“The worst Thailand Experience I have ever had”

Chaweng Regent Beach Resort
Ranked #19 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Reviewed 2 March 2010

When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted kindly and shown to our room.
We had chosen and paid for a deluxe villa. What we were given was a room in a long outdoor corridor which had a permanent laundry and cleaning cart parked outside of it and a horrid sewerage smell which seemed to be there 24hrs a day. The room itself had mould in the bathroom, NO fly wire on the windows or on the doors (ridiculous for an area like Koh Samui where the mosquitoes are rampant) and it had a general musty smell.
For a 4 star hotel I believe this is way under standard and more like a local 1 star motel!

We decided that due to the reasons above and the staff not offering another room when we asked that we would leave Koh Samui early and head to Bangkok. We spoke with the transfer company who were brilliant in assisting us with amending flight times and transfer times. Once we had this done we approached reception at the Chaweng Regent to advise we would be leaving 3 days early. The response I received from the receptionist was that we would have to pay for an additional nights accommodation as that is what the policy was!
I asked how could we possibly be charged an extra night when we were leaving 3 days early and not asking for any refund. I asked to speak to the manager and to be shown a copy of this policy as I had certainly not been advised of it, the receptionist disappeared for 30 minutes while I waited. After sitting there for 40 minutes and no one assisting me I asked again, the other receptionist advised me to go to my room and that the manager would come and see me.
By 9pm that evening NO one had come to see me. I went back to reception and spoke to the same receptionist who simply repeated the policy with no explanation as to why the manager had not responded.

I asked to speak to the manager again and was told they had gone for the day. Another receptionist came to speak to me and repeated the policy. I again asked to see a copy of this policy and she told me that she couldn't show me as it was a policy between the hotel and the travel agency who booked my trip. She said that my travel agent should have told me about this policy and that we had to pay.

I said I refuse to pay for something you cannot show me and that is supposedly a contract between travel agent and the hotel. She said she would speak to the manager and get back to me.

The next morning I went to reception and was given a letter which was pre written. The letter was for us to sign and it said something along the lines of "we will not charge you the additional night if you do not complain to your travel agent"

This is a revolting abuse of power and I am appalled at the poor treatment we received at this hotel.

Our flight to Bangkok was in the afternoon on our 3rd day there and when we checked out we were charged a half day fee to stay in the room until 2pm. We paid this as we were so over dealing with the hotel staff we just wanted to leave.

Never again will I stay at this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
4  Thank KarenM097
Denis M, Manager at Chaweng Regent Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2017

Thank you for taking the time sharing your important comments with us. We are very sorry to read that you didnt have the experience you plan to have and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

the Management

Write a ReviewReviews (1,895)

Reviewed 1 March 2010

On arrival we were told there was no room for us at the resort (even after paying up front some 4 months ago). We were sent to their "sister resort" called Melati at Tongsai Bay for the first few nights. We were upgraded into royal suites on our return to Chaweng Regent and they were great rooms. However the mosquitoes were everywhere - even when they sprayed the room you were still eaten at night in bed. Apart from that (and the toilet that kept blocking) the place was really good.
The towels on the pool chairs early in the morning happens everywhere - so if you can't beat them join them! If you let the chair go later in the day you cannot necessarily get one when you want one. So once you get the chair - keep it!
The resort is right in the middle of everything - Chaweng is a really busy beach. Dont go here if you want a nice secluded holiday.
You are not troubled by the noise of the main street at all - only the fireworks going off at all hours of the night on the beach (and some noise from local beach bars). Nothing to worry about too much though.
We were sorry we did not eat in Red Snapper - instead we ate in the other restaurant on the beach. It was okay but we had much better meals at other places.
All in all it was a good holiday - but I think we did prefer Melati Resort even though it was more isolated away from everything. It was good to experience both resorts so it all worked out for the best.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
NickBauer, General Manager at Chaweng Regent Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2010

Valued guest,

We take note of the challenge experienced at the Chaweng Regent for instant improvement.
At the same time we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our sister property the luxurious Melati Beach Resort & Spa.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to either property.

With kind regards,

Group General Manager

Reviewed 24 February 2010

Great hotel to spend your holiday, very nice complex , with very friendly staff.

Perfect breakfast and absolute perfect location on a great beach.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple

Valued guest,

Thank you for your praise,hope to see you very soon again.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 15 February 2010

We stayed in one of the cottages which was small but quaintly decorated. Although close to our neighbours we couldn't hear them from the bedroom. The only indication that the rooms next door were occupied was the noise of the airconditioner that can be heard from the bathroom. The room was quite cramped for two adults but you don't come to Samui to lie around in the room. The water pressure in the shower is not great and the bathroom is dark, while the bedroom curtains let a lot of light in at night. There are a number of very popular beach bars nearby so if you are hoping to get an early night expect to be woken by fireworks exploding overhead into the small hours. The airconditioner was effective but loud. Housekeeping was great with frequent scatterings of fresh flowers around the room, fresh fruit every day and a daily spraying for mosquitos in and outside the room which really works. On nights when we visited other resorts we always came back with several insect bites but had none when we stayed around the Regent.
The resort generally is well laid-out and quiet. Our room was directly opposite the children's play park which we thought would be a noise issue but we hardly heard a peep from it. All the food was great, breakfast was a huge spread every day and other meals from the restaurant or beach bar were all pleasant. The staff are great, from the warm welcome to the helpfulness around the beach and pools. They don't seem to expect tips and even the smallest gratuity earned us a loyal following from several waiters who were extra attentive thereafter. Another nice touch is that the hotel has claimed part of the beach for itself which means you are less hastled by beach vendors here than at some of the cheaper neighbouring places.
The fitness room was nice, never busy, well airconditioned and adequately equipped. The spa is extra special, a lot more expensive than the street vendors of course but you get what you pay for. After trying a few beach massages and then the in-house spa we didn't feel the need to leave the resort again.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple

Valued guest,

Thank you for your review.We are gradually re-modelling our resort for your future pleasure,so that you may enjoy a fresh look on our accomodations portfolio on your next visit.

With kind regards,

Reviewed 10 February 2010

Centrally located opposite the main markets and right on the beach. Bar on the beach as well as great restaurant and one of the 2 pools. One has a swim up bar, both are really good. Everything was clean, staff very pleasant and the gardens quite pretty.

Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business

Valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time in posting your review.We look forward to your next visit.

KInd regards,

Reviewed 6 February 2010

We stayed at Chaweng Regent for 7 nights after much deliberation between this hotel and Centara Grand, where we have stayed on other occassions.

We arrived at the hotel at 10 am and even though check in wasn't until later, we were swiftly checked in and shown to our Premier room, which was spacious with a lounger, separate wardrobe area, outside terrace, shower and large hot tub. The room was spotless, with a flat screen and DVD player.

The hotel was located close to bars and restaurants on the main strip, walking distance to neighbouring bars. One disadvantage we had when we stayed at the Centara Grand previously, we were forever getting motorbike taxis.

Breakfast was included in our package, which offered a great varied buffet. We did not eat at the hotel at lunch times or in the evenings as there are many specialist seafood restaurants on the main road and along the beach side with much more diverse menus and reasonably priced. Schnitzel house is a must, the full house every night speaks for itself and this restaurant has been here for years, as has the excellent chef Kung.

In general at other restaurants this time we found Thai food on Samui to be diluted to western tastes. If you want to try proper authentic Thai food, cross the road, head left and second right, by the gallery, past Royal India (a very good indian restaurant!) there are traditional Thai cafe style set ups here and you can get a Thai curry for 40 baht (80p). There is 30 baht a kilo laundry (including ironing!) service available on this road too (so you can pack light and shop!).

Massages were expensive at the hotel considering you are in Thailand, probably the reason why spa staff were offering free 5 minute tasters to guests around the hotel. My Friend (not mine!) but a professional Thai massage parlour has many outlets, larger ones before Centara Grand on the main road and there are other masseurs along the beach front too. What better way to have a Thai massage...on the beach bed with the sea in the background? The ladies outside OP Bungalow to your left are good, Nu in particular.

Sunloungers were plentiful, although you need to "reserve with towel" by 9am to get a decent spot on the beach. There are many available by the second pool (not the beachside one). The beach is nice outside the hotel and it probably is the best beach front along this stretch. My husband walked up the beach and said that ours was one of the nicest and "The Library" (not sure if that's the name of their restaurant) was really smart. The beach vendors are friendly and don't hassle you.

Taxi back to Samui airport - just hail one from the street, much, much cheaper than the hotel's for the 10 minute ride. We made arrangements with a driver on the street the night before, but surprisingly there were plenty driving on the main road at 6 in the morning, picking up clubbers on their way back to hotels - really!

Staff are courteous and attentive. They responded to requests swiftly, nothing was too much trouble for them.

If we had to choose between this hotel and Centara Grand, I honestly don't know which one I would go for. Centara IS very Grand and service is exceptional there too. Balconies with sea views at the Grand could possibly sway it for me, but then the modernised Premier rooms at Chaweng Regent would sway me back to this hotel! This hotel is certainly better located for all amenities on the main road and at the same time away from the hustle bustle.

PS try to coincide your trip with a full moon party (and book accommodation on the party island so that you don't have to worry about getting the boat and taxi back! (Heard the 2am boat had a 2.5hr wait of scrum)).

ENJOY!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple

Valued guest,

Thank you for giving us the thumbs up.We look forward to being at your service again on your next trip.

With personal regards,

Reviewed 26 January 2010

Travelled to Koh Samui on my own for a week of R+R, chose this hotel from reviews I read on Tripadvisor and I was not dissapointed. Stayed in a deluxe room (which is better than a superior, although the name does not imply that) The location is excellent, although the beach is not exactly private as one person here has mentioned, people in transit walk over an back past, but it seems only the people from the hotel swim in the sea in front of the hotel and the loungers on the beach are only for hotel guests, it also has a fairly large pool just back from the beach, I only swam in this the first day as the sea was great. The resort is set in a tropical garden which is quiet and feels like paradise, step out the front of the hotel and you are right in the busy centre of town, with shops, restaurants and bars. The hotel staff are very friendly, pleasant and courteous. I had food at the beach restaurant and the Red Snapper and they were both excellent, good food and very well presented. The Red Snapper, I saw was voted one of Thailand's top restaurants and it deserved this honour. Eating in the hotel may be more expensive than the restaurants in the town but compared to home it was very cheap. I put alot of drink, food etc down to my room and was surprised how small my bill was when checking out!
I also used the well equiped fitness room and spa, the staff here were helpful and very pleasant also.
Only negative I found that the idea of planting you towel early in the morning on the best positioned loungers, which is an idea allegedly pioneered by the Germans on the Costa del Sol, has now spread worldwide, I saw many loungers with towels on them at breakfast and then were not in use all day. The question my friends asked me, 'could you bring a guest back to the hotel :-)' yes no problem, if your guest showed her identity card at reception and you paid the hotel 1200 baht.
I will certainly return to Koh Samui and will again stay at this beautiful hotel.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
NickBauer, General Manager at Chaweng Regent Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2010

Valued guest,

We are pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us and will return.

Thank you for your continued patronage.