“Somewhat dated but everything works.”

and 1 more site!
Chaweng Villa Beach Resort
Ranked #97 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Reviewed 27 July 2012

Rented a large bungalow room for 50USD. It was by the pool and with a tiny beach view. Quiet and also so close to all the action in Chaweng. I stayed 3 nights, loved it. Clean and well maintained but the resort needs some upkeep and modernizing. They have other sections, cheaper and old and newer and more expensive. They have something for everyone, included great parking. Very friendly staff. Breakfast was 200 bath, expensive for Thai standards so I did not try and the night restaurant was pricey. Fresh catch seafood but expensive and my jumbo prawns were overcooked or plain dry, hard to tell.

Room Tip: Try the lower number bungalows, they are close to the pool and the beach and the quietest. The good...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 27 July 2012

Hier een copy paste van de mail die ik naar de manager van het hotel stuurde. Trek zelf uw conclusies en overweeg of u het riskeert. Over de staat van het hotel kan u elders teruglezen, bij het zwembad waren alle tegels los en hebben verschillende mensen zich bezeerd. Ook de schimmel in het zwembad en de badkamer wou ik jullie niet onthouden...

To the manager of Chaweng Villa Beach,

We stayed a few days at your hotel in Samui until the 26th of July 2012.
I want to make you aware of theft of our belongings out of my suitcase. My iphone, ipod and Samsung Galaxy phone have been stolen by your housekeeping staff. Also 3000 bath of money was stolen out of the bungalow of our neighbours. I did not notice my belongings were missing upon arrival at Samui airport for our flight back to BKK. It could not have happened on the airport as i carry those items always in my handluggage. Our neighbours noticed some money missing during their stay but they did not get any help from people behind the reception and were almost laughed at and simply told that housekeeping does this quite often. I don't know if you think this is normal but this is not the way how to treat your guests.
I have now lost a lot of money (all together more than 30000) because your staff can't keep their hands out of peoples belongings.
You need to take the required actions to get your hotel cleaned. I on my end will also take required actions. I have filed an offical complaint with the police against the hotel and the theft which appears to be daily business in Chaweng Villa Beach. Rest asure that my review will warn people who reads comments about the hotel and will hopefully reconsider their stay.

I truly hope that you will screen your staff moving forward, i will never stay at your hotel again and together with me probably a lot more people who will read my review as I believe the truth needs to be told.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elaine M
Reviewed 27 June 2012

This was such a nice place to stay.

It was really in the centre of Chaweng. 2 minutes to Ark Bar. We stayed in one of the rooms upstairs in resort. The hotel is right on the beach. There was a lovely pool too.

Although this hotel is in the centre of Chaweng, it was still possibe to get a good nights rest.

We got the bath towels and beach towel changed everyday and each got a bottle of free water.

It cost 1000 baht for a double room. Well worth it.

Room Tip: Always ask to see the room first.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2012

I took an apartment room as it was on special offer and it was the end of my travelling so it seemed like a good idea at the time. The rooms are clean but very small. The bathroom is one of the smallest I have seen, they even had to cut a chunk out of the door so that it could get past the toilet when the door is closed (don't know why they didn't put a sliding door given the small size of the bathroom).

However the rooms are cleaned everyday, they have an in room safe, a TV and a fridge, so I suppose that for the money I paid it was ok.

The breakfast was fine and the pool area is fairly good, although when I was there at the end of April it was practically deserted.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 April 2012

This is possibly one of the original resorts on Chaweng beach and it shows. It’s looking a little tired and dated. However, having said that, it is relatively cheap and it did all we required. The room, although needing updating was kept clean with new towels (inc beach towels) every day. The AC worked just fine, the shower despite looking a bit rickety worked fine. The breakfast was the typical hot/cold buffet of tea, coffee, egg, bacon, fruit, pastries etc. All the staff were very friendly and helpful and the little beachside lunch restaurant had a decent light menu. The pool was never crowded, we could always get a sunbed at any time of day.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2011

