Hope Town Inn & Marina(Hope Town)(Great Value!)
US$296
US$259
Priceline
US$143
Priceline
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
Abaco Beach Resort and Boat Harbour Marina(Marsh Harbour)(Great Value!)
US$449
US$398
Bahama Beach Club(Treasure Cay)
US$511
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
US$254
US$218
US$247
All reviewsocean frontharbour lodgereef barelbow caydining roombeautiful beachevery morningshops and restaurantsferry dockfood was greatgolf cartthe general managermain buildingfew stepsbeach sideoceanfront cottagefamily and friends
Reviewed 24 September 2009

My husband and I arrived to Hope Town Harbour Lodge (HTHL) on Saturday, Sept 9 around 2:30 pm following a two flights, a taxi and ferry ride. We had the ferry call ahead so that someone was waiting for us to pick up our luggage and take them to our room. We arrived right on the ferry dock near HTHL, once you arrive you walk across the street, walk up the stairs and go directly into the hotel lobby. The lobby is small, cool and very clean. We were greeted, paid up front our room bill and went directly to our room.

We stayed in the Passion Fruit Cottage right in front of the ocean. The room is much larger than a hotel room; there is a small kitchenette with microwave, toaster and refrigerator. The room has a king size bed, large dresser, table w/ 2 chairs and there is a very nice adjoining bathroom and large shower. I give the room top marks, there was no phone or TV which forced us to get out and enjoy the beach.

We arrived on the Lobster Fest which was also Labor Day weekend. There were American's everywhere and RICH ones at that. I was not happy about the self aggrandizement some people needed, pointing out that they came on their "private plane" and their "yacht" was in the harbor. I wanted to let them know they could just get right back on their boat I wasn't impressed. Following the Labor Day rush there were common people like me and my husband ready to unwind and relax.

Hotel staff was top notch. Tom is a first class General Manager, he makes his job look easy and I was surprised he had been with HTHL for 10 years. His mannerisms and joy in his job made it look like he was still in the honeymoon phase and was just hired on. He is a happy individual and it is nice to stay where the employees are happy.

Because we were there on such a slow time of year breakfast was bare bone, if you wanted a bagel and cream cheese, toast or dry cereal they could accommodate but hot breakfasts were not being served after Labor Day. Lunches were served daily and every weekend there was a celebration that included a live band with some kind of meal special. The first Saturday was the Lobster Feast and the second Saturday when we came to visit for the Concerned Citizens Run was the Fish Feast. Both events were fun, music was great and so was the food. Dinner is held in the main dining room which has a really nice bar and where many sailors visit and American locals. Food is expensive on any Out Island plan to spend up to $250 a day on food and beverages. If you are a heavy drinker you may want to purchase your alcohol down at Vernon’s grocery store. If you have a small budget there is little restaurant down the street near Vernon’s where you can purchase lunch and dinner. I can’t remember the name but it is on the right side of the sidewalk near Vernon’s the food is good and more affordable.

Beach is on the Atlantic side so the current is pretty strong, if I was a decent swimmer I would have gone in and there were many who did, I was just too scared of getting swept away. The sand is beautiful, soft and white and the water is blue, blue, blue…

Bar was great, it is where I hung out all day, not necessarily drinking all day but did talk with the bar tenders who were fun to talk with and the drinks went down way too easy. I would recommend renting a golf cart. Take the cart to Tahiti Beach, once you go past Sea Spray Resort there is a sign that reads “Private Road”. The road is NOT private and you can take it all the way to Tahiti Beach. It is beautiful and you can walk out quarter mile and still be walking in the sand during low tide. Bring some water, pack a lunch and go for the day. There is no shade so bring your sun block.

Also remember to bring several cans of bug spray, there are mosquitoes on the island and as long as you keep spraying yourself you will not get bit. Also be careful not to leave open food in the rooms, there are small ants and there is nothing you can do about them other then not to entice them to come eat your food.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MissKimandMrE
Reviewed 7 July 2009

