“Quiet hotel in lovely setting”

Baan Chaweng Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #26 of 104 Hotels in Chaweng
East Sussex, United Kingdom
“Quiet hotel in lovely setting”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

There are so many hotels around this area that it's difficult to choose - we only stayed here as a friend was also staying and recommended. The hotel is down a side turning off the very busy main road in Chaweng so excellent location to access the many bars/restaurants. Helpful and welcoming staff. We booked a standard room which was a good size with a nice large bathroom - the rooms could do with a bit of updating, the bed was very hard and the towels have seen better days however everything was kept very clean. The rooms are set in lush tropical gardens with a path leading down to the pool/restaurant and beach. Small pool but right on the beach with plenty of sun-loungers. The restaurant overlooks the beach and the included breakfast was very reasonable - nice touch is the chef who cooks your eggs to order. Didn't visit the spa itself but the spa staff also set up beds on the beach for treatments at a considerably reduced price - well worth taking advantage of this option if you don't mind people watching!

Room Tip: Some of the standard rooms are quite dark so would recommend looking at several options - if you can...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 51angler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Thai first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We stayed from Sept 9 to Sept 17, 2013. We paid around USD 87 per night for a "Superior Building Room". I didn't think this was cheap especially since we live in South Africa and the South African Rand only gets us 3 Bhat or 10c American. However, I did loads of research and price checking for our dates and could not find anything that appealed to me at this price or less. Spending more was not an option. No regrets whatsoever! We really loved Baan Chaweng. Upon arrival we were immediately impressed and relieved that there is no deception in the photos available on TA or the Baan Chaweng Website. It was beautiful. Staff were so warm and friendly and checked us in within minutes. They remained warm and friendly every time we saw them. I loved all of the staff here. I was seriously on the lookout for the rude or indifferent ones that a couple of reviewers have mentioned. There were none. The staff are awesome. Always willing to advise us, organize cars or scooters or whatever, chat to us about our day, and give us warm genuine greetings every time we saw them. Both male and female, all were genuinely friendly. We got an upstairs room in the building and we loved it. Very very spacious, with a huge balcony. Don't expect ocean views from any balconies or "building rooms". The theme here is like a jungle oasis. Lush tall trees and gardens surround you and it is beautiful and cozy. As others have mentioned, the beds are really hard, so we simply asked reception to provide the cushioned mattress cover which they were happy to do for us. No charge, of course. The room and finishes: Spacious, tidy, tastefully decorated, private, balcony, quiet, but unpretentious with simple finishes. The floors have a screed finish. This is a coating that is applied over the concrete that looks like decorative polished concrete. I found it to look good, feel good under foot, and think it is practical and sensible. Everything is very clean in the room and in good condition. The minibar has plenty of convenient beverages, but so does the 7-11, so we didn't really use the mini bar. There was sufficient space for a bag of ice in the freezer and to keep all of our waters cold. I have included some photos of our room, the lobby, and the balcony.
Complimentary waters provided daily. Housekeeping was great and everyday everything was replenished, all towels replaced, even our own things like shoes and bags were tidied up a bit. We felt really well taken care of. Over the week when i had time to really stare at the details, I did see that there is some minor things around the property that are looking aged, or poorly finished. Some of the teak handrails (not on the balcony) for example, felt a bit loose and looked like they could use some new oil or varnish. The bathroom tile finishes, upon close inspection, are kind of poorly done with thick gaps of grout. Clearly all done in a very economical manner. This stuff didn't bother us in the least!! I highly doubt you will find better at this price when you consider accommodation and overall ambiance and convenience. If you are not the type who must have granite and marble and glass balustrades etc. then you should love this place. A few of the evenings and nights, distant music could be heard from Ark Bar or somewhereI, but no thumping bass, and nothing that could keep you awake at night. I am very very sensitive to noise when i am in my room. I expect tranquility and I had it. I only heard the music when i woke up a couple of times before the sunrise and switched off my aircon. For us, noise was not an issue in any way. This property is ideally located on the beach, where you can walk over the the parties, or browse the street shops on the road. The property is set back from the main road much further than other hotels which is great. No noise or hustle bustle once you're on the property. There is a private lane and parking area guarded by security 24-7. The beach is practically private just for the hotel. Of course, people and vendors can pass by, but there is a rope on the sand demarcating the very large area of sun loungers just for Baan Chaweng. The water was clean and warm and wonderful to swim in. Shallow enough for kids and those who aren't great swimmers (like my wife) but it gets nicely deep a bit further out for the real swimmers. There are a bunch of jetskis that are stationed just to the left of our section of beach, floating in the water, not on the beach. They posed no problem, and are not very noisy. When someone rents one, they take off with it and you don't see or hear them again until they return it. We felt that there was just enough lively activity on the beach and in the water. The water is clean and blue, but not clear. visibility will be poor for snorkeling. The pool, that has been called small by some reviewers, looked pretty big to me, and beautiful, and was empty most of the time, so if you are visiting at a slower time of year, it might be all yours if you want it. Whether for beach or pool, there are beach towels issued to you near the pool which you drop off when you're done with them. No bringing sandy towels back to your room to hang dry, so that's nice. I popped in at a few other resorts along the beach and none of them made me feel like i made the wrong choice. Breakfast was great! There are standard western items available every day, as well as a couple of Thai dishes (more like lunch-food in my opinion) which changed every couple of days to something new. Omelets done quickly while you wait, scrambled eggs, fried eggs,copious bacon, sausages (actually little hotdogs or viennas) several kinds of bread for toasting. Croissants (not luxury buttery crispy ones), pastries, cereals, fruit and yogurt. I can't see how anyone can fault this breakfast for a mid range hotel. The coffee was not great, but not gross. Not really hot in the pot, so once you add milk it's barely warm. We bought some Nescafe gold and had a cup in our room every morning. There's a kettle and mugs provided. If the price of Baan Chaweng is right for you, then I highly, highly recommend it. If we go back to Thailand I would certainly stay again. Thank you for a wonderful time, Baan Chaweng!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank slimkoppie
Copenhagen
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

My sons (4&6) and I had a nice stay at Baan Chaweng - clean, good sized rooms with lovely bathrooms, decent restaurant and good pool. However, the children's pool is so small that unless you have infants it is close to useless.
Even though the hotel is located by the beach, away from the main road, the bass is quite high from the night clubs, which can be a disturbance if you are a light sleeper. We didn't perceive it as a problem.
Restaurant was okay, main courses very nice, breakfast as expected. The service was quite slow in the morning considering how few guests were there. Would we come back? Sure, but nothing fancy, might as well stay somewhere else.

Stayed November 2013
2 Thank BothBuzAndFun
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 6 nights. The lobby is nice and clean, the staffs are very friendly and welcoming. The rooms are well organized and clean. They do have a cute swimming pool which is actually very near to the beach. The food from the restaurant is very good and cheap. Highly recommended.

Stayed October 2013
Patna, India
Reviewed 16 October 2013

a great hotel and excellent location.the over all service was fantastic which will puy a five star hotel yo shame.staff were very friendly,and the adminishtration was spoy on.very good value for money.a coffee shop could be added to add variety to eating options.pool is small but cozy.
i thank the staff and management for making my trip memorable.
shall come back again.

Room Tip: go for the grand deluxe villa near the ocean,if you love gradens then all rooms are good to stay.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 1957deepak
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 September 2013

This is a wonderful hotel, recommended to me by my sister. By Asia standards I would rate it a good 4 star hotel. The location is perfect, right in the middle of Chaweng, but in a side street on the beach, so not hassled by the noise of Chaweng.
Wonderful beach and spa, friendly staff and really spacious room

Room Tip: Try to get a beach bungalow
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

Overall I really loved the stay at this hotel. There is so much greenery, trees and birds that you feel that you're in the middle of the rainforest and at the end of the walking path you arrive at the beach.

I found the breakfast to be very good with plenty of choices. You sit overlooking the sea.

Rooms were clean and comfortable with nice decor.

Service was outstanding at the hotel and you get smiles at each encounter with the hotel staff. They really see to it that your stay is comfortable and they keep everything tidy and clean.
The only reason I gave a 4 star rating on service and not 5 star is due to the fact that there is no free wifi at the hotel. You would expect that when you pay not cheap in Thai standards for a hotel, you will also get free wifi. All the plenty of other hotels in Thailand I stayed at provided this service free of charge.

Beach chair area is really nice with tree shade.

• Stayed September 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chaweng
Chaweng Garden Beach Resort
#8 of 104 in Chaweng
Chaweng Cove Beach Resort
Chaweng Cove Beach Resort
#36 of 104 in Chaweng

Been to Baan Chaweng Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!