“Great time in a great resort with A1 staff”
Review of Blue Lagoon Hotel

Blue Lagoon Hotel
Ranked #68 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
New Plymouth, New Zealand
“Great time in a great resort with A1 staff”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We have just returned to NZ from Koh Samui. We planned to spend four weeks in Thailand, three of these around Koh Samui, Koh Toa and Koh Phagnang and a few days in Bangkok. We started off in Bangkok and then three days later made our way to Koh Samui. We had no accommodation booked as we wanted to check out the property ourself before committing. We arrived in Koh Samui at 6:30pm, started off at the Iyara (where we had stayed previously) but after a cold reception we wandered into a neighbouring property, the Blue Lagoon. We were greeted by Achara who introduced herself as the Assistant Manager. My partner and I instantly warmed to Achara's friendly disposition, helpful manner and willingness to negotiate a good price for a room, she was just brilliant. However, we did want to compare with another property next door, the Amari. Eventually, after a "not that interested" reception at the Amari we decided to go back to the Blue Lagoon.
I am so glad we did. We had only intended to stay a week but we spent the whole three weeks of our vacation at this property. There were a few hiccups, to be honest, but these were addressed immediately by the staff. Our room was really good, good bed and bathroom/toilet and lovely clean sheets and towels every day. Great balcony with a view to the sea and pool. The property is beautifully landscaped and right on what we thought was the best part of Chaweng Beach because it is the quieter end and away from the very famous and noisy Ark Bar. I would hate to be down that end!!!
The swimming pool is probably the best around that area as it is huge and I would imagine in the busy season it would be essential to have a pool of that size. We did notice that a lot of the hotels along that strip do not have very large pools.
The breakfast is fantastic but best of all about the breakfast is the location of the restaurant the Cantara (right on the beach) And talking about the Cantara, we ate dinner there quite often and do recommend it. It is so romantic at night.
But most of all, what stood out for us during our stay at the Blue Lagoon, were the front of house staff. We felt like part of the family and didn't want to go. Achara and Laura..... thanks for making our stay so memorable. Art and Antoine thank you to you too.
Thank you for responding so quickly to our requests. We will return.

Room Tip: Ask for Room 517! It's right on the corner and upstairs. Has a sea view from one window and a...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Marg888

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Epping Essex
Reviewed 17 August 2013

From start to finish -

We went to this hotel 2 days before checking in, to see what it was like. They showed us a room which was in a sort of council block building. We looked at the room and it wasn't too bad, everywhere else was sold out so we booked for three nights paying 3000 baht a night.
When checking in we had a different room underneath, here's what happened.

- the walls were covered in dirt, Mosquitos everywhere, bathroom filthy and dated, toilet grubbey, outside on balcony pipe work visible in the grounds unfinished work being carried out, paint all over balcony and floor, basically a disgusting room. We complained and they showed us another room next door. EXACTLY the same. Then again for the third time and the same again.

So I got fed up with speaking to the trainees and got the manager out, a lady with Glass's claiming she has been in hotel management for over 17 years.

I showed her the rooms myself and asked how she could possibly put people in these room to which she didn't have an answer. We walked back to there eption with her and then the arguments started.

I started off by saying you cannot provide the quality you stated on your website or verbally before booking. I aske for a refund so we could go somewhere else to which she replied "no one gets refunds, I wouldn't even give you 100 baht back" !!!!

I told her she is a poor excuse of a manager and if she can put families and couples in this room then she has no conscience. Her answer to me?

- "we are advertised as a 4 star hotel, but we are a 2 star that's why you only paid 3000 baht a night. "

Basically rooms are filth, staff are the worst I have ever come across in my life.

Please if you are considering staying here don't! I'm trying to help people here don't do it, the good reviews on here must come for people that have never travelled before or if they have only to butlins!

• Stayed August 2013
9 Thank Jack D

Travellers are raving about these Chaweng hotels

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I stayed at this hotel on two occasions in June 2013 whilst holidaying in Thailand. The hotel is a two minute walk from the hustle and bustle of chaweng beach nightlife which gives the hotel the ideal location. The swimming pool area and restaurant are fabulous although I found the price of the fruit shakes a little expensive for the size of the shake compared to other hotels. The room I stayed in was a delux room on the hotel complex side. The room was a good size with all the amenities required with a good balcony overlooking the gardens and swimming pool. All furniture was of excellent quality. The only thing stopping me from giving this hotel a rating of excellent was their very poor Wifi system. On my first visit I was promised that they would have this resolved for the second visit, but it wasn't and it made it very difficult to plan next hotels for my ongoing holiday. The only good thing is that there is a very good coffee shop within a minutes walk off site which has high speed Internet. In completing this review I must say the hotel have the best receptionists in the whole of Thailand especially Christina from the Philippines who would go out of her way to help. Thank you girls for all your help and being so friendly.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Smoggy-boy1964
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We have stayed at the Blue Lagoon in Chaweng previously and more than a few times. Ten years had passed since our last stay and we booked a short holiday there in April 2013.
When we read the reviews the Hotel had received from some guests in 2012, we were concerned as there was much negativity, so we contacted some of the more recent reviewers for further information. We made the decision to go ahead as planned and we certainly do not regret that choice.

Airport pick up - Our transfer driver was waiting patiently at the meeting point with our names clear and large on his plaque. The vehicle, a local version of a SUV or Suburban easily took our four travellers plus luggage. A very short and smooth ride to the hotel.

Check in formalities - simple and straight forward and the Front Desk staff genuinely helpful and friendly. Escorted to our rooms by the staff we were shown how the card keys operated the doors and power, where the amenities in the rooms (hair dryer, safe, etc, etc, were located.) Overall a very smooth arrival procedure. One hiccup was that we had specifically requested interconnecting rooms and there was a chest of drawers standing in front of both sides of the interconnecting doors. A single telephone call to reception and this was addressed very promptly.

Rooms - Our rooms were very clean, properly aired, the beds very comfortable and the bed linen spotless and fresh. Yes, the rooms were a little dated and would benefit from some cosmetic work, but while the heavy teak furniture and beds are not to everyone’s taste, they do fit with the character of the hotel. Special mention of our housekeeper who did a brilliant job keeping them that way during our stay right down to arranging our kids travel buddies' by size on their beds.

Gardens - On arrival the gardens were beautiful, but were a bit overgrown and in need of attention. On our second day a team of gardeners were hard at work doing just that. By the time we left, the effort being put in could be easily seen. The Blue Lagoon is built in the Thai 'longhouse' style with the three major wings encapsulating the central gardens and pool area. The poolside bungalows sit between the longhouse wings and the beach.

Pool - B.E.A.utiful... - recently refurbished in blue tile and surrounded by palm trees with what I consider the best views out over the lagoon. The Jacuzzi section was being replumbed with new pumps and controls during our visit so that should be in full operation by now. The pool bar is staffed, but the barman would actually go to the restaurant to get any drinks we ordered, very friendly and polite young man, working hard on his English.

Restaurant - The Kantara is also in the traditional Thai style and was built in the past ten years or so. Buffet style breakfast was ample and with a good selection of local and western style breakfasts. The duty Chef will prepare your eggs in your choice of style while you watch.
The restaurant staff were very attentive and very friendly without being overwhelmingly so. They made dining there most enjoyable.
Dinner - The Kantara's location makes for a wonderful dinner especially if you are there during the rise of the full moon. The Blue Lagoon is effectively on the East side of the island and while not getting the tropical sunsets, the rise of the full moon makes up for that.
The current menu is quite simple and should cater for most tastes, the meal was fresh and very tasty, and was quite well priced, especially in comparison to some of the restaurants in town. Diners have the options of inside dining, alfresco on the deck outside the restaurant or on the beach itself, adjacent to the beach bar. Again service was good and the staff lovely.

The Beach - Located on the northern end of Chaweng Beach, the Hotel, stretches from the main road through Chaweng through to the sheltered beach of the actual lagoon. Offshore and to the left, a privately owned island and to the right a reef island, shelter the beach from any strong waves. The lagoon is quite shallow in this area and more suited to paddling or wading but is a perfect depth for those with children who just want to splash about. On arrival, there was an amount of natural debris scattered around, what you might expect following a big tide or small storm, leaf litter and fallen palm fronds but certainly not discarded bottles or trash. By our second day all this had disappeared and the beach was looking far improved, especially where the gardens team had raked it smooth and picture postcard crosshatch - a very nice attention to detail.
There is a heavy rope that runs along the beach at the high tide mark. This rope marks the Hotels part of the beach as distinct from the public part. The beach sellers do not usually cross into the Hotel’s area unless invited so you can enjoy the beach with a minimum of interruptions.

The Beach Bar - lovely spot for a cold beverage, cocktail or snack. Service was prompt and polite and the barman quick to respond to guest needs. Sea kayaks are available for hire, from the Beach bar, by the hour and at a very reasonable rate. Hiring them from and returning them to the Beach Bar has the added plus of being able to immediately address any thirst you might have worked up while paddling out and about the lagoon.

The hotel also has a number of bungalows, across the road from the main property and away from the beach, I cannot comment on them as we did not actually stay in them.

During the few days we were there, a concerted effort in addressing a range of issues that have been raised by other guests in late 2012 and early 2013, in and around the Hotel was clearly being made. While the Hotel may not be to everyone's taste or expectations, I feel it fair to say that this hotel, under the guidance of the new Management Team is now working very hard to regain its place amongst other accommodations available on Koh Samui.

Summary:
Staffs were very friendly and polite and most spoke English to a good level (much better than my limited Thai)
Our rooms were clean, ready, and adequately provisioned, just a little out of date and would benefit from some cosmetic freshening up.
Restaurant food was good and well priced.
Pool - Excellent.
Location - Excellent.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Jeffery_the_Dinosaur
Reviewed 9 May 2013

My family and I stayed at this hotel in February for a week and we felt the hotel itself would be rated 2 stars at most. The only thing that we enjoyed was swimming in the pool. We had a garden bungalow on the other side of the road. The furniture is really old and the room smelt very musty. I never had a decent nights sleep as the air con was really noisy and rattled and the whole vibe of the place didnt feel safe. Breakfast was ok juice was overly sweet and you couldn't drink it without watering it down. Found toe nail clippings on the bathroom floor when we first arrived..yuck! Overall experience was nothing to rave about. We stayed at a different hotel in lamai that cost the same as blue lagoon and it felt like 5 stars compared. There are plenty of nicer hotels for the same price that's way better quality so shop around. Staying at a nicer modern hotel makes all the difference to your holiday. Cheers

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank Savanakh
sirowanp, Front Office Manager at Blue Lagoon Hotel, responded to this review, 10 May 2013
Dear Valued Guests,

First and foremost I would like to offer my most sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused.

We were very saddened that you were not satisfied with your rooms and for that, we deeply apologize. We have taken note of your comments and will follow up and improve. We are currently touching up all of our rooms to keep them in their usual pristine conditions.
Please trust that all the challenges stated will be addressed.

We do hope that you will have a change of heart and allow us to welcome you back to Chaweng Blue Lagoon again.

Regards,

Sirowan
Tampere, Finland
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Stayed at a garden bungalow which are across the street from the reception and main hotel complex. They did not promise much in the booking site but still left me disappointed. My bungalow was in desperate need of maintenance and renovation. Front door lock, air-con, shower etc. were barely functioning properly. Furniture in bad shape and badly fixed. Good thing they keep the bungalows clean. Free wifi is advertised but it was only usable by the reception. No coverage around garden bungalows, pool and breakfast areas had coverage but wifi didn't work. Breakfast could have been OK but buffet tables very empty and a huge queue formed for the egg station as there was hardly anything else to eat. Pool area is good and there is access to the beach. The beach was narrow but I guess it depends on the tide.

Location is the best thing with this hotel. Very short walk and you are in the middle of everything. This is pretty much the last resort on the north(?) end of Chaweng.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Niko_Tampere
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review . The Team at Chaweng Blue Lagoon is very sorry to hear of your disappointment with regards to facilities and service. As customer service remains our top priority, feedback such as yours enable us to improve our service, facilities and therefore we are very grateful to you for bringing the issue to our attention.

On behalf of the management team, please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused to you and your partner, please be advised that your experience in no way reflects our dedication to our valued guests.

We would also take this opportunity to thank you for your patronage and look forward to welcoming you again soon.

All the Best

Sirowan
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2013

My husband and I, and other family members, have stayed at the sister hotel of the blue lagoon (Chaweng Beachcomber) a number of times since 2002. At the end of Aug/beg Sept 2012 we stayed at the Blue Lagoon due to the Beachcomber having renovation work. We had a really good holiday (as I stated in the review I wrote Sept 2012). The staff were friendly and helpful and the room was really clean. The Pool and the area surrounding it was fantastic. The location of the hotel is amazing - right on one of the best parts of Chaweng Beach. Ironically the Blue Lagoon was also doing renovations when we arrived and were rebuilding a new reception area. We had a few minor issues but these were quickly rectified by the staff. I was therefore saddened to read that a number of reviews from late 2012 onwards suggested that standards had dipped and that a number of issues needed to be addressed. Recent reviews seem to indicate that the issues have now been resolved and that guests are really enjoying their experience of staying at the hotel. I am really glad that the Blue Lagoon is getting good reviews again as our experience was really good and I would recommend the hotel to anyone going to Samui who wants to be close to the nightlife, whilst being able to shut out the noise of samui once they walk into the hotel area. Well done to all at Blue Lagoon, and we hope to be able to visit you again next year.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MidgetgemLeeds
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chaweng
Iyara Beach Hotel & Plaza
Chaweng Resort
Chaweng Resort
#67 of 104 in Chaweng
Baan Chaweng Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Blue Lagoon Hotel? Share your experiences!