I stayed in the Deluxe building for one week at end of December. It was my first time in Koh Samui but I joined some friends who had been there a few times before and always stayed at this hotel. My views on this hotel are as follows:

- location - excellent: Its a 5 minute walk to the Green Mango area for all the nightlife, and Ark bar on the beach. There are loads of restaurants, bars, supermarkets/7-11, shops both on Chaweng main street and on the beach just outside of the resort. What surprised me was how private and peaceful the resort is despite being so close to all the action. Its about 150 metres from the main street to the beach through the resort, the accomodations are well spaced out and not overlooked, with greenery. You don't hear any of the noise from the main nightlife areas despite being so close to them, which is the reason my friends recommended this as a place to stay.

- room standard - good: The previous threads are about right. The decor is very tired and old, but the rooms were clean and have enough storage space. My friends stayed previously in the Wooden Huts, which are very basic and not soundproof. Better to upgrade to the Deluxe Building or Garden Villas. However my room had a safe, walk-in shower, bottled water every day, good air-con (i.e. not noisy), recessed balcony with lounge chairs.

- Breakfast - good: Breakfast was included in my booking. When I rate this "good" I mean good for Thailand standards. Breakfast comprised (same every day) fresh bread/toaster; hot pans with potato, chicken stir-fry, frankfurters, luncheon/balony meat, french bread, waffles; cook who made egg dishes with meat & veg (i.e. scrambelled, boiled, fryed, poached, omlette) cooked to your liking, 2 types of cereals; fresh fruit, yoghurts, fresh coffee.

- Restaurant - good: I ate in the restaurant one time, and food was good. However there are umpteen restaurants close by to choose from

- Pool - good: The swimming pool overlooks the beach and was a decent size with deck chairs for the number of guests.

- Staff - good: I had no problems that required discussion with the staff, but for general check-in, check out, room clean, tour booking and wake up calls I found them efficient.

To conclude, this resort main plus points are its location to central Chaweng and its privacy. I wouldn't recommend for a romantic getaway or if you want to be pampered. I've rated it 4*, i.e. 4* for a resort in a developing nation.

Room Tip: Avoid the Wooden Huts, choose the Deluxe Building or Villas instead.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank brehantoir
Reviewed 23 December 2011

I booked this hotel because I have been to Chaweng before and this is the best area of the beach for visitors. The Cantara and Poppies are lovely hotels, but that southern part of the beach is now very remote.
I was in one of the original chalets from the 70s (?) It was rickety, but serviceable. The shower was unpleasant - mouldy tile grout and in vital need of update. The newer chalets look fine, but do cost more. I paid £34 per night - 15th - 22nd December 2011
The staff are all brillaint and the breakfast beside the beach is really good too with every need catered for. After day one, all the staff remembered me and brought me coffee and toast. there is an egg station and you can have whatever you want with bacon and pancakes / french toast. Fuit and juices are all fresh and delicious.

The beach is wonderful and magic at night as all the hotels set up romantic eating areas beside the lapping waves. However riough tghe sea is during the day, it is a millpond at night and the lights around the bay, together with the Chinese lanterns drifting into the sky is spell binding.

If I could afford it I would stasy in the Amari or one of the 3 super hotels beside it. This hotel is a useful budget option.

Koh Samui is no longer really a family destination. The beach is, the strip behind is not. The 'night time' nightlife is now more apparent than Pat Pong in Bangkok. 10 years ago it was idyllic - a Robinson Crusoe island. As with Phuket and the other islands, the night bars take over.

For adults - still a beautiful destination. For honeymooners / romantic couples - perfection.

One issue. I paid for my room on my bank Debit card, not my Barclaycard, but was still charged a handling fee of 3%. I explained this to them, but could not avoid the charge, because my bank card had the Visa logo on it.

Room Tip: The older chalets are becomming substandard. The newer ones look fine - but this is not the Amari !
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo