“Best hotel in Sidari”
Review of Zafiris Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sidari
Zafiris Hotel
Ranked #17 of 39 Hotels in Sidari
Reviewed 11 July 2013

We booked an all-inclusive holiday and decided to stay at the Zafiris. It was our first ever all-inclusive and we'd heard some negative comments regarding all-inclusive holidays, however, we were not to be disappointed. The food on offer was tremendous - about 12 to 15 trays of differing foodstuffs which varied between meals and daily. I'm a fussy eater so thought I wouldn't like the stuff but there's plenty for everyone - chips, pizzas, bread, soup, vegetable au gratin, chicken, beef, a barbecue one day etc. The puddings were fab and don't let people tell you that ice cream is just for kids! It's delicious!

All the hotel staff were great. The Thomson welcome talk was a little boring and overran and there's only one member of staff there taking bookings...it took forever for him to come round to us. I challenged him on his prices as they're really steep when 2 minutes walk down the road is a tourist shop selling tickets such as a BBQ boat ride for 24 euros (Thomson charge 49) and a coach trip to Aqualand (and entry to Aqualand) for 22 euros (Thomson were charging 25 just to get in!). He was honest and said they can't really compete with local prices, so avoid the Thomson tours.

You'll see the hotel staff a lot throughout the day, putting on activities in the fabulous swimming pool and outside, such as archery or darts, with a prize of a cocktail for the winner of the darts. The entertainment at night in the Saxophone Bar was generally of good quality - a different thing every night (although a game of bingo for cash prizes at 930pm every night was welcomed!).

Zafiris is in a great location, next to the beach and shops but you'll want to spend all day lounging by the pool and getting free food in the actual hotel.

The only negative was the ant problem in the hotel room. They are aware of an ant and mosquito problem (and indeed the whole of Sidari seems to be full of mosquitos and ants!) so this isn't really too much of a negative with the hotel.

There is a spa (my girlfriend had her nails done) and there is a kids club for the younger ones (although we don't have kids)

We had a wonderful time and it was the best holiday yet! We're so glad we went all-inclusive and we're so glad we picked Zafiris!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kirk B
ZafirisHotel, Owner at Zafiris Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2013

We would like to thank the author for the time in writing this review. It is rewarding to read that as customers of the hotel you had an enjoyable holiday and took the time to record so many positives.

We would say a big thank you and hope that one day you return to us.

Wishing you all the best for the future

There are newer reviews for Zafiris Hotel

Reviewed 11 July 2013

I do not write reviews normally but I felt compelled to because I chose this particular hotel from the reviews on tripadvisor prior to booking. We stayed in room 506, it is roomy, spotless and comfortable. Within a couple of days we had a leak on the toilet (clean water I must add), reported in to reception, it was sorted! There was one day we had no hot water in the shower and one day we had none for a little while, did we complain no we didn't it was 36 degrees out there and a cool shower actually helped my burned, blistering skin (oops) come on folks these things happen!!!!!

I still cannot believe people are complaining about the quality of the food, I thought it was tasty, a good variation and most of all hot. I have been to many an all inclusive restaurant with a few more stars than this one and had a damn site worse food. My husband and I ate out a couple of times, not because we didn't like it but because we wanted too, The coffee/tea was served in little cups but you could get mugs full from 10 am at the pool bar and nobody had any objection to guests filling their water bottles from the water machine.

The staff, well they are something else - absolutely wonderful, from the kitchen staff to the management they work so hard and are so dedicated, polite and helpful. I cannot believe people called the owner rude, he was so polite when I was chatting to him, I was telling him about my previously leaky bathroom and how it was sorted very quickly he is nice and very helpful.

One thing I do agree about is the pool bar closing times and the drinks but all inclusive anywhere in the world only use locally produced products so there is nothing new there and most of them only allow two drinks at a time. I think the pool bar should be open till 8 and the saxaphone bar open when this closes but I do appreciate that they do not have unlimited staff at their disposal and in this current economic climate it is a struggle.

The entertainment staff are brilliant, they make sure everyone is involved in the activities if they want to, not a jot of pressure if you don't, all four of them have great personalities and have a knack of making everyone feel like the most important person in that resort. The views are phenomenal from the cliffs at the back of the resort, nice places to sit and relax, the pool is lovely and there are oodles of nice sunloungers around so you don't have to get up at stupid o'clock to reserve. There is a small path at the back of the pool bar that leads to the beach, it isn't very wide but to be fair all around that beach is the same, it is not a vast roaming beach space, it is lovely little coves that you have to go down steps too, you just have to be very careful.

