“Good hotel perhaps with just a few issues”

Novotel Samui Resort Chaweng Beach Kandaburi
Ranked #29 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I'll start by saying that if you are already booked into this hotel, and are checking whether you've made the right choice, don't worry. You have. You'd have a great time. However, if you're reading this and wondering whether to book it, I suppose it would depend on what kind of deal you are getting. All things equal, there are others in Koh Samui I would stay at.

Rooms: The rooms are huge. When looking for a flat in Manchester a few years back, I saw none that were bigger. The beds were really comfy, plenty of storage and nice sitting area. However, the rooms are only separated from the bathroom WC by a curtain. The showed curtain is inadequate and water goes everywhere. The sunken bath, whilst looking gorgeous, is not really made for a western physique and anybody much larger than the norm (in height or weight) will find the bath on the tight side.

The Resort: The hotel is built from the shore up the hill, and as a result some rooms require quite a walk up the hill. My partner was pregnant and struggled significantly in the heat making it back to the room. There are lots of steps and the resort is absolutely not suitable for people who find walking difficult.

The Food: We only had breakfast and lunch and both were fine. Nothing spectacular, but fine.

The pool area: A real plus. Two pools, one in each side of the hotel, and we never had a problem getting pool loungers. The pool itself was rarely crowded and at a nice temperature.

The beach: The beach is nice, but the sea being in a lagoon tends to have a lot of seaweed. The sea is very calm and shallow for a significant distance out.

Location: We found it perfect. A medium distance walk into town along the road, or a much nicer walk along the beach, stopping off at the various beach bars on the way, For Scuba, theres a scuba centre next door.

Facilities: I only really tried the poolside massage. Very reasonable in price and a good massage.

Staff: Some of the staff were amazing (the young girl who worked at breakfast and I think was a student, working during school holidays in particular). There was a mix up when we arrived where it looked as though the hotel had cancelled our booking. Even then though the staff were friendly and helpful just not the perfect start to the holiday.

Would we return. Yes, if it was a good deal. But the competition for hotels on the island means that realistically it would be elsewhere. However, we LOVED Koh Samui.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank csf1981
Write a ReviewReviews (1,044)

Reviewed 17 June 2012

We stayed here october 2011 and loved it,place was immaculately clean,room was spacious and bathroom was massive,I would love to go back again,I have travelled to the Caribbean and loved it but this place beats there,the scenery is lovely,you are short walk or shuttle bus ride to chaweng with loads of shops,bars,restaurants and massage places(a definite must) it is a steep hill if you walk on return journey,the hotel staff were always polite and friendly and the manager,John was a really nice bloke,it's a quite large resort but never crowded anywhere,in fact the pool at the top we often had to ourselves,I can't compliment this hotel enough and am happy to answer any questions you may have

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Donna Y
Reviewed 14 June 2012

I stayed at this resort and this review is well overdue. From the time we arrived everything was wonderful . Check in quick and easy ...accommodation was wonderful very spacious and bathroom WOW breakfast was fantastic ...the resort was over two areas either side of the road leading onto the beach ....hillside was great quieter and the pool was fantastic .... The staff were fantastic unfortunately while staying there I came down with food poisoning..not from eating at the resort may I add ... Management called an ambulance and I spent the next three days in hospital ...the resort kept In touch to make sure I was ok when I was released they made sure I was ok ...the rest of the stay was great leaving was hard as it became to be home after 16 days ... Check out a breeze ..thank you to everyone for the experience

• Stayed: July 2011
3  Thank eliandtam
Reviewed 13 June 2012

This hotel was very nice. Had nice rooms, we stay in a delux hillsides which was very big nice bathroom. The hotel serves good breakfast. With all this in mind I will never recommend this hotel or stay he ever again. This is due to the lack of service, and respect from the staff. On check in the receptionist gave us loads of info however as her English was poor she couldn't not answer any of my questions. Getting her to sell me an Internet code was so hard. At breakfast we would walk in and provide our room number. We sat at a table and on many occasions waited around 10 mins for someone to come round to offer us coffee or tea. Even when our guests who had come in after us had been offered the coffee. The hotel offer shuttle buses into chewang town (one way). These are run 3 time during the day. To take advantage of the service there were time when the bus would be full and we would have to walk. The bus can only carry 9 passengers. No member of staff ever apologised when this happened. On check out I was given my bill which I paid. The lady took my money and that was it. No thank you or did you enjoy your stay. Overall this let the hotel down for me. Staff who are this rude was a shock to see in koh samui as our overall expirenace with the people of this island was fantastic. I wold recommend staying elsewhere when visiting this beatifl island.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank J M
Reviewed 10 June 2012

loved the location of this resort.Staff very helpful , breakfast was very good.
Had a hillside room very big overlooking the pool. About a ten minute walk along the beach to the town.Retaurants on the beach were very nice plenty to chose from lots of seafood !!! You can swim and snorkel just in front of the resort.
Would stay again at this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pickos7
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Rooms are big, good breakfast. Need for newer towels. I had few ants and insects. Friendly and clean.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 May 2012

We stayed at the Kandaburi from the 18th May for a week. We stayed on the beach side in a lovely spacious room, with a king size bed and a beautiful big bathroom with seperate shower & bath. The room & resort where beautifuly kept and the staff always eager to help you in any way. The resort has a beautiful big and sparkiling clean pool beside the beach. The breakfast was served beside the the beach with lots of variety and beautiful views.
Its only a 15 minute pleasant walk along the beach to Chewang. Along the beach there are some lovely resteraunts and Thai ladies offering massages, which where delightful.
I would recomend this resort to anyone travelling to Koh Samui, I cant' wait to go back again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple