“Good. But nothing special..”

Dara Samui Beach Resort
Ranked #22 of 103 Hotels in Chaweng
Reviewed 11 January 2011

LOCATION/SERVICE - OK

Location is really good - right on the beach and walking distance from Chaweng shops/restoraunts, but far enough to escape from the noise.
Clean rooms, 4* service, nothing wrong with service. I can't say everybody was smiling and was all around you, but you garanteed to get your drinks on time, and room service.

Again about BREAKFAST/FURNITURE - not OK

But they obviously need to make changes in aspects that most off people are complaining about in there reviews: breakfasts and old furniture. Look at pics I publish.

SPA - just dont waste your time and money there.

Does manager know what's happening in there spa???
I'm not sure how spa is being controlled and by whom, but smth not very good is happening there :-(

The first thing - there's a guy, dressed like a girl working there. Or after sex change operation. I don't care about Thai's 3d sex as long as they dont touch me. But unfortunately that was the only person available for me both 2 days for procedures. Ruined my manicure 3 times, bad massage.
Not a pleasant experience.

The main thing - service is terrible.
-there's no relaxing atmospere: they chat to each other constantly, even when one of them is with a client, doing pedicure for example....(my experience - one girl is doing pedicure, another sits next to her and talk and laugh)
-they turn people dawn everyday!!! They tell people "we r fully booked" all the time and than sit for 2 hours doing nothing (!!!) drinking tea. I saw that with my own eyes. They dont want to work and some how get away with it.
-they speak no English or just r pretend not to. I ordered "tai chi massage" and got a traditional thai massage instead of it.

My advice - go to fantastic SPA next door on a right (honestly - the best SPA I've been in Thailand - Rai ra).

CONSTRUCTION WORK - not OK

Under our windows, everyday, loud... and a paint smell. It didnt really bother us as we wake up early and go to the beach anyway. But if u like to sleep late think about it....

We enjoyed staying in a hotel, but I wouldnt recommened anyone to stay there before Dara fixes spa, furniture, breakfasts and till the end of construction works.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 January 2011

The Dara Samui is a great mix of comfort and value for money.

My friend and I wanted somewhere on the beach, at the luxury end without being outrageous and close enough to the bars and restaurants that we didn't need to organise transport. The Dara Samui ticked all these boxes.

Breakfast is served over looking the pool and the beach - an excellent way to start the day. The hotel is also more than happy to organise any day trips to other Islands or to Ang Thong on your behalf. We wanted to rent a car to tour the island - it was ready in 15 minutes.

If you want to spend time on the beach in Samui, you have to stay at a hotel that is beach front (as only guests can use the sun lounges, unlike in Phuket where anyone can rent one). The Dara Samui has an excellent pool/beach bar that caters to all your needs while spending a tough day doing nothing.

Overall, we both really enjoyed our stay and would definitely return for a second visit.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 October 2010

My first trip to Samui was beyond expectations and my stay at Dara Samui played a huge part in this. The hotel is stunning, the rooms and amenities are sparkling clean and comfortable, the breakfast, bar menu and dinner delicious, the level of service exceptional, the location is a very short (2min) walk to the best nightlife on Chaweng but far enough from the pumping music to sleep well - we could not have asked for anything more. One thing (and this is not to do with hotel) but the ocean directly in front is quite shallow - this was no problem & very relaxing to float about in it was simply just a feature of the location I was not expecting. Overall 20/10. See you in February Dara!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank MsLauren
Reviewed 3 September 2010

Having been to the Dara Samui few nights I can say that overall it was a very good experience. Location is good, right on the main chaweng road but far enough from the noisiest part of the town. The first impact with the hotel does not give any wow effect but rooms are very clean and spacious. The breakfast is honestly disappointing...the buffet looks like one i could set up at my home if I forget to go to Supermarket the night before. Staff is not the friendliest i've found in thailand. Some people at the beach bar were great. Front desk ppl were ok even if everybody during my stay has been very helpful here.
Beach: if you want a secluded beach away from the big crowd you should probably head towards silver beach. If partying, music, people an fun is what you want, you can definitely stay at the dara samui that is located on one of the best parts of the chaweng beach.

• Stayed: August 2010
1  Thank trmltrotter
Reviewed 3 September 2010

When I looked in the virtual tour on http://www.darasamui.com/ I was sure that we are going to stay for a week in heaven... the producer of the video deserve Oscar for it but the hotel management are misleading their customers. The hotel is nice and in a great location but nothing more... we were staying there for a full week . It looks like the hotel is manage without management and customers feel it in the day by day service.

The rooms are nice but the humidty in the rooms (we had 2 rooms in ground floor) is very high and as result of it the rooms has a very strong smell of moss which is not nice and not healthy... humidty is so high that hard copy document that I kept in the room become wet after 2 days.

The service is really not good and is very far from any Thai standards, the main problem is that most of the front desk staff doesn't speak english but they will let you think that they do (you find out that they don't after asking some thing for 3-4 time...).
-One day they didn't leave towels in the room and after asking 3 time I had to go and collect it by myself
-The phone ringer in our Sons room didn't ring and we ask for 2 days to fix it again and again but nothing happen so we had to go and bring the engineer, bulb that didn't work was not replace over 7 days although we asked few time
-When we came to the hotel we had to carry our luggage to the lobby, there was no one there to help us

The american breakfast is very basic (very far from what we had in Chiang Mai or Bangkok) and the location in front of the hotel is very bad... you feel like eating in the street and especially with strong smell of sewage that we had for 2 days it was not fun at all..., they do have a great breakfast location in the back by the pool but they are keeping it for the most expensive rooms or charging 300THB (~$10) per person per day just for seating there having same breakfast which is outrages!!!

The bottom line is that this defintely not high class hotel as it seemed on the hotel web and the management need to do some thing about it one way or another.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank GilBiran
Reviewed 13 August 2010

This is the most beautiful resort and you get so much bang for your buck! We got a free upgrade and stayed in a delux suite. However, we saw the rest of the rooms and they were just as beautiful, just less roomy.

The resort is about 15 min drive from the airport, which is great! The beach is accessible from the back of the resort and the resort is perfectly placed on the beach road. You are just far enough form the noise but not to far to join in at any time and stumble home (not that we ever did that).

There are many beautiful resorts on Samui but this one has the most reasonable prices and the staff were unbelievable! The spa was also brilliant, and I know spa's. I'm a massage thereapist. The breakfast is also unbeatable.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KandyKorn143
Reviewed 3 August 2010

Dara Samui is presumably a high class resort but that is very misleading.
This is actually two hotels - one with deluxe rooms and villas which looks nice and the other is a low class hotel with standard rooms.
Standard rooms are noisy, very far from the beach, breakfast is horrible and is served virtually on the street with very bad sewage smell. Air condition was noisy and in our room the sewage smell continued in waves. Service is very hostile and you will not get assistance to your problems. Many guests I met in the hotel would have left the hotel gladly and moved to any one of the resorts nearby. Dara offers two breakfasts - one for standard rooms on the street (see description above) and another breakfast on the pool for the guests who stay in the villas. On the way to the beach/pool you will get to view the 'other guests' in the hotel eating on the pool with beach view. If you every want to feel second class this is the place.
Pool is small and entire recreation area is very tight.
Prices for SPA are outrageous - around 6 times what you pay in any other place.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family