Finally, we all have different opinions of what makes a perfect holiday, in my opinion I had a fantastic holiday here, yes there was a few things that weren't perfect about the resort but none that would have made a huge difference to our holiday, we met lovely people, we ate, drank, had fun, laughed so much and chilled out, even had a go at the archery for the first time in my life and managed not to kill anyone. Would I go back?? too right I would..........

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks for this transparent account of your holiday.
It makes for a clear "read" for future customers.

There is always more that we can do and budgets permitting this is something we will look at in the future.

So pleased that you had a great holiday.

It was a real pleasure to meet you and we hope to see you again.

All the best

Reviewed 7 July 2013

We chose to go to this hotel as it was all inclusive, had a kids club and had excellent reviews on Trip Advisor. We were not disappointed. We stayed for 1 week between 31/05/13 to 07/06/13. From the airport we had a fabulous drive through Corfu and saw the beautiful areas, but some of the hotels were no where near as lovely as Zafiris and the staff cannot do enough to help you, they are superb.

Our daughter is only 6 years of age and had never been abroad before this holiday, she loved it so much and the staff, who were so friendly made it great. Angela and Aliki are just so warm and friendly and work very hard for the hotel, very well done, our daughter adored you both.

The food has been criticised greatly by other recent guests which surprises me as the food area is stacked full of lots of choices, traditional Greek food as well as easy options for the children whose palate is a little blander in choice. We enjoyed the food very much and the restaurant manager, was very proud of his restaurant and kept a close eye on things to ensure everything was perfect for the guests.

The only criticism would be that the lounger cushions were left out overnight or during rain showers and therefore were soaking wet. There is not a lot more to criticise to be honest.

We had a beautifully appointed room with 2 bedrooms, one double and a twin room. We had a full size fridge which was great. Our cleaner was very nice and the rooms were extremely clean and the bathroom (yes, a bath and shower) was very clean indeed.

The entertainment staff were fabulous and very engaging. They wanted the holidaymakers to have great fun, which they did. They put on yoga, aqua-aerobics, water polo for the men, archery and lots more entertainment in the evening at the Saxophone Bar. Our daughter had so much fun here and had never stayed up so late! She loved the soft play area which is sufficiently out of the way if you do not have children.

The reception staff were friendly and Martin was very helpful, polite and engaging.

The pools were very clean. There is a childrens play area away from the pool. The monkey bars are a bit high off the ground for the children but they should be supervised by an adult up there.

There is also a lovely seating area away from the pool, overlooking the Canal D'amour. This had big sofas and was lovely.

Our favourite place, outside of the hotel, was heading towards the main area of Sidari, a small restaurant/snack bar called Jenni's, they do the most fantastic milk shakes which are gorgeous. We also loved the trip to old Peroulades where there is a beautiful view out to the other islands and a beautiful restaurant/bar area called 7th Heaven, it truly was and had swings and hammocks.

We loved it at Zafiris, well worth booking, you won't be sorry.

4  Thank Canick_126
ZafirisHotel, Owner at Zafiris Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2013

We would like to thank the author for their kind endorsement of our services.
We are of course pleased to see that as customers you had such a great holiday especially your daughter.

We very much hope that one day you return and come back to the Zafiris.

Again our thanks for your custom and thank you for choosing us for your holiday!

The Zafiris Team

Reviewed 6 July 2013

We didn't actually stay here for the duration of our holiday. We were up the road in Self Catering, but met some lovely people staying here, and ended up buying 4 days All Inclusive for an excellent price, it saved us a fortune as to eat out/drink each day runs quite expensive now, not just in Greece, but all over Europe.

We staggered our days, and thoroughly enjoyed our time there. Please remember this is a 2 star All Inclusive. For its rating, it exceeded our expectations. The food was great, something for everyone. The entertainment was a laugh, and they have a fab team there this year. Pool big and clean and a great sized pool for kids. The only suggestion I would make, and its not a negative, is more umberellas or shading near the kids pool. When my youngest got too hot we had to sit in the bar area to cool off. There are around 2 dozen sunbeds in this area, non with a brolly. Theres shade up and behind the bar, but as I had an older child, its not wise to move away from the pool when they are in it. You need shade in this area if you have a young one, as when she was tired I wasn't able to let her sleep on the sunbed as it was too hot.

The bar at night was great for the little ones, with an indoor soft play area, which was a god send for us as theres no facilities really for young children in Sidari. So glad we found this place as we would have struggled to keep my youngest entertained at night. All the bars in the town are really geared for teenagers, or people without kids, and the entertainment in them was not suitable for kids, and often not starting until 10.30pm, which is far too late.

