We ( 2 adults and 2 kids) stayed at the Centara Grand Koh Samui for 3 nights. It was overly crowded even when i was told that it was low season in June. Some points to make"
1) Property and rooms: the hotel itself is grand and somewhat colonial. The rooms are ok ( we took the Premium Deluxe Room with a pool on the ground floor). We found the room somewhat dark ( even on broad daylight and with the lights on). Perhaps the tone of the lightings are not so conducive! But be informed; this particular room/s are exclusive and that means you don't get to see the beach or of any kind of view!! Should you want a view of the sea etc, get the rooms above ground level or the ones that have no blockage!
2) People and service: The service is not fantastic and generally you may have to speak slowly or repeat to get what you want as the staff don't speak good English ( that goes for the operator as well!).
However, there are 3 exceptional staff that i like to mention. The Club level was served by Mr Sommai and Ms Meena. These two are genuine and smile/serve from their bottom of their hearts!
They seem to be at the Club 24 hours! and smiled all day !!
The last is Mr Wat ( restaurant captain at Spicy Island and Hagi restaurants). We had dinner at both restaurants for two nights and he was there to welcome/direct and supervise throughout the entire dinner. He saw to every detail including playing traditional Japanese songs when we dined at Hagi , moving our table when we had the air-conditioning blowing direct at us/ tirelessly explained the menu and stood by ( physically) at our table while we dined! Our thanks to him for making our dining experience a memorable one! Centara should be fortunate to have people like Mr Sommai/Ms Meena and Mr Wat! They make up for what is overall lacking !!
3) Stray cats: Not that i don't love animals, but there are far too many all over the hotel. You can find them at the reception/breakfast hall/ all around the ground floor rooms entrances/ restaurants/beach etc. Perhaps something could have been done to minimize their presence!
4) Kids Club- needs genuine kids loving staff to manage the club. the person i met there was mechanical ( playing with a kid) and i did not for once see him smile. He gave me a " ask your kid to stay here" when i asked about the days activities!
If you are looking for some peace and quiet by the beach!! i suggest this is not the place ( by the way, the beach here is a public one. You will have to live with the ever annoying peddlers. If you are looking for a well located hotel near the shops/eateries etc ( just outside the hotel), then this is the place!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Superbly located along Chaweng, Koh Samui’s finest beach. Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui offers first class Thai hospitality. Enjoy the exceptional facilities of this award winning deluxe resort which combines the spirit and culture of the island with a tranquil ambiance and sheer beauty. A choice destination for lovers of water sports in particular and everyone in general. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Southall Travel, Fastbooking, HotelsClick, Agoda, Odigeo, TravelUp, Holiday Gems, Travelbag and Ebookers so you can book your Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui Hotel Chaweng
- Centara Grand Beach Hotel
- Hotel Centara Grand Beach
- Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui Ko Samui/Chaweng