing the lobby area (which is why our prices are currently so much lower than other 4-star hotels around us!) and, at the same time, we are replacing the air-conditioning units in the buildings around the renovation area – these are connected to the hot water system in the hotel and some water lines had to be repaired (I personally informed all the guests at breakfast – I think I remember who you are, as we didn’t have so many Londoners staying at the time, and I am fairly sure I also mentioned this to your group). We’re also sorry that the classic marble-granite bathroom design was perhaps too classic for you – however, please be assured that these bathrooms were refurbished less than three years ago.

Unfortunately insects are a common problem all over Thailand – especially in large garden areas like at the Blue Lagoon. We address this through daily room-cleaning, weekly fumigation and, of course, the geckos also help in this respect!

Around the period of the full moon (there is one today, the day after you posted your review), the water in the lagoon at our beachfront is at its lowest and this is perhaps why you weren’t satisfied with our stretch of beach. However, we also mention this on our Web site – that, at low tide, our beach is not suitable for swimming. At high tide however the beach is quite swimmable and the tide is able to wash mangrove and bracken out from the lagoon. Of course, we also offer a free shuttle service to our sister hotel, where the beach is perfect for swimming.

The Village Bungalows that you originally booked do attract some criticism as they are across the road… but this is mentioned on our Web site and we have been as clear as we can be when listing our hotel on Agoda, Expedia, etc.

Reviewed 25 June 2012

We've stayed at The Blue Lagoon at least six times so I feel rather well qualified to review it. It has always been a love hate relationship with us. The pool area is one of the best in Chaweng, and as we spent a lot of time around the pool that was always a big factor in choosing the Blue Lagoon. The Kantara Restaurant used to be very good when the Kiwi chef was there but it's not as good now since he 'left'. Breakfast has always been good however. Most of the rooms are very tired and there is always something breaking down - usually the aircon! The kettles in the rooms (we call them the water warmers) are a crazy pump-action affairs that, once you get the hang of them, are OK. The pool staff were once very good but progressively there have been less and less of them, so the service has suffered. Nice area on the beach under the trees but again because of less staff the area has become tatty and not well-cared for, with rubbish and empty glasses not being cleared and sunbeds broken and messy. The beach bar, which used to be an OK stop for a nightcap or cocktail and had a bit of life about it is now virtually unmanned and very tatty. If you want to have a drink you have sit down and wait for a member of staff from the restaurant to notice you and come out to serve you. The restaurant was rebuilt a few years ago and is a very nice building.
The last time we stayed we arrived and found the pool was being renovated. They had not told us about this, much to our disgust, and we moved out the next day. They said it would be finished in 3 days but we checked and of course it was still being retiled 2 weeks later. Over the years we have been going there it has steadily gone downhill and now appears to be run on a shoestring. The Swiss/Singaporean owner visits regularly but only seems to look for ways of cutting costs, not improving the hotel. It has the air of being on the edge of going bankrupt. The staff are like rabbits caught in the headlights as disgruntled guests berate them about something or other that has broken, gone wrong or not happened. It's a shame because it's in a great spot, has a great pool, has had great staff (although most of them have been dissillusioned with the lack of investment and have gone) and at times good food. I would love to stay there again but with this steady decline I would be very nervous about trying it again. Last time, when we moved out after one night because of the pool renovation , we went to the Dara Samui which was brilliantly run, everything worked, had a great restaurant and staff, but a small shallow pool and a narrow section of beach unlike the Blue Lagoon. So we still remember how good it was, hope that it will return to being a great place but fear that it won't under the present owner.

Room Tip: Don't bother with the beachfront villas - they're ridiculously expensive and virtually the s...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Neil M
Management response:Responded 27 June 2012

Thank you for your review and we are sorry that our hotel has gone down in your estimation over the many times you have visited. However, such reviews are helpful when gauging exactly where we are succeeding and exactly where we are failing so, again, thank you!

I have checked our files for the case you mentioned and, whilst it is our policy to inform all guests and agencies of any renovation in good time prior to their visit, this might not have happened in your case (or possibly an email was sent to a list of on-hand bookings and this was not received directly to your inbox) - for this we can only apologise. I believe this was compensated by offers of complimentary services, but you chose to change hotels as an operational swimming pool was very important to you. This, we completely understand and, while we would have loved to have taken care of you at our hotel, the comfort of our guests is the most important of our priorities so we are happy that you had a good holiday at a different hotel. As your review suggests, our hotel - which is one of the longest-established on Chaweng Beach - does need to be maintained properly otherwise we end up with problems like the air-conditioning units which you point out in your review.

