“Grumpy, Sporadic Service In An Average Place”
Review of Chaba Samui Resort

Chaba Samui Resort
Ranked #32 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Melbourne, Australia
“Grumpy, Sporadic Service In An Average Place”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

It seems as though I'm in the minority when I say that I didn't enjoy Chaba. Be that as it may, my experience involved dealing with surly, lazy staff and unkempt accommodation that was generously 2.5-star. For example, I'm not sure it's too much to expect the room to be made up daily, and yet...
The restaurant is pleasant enough, but most everything else is slightly off. The hot water didn't work perfectly, the pool was closed for a week longer than advertised;. The gym roof is littered with mould and looks minutes from bursting with pooled water.
I would recommend many of the other above-average places on Samui and stay away of Chaba - it is certainly not worth the price. Small rooms and unhappy staff are not what I've come to expect from Chaweng.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Mount Isa, Australia
Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

This is the second time I have stayed at Chaba Samui. Both times Tony the guest manager has been there and he does his utmost best to help you out and do everything he can to make your stay a good one! The rooms are a bit outdated and the bathroom is a bit under the weather. But it was all clean, the housekeeping is good. You don't go on holidays to stay in your room! The location of the hotel is perfect and we booked out tours and mopeds through Tony and were not disappointed...

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alex111189
maesteg
Reviewed 11 January 2014

this is my second time staying at the chaba this time thy gave me a ocean room but there were still noise at night i thought on my first visit it was due to the reggie bar but it was the resturant bar next to the hotel but as on my last visit i loved the hotel staff all great benz on reception knew me from my last visit so did a few others like rose the ladyboy and tony the manager i had a room on the ground floor over looking the garden not realy private when curtian open because of all guest useing the pool or going for breakfast .but as my last review the time share scum with thier scratch cards were still operating on the strip .apart from that the hotel had a great family friendly feeling

Room Tip: higher up more privesy
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank valleyboyMaesteg
Manchester
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We are off to koh samui in February on our honeymoon and my wife's birthday combined! I did,nt do my homework to well until I had actually booked and paid for the trip and hotel! Chaba Samui Resort. The minor issue was that I thought all the rooms had a sea view with balcony? WRONG I had booked a deluxe lake wing room! PANIC has I wanted everything to be perfect for when we get there! Sitting on the balcony at night listening to the ocean lapping onto the shore How ROMANTIC! Anyways I decided to contact Chaba Group and see if there was anything they could do for me? A lady named Cora emailed me with what I can only say was the best possible news? That not only will they move our room from the lake wing to the Ocean Wing, But they will upgrade us for free.(hope they don't put us on the ground floor). If from what we have seen from photos and the service we have already received from the company. We believe our honeymoon will be fantastic? Here's looking to February. full review of hotel on our return.

Room Tip: Never be shy to own up to your own mistakes? You can always try to but the wrong to a RIGHT
Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank RedMancs
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 19 December 2013

So after about 10 trips to Koh Samui we decided to return to the Chaba Samui for the second time. We like it down this end of Chaweng because it is a fair distance away from the nightclubs and bustle but close enough to walk. The first time we were upgraded and the room was just delightful even though Décor is old fashioned. This time we were not so lucky, firstly we were told that there was no double bed available so we had to take 2 singles, They did offer to push them together but that didn't happen till 4 days into our stay. The room was very small and cramped. We also thought that we would get free WiFi because it was advertised on the website. I was forced to pay 500 Baht for 24 hours internet use. As it happened, the 500 baht of internet lasted us for many days, mainly because we could not get internet in our room. Very Frustrating, On day 4 we were relocated to a ground floor room with a double bed as per our first request. We paid extra to stay in the
Ocean wing because the rooms are better and we were disappointed with the first room that they provided to us. Staff are very nice, I would advise don't go in November, its first time we have ever rained with a long duration. Make sure you go eat at Khao San, best thai food anywhere.

Room Tip: Ground Floor Ocean Wing ONLY
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Catherine T
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 5 December 2013

As mentioned by other viewers, the size of the room are big and with all basics required. Noise is an issue in most of the rooms. Band sound come around toward your room in 360 degrees. Reception people are one of the "interesting groups" in either ways, nice in chatting with you, but when asked for some tourist or basic advise on trips or restaurant, they avoid giving you any positive answers plus their answers changes every time, I am glad that I did my own trip research that I don't need to relay on them. Stayed 5 nights and saw them arguing/ advising with guests for more than 5-6 times. However under the price and the location, its ok for me.

Room Tip: Therefore, don't hope to depend on their tour desk(the desk is just a desk with agent flyers on...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank mcmagmcmag
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 24 November 2013

The rooms themselves are OK - large and in reasonable condition. The problems are as follows:

1)Reception - everything was too hard for them. The lady in charge grizzled when you asked for the smallest things (like the wifi password) and was unapologetic for the issues I encountered during my stay.

2) The wifi is rubbish - lasts an hour and drops out constantly

3) My room lost power three times - I had to change rooms because the TV and air conditioner stopped working.

4) It's probably a little far from the action but that's a minor gripe.

5) Both rooms I stayed in had two single beds. I was told they had run out of rooms with double beds so I'll never know if they actually exist but I certainly didn't get what I signed up for.

In closing, Thai hospitality is excellent - everywhere else but here. Come if you get a good rate and have low expectations but this is a very basic place with woeful customer service.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank JamesMSingapore

Travellers are raving about these Chaweng hotels