“A Little Bit of Paradise”

Buri Rasa Village Samui
Ranked #2 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Boston, Massachusetts
“A Little Bit of Paradise”
Reviewed 24 July 2010

After reading lots of reviews I eventually booked the Buri Rasa for the beach part of our trip to Thailand. Arriving from Bangkok it was a little bit of a shock after the high rise modern hotels I was used to, however this was soon forgotten. The hotel room was fairly basic and in need of a bit of an upgrade and on the first day this was all I could think of. By the time I had my first breakfast overlooking the beach the decor of my room was totally forgotten. The hotel was an oasis of calm and the staff were friendly and attentive. The hotel restaurant was great, the pool under used and the beach amazing. The hotel has an area of private beach and they happily set you up with loungers/towels. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff. The hotel is next to a building site and our room overlooked it but I can honestly say I never heard a thing. Maybe there was no work on site while we were there but for 8 days we heard nothing. The location of the hotel was perfect for the shops/nightlife and we never left Chaweng Beach as there was plenty within walking distance to keep us amused for 8 days. We did go on a half day trip and on the way we passed nicer looking hotels but they had very little within walking distance. For us the the clean but basic decor was outweighed by the location, setting, beach, food, staff......... of the Buri Rasa. I didn't want to leave and can't wait to go back

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Vienna
Reviewed 22 July 2010

We stayed there twice over the last 2 months. Even though the staff was really lovely and very friendly our stays were not very pleasant.
Both stays were just 1 day overnight stays as we connected to nearby Koh Phangan.

When you get in there you are greeted warmly and the reception area is a very nice oasis compared to noisy and smelly Chaweng.

The first room was ok apart from a lot of ants in our room-but that's something you have to deal with while being in South East Asia.

The next day we had breakfast and this was a shame. I grabbed a piece of wheat bread and before putting it in the toaster, I just recognized that it was moldy....

This can happen-but just shouldn't.
After this I ordered some scrambled eggs with cheese and onions and the cheese was just foul which was really disgusting.

Even though we were really not impressed by the hotel, we decided to stay there once again to give them a second chance, especially as their staff is really great and trying their best.

When we stayed there a second time, they offered us a Plunge Pool room and this was no pleasure at all.

The grass in the garden area was everything but green, the pathway was dirty, full of lizard "dirt" and just not very welcoming. The plunge pool was a joke-we would have never taken a bath in there. The water was turbid and the whole place was just not very inviting.

They really tried to make nice rooms and for sure they had been nice some time ago, but I'm very picky when it comes to cleanliness and this was a huge disappointment-the curtains in the bedroom, bathroom and closet were all dirty as the shower curtain was. The room was very dark and just didn't give us a warm feeling.

The pool area is very nice, but when it comes to the beach area you will find some dirty and old plastic sunchairs, that are not really inviting.
To be fair I have to point out, that the Buri Rasa used to be a very nice place, but just doesn't offer a high standard anymore. We also stayed at their sister resort on Koh Phangan and couldn't believe that those 2 are linked to each other as the other one was fantastic.

Another negative aspect-even though it's not their fault-is the construction going on next door, which started at around 7 a.m. exactly next to our room-this was just amazing......

Regarding all the other positive reviews we were probably just not on the lucky side, but we will definitely not go there again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank monevienna
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 20 July 2010

My partner (now fiance!) and I got engaged at Buri Rasa!. So I will always have fond memories of this place. My fiance arranged through the hotel staff, for them to decorate the suite with flowers, candles, etc. It was very romantic and definitely helped me to say yes to the proposal! They did not even charge us for this. However it wasn't all smooth sailing...

When we first got to Buri Rasa, we were immediately impressed by the friendliness of the staff (the driver from the airport and reception staff). We thought the grounds were beautiful at night and had a nice ambience. We also got a free upgrade from Deluxe Studio to the Seaview Suite. Bonus! However, the room, while spacious, was in need of a touch of renovation for me to label it luxurious. It's just showing its age a bit. I had an email from the Manager saying that there will be some renovations in November (ie TVs need serious upgrade and aircon too noisy!! First night couldn't sleep well until I got used to it). The bathroom smelt a little funny but this was remedied by staff the very next night with a much stronger essence burner. (My fiance and I figured out later that the smell was just Koh Samui water!). I think our first impression of Buri Rasa that night was slight disappointment. The next day, again a little disappointed by the breakfast. Small buffet and a la carte hot breakfast. The pancakes, thai breakfast were good. The poached eggs, sausages, french toast were below average. Juices, fruits, pastries were a good, although usual selection. We did have lunch twice at Betelnut - the thai food was excellent. We also recommend Eat Sense 2 doors down for good thai food. We also got glimpses of the private courtyard with dip pools as we walked by - nothing to rave about I think.
I think the saving grace of Buri Rasa is definitely the location, beach and staff. Right on Chaweng. The beach was beautiful- clear, warm blue water and soft, clean sand. The beach at this end of Chaweng was quiet. As you walk up towards the busier section, the sand starts getting a bit dirty with trash. If you stay in Chaweng, stay at the Buri Rasa end! Unless you like it to be really busy, although we were there during low season. We just laid about on sunlounges (underneath the shade of a big tree) and ordered drinks all day. Again the staff were very lovely, always smiling. Free cold towels and snacks were given out as well. The pool was a bit small - but we never used it - the beach is a million times better! We also loved that it's a small hotel instead of a large, impersonal one crammed with too many people.
Prior to coming to Buri Rasa, we ummm and ahh'd about other hotels. We did go to Zazen one night for dinner. That place looks amazing! Really gorgeous. It made us think that maybe we should have booked Zazen instead......until we saw the beach - really short strip and rough looking sand. It did not look nice at all. A friend of ours knows the manager of Six Sense and he said that there's nothing much to do in Bophut anyway...

