“Awful service and expensive”

Dara Samui Beach Resort
Ranked #23 of 103 Hotels in Chaweng
Reviewed 17 May 2011

Very disappointed. Had to carry luggage by my self up the stairs to open air reception without air conditioning. Their superior rooms are standard rooms. They sold us a family room but only had 3 beds. When complined was told to takt it or leave it. They wanted extra money for change of room. They charged extra for my 10 years old breakfast even though it was supposed to be included. We couldn't do anything as we were stuck there. At breakfast the service was awful. Spoke to number of other people staying there who had similar experience. One family from Isreal had a 2 year son and they had to pay extra for his breakfast. Hotel didn't even let them checkout later or even let them use facility to stay till their flight time.

On the positive, the location of His in a very popular area. Many resturants and barsotel near by. No need to hire car as everything within walking distance. We hired Moped to get around. Hotel is expensive for food and drinks. Customre service was non existant. Beach is nice but sea wather was too shallow as it is closed off to main sea.

Hotel decor was nice and bathrooms in the room is speacous. I really would not recommedn this hotel for cost and service but location is nice.

Room Tip: They do not have family rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Hari043

Reviewed 4 May 2011

we really enjoyed our stay, the room was very big, with everything we needed and more.
the hotel is on the beach and has a great pool and resturant.
the hotel is in the middle of everything close to all bars and clubs and the shops, but still quiet at night.
the staff was great the breakfast was very good.
i really really recommend, we will be back for sure !

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank litalcrespin
Reviewed 11 March 2011

This is not a 4 star Hotel!!! Not even 3 star!!! Don't go. I asked them to pay the first night and give me back the other 2 nights and they denied! This Hotel is very dirty, you can see it at the photos that i have uploaded. The breakfast is horrible! not even fresh orange juice. There are very good hotels at Chaweng, this is not even acceptable.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank anacondas
Reviewed 26 February 2011

Wonderful location, nice boutique resort, the beach is also very nice, white sand and clear blue sea. You can walk right from the hotel to the beach. Staff is not really nice and dont take room 511 ;) sometimes there is a electric/power failure on the island. The power unit is under this room what gives a lot of diesel smell and noise. I complained but the staff was not very helpful. I asked for another room because the smell was terrible and i could not stay in the room. It was like sitting behind the exhaust of a truck. If there is no electric for a few hours i dont mind, that can happen. Then the staff came with a spray of parfum for the room pffff so disapointing. I had expected more help and understanding from the so called manager. I paid a lot of money for the room.

• Stayed: March 2010
Reviewed 11 January 2011

LOCATION/SERVICE - OK

Location is really good - right on the beach and walking distance from Chaweng shops/restoraunts, but far enough to escape from the noise.
Clean rooms, 4* service, nothing wrong with service. I can't say everybody was smiling and was all around you, but you garanteed to get your drinks on time, and room service.

Again about BREAKFAST/FURNITURE - not OK

But they obviously need to make changes in aspects that most off people are complaining about in there reviews: breakfasts and old furniture. Look at pics I publish.

SPA - just dont waste your time and money there.

Does manager know what's happening in there spa???
I'm not sure how spa is being controlled and by whom, but smth not very good is happening there :-(

The first thing - there's a guy, dressed like a girl working there. Or after sex change operation. I don't care about Thai's 3d sex as long as they dont touch me. But unfortunately that was the only person available for me both 2 days for procedures. Ruined my manicure 3 times, bad massage.
Not a pleasant experience.

The main thing - service is terrible.
-there's no relaxing atmospere: they chat to each other constantly, even when one of them is with a client, doing pedicure for example....(my experience - one girl is doing pedicure, another sits next to her and talk and laugh)
-they turn people dawn everyday!!! They tell people "we r fully booked" all the time and than sit for 2 hours doing nothing (!!!) drinking tea. I saw that with my own eyes. They dont want to work and some how get away with it.
-they speak no English or just r pretend not to. I ordered "tai chi massage" and got a traditional thai massage instead of it.

My advice - go to fantastic SPA next door on a right (honestly - the best SPA I've been in Thailand - Rai ra).

CONSTRUCTION WORK - not OK

Under our windows, everyday, loud... and a paint smell. It didnt really bother us as we wake up early and go to the beach anyway. But if u like to sleep late think about it....

We enjoyed staying in a hotel, but I wouldnt recommened anyone to stay there before Dara fixes spa, furniture, breakfasts and till the end of construction works.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2011

The Dara Samui is a great mix of comfort and value for money.

My friend and I wanted somewhere on the beach, at the luxury end without being outrageous and close enough to the bars and restaurants that we didn't need to organise transport. The Dara Samui ticked all these boxes.

Breakfast is served over looking the pool and the beach - an excellent way to start the day. The hotel is also more than happy to organise any day trips to other Islands or to Ang Thong on your behalf. We wanted to rent a car to tour the island - it was ready in 15 minutes.

If you want to spend time on the beach in Samui, you have to stay at a hotel that is beach front (as only guests can use the sun lounges, unlike in Phuket where anyone can rent one). The Dara Samui has an excellent pool/beach bar that caters to all your needs while spending a tough day doing nothing.

Overall, we both really enjoyed our stay and would definitely return for a second visit.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 October 2010

My first trip to Samui was beyond expectations and my stay at Dara Samui played a huge part in this. The hotel is stunning, the rooms and amenities are sparkling clean and comfortable, the breakfast, bar menu and dinner delicious, the level of service exceptional, the location is a very short (2min) walk to the best nightlife on Chaweng but far enough from the pumping music to sleep well - we could not have asked for anything more. One thing (and this is not to do with hotel) but the ocean directly in front is quite shallow - this was no problem & very relaxing to float about in it was simply just a feature of the location I was not expecting. Overall 20/10. See you in February Dara!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends