We are currently on our last day here at Centara Grand. It is overcast and raining (1st time it has rained all week but 4/7 no sun, very humid though) so I decided to write my review on our free wireless on the room.
I'll try and remain un-biased as from day 2 all 10 of our party, including our small children, have had sickness and diarrhoea. This has lasted all week so we have not enjoyed the holiday at all. Saying this, I'm not convinced it is something we ate at the hotel, more of a bug that is maybe going around it.
The hotel is visibly very clean (although it has gone 4:30pm and our room has still not been made which isn't great when you have a poorly child and need clean towels).
Our room is really great. We chose the one bedroom suite so our daughter could sleep in another room from us and it is huge! Although because she has been so poorly she has slept in with us so a bit of a shame. The decor is very smart / clean / dark woods / flat screen tv's etc. Bathroom large although no lock on sliding doors and glass doors for toilet and shower if you're sharing with anyone other than a spouse it might be awkward.
Food - well can't really comment as we've barely eaten all week but what we have had has been ok. Although my family had v poor service one night when I was not there and they were the only ones in the restaurant (maybe because everyone is ill!). We did eat on the 1st night at an amazing restaurant called Zazen on the other side of the island - expensive but well worth it for a wonderful setting and evening. The Club room has been nice as we have missed breakfast most days so have caught free snacks that run most of the time. Unfortunately we haven't been able to make use of the free cocktails.
pool - nice enough with cute swim-up bar.
Kids club room - bit disappointing as I chose the hotel because of the great reviews. A room full of Lego and kids 'things' but lacks any character and does not make you want to play with your little one for longer than 10 minutes in there. It is air conditioned which was good but more like a concrete box with toys in.
Location - well, I'd never been to Koh Samui and not sure what I expected. Yes it's in the middle of all the hustle and bustle on the main road with all the massage places, restaurants (half of them look really grotty), a few little shops in between all the bags / hats / tshirt market stalls. I didn't feel particularly safe when walking by myself and had to really pick and choose where to get a cold drink from.
Staff - all very polite.
All in all I think we would've preferred to spend more to stay at a proper 5* instead of a 4*.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The five-star Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui is a long-established resort that sits right on Chaweng Beach, a tranquil location that yet provides easy access to Central Festival for shopping and the ever-present buzz of Chaweng Road. Complete with the old world charm of colonial-era architecture and an unparalleled beach front setting, the resort is home to a host of facilities and activities, including a beautiful spa, complimentary Yoga classes a large sea-gazing swimming pool with its own swim-up pool bar and Jacuzzi, a fitness centre, two tennis courts and two kids clubs. You’ll enjoy no less than seven restaurants and bars, including COAST Beach Club & Bistro. Perfect for the most tranquil romantic escape or an adventuresome family holiday, the resort also features Muay Thai classes, beach volleyball, and a choice of water sports – think kayaking, windsurfing, sailing, Hobie Catamaran, body boarding and paddle boarding - as well as superb snorkelling and island hopping excursions around Koh Samui and diving opportunities arranged respectively by the tour desk and the PADI Dive Centre. Whether holidaying in Samui just the two of you or with the family, you will enjoy views of over the turquoise expanse of the Gulf of Thailand from your balcony or a private plunge pool. Spaciousness is a feature with all rooms and suites, with total living space ranging from 40 to 132 square metres while selected suites also provide concierge services. And your good times will begin almost from the minute you touch down on the island, as the resort is a short 15-minute drive from the airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Southall Travel, Travelbag, Hotels.com, Fastbooking, Expedia, Holiday Gems, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui Hotel Chaweng
- Centara Grand Beach Hotel
- Hotel Centara Grand Beach
- Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui Ko Samui/Chaweng