“Very Moving”

US$68.15*
and up
Half-Day Small-Group Tour to American D-Day Beaches from Bayeux
More attraction details
Owner description: Overlooking Omaha Beach, the launching point of the U.S. invasion of Normandy, this cemetery contains the graves of 9,386 American soldiers who died at Normandy and a touching memorial to another 1,557 whose bodies were never recovered.
Percy, France
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Very Moving”
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Words can't express the feelings of all those poor people laying there.

1 Thank TinaandLes

• Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Cincinnati, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Honoring American soldiers who died for a cause greater than themselves.”
Reviewed 9 February 2012

During October my family and I ventured overseas to visit Normandy, France. While on our excursion we visited the well-known Normandy American Cemetery & Memorial. Upon entering the facility the visitors walk through a museum that puts D-Day into perspective. Videos highlight the invasion from the infantry and paratrooper’s point of view, and also many notes, pictures, and other items are on display.

When I exited the museum and walked around the bend of trees I saw the endless sea of 9,386 crosses of the soldiers who perished for the liberation of German occupied France. I couldn't help but feel a sense of peace and pride. The cemetery overlooks Omaha Beach, and when I turned my head I could watch the waves break on Omaha. It's impossible not to picture the thousands of infantry troops who rushed into enemy fire risking their lives for a greater goal.

While looking at the names of those who died, I couldn't help but notice some graves read, "Here rests in honored glory a comrade in arms known but to god." I have always thought it would be a great idea to serve in the armed forces, but these graves in particular put a knot in my stomach and inspired me even more.

The well-kept trees, graves, flowers, and lawn makes you proud to be an American. I recognized voices of people from France, Germany, and England while I was walking through the rows of crosses and graves with the Star of David. All of them showing the utmost respect for those American soldiers buried here.

Some of the graves had a round stone placed on a flat edge, and after I had left I realized the smooth rocks came from Omaha Beach. People who didn’t even know the soldiers were paying their respects by placing a piece of earth where the troops had their last breaths; I thought of this as a great way to show appreciation of those deceased.

On our car ride back to our house I felt “different”. It wasn’t until I came back to the states that I realized the cemetery made me have a different outlook on life. Since my visit I have been very interest in World War II, and the armed forces. My visit to Normandy American Cemetery & Memorial was worthwhile and inspirational; the atmosphere is so moving. It’s a “must see” site if you are visiting Normandy, France.

Visited October 2011
7 Thank Cal F
Wickham, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“A must for anyone visiting the landing beaches.”
Reviewed 9 February 2012

The sheer beauty and peace of the place helps you to remember what it is there for.
You can not help but reflect that every cross or star is for a lost soldier who died that others be free.
Be prepared for a security check when entering the visitor centre.

Visited June 2011
Palm Beach, Florida
105 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 138 helpful votes
“Let Us Not Forget”
Reviewed 27 January 2012

The cemetery is situated above one of the beaches that troops stormed on D-day. It's a reminder of the young soldiers who gave their lives for the Allied cause. Not all who died here are buries here most were returned to the U.S. for burial. You look at the headstones and remember that it over 65 years ago. Many were teenagers or just into their twenties. It's a solemn reminder of the agony of war. This a piece of the United States that France ceded to us as a noble gesture. It is well kept and aligned as all our military cemeteries are. It's a must-see spot so that we don't forget the fallen and the survivors.

Visited July 2011
1 Thank rockhound94
London, United Kingdom
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Very moving and informative”
Reviewed 17 January 2012

A very moving experience. It's easy to not get your head around the numbers of people that died during the war, but looking at endless graves really bring it home. The site is really well looked after and the memorials are impressive. You can walk down from the cemetary down on to Omaha Beach. Again actually seeing the landing site along with some the fortifications is very touching and brings the experience to life.

Visited May 2011