Cimetiere Americain de Colleville-sur-Mer

Book in advance
from
£71.96
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Ways to Experience Cimetiere Americain de Colleville-sur-Mer
from £71.96
from £136.95
from £124.74
from £80.53
5,846 results
All reviews white crosses omaha beach american cemetery rows and rows their lives visitor center buried here grave markers final resting place fallen soldiers beautiful memorial ultimate sacrifice emotional experience united states moving place fitting tribute brave men
Selected filters
Reviewed 20 May 2009

I had a tour from Normandywebguide.com sightseeing tours and it was great!! Our tour guide was Ed ( highly recommend) and he really knew his stuff. He took us to a couple of places where there were no tourists and gave a great account of what was happening on D Day. Highly recommend!!!!!

Reviewed 21 February 2009

The American Cemetery in Normandy is beautifully moving and tranquil. It is a place you must visit but beware that it is an emotional experience. The American Battle Monuments Commission is in charge of maintaining the grounds and they do a superb job of keeping the area immaculate. The museum that you enter before getting to the actual cemetery is jam packed with a wealth of interesting information on D-Day landings. It tries to take you back to the day when all these brave young soldiers landed on French soil to protect the world from tyranny. Truly magnificent. I have visited France many times but this was the first time I made it to Normandy and I recommend it a million times over. Bring flowers if you are moved to. On the way to the cemetery and the D-Day beaches (we only made it to two) you will notice small monuments kept up by some of the local French citizens in memory of the soldiers who helped liberate France. Truly moving.

4  Thank Travellr1978
Reviewed 14 January 2009

Excellent-meet you at the train (we came in from Paris for the day), great tour, non stop learning, great lunch. Our tour guide was fantastic-French, spoke perfect English, knew more about American history than us! Everything we ever wanted. TOur of the museum, lunch, ride in a van with 8 others through beautiful country to Utah and Omaha beaches and the American Cemetery. HIGHLY recommend for ease of tour (hop on the train in Paris and they meet you before you are off of the train!) and completeness of the tour. Trip of a lifetime.

5  Thank Kimberley L
Reviewed 13 October 2008

I would not consider myself a WWII buff at all, but when my husband and I visited the American Cemetery in Normandy last week, I found it to be a moving, beautiful, and inspiring place. The Visitors Center is very well done, with lots of good information about how it all happened (if you're a little fuzzy on the details, like I was) and also lots of personal stories. The cemetery itself is immaculate, with easy trails going down to the beach. We took a cab from the train station in Bayeux because the Bus Verts runs very infrequently in the off-season (check the fine-print on their schedule if you want to try to time it right), but we did take the bus back to town and enjoyed wandering around Bayeux very much. I'm only sorry we didn't stay the night! I was concerned that this wasn't a good day trip to attempt from Paris because the information on transportation and what to see was a little sketchy, but i highly recommend what we did: train to Bayeux, cab to the cemetery, see the beaches from there, bus/cab back into Bayeux, explore the town. You will be so glad you did!

1  Thank louisaharp
Reviewed 2 October 2008

I got to visit the American Cemetary in Normandy on September 18, 2008. I was expecting it to be a sombre experience and it was. It is one thing to see a picture of row upon row of white marble crosses, it's another to actually see. The American Cemetary hammers home the human cost of D-Day. There are 9,238 crosses and 149 Stars of David. Some crosses bear no name as they were unable to identify the remains so the person's identity is known only to God. The cemetary overlooks Omaha Beach where some of those buried in the cemetary undoubtedly died. The tour guide for my tour said the cemetary employed 6 gardeners. They do a fantastic job of keeping this hallowed ground looking beautiful. If you want to see the human cost of D-Day, you should visit this cemetary.