“Great place, right price, awesome location.”

Baan Chaweng Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #21 of 103 Hotels in Chaweng
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We stayed from Sept 9 to Sept 17, 2013. We paid around USD 87 per night for a "Superior Building Room". I didn't think this was cheap especially since we live in South Africa and the South African Rand only gets us 3 Bhat or 10c American. However, I did loads of research and price checking for our dates and could not find anything that appealed to me at this price or less. Spending more was not an option. No regrets whatsoever! We really loved Baan Chaweng. Upon arrival we were immediately impressed and relieved that there is no deception in the photos available on TA or the Baan Chaweng Website. It was beautiful. Staff were so warm and friendly and checked us in within minutes. They remained warm and friendly every time we saw them. I loved all of the staff here. I was seriously on the lookout for the rude or indifferent ones that a couple of reviewers have mentioned. There were none. The staff are awesome. Always willing to advise us, organize cars or scooters or whatever, chat to us about our day, and give us warm genuine greetings every time we saw them. Both male and female, all were genuinely friendly. We got an upstairs room in the building and we loved it. Very very spacious, with a huge balcony. Don't expect ocean views from any balconies or "building rooms". The theme here is like a jungle oasis. Lush tall trees and gardens surround you and it is beautiful and cozy. As others have mentioned, the beds are really hard, so we simply asked reception to provide the cushioned mattress cover which they were happy to do for us. No charge, of course. The room and finishes: Spacious, tidy, tastefully decorated, private, balcony, quiet, but unpretentious with simple finishes. The floors have a screed finish. This is a coating that is applied over the concrete that looks like decorative polished concrete. I found it to look good, feel good under foot, and think it is practical and sensible. Everything is very clean in the room and in good condition. The minibar has plenty of convenient beverages, but so does the 7-11, so we didn't really use the mini bar. There was sufficient space for a bag of ice in the freezer and to keep all of our waters cold. I have included some photos of our room, the lobby, and the balcony.
Complimentary waters provided daily. Housekeeping was great and everyday everything was replenished, all towels replaced, even our own things like shoes and bags were tidied up a bit. We felt really well taken care of. Over the week when i had time to really stare at the details, I did see that there is some minor things around the property that are looking aged, or poorly finished. Some of the teak handrails (not on the balcony) for example, felt a bit loose and looked like they could use some new oil or varnish. The bathroom tile finishes, upon close inspection, are kind of poorly done with thick gaps of grout. Clearly all done in a very economical manner. This stuff didn't bother us in the least!! I highly doubt you will find better at this price when you consider accommodation and overall ambiance and convenience. If you are not the type who must have granite and marble and glass balustrades etc. then you should love this place. A few of the evenings and nights, distant music could be heard from Ark Bar or somewhereI, but no thumping bass, and nothing that could keep you awake at night. I am very very sensitive to noise when i am in my room. I expect tranquility and I had it. I only heard the music when i woke up a couple of times before the sunrise and switched off my aircon. For us, noise was not an issue in any way. This property is ideally located on the beach, where you can walk over the the parties, or browse the street shops on the road. The property is set back from the main road much further than other hotels which is great. No noise or hustle bustle once you're on the property. There is a private lane and parking area guarded by security 24-7. The beach is practically private just for the hotel. Of course, people and vendors can pass by, but there is a rope on the sand demarcating the very large area of sun loungers just for Baan Chaweng. The water was clean and warm and wonderful to swim in. Shallow enough for kids and those who aren't great swimmers (like my wife) but it gets nicely deep a bit further out for the real swimmers. There are a bunch of jetskis that are stationed just to the left of our section of beach, floating in the water, not on the beach. They posed no problem, and are not very noisy. When someone rents one, they take off with it and you don't see or hear them again until they return it. We felt that there was just enough lively activity on the beach and in the water. The water is clean and blue, but not clear. visibility will be poor for snorkeling. The pool, that has been called small by some reviewers, looked pretty big to me, and beautiful, and was empty most of the time, so if you are visiting at a slower time of year, it might be all yours if you want it. Whether for beach or pool, there are beach towels issued to you near the pool which you drop off when you're done with them. No bringing sandy towels back to your room to hang dry, so that's nice. I popped in at a few other resorts along the beach and none of them made me feel like i made the wrong choice. Breakfast was great! There are standard western items available every day, as well as a couple of Thai dishes (more like lunch-food in my opinion) which changed every couple of days to something new. Omelets done quickly while you wait, scrambled eggs, fried eggs,copious bacon, sausages (actually little hotdogs or viennas) several kinds of bread for toasting. Croissants (not luxury buttery crispy ones), pastries, cereals, fruit and yogurt. I can't see how anyone can fault this breakfast for a mid range hotel. The coffee was not great, but not gross. Not really hot in the pot, so once you add milk it's barely warm. We bought some Nescafe gold and had a cup in our room every morning. There's a kettle and mugs provided. If the price of Baan Chaweng is right for you, then I highly, highly recommend it. If we go back to Thailand I would certainly stay again. Thank you for a wonderful time, Baan Chaweng!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank slimkoppie

Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

My sons (4&6) and I had a nice stay at Baan Chaweng - clean, good sized rooms with lovely bathrooms, decent restaurant and good pool. However, the children's pool is so small that unless you have infants it is close to useless.
Even though the hotel is located by the beach, away from the main road, the bass is quite high from the night clubs, which can be a disturbance if you are a light sleeper. We didn't perceive it as a problem.
Restaurant was okay, main courses very nice, breakfast as expected. The service was quite slow in the morning considering how few guests were there. Would we come back? Sure, but nothing fancy, might as well stay somewhere else.

Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank BothBuzAndFun
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 6 nights. The lobby is nice and clean, the staffs are very friendly and welcoming. The rooms are well organized and clean. They do have a cute swimming pool which is actually very near to the beach. The food from the restaurant is very good and cheap. Highly recommended.

Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 16 October 2013

a great hotel and excellent location.the over all service was fantastic which will puy a five star hotel yo shame.staff were very friendly,and the adminishtration was spoy on.very good value for money.a coffee shop could be added to add variety to eating options.pool is small but cozy.
i thank the staff and management for making my trip memorable.
shall come back again.

Room Tip: go for the grand deluxe villa near the ocean,if you love gradens then all rooms are good to stay.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 1957deepak
Reviewed 28 September 2013

This is a wonderful hotel, recommended to me by my sister. By Asia standards I would rate it a good 4 star hotel. The location is perfect, right in the middle of Chaweng, but in a side street on the beach, so not hassled by the noise of Chaweng.
Wonderful beach and spa, friendly staff and really spacious room

Room Tip: Try to get a beach bungalow
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

Overall I really loved the stay at this hotel. There is so much greenery, trees and birds that you feel that you're in the middle of the rainforest and at the end of the walking path you arrive at the beach.

I found the breakfast to be very good with plenty of choices. You sit overlooking the sea.

Rooms were clean and comfortable with nice decor.

Service was outstanding at the hotel and you get smiles at each encounter with the hotel staff. They really see to it that your stay is comfortable and they keep everything tidy and clean.
The only reason I gave a 4 star rating on service and not 5 star is due to the fact that there is no free wifi at the hotel. You would expect that when you pay not cheap in Thai standards for a hotel, you will also get free wifi. All the plenty of other hotels in Thailand I stayed at provided this service free of charge.

Beach chair area is really nice with tree shade.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 17 September 2013

This hotel is really supurb. Ideal postioned on a long sandy stretch of beach. The Staff are highly trained its as if you have your own butler. Nothing is too much trouble at all. The breakfast is a small selection but will satisfy all nationalities.
We had a deluxe seafacing room above the spa nice and private with nobody walking past . The bedroom is beautiful , the bathroom had a lovely huge walk in shower, the Hair dryer fast speed compared to other hotels. Loved the sea, no rocks, plenty of food venders and clothing sellers on the beach. Walk the other way out of hotel and there in the street is all the action, pubs, clubs, scooters, cars, music shop till you drop, massage parlours and various pubs with all kinds of menus to suit your pallate.
on the weekend Bophut night market is a must by Tuk tuk 200 bht each way. Big Buddah a good sight to go to and also to shop for lovely clothing all made out of cheesecloth..Night life on beach in front of hotel is stunning, chinese lanterns, people walking with feet in the ocean as it laps the shore. At the hotel you can have massages on the beach or in their lovely spa. We had to vacate our room long before flying out and they locked our luggage away and gave me access to a room with a shower ,hairdryer and all the toiletries. There is a scale in the locker room to weigh your luggage (or yourself!) Mosquitos here so take repellent with you. ONLY Downside is NO Free WI Fi they told me next year they will have it. So just walked around with I pad and found places to have a drink and a meal with free wi fi. Bargain well below half price with the sellers. You will need to buy another small suitcase lots to bring home from Chaweng. The airport is close by so you do have planes on the hour flying low over this area, but it is not a disturbance at all at night and neither is the Ark Bar music a bit higher up on the beach where the younger set congregate. Cant fault this Hotel its ideal for your holiday. Had our washing done down the road washed and ironed for 210Bht nicely packed ready to pack in suitcase. High five to mangement and staff of this lovely hotel.

Room Tip: Room above the spa nice and private.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple