“Great resort in wonderful position.”

Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui
Ranked #9 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Reviewed 4 April 2014

We have just returned from a ten night holiday in this resort. We loved the large and open garden areas. The beach area of the hotel us just beautiful. Breakfast offered many choices including a noodle bar, pancake bar and eggs done to order. The only issue we ever had, and only on some of get days, was trying to get a tea or coffee refill........minor problem really.
The food in the restaurants was good value and delicious. We loved the Deli attached to the hotel. The coffee was great and the lovely staff who work there are so helpful and charming.
My favourite staff member was the security man on the front gate. He had a beaming smile everyday when I went out to visit the nearby shops.
The hotel surprised me with a cake in our room on the day of my birthday, which was was really appreciated.
We had a pool suite that was very private. It suited us but some people may not like the fact that these rooms have no view. Many of the other room styles have lovely views over the sea. We enjoyed the private aspect though and the beach and sun chairs were all close to our room if we wanted to take in the views.
The standard of the toiletries was very high, in fact the best I've seen.
Over-all, we loved our stay there and have come back to the real world fully relaxed and already planning the next visit to this lovely place. Small warning.....we booked with hotel but it would have been cheaper to book through a booking website.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Carolyn A
Joe C, Quality Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Dear Carolyn A,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the readers of Trip Advisor after your recent stay with us.
We love that you mentioned the Security man at the gate. In some ways he has a very difficult job-standing out in the heat with out much to break up the day, but he certainly has a positive outlook and makes the best out of it. We’ll let him know that he’s gaining notoriety for his cheerful outlook.
Your review contains a number of valuable points and it will be very useful to fellow travelers.
We do hope you enjoyed your stay (and the birthday cake!) so much that you’ll come back to see us again. Maybe for your next celebration…

Kind regards.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

My husband and I did not chose to stay here as we have previously stayed at the Centara at Karon Beach and hated it. This time we stayed purely because my mother-in-law booked it as stopover on her return to the UK from Australia and we were meeting her and my father-in-law. Our expectations were therefore low from the outset however we were really pleased with what we found.

On arrival we were greeted with a cool towel and cold drink whilst the check-in process was completed. The reception area is very open but pleasantly decorated. Lara who checked us in was very helpful and showed us to our room. We had booked a pool deluxe suite which was situated by the Health Club.

Lara showed us personally to the room. We were offered club rates at a premium but decided not to pay for these as they provided little benefit on top of the room we were in. We did however take advantage of the Baht Bonanza. To encourage you to eat and drink at the Hotel the Hotel offer a scheme whereby if you deposit a sum of money within the first 24 hours they will give you extra Baht to spend in resort. This is worth asking for the details we deposited 20,000 Baht (approximately £400GBP) and got an additional 7000 Baht (approximately £70GBP to spend). Worth it if you intend to use the Hotel bars, restaurants and spa,

Anyway back to the room. It was spacious and clean. The rooms are a tad tired but this is also because of the climate. The toiletries in our room were great and the hairdryer good enough that I did not unpack my travel one. Free mineral water is topped up twice daily and we had a turn down every evening.

The resort does suffer with mosquitoes and I got badly bitten (40 bites!). Lara however had the room sprayed for us and recommended a pharmacist across the road opposite the Hotel. Most days the Hotel then sprayed the room for us.

The location of the Hotel is great, right on the beach. We did find that loungers were reserved with towels early in the morning but always managed to find four together.

The drinks are more expensive in the Hotel than in the local restaurants and bars as you would expect but you can follow Happy Hour around from one Hotel bar to the next if you so wish from 3pm in the afternoon until 11 pm in the evening (drinks are then buy one get one free). You can also buy singha, chang or soft drinks from the guys on the beach for 70 baht per beer if you want to.

Breakfast is served in 2 restaurants. We ate each day in Spice Island which is much quieter and overlooks the beach. The selection is the same but the staff here are friendly and it is more relaxed than the queues we observed in the other restaurant.

