All reviews private beach main building chaweng beach an average hotel recommend this hotel nice pool bars and restaurants motorbike
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We took our chances and arrived on Koh Samui without accommodations reserved. Big mistake! Took us over an hour of resort hopping by taxi to finally give up and stay at First House. The price was definitely less than other resorts, but considerably more than the accommodations warranted.

The rooms were basic and spartan. Beds were so hard that I had bruises on my hips. The bathroom was mostly clean, but had mildew around the tub. There was actually a cockroach in the tub when we arrived. That should have clued us in.

The front desk staff were not helpful at all. We thought we had lost our backpack (with iPad, Blackberry, and Bose headphones in it), or that it had been stolen from our room. My husband checked at the front desk and they said they hadn't seen it. He went back in the morning and asked again, and again they said they didn't know where it was. He asked if they could check in the back room, they said no there was nothing there. He pushed the issue, said if it wasn't there then it had been stolen from our room, and they finally went to check. Lo and behold, there was our backpack. If he hadn't pushed them, we never would have recovered it.

**You can negotiate a discount to include breakfast with your room, otherwise they will charge you a fortune for it. The breakfast was actually very good, with a variety of food to choose from.

The location is actually the only really good thing about this place. The beach is beautiful and well groomed. There are free beach chairs to use, and the swimming is great. We didn't even use the pool because the beach was so great. Although it can be hard to find when you're out on your own, especially in the dark, First House is at the end of Chaweng beach and is a very quiet place.

Motorbikes are available for rent and they were decent. Be prepared to leave a passport as a deposit.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so if stairs are a problem, request a room on the ground floor. If stairs aren't a problem, request the top floor because the vaulted ceilings and views are better. If you can afford it, stay in the bungalows next door instead.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Langley4
Reviewed 12 June 2013

I have recently stayed in the hotel for 15 nights, before arriving at the hotel I was a bit concerned after having read the reviews, but my experience here was totally different, yes the standard room did not have a view but this was not a problem I kept my curtains shut which also helped to keep the room cool. The housekeeping service was brilliant linen and towels changed daily and the girls who did the rooms were always around with a smile on their face and a welcoming good morning.
My air con stopped working and when I reported it it was repaired within the hour. The manager of the hotel could not have been more friendly took his time out every day to stop and have a chat with us. Yes the pool did close a couple of days into our stay but this had been posted on the hotel's web site and they did supply transport to their sister hotel if you wanted to use a pool so it really was not an issue "repair work needed to be done and they choose the quietest time of season to do so with as little disturbance to guests" and to be fair the private beach was just beautiful crystal clear waters free sunbeds and a bar area. Around and about this hotel their are some lovely little bars if you don't fancy heading up the road to Chewang, would recommend the Bamboo Bar just a two minute walk from the hotel. But all in all would recommend this hotel to anyone great value for money will be back again in the very near future. Thank you all for our lovely stay :)

Room Tip: Personally the standard room was suitable clean and tidy all you really need.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank cathb04
Reviewed 25 May 2013

The hotel used to be wonderful, our group has been coming here for 15 years - really like their tag line 'budget luxury' but it's just a budget hotel without the luxury. The pool closed after our first day - without warning. I get that happens sometimes... But the really frustrating part was when I spoke to the manager about maybe getting a discount on our room or maybe breakfast included (which was always included and we payed 1/2 the price we paid now) ... He wouldn't even look me in the eye and walked away while I was in mid sentence ... When I called him on it - he came back but seriously disrespectful - in any culture !!! He just yelled at me saying if he compensated me then he would have to for everyone ... Yes he should - everyone is inconvenienced at the hotels fault!!! He was rude and disrespectful and with hundreds of hotels on chaweng beach to choose from this isn't the place to go ... If you like the location, I say stay at first bungalows ... They are beautiful !!!

• Stayed: May 2013
4  Thank Sabiyvr
Reviewed 2 May 2013

We just returned from our trip and this hotel is the last hotel at the end of the road. It is too far from the central shops, the rooms were very old and small with horrible outside view, and my bed sheets had blood stains on them. I would not stay at this hotel ever again. The pool was fairly big and easy access to the beach. If you don't mind the long walk to the shops, old style rooms, and on a budget then this hotel is for you. The staff were not friendly and welcoming at all. If your package does not include breakfast, please be aware that paying for breakfast separately is fairly expensive, and I would recommend you go to a restaurant rather than here. You get what you pay for.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Miguel S
Reviewed 27 April 2013

We stayed in a family room which was huge with plenty of space for our family. The second bedroom had no windows which created a great dark space to encourage the young ones to sleep in! The pool was fantastic and my 6 year old spent many hours swimming in it. When the weather was good the beach in front of the hotel was absolutely gorgeous. The breakfast was good and free with our deal so that was a bonus. My only complaint would be that there was no privacy on the balconies.

• Stayed: April 2013