“Relaxing Second Honeymoon”

Ranked #13 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Melbourne, Australia
“Relaxing Second Honeymoon”
Reviewed 19 November 2012

We had a beautiful Holiday at Nora Beach Resort. From the Security Guard at the front gate, who would always greet us with a salute and ask us where we were off to, did we need a taxi, to the staff throughout the resort who would always greet us with a smile and say Hello, to the wait staff in the restaurant who learnt our names and room number by day 2 and could never do enough for us. It was in a beautiful setting overlooking the beach, lovely maintained gardens and a relaxing pool, complete with swim up bar where the staff were only too happy to make us a cocktail. We were very impressed. We were greeted on arrival with a cool refreshing towel and a welcome drink. The Manager also introduced himself and welcomed us to the resort, making sure we knew if we needed anything to please call him. We saw him frequently throughout our week, talking to other guests and he came up to us for a chat many times. Perfectly located short trip to Chaweng Beach, and the resort offers a free shuttle service. The food and drinks were very well priced for a resort, and coupled with the beautiful surroundings and friendly staff the experience was a beautiful one. We hope to return again soon.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cathanne75
Jeff S, General Manager at Nora Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 20 November 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your great experience with us.
We are truly happy to read such a positive reviews. Thank you for choosing our resort. You have been lovely guest and we hope to see you again very soon. If I can abe any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours Sincerely

Nora Beach Resort & spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 16 November 2012 via mobile

This was my first stay in Koh Samui and I am happy with my choice of the Nora Beach resort. The Hotel is located at the northern end of Chaweng beach - a 20 to 30 minute walk away,which was perfect as I did not want to stay in the hustle and bustle of Chaweng. The resort has beautiful grounds and very friendly and helpful staff,who helped me rent a moped for my stay. The pool area was lovely, right on the beach as is the breakfast and all day dining restaurant. Really nothing to complain about,except for the mould in the bathroom (8212) The air conditioning broke down one afternoon,but was fixed very promptly. I stayed in a standard room,I would consider upgrading to a higher category next time. the Villas did look nice! The breakfast was nice,but I have had much better but at more expensive hotels.So you get what you pay for.
Upon departure the manager was on hand to bid farewell. If you are looking for a mid priced hotel/ resort close to the action of Chaweng you will be hard to find fault with the Nora Bay.

Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank NickSydney_australia
Jeff S, General Manager at Nora Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 17 November 2012

Greetings from Nora Beach Resort & Spa,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on tripadvisor following your recent stay at Nora Beach Resort & Spa.

We are vey happy to read that you enjoyed your visit. Your positive feedback has been shared with the entire team in the hotel and everyone is delighted to see that their efforts are greatly appreciated.

At the same time, please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience about mould in the bathroom. Please note that I have personally passed your concerns to our Housekeeping Manager. She will provide further coaching to the relevant staff to ensure that we are delivering our high service stadards to our valued guests.

I'm also glad to hear that your problem with the Aircon has been solved immediately.

The concept of our breakfast is Buffet. We do offer many various types of food. International, Thai, Asian, fresh fruits, cakes, five different types of bread, white toast, brown toast, croissants, chocolates brownies, fresh salads, freshly omelets. We do also offer special offers, for guest who are allergic, vegetarian or have a special request.

Once again, Thank you for staying with us and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you again.

Sincerely

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 November 2012

We had the most amazing dream wedding at the Nora Beach Resort and Spa. We had our wedding planned and all organised in a month. The accommodation is stunning. The food is delicious. The pool is amazing. The staff are very kind and supportive. We had a thai blessing and then a western ceremony on the beach front. The flowers were divine. Cake absolutely stunning. We had everything we could have hoped for on the day happened and more. Not one complaint about the resort or the staff, all amazing. The best experience which i will have forever in my memory and I will take my children back - when we have them :)
Some advice - Do your research for the verification of wedding documents in your country. In Australia you must have NATI certified translated documents in order to have a certified wedding in accordance with the Australian Immigration department, which you can only get once back in Australia. So if you need to change your name and passport it is essential that is be NATI certified. Dont waste time and money getting documents translated back into english if when you get home to Australia you will need to pay for it all over again.
Thai wedding is like an exotic dream. Do it.

Room Tip: the rooms on the beach are the best... woth own plunge pool
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank melbellidobutler
Dear Melanie & Miguel,
We all here at Nora Beach Resort are look forward to welcome both of you back to stay with us again.
All the best!
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 13 November 2012

We just spent a few days here for a family getaway. A couple of points:

Pros:
- Great location. The resort is just 5 mins away from the airport and 5 mins taxi ride to the Chaweng city centre. It is very convenient to go about the island. The resort is also beach front, and it feels that you have a stretch of private beach, which is great compared to other beaches that we have previously been as you don't get a lot of people and vendors trying to sell you stuff.
- the resort is well designed, which makes you feel you are in a relaxing getaway. And not feeling like there are a lot of people even though the resort is quite full.
- free wifi all around the resort.

Cons:
- We expected the tv to be larger. The tv is 24' which is a bit small, we would have expected a minimum of 32'. Some of our party also thought that the tv channels are a bit limited.
- bed is a bit hard, but we found this to be normal in Thailand.

All in all a great 4 star resort if you want to have a nice getaway, we would consider returning in the future.

Room Tip: Request for villas closer to the pool to get higher possibility of ocean views. If not, upgrade to a...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ytravel18

Greetings from Nora Beach Resort & Spa,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on tripadvisor following your recent stay.
I hope you had a pleasant return journey.

It's always nice to hear that you had a great time here. Your positive feedback has been shared with the entire team in the hotel.

I have also noted your comments regarding to size of our TV's and our matraces to be a bit hard.

I am pleased to inform you that we have already scheduled that all of our old TV's will be replace for new LCD. Almost 65 % of all rooms has been alrady replaced.

Hard Matrace: I'm sorry that you found our matrace to be bit hard and I'm also apologize that nobody informed you that we offer additional soft matraces which usually solve the problem immediately. Perhaps your next visit in Thailand, just ask at the reception. Most of the resort offer different types of matraces.

Once again, thank you for sharing your feedback on tripadvisor and thereby giving us the opportunity to enhance our service quality.

We are hope to welcome you again.

Yours Sincerely,

Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed 4 November 2012

Nora Beach was our last stay after 10 days travelling in Shanghai and Kuala Lumpur. We were really looking forward to a relaxing break after 10 days of travelling.
We arrived in Koh Samui and were picked up by Nora Beach resort staff without a hitch (250 Baht).
We had booked through Flight Centre and Nora Beach resort was running it's "My Time" promotional package which included a number of privileges like a free room upgrade where available and other perks, so we were looking forward to upgrading from a superior room into a Nora Villa. Unfortunately when we checked in we were told that an upgrade was unavailable due to the hotel being fully booked, I asked if I we could upgrade in the next few days and was told they were fully booked for the next month.
So we stayed the first night in the superior room which was not too bad but still only a standard hotel room. It did have a balcony with a view of the gardens and the villa's below. On the down side the shower was luke warm.
The next day we had a look around the resort and it was clear to us that the resort was not full. We went to the lobby and spoke to the manager and after a short discussion we were moved to a Nora Garden Villa as we requested the day before, which was a big turnaround from fully booked for the next month. We ended up staying in the villa which had a garden view for about four days and decided to pay the $100 AUD per day price to upgrade to a villa with a beach view. Other than the view the only difference in the upgrade was a mozzie curtain around the bed.
Downside to both villas were; TV's were small CRT's much smaller than the flat screens in the superior room also It took approximately 30 minutes to fill the bath half full of water as the pressure was pathetic. Another issue was the safe in the beach view villa which was not bolted in.
A real upside to this resort is the beach frontage which was fastidiously cleaned every morning by the garden staff. The pool is quite spectacular situated adjacent to the beach. The downside is the maintenance of this jewel; where it was not uncommon to tread on a sharp loose tile from the pool floor or from the pool centrepiece which was disintegrating so badly it was wrapped in PVC to hold it together. If you plan to sit around the pool on the deck chairs I would avoid the south end of the pool near the Day Spa as the smell of sewage was at times unbearable.
Although I can't really comment on the quality of the Day Spa, I can comment on the prices which are so overpriced I did not even bother to have a look in the door. If you want the tranquility of a true spa just walk 5 minutes towards Chewang where you will find Magnolia Day Spa or better still another 5 minutes on the RHS you will find My Friend Massage, where the price for a fantastic 2hr oil massage is approximately $16 AUD (500 Baht). Be warned though there is a sign on the wall saying "No Screaming" LOL.

