We have stayed here previously, in fact this was our 5th time. Before travelling to Koh Samui we were thinking of trying something different. To be honest we were look for something that was a little more boutique and luxury on the beach. Most of these places were located in North Chawang however none of them really suited our needs after reading the reviews on here.
We decided to book Centara for the following reasons:
1. Location: For us this is one of the best located hotels on Chawang beach. Yes it is south Chawang, but it is fun walking up the road at night to go past all the shops and restaurants. After shopping and dinner we usually go a taxi back as we normally walked all the way to northern Chawang.
2. Grounds: Centara has the best grounds of any hotel on Chawang beach. The pool is big enough to have your own space and there is plenty of room to laze about around the pool, on the beach or the grassed areas. Whilst there is a lot of rooms and therefore guests, we ended up with the same lounges each day by the pool.
3. Pool – The pool is big enough to have your own little space. The pool is also big enough to get away from Kids if they annoy you. The pool bar is good for a drink
4. Beach – Centara has the best beach along Chawang. Going further south the beach gets a lot narrower and non-existent in front of some hotels, such as samui resotel at high tide. The beach also has massages at either end of the beach front of Centara. On a side note, I would recommend the southern one, which has the same lady giving my massages all previous trips. Also there is a vendor out the front that sells corn and beer. The beer is 70 baht which is a lot cheaper than the hotel.
5. Room – We had a premier deluxe room. We were on the top floor in the wing closest to the health spa. We would say that the room is ok. It has everything that you need, but it is not luxurious per say. Having said that, we did not spend much time in the room so it served the purpose. The bed was comfortable, and a lot softer than the usual rock hard situation. The room was very clean and we could not complain about the room.
6. Food – we ate breakfast everyday at the hotel which provided sufficient options and was very good. We ate at Seabreeze which was good. Again nothing to complain about and they do a special dinner most night, including a seafood feast one night. Most nights we ate outside the hotel because after a day of relaxing at the resort we wanted to get out for a shop and walk.
Overall we enjoyed our stay mainly because of the grounds, pool and staff. Centara certainly has the best location and there is not much direct competition for 4+ star hotels close by. Because of this I think Centara have let the hotel go a bit. They are doing some room renovations, but we think the whole complex could do with some more renovations. When we were there we did hire a car and drove around the island and visited some of the more high profile 4 to 5 star hotels around the island. It is not appropriate to give our view of these in this review. Next time we would probably try something different, but would certainly recommend this hotel to new comers or friends.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The five-star Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui is a long-established resort that sits right on Chaweng Beach, a tranquil location that yet provides easy access to Central Festival for shopping and the ever-present buzz of Chaweng Road. Complete with the old world charm of colonial-era architecture and an unparalleled beach front setting, the resort is home to a host of facilities and activities, including a beautiful spa, complimentary Yoga classes a large sea-gazing swimming pool with its own swim-up pool bar and Jacuzzi, a fitness centre, two tennis courts and two kids clubs. You’ll enjoy no less than seven restaurants and bars, including COAST Beach Club & Bistro. Perfect for the most tranquil romantic escape or an adventuresome family holiday, the resort also features Muay Thai classes, beach volleyball, and a choice of water sports – think kayaking, windsurfing, sailing, Hobie Catamaran, body boarding and paddle boarding - as well as superb snorkelling and island hopping excursions around Koh Samui and diving opportunities arranged respectively by the tour desk and the PADI Dive Centre. Whether holidaying in Samui just the two of you or with the family, you will enjoy views of over the turquoise expanse of the Gulf of Thailand from your balcony or a private plunge pool. Spaciousness is a feature with all rooms and suites, with total living space ranging from 40 to 132 square metres while selected suites also provide concierge services. And your good times will begin almost from the minute you touch down on the island, as the resort is a short 15-minute drive from the airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Southall Travel, Ebookers, TravelUp, Fastbooking, Travelbag, Agoda, Priceline, Ctrip TA, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui Hotel Chaweng
- Centara Grand Beach Hotel
- Hotel Centara Grand Beach
- Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui Ko Samui/Chaweng