Having spent a near perfect two weeks I Phuket 6 years ago I was almost scared to return to Thailand in case it did not live up to our expectations, we need not have worried. This time we travelled with our two teenage daughters so it was slightly different experience. The hotel on arrival really wowed our girls, the lobby area is impressive and as you look through the view of the gardens and beach are certainly a great first impression. Without exception the staff at this hotel live up to the land of smiles reputation, they are friendly and helpful. There is good access to all levels of management who are friendly and happy to engage in conversation and keen to know that you are enjoying your stay. The managers cocktail party that we were invited to on the beach cemented this even further, having travelled extensively I have never experienced this at such an informal and pleasant level. The sea breeze bar was the perfect end to every day with happy hour, the staff in here were particularly lovely remembering our choice of beverages even the fact that mine rotated between three options! We ate Thai food here twice too and that was lovely. The restaurants were pretty good value considering the 5 star status, we found the whole of Samui to be a lot more expensive than when we visited before, the days of a good meal for 10.00 are well and truly passed. The restaurants along chaweng road were not a lot cheaper than the hotel on some cases and nowhere near as nice. It was a bit odd that the Brazilian restaurant attached to the hotel was along the road, it was nice in there, the BBQ buffet was good, but expensive if like us you have a 12 year old that does not eat much but had to pay full price for eat as much as you like, about 20.00 per head. That would be one of the only bad points, the hotel in the evening lacked atmosphere, all the themed events were fixed price menus which would not have worked for us with one slightly fussy child with a small Appetite. At 12 she seemed to be expected to pay as an adult on everything even though it was advertised as up to 12. The beach is perfect, the sea clean, warm with soft white sand. Hawkers are kept at bay by subtle security men, the few that are there are good natured and fun and do not pester once you say a polite no. The lovely boy and his son selling drinks , fruit and corn everyday cheaply was lovely and also remembered every One greeting them on arrival with a cheery hello. Beds were plentiful and the hotel staff were happy to round them up for you and position as required. The pool was lovely very shaded and unusual, nice swim up bar never too busy. The gardens were beautifully kept and very pretty. Someone commented earlier on the cats, have to say I didn't like that either there did seem to be rather a lot of them! Mossies were a problem, my daughter got a particularly nasty bite that I was worried might get infected, I was shocked that the hotel did not have any medical centre or basic first aid facility. They cannot be blamed for the Mosquitos though just take plenty of cream and repellent. We asked for and got adjoining rooms, they were not of the same standard that we enjoyed in our 4 star Phuket hotel, they were very dark and in need of a refurb. They were however clean and comfortable just not luxurious. I also think that wi fi should be free in five star. We were also disappointed that the tennis was offsite across the not so nice end of chaweng road, we did not venture over. Massage on the beach definitely worth a go, fairly brutal so be sure to explain your preference for strong or medium. There were two weddings held at the hotel during our stay, both were lovely and appeared to be well organised with some lovely touches, if you are considering this option i would say definitely worth contacting them. We also booked a trip elephant trekking which was an amazing experience and great fun. Our collection time on our last day was 19.45, the hotel arranged a room for us for the last day and late check out we did have to pay a small charge for this. All in all we return home today sad to leave and having had a fantastic thoroughly enjoyable and memorable holiday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The five-star Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui is a long-established resort that sits right on Chaweng Beach, a tranquil location that yet provides easy access to Central Festival for shopping and the ever-present buzz of Chaweng Road. Complete with the old world charm of colonial-era architecture and an unparalleled beach front setting, the resort is home to a host of facilities and activities, including a beautiful spa, complimentary Yoga classes a large sea-gazing swimming pool with its own swim-up pool bar and Jacuzzi, a fitness centre, two tennis courts and two kids clubs. You’ll enjoy no less than seven restaurants and bars, including COAST Beach Club & Bistro. Perfect for the most tranquil romantic escape or an adventuresome family holiday, the resort also features Muay Thai classes, beach volleyball, and a choice of water sports – think kayaking, windsurfing, sailing, Hobie Catamaran, body boarding and paddle boarding - as well as superb snorkelling and island hopping excursions around Koh Samui and diving opportunities arranged respectively by the tour desk and the PADI Dive Centre. Whether holidaying in Samui just the two of you or with the family, you will enjoy views of over the turquoise expanse of the Gulf of Thailand from your balcony or a private plunge pool. Spaciousness is a feature with all rooms and suites, with total living space ranging from 40 to 132 square metres while selected suites also provide concierge services. And your good times will begin almost from the minute you touch down on the island, as the resort is a short 15-minute drive from the airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Travelbag, Odigeo, Fastbooking, Hotels.com, Southall Travel, Holiday Gems, TripOnline SA, Expedia, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui Hotel Chaweng
- Centara Grand Beach Hotel
- Hotel Centara Grand Beach
- Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui Ko Samui/Chaweng