However, I must disagree with your comments that the state of the hotel has worsened as I can see from other reviews since your stay, and from my personal experience during the time since your stay (I arrived here afterwards), that guest experiences have actually gotten better. This positive feedback is clear for everyone to see... please read below!

On top of this, we are midway through a full renovation of our lobby (as some past guests have mentioned it was not well-lit, the decor was unsatisfactory and it no longer felt welcoming) and the designs look rather fetching - they are shortly to be uploaded to our Web site but you can find them for the time-being on our Facebook page. (Please note that guests were informed in advance, we have relocated our reception/lobby area temporarily and we have housed all our guests away from the construction area.)

We are also systematically changing the air-conditioning units throughout the hotel as, again, this is something that our guests have repeatedly suggested we need to improve (including you). New kettles have been bought for many of the rooms also and the sunbeds have all been repaired, re-sanded and equipped with new higher quality mattresses. Measures like this not only improve the guests' experiences, but they also help save costs (by more effective power consumption, less frequent maintenance, etc), which allows us to allocate our budget into improving the guests' experiences further still.

It is true that we have had problems with staff numbers, but recruitment of *qualified* staff is more difficult than ever with the emergence of Koh Samui (and in particular Chaweng) as a world-famous tourist destination, and the large numbers of hotels and other service-based businesses that continue to open here. However, we haven't given up and we won't - we are actively looking for (and recruiting) qualified people - and, again, the reviews below from more recent stays all seem to reflect we’ve done OK so far.

On to the positives on your review - the pool is great, and now is better than at any time in the past due to the successful upgrade that unfortunately coincided with your stay! The very wide beach frontage of our hotel will never change and, as I'm sure you're aware, continually attracts a lot of praise from our guests for both the quiet and relaxation it offers and the idyllic tropical lagoon setting. And, of course our location - quietly away from the noisier part of Chaweng but within easy walking distance of, well, everything.

With regards to your room tips - it's unclear from your review when exactly you last went inside one of our Deluxe Beach Front Villas (as you have stayed with us so many times already), but they have been refurbished not that long ago and are significantly larger than Superior Rooms - in fact, well over double - and are equipped and furnished to a much higher standard. Is it possible that you have not seen them from the inside for a couple of years? Also, our bungalows across the road have generally attracted criticism from those who thought they were booking a bungalow around the pool or on the beach - for this reason we have renamed them from "Garden Bungalows" to "Village Bungalows" to avoid any confusion and we state as clearly as we can on all sales channels that offer them that they are indeed located on the opposite side of the road to the rest of the hotel. This only leaves the Superior and Deluxe Rooms, Junior Suites and Deluxe Pool View Villas; which are the ones located around the inner gardens/pool area that you recommend. (Personally the last time I stayed at the Blue Lagoon as a guest, I booked a Deluxe Pool View Villa, and found it to be perfect - but taste is a subjective thing!)

Thank you again for your review and, despite the concerns you mention in your review, we hope you choose to return to us.

Reviewed 11 June 2012

My sister and I stayed here for a girls trip away in late December 2011, great price, our rooms were cleaned every day, staff was very friendly! (especially LEE at reception) Only a short walk to shops, bars etc and lovely view of the beach when having breakfast! (see my photo) Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Aimee E
EAMBL, Manager at Blue Lagoon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2012

Thank you kindly for your review!

Our gorgeous view over the beach at breakfast is well documented in TripAdvisor and we are glad you added your voice to the existing recommendations.

Most visitors also agree that our conveniently central location makes it easy to get to where you want to go, but our situation on north Chaweng Beach also means you can relax without being disturbed by noise from jet-skis and the like.

We are aware that we offer great value, and we've had a lot of guests from other 4-star hotels move to us for this reason.

We print out these reviews so that our staff know where they're succeeding or could do with improving - it's part of our revised training program - and I'll personally pass on your regards to our night reception Mr. Lee.

We hope that you'll return as you suggest in your review so we'll be looking forward to seeing you again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chaweng
Iyara Beach Hotel & Plaza
#70 of 185 in Bophut
Chaweng Cove Beach Resort
Chaweng Cove Beach Resort
#33 of 104 in Chaweng

Been to Blue Lagoon Hotel? Share your experiences!