Just a last word on the "My Time" perks; Spa discounts offered were less than the 40% off offered to all guests which was still overpriced, complimentary pool towels in the room were not provided, Nightly turn down service not provided. On the brighter side after complaining we did receive the room upgrade and we did receive the complimentary late checkout.

On the whole the resort has a lot to offer but unfortunately we will probably not be staying here next time.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a beach view villa or better where possible.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank SPTravelling
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We do take them seriously.
First of all, We would like to apologize for not meeting your expectations during your stay with us. Our service consistency is something which we are always working to improve so that we may deliver an enjoyable experience to all of our guests. I am really sorry to hear that you did not fully enjoy it.

I have also shared your feedback with the rest of our team.
Due to your stay, we were actually in very high occupency, even it might seems like not. We were hosting a Thai Goverment Cabinet, which represent more then 50% of our occupied rooms. During the day, most of them were outside, therefore it might looked like the resort was half empty.

Shower problems and lack of pressure. Yes, I believe you are right. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused. I have to honestly say that you were not the only room and thank you for pointing out. We've already solved this problem.

I am also pleased to inform you that we are in TV replacment process. We have already replaced 65% old TV's to new LCD.

Swimming pool: We are aware of this problem and we are doing our best to solve it. Our swimming pool has been use for more then 8 year now.
I am pleased to inform you that we have already shceduled for annual maintenance and renovation program. We are waiting for special epoxide which can be use under the water. Unfortunatelly, there is no company in Thailand that have this product in stock, therefore we have to wait to be sent from England.

With regards to our Spa pricing, kindly note that it is in line with similar properties in this area and we feel that, given our location, service, quality of products, certificate therapist, we offer and excellent value.
I regret to hear that in your case we failed to meet your expectations.

Thank you once again for sharing your feedback. I do hope that we be able to restore your confidence.

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed 31 October 2012 via mobile

We stayed in unit 7115 and 7116.
The units were nice but the showers were well below the expected standard. The water kept going hot then cold and the pressure was not great. Everything else was really good. The beds were large and comfortable. The rooms cosy. The Internet access was great - wifi in the room. We only used the restaurant for breakfast but it was all very good food, and the beachside dining was a great location. Be aware that smoking n restaurants and bars is legal in Thailand, so choose your table carefully.
We ate out each night, Mitra was the place to go for some authentic and tasty Thai food.

Stayed October 2012
2 Thank MurrayCollingwood
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback.
We are very happy that you had a great time.

As we take every comments very seriously, I'm pleased to inform you, that water preasure and temperature has been already solved. Please accept our apologies. This is a great example how small things makes huge difference. Espacially in our industry.

I hope you had a pleasant return journy and we hope to see you next time.

Your Sincerely

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 October 2012

We stayed at Nora Beach for 8 nights at the beginning of October and loved every minute of it! Upon check in we were upgraded from a superior room to a villa which was fabulous, the villa was huge, big bathroom, balcony etc. We ate lunch and had cocktails at the swim up pool bar most days, the staff there are great and very accomodating. Breakfast was ok, I have been to many buffets around the world and I think theres room for improvement. The facilities were excellent, I spent a couple of hours at the spa, they have a happy hour 10am-2pm every day at 30% off. Good location, just out of busy chaweng but close enough to walk into town about 10-15 minutes. Would definitely recommend staying here and hopefully we will return!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank crinj j
Jeff S, General Manager at Nora Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 19 November 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing Nora Beach Resort & Spa.
I hope you had a pleasant return.

It's always nice to hear that you had a great stay with us and It would be our pleasure to welcome you again.
I'm pleased to inform you, that our F&B department it's about to launch a new Food and Drinks Menu at the beginning of December.

Meanwhile, If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards