“Good and bad” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #96 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Surrey, Canada
“Good and bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

I'll start off the the things that could use a little attention. First and foremost is the bathroom in my bungalow. The shower head needs replacing. All the holes are plugged except maybe 7 or 8 streams of water actually coming out in different directions. The grout in the shower was literally black and had tiny little ants coming up through the drain as well as the bathroom sink drain. The cleaning of rooms here definitely needs to be stepped up. As far as I can tell, they make your bed and give clean towels, maybe sweep, but, as far as I can tell, do not actually clean anything. The walls and everything else needs a good scrubbing if not new paint. Furniture outside awful. The good is the location. Everything at your doorstep and really not bad for noise considering where you are. The pool is great and the beach is its best feature. Yes there are better beaches, but not in this price range, about $65 including all taxes. Good breakfast with plenty to pick from. The staff do not go out of their way to be friendly but they seem competent and will help when asked. After checking some other beaches and hotels, we may actually stay a few days more. Would I recommend this "resort", check around first. If this seems to be the best deal, then it's doable.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Chilliwack, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2013

We stayed here 2 nights, Just checked out this morning. We got a taxi to the start of the Chaweng beach strip and walked around until we found a place we wanted to stay. We found a few cgeaper places for about 2000 Bhat/night, but weren't that impresed. This hotel was reg 3000/night for the "deluxe bungalow" and the guy said we could have it for 2400/night. After seeing the room (#106) we decided to take it.

The Good: Nice location on the beach. You can walk up and down the beach and check out lots of places to eat, drink, etc. Decent swimming in front of the hotel. Fairly good value for the $. Other places we looked at were nicer, but in the 5000-7000/night range. For 2400/night this was a fair deal. For 2200/night we could have got the "garden view" bungalow but it was a fair bit farther back from the beach and the room was a bit more plain.

Also good was the free breakfeast - really good! They have an omlet station, lots of fresh fruit, decent bacon, etc. We liked it. The pool is also pretty decent although we didn't use it.

The Bad: Staff weren't overly friendly. A/C was making a horrible noise and front desk sent a guy to fix it. He did fix it but looked extremely unimpressed the whole time. No fan in the bathroom so it gets really steamy when you have a shower.

The big thing we didn't like was you have to PAY for the wifi! 150 bhat/day! Not cool. I'm not sure if this is common amongst hotels in this area. First time we have seen this in Thailand.

Overall for the price we paid per night we were happy with our decision to stay here.

Oh and one last thing about Koh Samui. Definitely TAKE THE MINI BUS FROM THE PIER!! We didn't like how they were trying to force everyone into the buses so we just kept walking and thought we'd flag our own taxi. Well their aren't any other taxis! We ended up walking about 20 min until we hit the road going to Chaweng and the cheapest we could get a taxi was 250 Bhat for the two of us. It was a lot of hassle as some wanted 500 bhat for the ride. From the pier I think it was 130 Bhat per person. So for all that hassle we saved 10 Bhat. Do your self a favor and just grab the minibus from the pier. Chaweng is a bit pricey but occupies the best beach and is close to all the ammenities, shops, etc.

Room Tip: For 200 Bhat more/night you can get a deluxe bungalow and be closer to the beach. Make sure you get...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2013 via mobile

I have stayed approximately six times at Chaweng Villa over the past ten years.This used to be my favourite resort in Chaweng with really friendly staff.The ownership along with the staff changed a number of years ago and the hotel seems to have lost its sparkle.
It's located in central Chaweng close to the nightlife overlooking the beach so no problem there.The new staff are ok apart from one very rude female receptionist who completely ignored me upon check in and on other visits to reception she never said Please or Thank You!Paying US$80 a night and flying half way around the world to get here I would expect at least to be acknowledged in Thai or English!
New large swimming pool with plenty of sunbeds so no complaints there.Breakfast is average at best with egg station,bacon, sausage,limited fruit,tea or coffee.
I've stayed in all room choices from the small split wooden bungalows with sleeping upstairs-fun maybe for parents and small children,the deluxe bungalows which are pretty from the outside and last stay in deluxe building.Deluxe building room has double bed,flat screen tv,refrigerator and French doors but the dark wood furniture inside makes it look old.Along with a small if not dirty bathroom,shower water went everywhere and stayed in puddles on the floor.The bathroom was the biggest let down plus the wooden furniture on balcony was old and rotten..Also Wifi cost BT150 a day which I feel is excessive when even cheap backpacker accommodation offers free wifi in Chaweng!So come on Chaweng Villa pull your finger out!For US$80 free wifi,redecorate bathroom,new furniture on balcony and a happy,smiling,polite female receptionist and you'll get back all your regular return guests who used to come here every winter!!!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Ystradafodwg
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2012

I spent a week in the deluxe building, I asked for an upstairs room (had a great view of the pool/beach) but I think the room hadn't been used in a little while cos the bathroom was a bit grubby. After asking three times, it was finally cleaned. Aside from that the room was quite nice and very clean. Staff were fine, breakfast was pretty standard. Location was perfect for me. I wanted somewhere quiet (so I could chill out or sleep when at home) but close to fun stuff. It's right on the beach (even though this end of the beach isn't the nicest) very close to bars, restaurants and general action, but still quite quiet in the resort itself. Rooms in the deluxe building have blackout curtains so I had some excellent sleep ins. My air con was a little noisy at times, but not a big deal. Most importantly it worked!
My friend stayed in one of the wooden rooms and loved it. I think she mostly loved sitting out on her veranda.
I think I'd agree with a lot of the other reviews. it's one of the older resorts, so the gardens aren't as "pretty" as some of the more modern hotels (old concrete paths, rather than wooden and the gardens not so lush, but they're ok. I really liked the room - comfy bed, fairly quiet, dark, nice room and clean (once the bathroom was cleaned). I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: The deluxe building rooms have large sliding glass doors, so particularly in the downstairs room s y...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Merseyside
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2012

Stayed here for5 nights at the start of September in one of the duluxe bungalows facing the pool. Room was clean and bed was comfortable which were the two main things I ask for! It was however a little run down and is in great need of an update, the bathroom in particular could do with a makeover so if you are looking for luxury it's probably not for you. If you just want a clean air conditioned place to get a good nights sleep and shower though it is great.

The pool was also quite run down, it is missing a lot of tiles on the bottom, some of which were lying at the side of the pool! Not the cleanest I've been in but spent quite a number of hours in it and it didn't do me any harm!

Breakfast was average however the staff are there to cook various styles of eggs for you. Looked nice when my boyfriend had them, I didn't try as the fillings were just in bowls at the side with lots of flies around.

Overall, it's no five star but doesn't profess to be... Clean, comfortable and brilliant location x

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Rome, Lazio, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2012

If you want a good place to start your journey, I think that this hotel is right for you. The sea is not the best, and the room is not very confortable, but away... you can go where you want in few minutes. Maybe the rooms are expensive for the standard quality of this hotel. The costumers are very gentle, and professional.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Andrea D
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2012

My girlfriend and I booked a wooden bungalow witch was suppose to be with a/c and looked very clean and tidy. When we checked in we entered a dirty unmantained bungalow infested by moskitos, the a/c was like A big noisy fan which put out hot air into the room,and the bed was on the floor. We asked the reception if they can fix the a/c or switch us to another bungalow in which the a/c realy works,the answer we got was very thai "all same same" we had to upgrade our room and pay more for a garden bungalow and got to a room with a strong smell of sewage, so we moved to another room which was good but then we saw the shower isn't working, switched to another which was bearable only because they sprayed it with air fresher before we went in. We were stuck there for two nights because they didn't agree to cancel the other night without pay, the water at the beach are green because of a Tiedbraker The pool Has lots of broken tiels, the breakfast area was filled with flies and cats were walking under the tables of the buffe . When we checked out my girlfriend fell into the Wooden floor and almost broke her leg ( and she isnt even fat). There are plantey of better and chipper places ..

• Stayed August 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Chaweng hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chaweng
P&P Samui Resort
#76 of 104 in Chaweng
Baan Smile Hostel
Baan Smile Hostel
#18 of 71 in Chaweng

Been to Chaweng Villa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!