All reviews private beach main building chaweng beach an average hotel recommend this hotel nice pool bars and restaurants motorbike
Reviewed 26 November 2013

After a month of traveling around Thailand I learned to only book sight unseen for one night. I got there tired and in the dark. The beach looked good. The room was sweltering. I understand it takes time. I spoke at check in about extending my stay. The manager called me asking about it I ssked about gettinga room with ac but all he wanted was me to book more. YES the bathroom is filthy. Yes I slept in my own sleep sack rather than their ragged sheets. No I would never stay there again. I went to blue lagoon had a whole bungalow to myself for a couple bucks more. Stay away from here

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank 44BRADN
Reviewed 20 September 2013

The hotel is good and confortable. The only problem, and not a small one, is the cleanness. Although our room was made everyday, it was never as clean as you expect. The shower curtain had fungus. It looked like it was never cleaned. Bed sheets were stained too. Besides this, the rest of the room was nice. The hotel is located right on and between two beaches, so you can choose the one you like. It is a little far from chaweng center, you will need a tuk tuk or a long walk, but this could be an advantage or disadvantage, depends if you like quiet or noise. Breakfast is outstanding!!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stefano R
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Beds rock hard, theres no quilt cover on the bed , they use an old itchy blanket .the bathrooms are smelly, there mould every where. The owners are very penny pinching, they do not like to spend on the up keep. The old man manager is the worse thing about this place, his rude, sly and unwelcoming , when he is about you can sense the staff are afraid of him. Sometimes they run out of some of the buffet breakfast, if your not up early. The manager takes food from the breakfast buffet and hide s round near the stairs scoffs it before the guest have eaten He watches every thing you eat and makes you fill really unwelcome , there are much better places don't stay here The beach is nice

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nomad282828
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We took our chances and arrived on Koh Samui without accommodations reserved. Big mistake! Took us over an hour of resort hopping by taxi to finally give up and stay at First House. The price was definitely less than other resorts, but considerably more than the accommodations warranted.

The rooms were basic and spartan. Beds were so hard that I had bruises on my hips. The bathroom was mostly clean, but had mildew around the tub. There was actually a cockroach in the tub when we arrived. That should have clued us in.

The front desk staff were not helpful at all. We thought we had lost our backpack (with iPad, Blackberry, and Bose headphones in it), or that it had been stolen from our room. My husband checked at the front desk and they said they hadn't seen it. He went back in the morning and asked again, and again they said they didn't know where it was. He asked if they could check in the back room, they said no there was nothing there. He pushed the issue, said if it wasn't there then it had been stolen from our room, and they finally went to check. Lo and behold, there was our backpack. If he hadn't pushed them, we never would have recovered it.

**You can negotiate a discount to include breakfast with your room, otherwise they will charge you a fortune for it. The breakfast was actually very good, with a variety of food to choose from.

The location is actually the only really good thing about this place. The beach is beautiful and well groomed. There are free beach chairs to use, and the swimming is great. We didn't even use the pool because the beach was so great. Although it can be hard to find when you're out on your own, especially in the dark, First House is at the end of Chaweng beach and is a very quiet place.

Motorbikes are available for rent and they were decent. Be prepared to leave a passport as a deposit.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so if stairs are a problem, request a room on the ground floor. If stairs aren't a problem, request the top floor because the vaulted ceilings and views are better. If you can afford it, stay in the bungalows next door instead.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Langley4
Reviewed 12 June 2013

I have recently stayed in the hotel for 15 nights, before arriving at the hotel I was a bit concerned after having read the reviews, but my experience here was totally different, yes the standard room did not have a view but this was not a problem I kept my curtains shut which also helped to keep the room cool. The housekeeping service was brilliant linen and towels changed daily and the girls who did the rooms were always around with a smile on their face and a welcoming good morning.
My air con stopped working and when I reported it it was repaired within the hour. The manager of the hotel could not have been more friendly took his time out every day to stop and have a chat with us. Yes the pool did close a couple of days into our stay but this had been posted on the hotel's web site and they did supply transport to their sister hotel if you wanted to use a pool so it really was not an issue "repair work needed to be done and they choose the quietest time of season to do so with as little disturbance to guests" and to be fair the private beach was just beautiful crystal clear waters free sunbeds and a bar area. Around and about this hotel their are some lovely little bars if you don't fancy heading up the road to Chewang, would recommend the Bamboo Bar just a two minute walk from the hotel. But all in all would recommend this hotel to anyone great value for money will be back again in the very near future. Thank you all for our lovely stay :)

Room Tip: Personally the standard room was suitable clean and tidy all you really need.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends