“Enjoyable Sunday lunch with family and friends”
Review of The Refinery

The Refinery
Ranked #1 of 20 Restaurants in Paeroa
Price range: US$7 - US$13
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Dining options: Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 19 November 2017

I've heard many wonderful things about The Refinery in Paeroa and FINALLY went to seek out my own interpretation on Sunday, have to say every positive comment I've ever heard was absolutely true! From the friendly staff to the relaxed atmosphere and eclectic style. I felt at home from walking in the door to the time we left, in fact we were so relaxed we were reluctant to leave and continue our journey. My niece and her friend enjoyed putting the finishing touches to their bagels themselves, as typically fussy teenagers, being able to actually create their own taste with all the ingredients provided was refreshing. The Pork Belly with crackling crackle, chilli and homemade apple sauce was perfectly tasty and filling with my cup of tea strong and hot. My friend smugly said 'I told you so' when discussing the laid back lunch we were enjoying, hence we will be back!

Nicola P, Owner at The Refinery, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2017

Thanks for your lovely review! So glad you enjoyed it. I was eyeing up that pork sandwich myself-hoping there would be one leftover for my lunch! We were very busy on Sunday which always creates a nice buzz. So glad you and your family had a nice relaxing time. Nicky

Reviewed 18 November 2017

Stopped here for lunch - I recommend their terrific passionfruit cheesecake. The coffee was good too. Lovely outdoor seating area.

Thanks so much for that-yes that cheesecake is very popular! We do all the baking here so it's always heartening to get good feedback.
Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 7 November 2017 via mobile

We are two retired couples cycling the Hauraki Rail Trail from Miranda to Te Aroha and were lucky enough to be booked into The Refinery for a nights accommodation. We were greeted with coffees and a chat on arrival despite the coffee shop being closed on Tuesdays. Our cottages were very cosy and extremely comfortable with everything we needed. Breakfast was delicious and we were made welcome to sit out the wet windy weather until it had passed over so we could continue on our ride. The building and history were very interesting and it had a great atmosphere with records (yes vinyl records) playing as background music. The selection of records was impressive, as was the alphabetical ordering, and the casual DJ was appreciated as he wandered in and out - sometimes other customers changed the music too. A great find!!

Thanks so much for your kind words. It was pleasure to have you! i hope you enjoyed the rest of your journey.

Reviewed 31 October 2017

The building was originally the National Bank Gold Refinery (1914-21). Now housing this cafe as a quirky throwback to somewhere between the 1950-70s style old furniture. Nice touch with a record player playing old LPs. Some of the food is standard cafe fare, some slightly different, but as a whole neither the food or the coffees stood out. I'd give them a rating of 3.5, if I could.

1  Thank seadragon99

Thanks for your review. 3.5 ain't bad but we would rather have a 5! Anything specific you could pinpoint?

Reviewed 5 October 2017 via mobile

Second visit here, I adore the old rustic courtyard full of cottage plants contrasting with the industrial retro 70s interior . Lots of character and quirky touches everywhere, obviously a venue which has been created with love and passion. Food is modern and good, on recommendation I had the Lemon and Blueberry Scone and they didn't disappoint. Our coffees were also spot on. When driving through Paeroa take the time to divert off the main road and explore this curious cafe with its treasure trove of vintage furniture and collectables :)

Thanks so much for those kind words! You are right-it is a labour of love for sure!
Hope to see you again soon. Nicky