“not a good experience in Samui”

Synergy Samui Resort
Ranked #10 of 68 Chaweng B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed in the synergy resort ( and I use the word resort loosely)for 4 nights. We chose this resort for its location after having previously booking another resort that was on the other side of the island.

We booked through one of the information centres in Kho Samui and were told that this is the newest resort in Chaweng. Sometimes being the newest isnt the best. The beach location is gorgeous and the pool and restaurant area and the best part of this hotel. it is situated a long way from the main night life, but really everything along the main stretch of road is only a maximum of 30min walk from one end to the other. its about a 15 min walk to the central shopping centre. there are some fantastic restaurants right out the front on the main street along with the usual shopping and massage parlors.

First impressions are not great. it looks like they have run out of money and do not have a standout sign and the driveway is gravel and looks incomplete. They need to have easier access from the street when you walk in as you have to walk all the way around past reception to get to any of the rooms along the gravel driveway.

We were booked into room 201 and were told that the delux Jacuzzi was over 100 sq but when we arrived it became evident that this measurement was for the inside and outside areas of the villa. the rooms are all quite small and I would not recommend having more than 2 people in any of their rooms. ( they told me that there rooms are for a max of 3 but are really deisgned for couples) we had to have a spare rollaway bed in the room which left us absolutely no room for our suitcases. they have a type of lounge bed in one section of the room ( they class this as the living area ) that is fastened to the floor, maybe if this could be moved you would have more room for bags etc.

The bathroom is so small and has no storage space at all. There is a sink, toilet and shower (with a door on the other side of the shower leading outside to the spa on the outside deck) with no bench at all in the bathroom for any toiletries. there isnt even a towel rail.

The beds are extremely hard and the pillows are very uncomfortable.

Be very careful walking on the floors as they get slippery especially with a floor mat down.

From the first day we had issues with the air conditioner not cooling and there was a terrible problem somewhere with the plumbing as the room had a horrible sewerage smell. even after asking for another room the office staff were not very accommodating, especially when almost half the resort was empty.After complaining for 2 days we were finally moved to one of the pool villa rooms, This room was much nicer and the bathroom was huge ( with a lot of wasted space really ) but we at least had room for our bags and there is some bench space. But all the rooms are too expensive for what you get.

The staff at the pool area and the breakfast are lovely and the food and beverage manager should be promoted to manager of the whole place. he couldnt be more helpful. compared to the front desk staff and especially the manager, he is the best asset this place has. the breakfast is quite basic and the cold meat is not kept on ice or refrigerated so not advisable to eat. they offer fresh cooked eggs which are great but other than some toast its pretty basic.

The manager was very rude and very unhelpful. when we checked out we asked about transport to the airport and she said the price is Thb 450 and she would book it for us with plenty of time to get to the airport. when we returned to meet the taxi we were shocked that she hadnt even booked it when it finally arrived we were concerned about missing our flight. we soon realise why she charged us more than the taxis were charging right out the door ( thb 300 to the airport) she books one of her private vehicle so she gets her kick back. If our flight hadnt been delayed we would have missed it and in turn missed our connecting international flight. We had to wait in the reception area with no fan or supplied water while she hid herself in her air conditioned office. When asking her how much longer the taxi would be she yelled at us ( very unprofessional ) that if we wanted to organise our own taxi she will call and cancel the booking.

I would not recommend this resort when staying in Kho Samui. i did not take many photos as I am happy to forget this experience.

Room Tip: the older rooms are actually the better rooms unless you get a pool front beach view pool villa
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Linny4086

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We have just returned from our trip to Samui like yesterday, and it is a beautiful, laid-back island and Chaweng beach is gorgeous, but it can be cleaned up much better as there was so much junk outside of the resort. Other than that, the Chaweng strip is a fun and interesting place to stay and definitely not as seedy as Patong. The Thai people in Samui have finally let us realize that Thai hospitality does still exist.
Now on to Synergy - this resort has a sort of exclusive feel to it. It is very clean, modern and stylish. The villa itself (we stayed in Villa Deluxe 403) was kinda small and tight especially since we had an extra bed for my kid, but I think without the extra bed it would still be kinda small. On the other hand, the bathroom is HUGE! Like half the size of the villa. But it's nice, the villa has a Scandinavian design to it. Personally, the villas 401, 402 are the best for they face the beach, However, where we stayed 403 is good too and 404 we saw was also good position.
Sorry the only photos I took are of the bathroom but we were too busy enjoying ourselves lol. It has only limited villas and very nice gardens and grounds for 1 and a half years.
The best part of the resort - the infinity pool, their deck chairs, and their pool bar. Gorgeous! Very well thought-out design. Their pool is so addictive we couldn't stop swimming in it! And also their breakfast area is practically on the beach with a gorgeous view. There is also a small gym which is very new and my hubby used it alot.

Location- it's a little towards southern Chaweng so a little further down from Central shopping mall and all the noisy bars but we didn't care as we weren't there for clubbing. But walk right outside Synergy and there are many shops, massage spas and food to eat and walking to Central takes only 15mins slow walk.

Staff - I loved most of them. I say most of them because I would exclude 1 of the front desk male staff that wasn't very helpful at all and spoke like he was on sleeping pills all the time. But there was another 1 male staff who checked us in and carried our bags to our room when we arrived was great.
I loved the cleaning ladies, and all the F&B staff. Especially Veera or Weera, he's the supervisor or the in charge of F&B I think. They must keep him and promote him. And thank you to Miss Weng as well, the manager of the resort overall, she led the excellent and attentive service from them and I hope they will continue for ages to come as this will definitely give Synergy a good reputation. Something to note though - most of them are non-Thais, so it was quite challenging asking them for directions or places to go when they were not local or lived in Samui long. They also provided reliable airport transfers which we used for 400baht 1 way.

Now onto the slight cons- these are the reasons why I didn't give synergy 5 stars and including the above mentioned 1 unhelpful male staff, the following can be improved in synergy:
- TV channels! they are so limited and only 1 English movie channel?! And the cartoon channel is not even in colour. It is vital I feel to improve their TV quality because Samui doesn't have that many activities to do outside of the beach and their clubs so whenever it starts to have rain/storm, people stay in their rooms/resort and need to be entertained by TV.
- Security. I think the waiter boys double up as security and they actually shuffle between Synergy and their sister hotel, Le Murraya which is next door (by the way Synergy residents can use their pool too but not vice versa). Because of this, there is not enough security at Synergy and I've seen outsiders use our beach deck chairs few times and some outsider even blatantly came up to use Synergy's pool shower and left! This is extremely irritating and uncomfortable for the hotel guests as they paid a premium to stay at Synergy and the staff needs to protect the exclusivity of this resort.
Price- And talking about a premium, the price is a little too high for a small villa and it's not even a large resort with a lot of facilities.
Breakfast - needs to have more varieties and bread has to be fresh!
Beach - The Chaweng beach right outside Synergy is also the best part of the whole stretch but maybe the hotel management could do something about keeping the beach outside their resort clean and rubbish-free. Too much cigarette butts, bottles etc...

This sums up our stay at Synergy, and overall we totally enjoyed our 6 days stay. When we come back to Samui next time which is soon, it will only be to stay at Villa 401,402,493 or 404 otherwise we may try elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank melovechups
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Lovely resort right on the beautiful Chaweng beach, the staff is awesome, infinity pool overlooks the beach, the restaurant serves amazing food, we had one of our best meals in thailand here..best place to stay in Samui...

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Pallavi D
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We arrived at Synergy last minute after a botched holiday booking left us without anywhere booked in Koh Samui. We found "villa connect room" online and stayed there the first night but then upgraded ourselves to these amazing rooms right next to the pool and beach that were not available online. The villa connect rooms are fine but are basic - our kids remained in one - The other large pool villas are more expensive but are really spacious and have huge bathrooms with a sunken bath - these rooms are facing the beach.
The staff were super friendly, I think the hotel is pretty new. The breakfasts were OK, the staff tried hard to please, and you can get omelettes etc cooked to order. There is lots of fresh fruit, juice, muesli and cooked food like pancakes too.
We had private plunge pools in front of out villas that were great to cool down in and had the big beachside pool with swim up bar to spend the day in. There were plenty of poolside beds and a couple of day beds too.
The spa at the Hotel was wonderful - I had 3 treatments - different kinds of massages. The ladies who did the massages were fantastic and very professional.
The beach at this part of Chaweng is wider than the rest, clean white sand and clear blue water.
There are some restaurants to walk along the beach to but plenty more choice just walking up the road towards the centre in Chaweng.
I would recommend this hotel to people wanting to enjoy being right on the beach but also within walking distance to lots of restaurants and night markets in Chaweng.
A standout experience was dining at Dr Frogs, just a 5 minute drive away - you have to try their lobster pizza while looking back at the view over Chaweng.

Room Tip: Rooms 101 and 102 are by far the absolutely best rooms in this hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Wow where do I begin this hotel is amazing and is such good value for money.
It is located on the beach in Koh Samui and has stunning views and a gorgeous infinity pool overlooking the beach.
The staff were so lovely and friendly and the breakfast was to die for. Anything on the menu...full English, eggs, pancakes, cereals, fresh juice PERFECT!
The rooms were lovely too and we had beautiful bathrobes and slippers to lounge in!
I loved this hotel so much that I am going back in May this year for my next trip to Thailand!!

Room Tip: If you want to treat yourself choose the room with a provate jacuzzi!!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank alessandraleonard
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I do agree that the different reviews here do depend on when you have visited. That said I also feel that the resort suffers from bad planning, ie, layout and the brief time I was there it felt like I was in a construction site whose entrance was a vacant lot.

That was not the bigger problem however. When I went to my room and all was closed with the air conditioner on an intense, headache inducing and nauseous smell appeared. After a while I went to reception to tell them this. After consultation with the cleaner and staff, which was difficult as very little English is spoken it appears that my room, and others had been filled with mothballs recently and this was causing the intense smell.

Two staff members came to my room and removed 11 mothballs. The smell continued and I looked around and removed 5 more. The smell continued and I realised that the recessed ceiling was the place that housekeeping had been miming that they threw mothballs. I have no idea how many were up there but the smell continued. Complaining to reception again I was told I could move rooms to a lesser quality room that night, then have another tomorrow that they could try and air out and then move back to mine the following day. I explained moving three times was not exactly a solution and perhaps we should consult the manager.

They called the Manager, she suggested I check out early! I did. I lost money, still trying to claim that, but hospitality is obviously not a priority here.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Robwombat
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Travelled with a friend and stayed in twin room. Room was basic, bathroom average but clean - enjoyed the fruit basket daily. Great location - close to shops, restaurants and spas! Pool was beautiful with comfy sunbeds. Breakfast was included with selection of fruits, cereals, toast, and hot breakfast with eggs (as you like), bacon and tomatoes. Wifi is not 100%. Fitness room was small and would recommended to turn air con on 30 mins before workout to ensure you are not in a sauna.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends