“My business and pleasure trip to Abaco”

Abaco Beach Resort and Boat Harbour Marina
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Marsh Harbour
Orlando, FL
“My business and pleasure trip to Abaco”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My husband and I just returned from staying at the Abaco Beach Resort & Boat Harbour Marina. We were there from June 19 - 23, 2014. I was there to see what the hotel offered and enjoy the sites of The Abacos. What an incredible experience. The staff was very welcoming and knew our names after the first time we met them. The resort has many different room types to fit all needs, yet is a boutique hotel in that this is a smaller property with 89 rooms. I was impressed with the variety of plants and trees, which was in typical tropical island paradise style. The marina was an added bonus to see the beautiful boats and speak with the crew coming in from a long day of fishing. The rooms are spacious and homey with renovations going on to make them even nicer. In addition to the hotel rooms, they have what is called The Residences. This is a group of condo like homes, which can be purchased and then rented out to others coming for business or vacation. These homes are beautifully decorated and offer you a perfect respite after a nice relaxing, fun filled day. The food was amazing and I let the diet go, which was well worth it. I had heard previously their costs were high, but I do not find that to be a truth. I thought the presentation and quality on their plates was moderately priced considering the love and taste I experienced. The view from our room was stunning and all rooms look out onto the ocean, so you don't have to worry about looking onto a parking lot or a garden. Most resorts I have been to throughout the Caribbean or anywhere for that matter have premium views at a premium cost, but this isn't the case at this spectacular property. Shopping was a short walk outside of the property for those who are looking for that special island souvenier to bring home for themselves and others, but they do have a gift shop on property if you don't have a wandering spirit. We were able to take two days on a boat to visit other nearby islands and see what they offered as well. The ocean conditions were mild since they are surrounded by an extensive reef system. I was able to do some snorkeling on a private beach and while boating we even had two of our guides dive for some fresh conch for us. They prepared homemade conch salad for us right on the boat. One thing I was thrilled about was being able to take my conch shell home and once thoroughly cleaned will be a centerpiece in my collection. One of the nights we were treated to a bon fire right on the beach which was definitely a highlight. I also found a few coconuts and asked about cracking them for drink mixtures. The staff was kind enough to let me know just how to find the best ones. I had ones that wouldn't have been very tasty, so they went on a hunt for a few and came back and prepared them for us right at our table! The local establishments had a great mixture of locals and tourists like me all enjoying great drinks and food. The property doesn't have a spa, per say, but they can arrange to have amenities brought in for a massage at the beach or in your room. They also offer many of the other spa treatments to be brought in. The sites, sounds and tastes made for memories of a lifetime. I highly recommend this property and look forward to going back when I have the time. Whether you need a place for a meeting, a couples retreat or family reunion, they can offer it all!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Fallbrook, California
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed overnight before renting a boat for use at a house rental on a nearby cay. The rooms were nice with ocean front with a large grass area buffering the beach. The beach is a place to cool off with a quick swim, but as in most places in this area, it is has a lot of sea grass and is very hot on the sand. The food in the adjacent resturant is fabulous for sea food lovers. Unusual dishes, such as hogfish, is prepared perfectly and wharf side dining fit us well. The resort has very friendly and helpful staff that improved our stay. They even carted our copious luggage and helped load it on the boat. The beach bar fellow is very funny and went out of his way to accomodate us and the three young children in our group.

Room Tip: shorter walks to the resturant, pool, and office on the left side.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Having heard mixed reviews of the hotel rooms at the resort I was pleasantly surprised on our visit to Abaco Beach Resort! We stayed in a two bedroom villa which was very nicely decorated and furnished. Housekeeping was more than attentive with making the beds, tidying up, and turn down service. The restaurant has good food and the prices are reasonable considering the prices in the Bahamas. I was also pleasantly surprised with the great service we received from the beach attendant Alex who promptly brought drinks always with a smile on his face.
The pool bar is always a fun place to mingle and had a few extra nice bartenders this time ( Lisa and a guy whose name was Tomiko ?). Unfortunately there were a few that had a surly attitude.
Overall we had an excellent stay. In general my advice for anyone visiting marsh harbor is do not miss out on a day trip to Hope Town!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alexinstuart
Brent I, Director of Sales at Abaco Beach Resort and Boat Harbour Marina, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Alexin, thanks for sharing your recent experiences during stay at the Abaco Beach Resort and Boat Harbour Marina. Further, we are happy to learn that as a result of your stay, you not only enjoyed your stay but overall we exceeded your expectations. Thank you! ABR commitment remains the delivery of a quality vacation experience and in those areas where we would have fallen short, we will assess those shortcomings and implement corrective action. I trust we would have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort on your next vacation and that you would continue to share your positive experience with your close friends, family and business associates.
Brent.
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Having done just that......we tagged four extra nights onto a bare-boat charter with the Moorings and just wanted a clean bed, some sun and somewhere to chill! But Abacos Beach Resort was sooooo much more than that, our room was large, airy and perfectly clean and though not especially 'swish' it certainly wasn't tired. We spent a lot of time at the pool bar and had fabulous cocktails every night but the best thing about the resort had to be be the food at Anglers which took us totally by surprise as it was so good! Would also like to make a special mention about Levy who served us on the two nights that we were there and made sure that we had a great time. We have stayed in plenty of places in the Caribbean and would definitely stay here again!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Brent I, Director of Sales at Abaco Beach Resort and Boat Harbour Marina, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Sandra, thank for sharing so many positive aspects of your stay with us. We are also happy that you enjoyed your dinner at Anglers and had the pleasure of being served by Levy, a positive addition to our F&B team. We look forward to having you as our guest on your next trip to Abaco:)
Stowe, Vermont
Reviewed 17 May 2014

My wife and I had to spend the night in Marsh Harbour to make a 7 am flight after a wonderful week in Hope Town. We were disappointed in the options in Marsh Harbour. For what we paid for the night, this place should have been gorgeous, unfortunately we had a shower/ tub that wouldn't drain, an A/C that rattled like an old Harley and overall a "weird vibe" experience here. The resort looks like it might have been nice 15+ yrs.ago but appears to have had no upkeep since. It had a strange "ghost town" feel to it. Next time I'll stay in Hope Town and pay to charter a private boat to get me to the airport early.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Mark, Our management team is very sorry to hear that your stay at the Abaco Beach Resort did not fully meet your expectations. We have taken note of each of your concerns and will immediately address those shortcomings. It is our hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort and that you would be able to see and experience a more positive stay.
Houston
Reviewed 3 April 2014

just read the "real" reviews below. Good help must be impossible to find in Marsh Harbour. If your boat runs out of gas, you can get food (eventually) and a warm bed, but that's about all this place is good for.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else?
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank jo B
Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed 18 March 2014

The Abaco Beach Resort and Boat Harbour Marina is not Atlantis (which is not the Bahamas anyway, in my opinion), but it is the quality we enjoy in the U.S. without losing the Bahamas feel. I've been coming here for years and have stayed in the villas, the rooms and on a boat in their nearly 200 slip marina. The swim-up bar and easy beach access are a couple of my favorite amenities. You should definitely rent a boat, though, and explore the other nearby islands of the Abacos!

Room Tip: You definitely want an ocean side view room!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Hope Town Harbour Lodge
Hope Town Harbour Lodge
#1 of 1 in Hope Town
Bluff House Beach Resort & Marina
Bluff House Beach Resort & Marin...
#2 of 2 in Green Turtle Cay
Oceanfrontier Hideaway
Oceanfrontier Hideaway
#2 of 5 in Great Guana Cay
Love At First Sight Hotel
Treasure Cay Beach, Marina & Golf Resort

Been to Abaco Beach Resort and Boat Harbour Marina? Share your experiences!