I think once Buri Rasa does the renovations it'd be perfect.....and also if the construction finishes next door (minor irritation but not as quiet as described in some reviews). Overall, we loved our stay in Buri Rasa.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 July 2010

We have just returned from our third trip to Thailand, this time for 3 weeks.

We stayed 8 nights at the Buri Rasa in a Garden Court Room with Dip Pool. We paid $AUD280 per night. Our stay should have been wonderful, but it wasn't. The hotel sends everyone who stays there a generic email asking them to review their hotel on tripadvisor, so I thought I should take them up on the request!

Things which were great:
Location: In the middle of Charweng on a lovely strech of beach. Opposite a local restaurant (Ninja Crepes) which has great, cheap food.
Quiet - We didn't have any problems with noise
Rooms: Large and spacious
Grounds: Small, boutique resort.
Food: Breakfast was incredible. Small, lovely buffet and a menu to order freshly cooked food such as eggs and pad thai (included in the price) The restaurant (Betelnut) was wonderful - incredible food!

Things which were terrible:
Our dip pool was broken, and we weren't even informed in was broken!! Considering we were travelling with a 10 month old baby, we were very annoyed that they would endanger the baby this way. It was not until we went to reception and asked about the pool, that they reluctantly told us that "perhaps" it was not working. We were told consistently over the next 5 days that it would be fixed "in the next 2 hrs". At no stage did any management ever come to see us or do anything about the problem. Eventually after 5 nights my patience had run out and I tracked down the manager and asked her for an explanation and again got vague comments to the effect that they were looking into it etc etc
We were offered another rooms but they either didn't have pools or weren't as good. We were told that all the pools were broken, but it turned out that wasn't actually the case. It was just ours and our parents - yes, their pool was broken too!!
Everything changed when I said that I had actually taken photos of the brown, dirty water in the pool and was going to post them online and email them to my travel agent in Australia. Suddenly, the attitude changed (Surprise, surprise!!)
In the end we were given AUD$350 credit to use at the resort and then a refund of AUD$350. The whole process though was excruciating, and to be honest spoilt what should have been a great holiday. The thing we were most looking forward to was having our own pool!

Also, a number of other reviewers have commented on booking a room type and the resort wanting them to pay extra. This also happened to us - they insisted that we had only booked a Garden Court room which we had a confirmation from the Travel Agent clearing saying we had booked a Dip Pool. This required 2 phone calls to Bangkok to clarify. But compared to the dramas with the pool, it then seemed quite minor!

The resort has lots of promise - fabulous food and great grounds but they need to fix the dip pools and need much better management!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank eachschoolholidays
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed 2 July 2010

We stayed at the Buri Rasa a while ago now and I'm only just getting around to writing a review but most of the points will still ring true. The rooms are great, beautiful 4 poster beds etc. We moved from our first room as the room was very close to the road and the construction site next door.....very noisy! Especially the music from the shops opposite. Our second room was more peaceful.
We were looking for a resort that had nightlife and good restaurants nearby but was a bit of a haven, which the buri rasa was, but chaweng itself was a big disappointment. I travelled there a few years previously and found it a great mix of local restaurants and western, nightclubs and quieter bars but it's completely changed. You struggle to find Thai food, there are more Irish pubs than anything, which was not what we were looking for but maybe that's what you want.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Moscow
Reviewed 28 June 2010

The hotel itself is very comfy and beautiful. The staff is very helpful, always ready to get what you want, always smiling, friendly and caring, they try to remember what you like for breakfast, where you like to sunbathe, chef was the best, we liked the food immensly and besides he was cooking for us every lunch a chicken soup by our recepie-our stomachs appreciated it))))

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Olesya2010
Buenos Aires
Reviewed 23 June 2010

I stayed at the Buri Rasa in May. I was travelling for business in Asia and decided to take a one week break to relax in Thailand. Being a woman travelling on my own it was key for me to find a hotel that was well located and that provided a safe environment
Buri Rasa was the perfect choice without a doubt!
The hotel is adorable, small enough so that the staff knows who you are....close enough to the happening sites in Chaweng but far away enough so as to be isolated from the frenzy.
Granted I visited in May which is low season...I would definitely not chose Chaweng Beach during the high season....
But if you must, then Buris Rasa is the best choice. They provide you w free DVDs (travelling alone this is a great plus! specially if you get rainiy days and cannot go to the beach) and most important of all, free wi fi in all the resort (even on the beach!)
So this allowed me to combine business w pleasure w no problem.
The rooms are very clean and cute, the garden is adorable (every single day I wished my husband was there w me!) and the beach is on the father end of Chaweng which is the pretiest.
So if your destination is Chaweng, I would definitely stay at the Buri Rasa!
PS: the hotel restarant is amazing! little pricy when compared to usual Thai price levels but totally worth it and still cheaper than one might pay for a similar meal in any other part of the world!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Caroypupi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chaweng
Poppies Samui
#10 of 104 in Chaweng
Bo Phut Resort & Spa
Bo Phut Resort & Spa
#3 of 186 in Bophut

Been to Buri Rasa Village Samui? Share your experiences!