“A Truly Wonderful Meal & Experience”
Review of la cancela

la cancela
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Toronto, Canada
“A Truly Wonderful Meal & Experience”
Reviewed 25 October 2013

If you want a night out on the Camino, make it here, and make sure you try the mescuit of duck (pate made from duck liver braised in armagnac). The host is charming, and very knowledgeable about local foods and wines, especially the local riojas. His more retiring son is at least as knowledgeable and is responsible for the cooking along with his mother. Lovely people, lovely food in this gem of a spot.

Midland, Texas, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“We ate here 3 times in just 2 days...”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

My wife and I stayed in Rioja for 2 full days traveling the country side. We decided to eat at La Cancela by recommendation from our hotel. Let me say that the food is fantastic! It is by far the best restaurant that we found in the area and worth a visit by anyone who is in the area. Their menu is extensive and full of home style Spanish cuisine with a twist of elegance. I had a different main course for all three meals and they just seemed to get tastier. The owner and his wife run this fine local establishment and it should be at the top of any travelers list when visiting Rioja. I wish I could make a recommendation for the menu but honestly everything they served was spectacular.

1 Thank Christopher V
BC, Canada
“Go here!! Do not question it.”
Reviewed 27 September 2013

OMG, after days of peregrino food on the Camino, we finally found a place in Spain that cares about what it creates. From the whit asparagus and mushroom sauce, and poached pear salad starters to the cod w/red pepper sauce and pork medallions w/delicate herbed rice entrees, to the liqueur soaked caked dessert, this was fabulous. We showed up right at opening at 8, dressed in one of our 2 sets of clothing, since we are hiking over 800km, and all was good.
Spain, you have been redeemed! The host was wonderful and it showed in the food. Try this one!!

Richmond, Virginia
“Eat before you go!”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

It was a special night so we chose a special restaurant. We were the first guests and were greeted by the owner, a charming fellow and we established an early rapport. With his help we ordered an outstanding wine. Shortly after ordering our meals, he brought a dish with four thin, tablespoon-sized ovals. We each ate two and raved about the taste. Next came my wife's salad, which we shared. Finishing that, our main courses arrived. I then realized that I had not gotten my appetizer. With the main course in front of me I thought it was then too late to ask for the missing dish. I figured I would have it taken off the bill. We ate our rather sparse meals: my wife's, five tiny 0.5 cm.-thick lamb cutlets, and for me a dish of Pollo al Estilo la Cancela. Finding nothing that excited us, we skipped the dessert and asked for the check. As I feared, the Miscuit de Pato Fresco was on the bill. When I mentioned we had not received it, the waiter insisted I had. Long story short, what we had mistaken for an Amuse Gueule was actually my appetizer!
I must say that we were very pleased with every course and each beverage. The service was excellent. Our only complaint was the portion size. One should not feel hungry after a 90 Euro meal !!

• Visited August 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great ambiance and excellent food”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We had dinner here while on holiday in the North of Spain in mid July. It was for us a memorable experience with excellent food and great ambiance. We were served by the owner who was helpful and friendly without being intrusive. We would all four of us recommend this restaurant for a good night out.

• Visited July 2013