For a first trip to the Abacos, Hopetown Harbour Lodge was perfect. Several of the smaller cays are accessible from Elbow Cay by boat (Guana Cay, Fowl Cay, Lubbers Landing, Tilloo Cay, Man-O-War Cay, parts of Great Abaco), and the lodge offers (easy) dock access. The hotel is walking distance to the shops and restaurants of Hopetown, and has both a beautiful beach (good snorkeling and swimming) and a nice pool with a great bar. The restaurants outside of Hopetown will pick you up if you arrange in advance. The lodge itself is very nice - rooms are well appointed in tropical style, with pretty decks and views. We stayed in an Ocean View Cabin (Guava) and found it to be a nice size, with good privacy. We really liked the small kitchenette (toaster, sink, microwave, small fridge - good for storing snacks, bread and jam for breakfast, beer). I would prefer not to stay in the rooms/cabanas near the pool (little privacy), but I thought the third floor of the main lodge would be beautiful and private. Staff were friendly and accommodating. On a negative side, I did not feel that the room was always as clean as I would have liked - e.g., shower and sinks were not cleaned daily. I asked at the front desk, and this was corrected the next day, so if you are sensitive in this regard, you might request daily bathroom cleaning at the outset. In addition, we did not care for the restaurant (for dinner) - we felt it was very expensive and the food was mediocre. It was a Sunday, so perhaps it was an off night. The food by the pool for lunch looked good, though we didn't try it, as we generally we preferred the other Elbow Cay restaurants (Cap'n Jacks and Harbour's Edge), or restaurants we accessed by boat (Cracker P's, Pete's Pub, Abaco Inn). We really enjoyed getting to know some of the staff and locals at these places. Overall, Hopetown Harbour Lodge is a beautiful and relaxing place, perfect for exploring Elbow Cay and the Abacos (both of which we loved!!), and we will definitely be returning in the future.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EmmaSanDiego
Reviewed 28 February 2009

My wife and I decided we needed to take a "real" vacation (not business, not with family, etc.) for the first time since our honeymoon - especially since we were expecting our first child in six months. Neither of us had ever been to the Bahamas, and honestly, my view of it was shaped by cruise ships, casinos, all-inclusives, and Atlantis - not really our style. Thankfully, a day or two on the forums at Tripadvisor steered us towards a week at the Hope Town Harbor Lodge on Elbow Cay. It was magnificent! We stayed in the "Passion Fruit" cottage, right on the beach. No TV, no telephone, cell phones didn't work - it was awesome! Nothing to distract you from the beautiful sunrises over the Atlantic. Breakfast poolside was very good, and unbelievably convenient. The beach was amazing and there is a large coral reef about 30 yards out. The one night we ate at the Lodge's restaurant, it was very nice, probably the most refined place we ate at during the trip. All of the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful (many are Haitian, so a word or two of French and they'll remember you the whole time). The only problem we had was that the ceiling fan in our room didn't work (would have been a real problem in summer I'm sure). Highly recommend for

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2008

Hope Town Harbour Lodge was one of the best places my wife and I have ever had the pleasure of staying. We stayed for 7 days in the Mango cottage on the beach. Opening up our doors in the morning and watching the sunrise and listening to the breakers on the beach that was about 100 feet away from our front door was amazing. The staff there is incredible and go out of their way to ensure that you feel welcome. Tom, the manager, is exceptionally outgoing and immediately makes you feel like family. I can't say enough about our stay. We enjoyed every second.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank lunarluau
Reviewed 28 April 2008

We just returned from the best vacation of all time! My best friends is planning her wedding so we hit the islands for a quick final scope out. And now I also know where when I get married I plan on getting married here!

At first, when I was told where we were staying and she was having her reception... I was a little unsure. The name "lodge" evoked feelings of a dark outdated elk lodge that smelled like old men! And I can report it was anything but!

Her wedding will be prefect! The hotel has several incredible places to hold the reception and just down the road within walking distance is the perfect island church, overlooking the ocean. She is planning to have the reception by the pool and the view and atmosphere is perfect.

Tom had all the answers to everything and was so wonderful to us. He goes out of his way making your special day truly incredible.

After reading other reviews I had questions, but Tom exceeded any questions. I would recommended it without question. They make you feel at home the minute you enter their establishment. During the entire stay the staff refers to each guest on a first name basis which makes you feel right at home.

The food at Hope Town Harbour Lodge is amazing, both lunch and dinner were spectacular! They will even pack you a picnic basket if you would like to go on an excursion.

We stayed in the Oceanfront Cabanas which overlooked the breathtaking ocean. The balcony is equipped with comfortable lounge chairs to relax on while taking in the views or a serene sunset. The linens and bed define pure comfort.

Typically, we look for a house to rent however, we are glad we chose The Lodge. The two minute golf cart ride to the Tahiti beach allows you to discover both the beauty and friendliness of the island. They provide beach chairs, umbrellas and bottled water on their own section of the beach. Also take advantage of the beach side bar, an excellent choice for lunch or a local cocktail.

All in all, Tom ensured that our every need was met from the moment we arrived to the minute we left. We were sad to leave this special place, and already are planning our next visit

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank blandkid