I had a massage at the spa which was sublime! The staff were lovely and really friendly and I had free use of the steam room first. I would recommend. However if you want an authentic foot massage if you go otu of the hotel across the road there is a salon called My Friend. It was great, I paid 250 baht (approx £5 GBP) for a 1 hour foot and neck massage.

The beach is fantastic here as well but it is advisable to pay heed to the warnings with regards to the surf. Whilst here we saw a swimmer get into serious trouble. The Hotel were excellent they have a security guard watching the beach and he called for the local guys on jet-ski's who rescued the guest. This was on a yellow flag but it quickly changed to red. That said I am not a strong swimmer and on the green flag went into the sea with my husband and loved it. The water is clear and warm you just need to take care.

We loved our stay at this hotel and did not want to leave after 10 nights, I am sure we will return in the future.

Room Tip: We stayed in 106 which was a pool room. They are quite enclosed but we loved having our own pool in...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank HollyBramble1
Joe C, Quality Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear HollyBramble1,

Thank you for your detailed review of your recent stay. We’re delighted to learn that you were pleasantly surprised.

Thank you for commenting on the amenities. We believe Harnn products are among the best quality we have sourced and we’re very pleased with the feedback from guests as well.

It’s great that you took advantage of Baht Bonanza and Happy Hours. Those are two easy ways to get more value for money.

Thank you again for putting together such a complete review for the Trip Advisor forum.

Joe Clasby
Quality Manager

Reviewed 3 April 2014

Just arrived home from a great stay at Centara from 21 March to 1 April.

I wish I could give this hotel 4.5 stars as everything was perfect except for check in, check out and a mix up with our room. Other than that 100% perfect!

We arrived late on Friday night and was disappointed that it took about 30 mins to check in - this is the longest check in I have ever experienced. We had been travelling for about 14 hours at this stage and just wanted to sleep but regardless they were very friendly.

Our room was lovely we stayed in 118, it was a far walk from reception tucked away behind the side but still a decent enough view of the beach. However I booked a premier room as I wanted an awesome beach view and good location as he had our 3 year old with us and didn't want her to have to walk far to everything. But that late at night - I couldn't be bothered saying anything.

When I did eventually say something - a few days later mind you - I was told it was there mistake and offered a credit which I accepted. Don't get me wrong the room was lovely - but I wanted more and was disappointed we didn't get this during our stay but was happy they credited us the difference.

The rooms here are great - big bed with great draw space to put your things away and great size bathroom. Big balcony with 2 large chairs for lazying about.

The grounds are immaculate so beautiful, lovely to walk around. They have a great area for kids with a small playground and area for soccer. There is a kids club - not that great - I certainly wouldn't leave my daughter there - but great for a bit of indoor play from time to time.

They served the most amazing breakfast every morning - there is nothing I could have wanted for. We pigged out every morning eating eggs, toast, bacon, cereal, pastries, juice yum!! Huge selection, probably the best I have ever seen.

The pool area is to die for! 2 large pools looking over the beach, heaps of pool lounges placed around the pool and on the beach. We spent most of our time here playing around. The staff here are so friendly, always playing around with our daughter and giving her little treats etc.

The beach is also beautiful here. Coming from Queensland Australia I am spoiled for gorgeous beaches - but this beach is certainly up there. Beautiful powder white sand and warm ocean - gorgeous.

The location of the hotel is perfect for us. Heaps of cafes and shops right out the front of the hotel or on the beach, no need for walking far. However if you walk about 20 mins you are right in the hustle and bustle of Chaweng also. We often walked along the beach - much quicker than the street and then walked down the street home. Or you can catch a songthew for pretty cheap if you don't want to walk. But as I said you can just wait outside the hotel and everything you need is right there.

On check out the credit was not on our bill which was disappointing, but after a few queries this was sorted out. Check out did once again take a while, but again everyone was very friendly.

Highly recommend this hotel, this is my 2nd time staying here and I loved it as much this time as last time. I am sure if I come back to Koh Samui we will stay here. But I was disappointed with the long check in and check out and the mix up with our room.

Room Tip: I'd recommend a room in the centre buidlings like 3 or 5 - 4 is the lobby. I think something in...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Joe C, Quality Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Dear Makiely,

Thank you for sharing your comprehensive review. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience you experienced related to your check-in / out.

We’re happy to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast and made the most of it.

Thank you also for the positive outlook on the grounds and the beach. As you say, coming from Queensland you are spoiled for choice when it comes to great beaches.

Speaking of –we noticed that you’ve got an intense tropical storm headed your way-all the best to you and your family and stay safe.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and we hope to welcome you again.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 1 April 2014

A friend and I stayed here and we loved it. We did have an issue with our room involving an adjoining door to the room next door and a screaming kid all night but we told staff and they were all to happy help us, we were upgraded and moved to another room. There were renovations happening during our stay and there was banging quite early in the morning. Perfect relation hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Danni_B10,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We’d have to agree that having a screaming kid next door is grounds to make a move. We’re happy that our staff helped work out a solution.

We must also apologize if the renovations last year disturbed you. We do try to isolate the work as much as possible away from guest contact areas and only conduct this program during the low season. We are finished until later this year.

We hope that you (and your friends) will return to see the results.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Enjoyed a 4 night stay, we were very impressed with quality of the resort and the friendly staff.
We had a clean, well furnished beach view room with a massive bed; it's not often that a hotel exceeds your expectations but this one did (especially given the very moderate rates we paid thru our holiday package!).
We ventured into the streets for lunch and dinner so I can't offer any comment there, except to say that the breakfast buffet is very good indeed. With the superb beach, good pools, helpful and friendly staff, and a great facility all round, we will definitely re-book on our return visit.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Allan S.,

Thank you for sharing your review. We’re thrilled to hear that we exceeded your expectations. We are always heartened to have such great feedback.

We’re glad you enjoyed the breakfast, beach and pools and the hospitality of our staff.

We do hope that you decide to book again and we look forward to welcoming you back for your return visit.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 31 March 2014

This was our second trip to Samui in 5 months. I perused the Centara Grand when we were first in Samui and we thought it better suited us. The hotel is spacious and staff were really friendly. Good food and good room service. We loved the shops that were attached to the hotel also. Close to a seletion of massage spas and restaraunts. The best thing is the beach aswell. Pool excellent, with a swim up bar. Drinks reasonable for a hotel. Spa to die for. Worth every penny.I witnessed people stay all day at the hotel only to venture out in the evening. No problem to get a deck chair. Plenty for the kids to do.I will return to this hotel again.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a beach side room.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Joe C, Quality Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2014

Dear Heso9852,

Thank you for giving us a chance on your second holiday to Samui.

Your review suggests that you checked out most of the hotel facilities –from restaurants to room service and were quite pleased.

Your comment regarding recreation for kids is appreciated. We believe that between the beach, pools and Kids club that there is plenty to keep our youngest guests engaged.

We do hope that your experience with us persuades you (and the kids) to return for your third trip to Samui in a year!

All the best,

Reviewed 30 March 2014

This hotel is like a quiet garden oasis in the heart of the hustle and bustle of Chaweng. The imposing reception and lobby open out onto the beautiful gardens and the beckoning beach beyond. We could not fault the service given to us by all the staff and crew at this hotel. The club level rooms and access to the club facilities were well worth the modest additional cost. Special thanks to Assisant Manager, Hester Yao who made sure our holiday at the Centara Grand was memorable. Also thanks to the staff in the Club rooms (especially Pom).

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear DRRHyvots,

Thank you for sharing your review. We are happy to hear that you and your friends enjoyed the beach, gardens and downtime in The Club.

We are very appreciative of your encouraging comments on the service from Hester and The Club team –thank you for your review and for choosing Centara.

Kind Regards,