I doubt I would return to Sidari, but if I did, I would look at the availability here. The staff were polite and friendly (much more approachable than where we were actually staying) and both my kids loved it here....

1  Thank ally092
ZafirisHotel, Owner at Zafiris Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2013

Our thanks for your account of our service.

It is rewarding to see that you enjoyed your time in the hotel.
We very much hope to see you return one day.

Best regards

Reviewed 6 July 2013

Yes ladies and gents you are reading correctly, I lost weight weight on holiday.

This is a bonus for the figure but not what usually happens to me on holiday, I like to eat and drink like the next man.

So where do I start, hands up if you like steamed pizza, anybody? No, I didn't think so.
Well get used to it because all the hot food is kept warm by a Bain-marie style system. This food then has a plastic lid over it which accumulates lots of water, so when you remove the lid lots of water falls on the food. All the food is soggy and warm..... ummm nice.
Yes Martin ( hotel manager ) you are going to say this is normal in hotels etc etc, but not for every dish it is not.

The drinks in the dining room.
No bottled water, all comes out of a dispenser pump. Coke is cola, either way too fizzy or flat and warm, thimble glasses, couple of mouthfuls, watch out for the eagle eyed restaurant manager. Orange juice was ok and apple juice was ok. No sparkling water.

Now for the biggy, TEA. Us brits like a nice cup or mug of tea in the morning, we can't function without our brew.
If there is one thing a hotel should get right when catering for the english is the cup of tea.
Well I didn't drink their tea, tiny cups, unknown tea, and scummy frothy water. The milk is, I think UHT semi skimmed. Coffee is out of a vending machine.

The lunches consisted of small salad selection and the usual steamed guess what it is today food. There was nice bread, butter. The desserts were a blob of jelly or a scoop of ice cream or
a small cake, have them all if you want, same most days.

Breakfasts were ok, egg, bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, cereals, bread, Their sausages were cut in half and deep fried, yuck.
All meals were served on small plates.

If you sit at the far end of the restaurant you can see the hotel next door and people sunbathing when eating you breakfast. Also because it gets warm in the restaurant they have a massive fan on the wall blowing out air at quite a force and loud.

The restaurant is more like a canteen.

We ate out in the evening most nights. There are some nice tavernas at the bottom of the hill in the village. We found a nice taverna, its a bit of a walk but worth it. Walk down the hill of the hotel, turn right and walk for about 30 mins, you will walk past a couple of restaurants on the way. The restaurant you are looking for is called Bikolis taverna. You walking out of the hotel for 30 mins and get away from the hustle and bustle and have a nice chilled out greek meal.

Poolside snacks are cheese and ham toasties. Frappes are 1 euro, milkshakes are 2.50 euro.
2 drinks at a time, beer is served in tiny plastic cups if taken away, a glass if you sit at the bar.
Would of been nice to watch a sunset with a drink but the poolside bar is shut at 18.30.

I can't find on the First choice website a description of the hill you have to walk up and down if you want to go to the shops in the village. The hotel is on a hill.
The beach it says is 50m away but it is down some steep inclines.

Corfu seems a lovely place and nice people but the Zafiris is not good enough to return.
The food needs sorting out and the rooms are tired and dated.
Zafiris apartments has had its day, it needs some investment, they are going to start getting more lower rating scores I envisage.

The animation team were great. Demetri on the bar is a nice guy.

I think this is an honest review. When you stay at the Zafiris just remember my review and the things I said, oh just like on that tripadvisor review.

Just remember people if you have a problem report it, speak to the manager, speak to the rep, the english don't complain enough.

You worked hard for your holiday, you want value for your money.

Have a happy holiday.

Room Tip: Take some money to eat out in the evening a few times.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Noisy081

As always we thank the author for their feedback.

It is unfortunate that the writer did not perhaps highlight some of these concerns at the time of their holiday rather than wait to return to the UK.

It is beyond the remit of the hotel to respond to every point through Trip Advisor.
The hotel has now received the customer service score from First Choice from all passengers completing questionnaires on the returning aircraft. These scores are also used to calculate the
First Choice star rating shown on the webpage.

We are comfortable with our scores which indicate that the hotel compares well against 3 4 and 5 star hotels.

We continue to review what we do and how we do it which is reflected in the number of customers who return to the hotel every year.

We very much hope the customers next holiday meets, their personal expectations more closely.

With best regards

Reviewed 5 July 2013

Just got back today from ROOM 302,will never go back unless vast improvements made. Very out dated inside. Shower sometimes hot,cold shower most days. One day we got back at night,room flooded ! Our phones are in safe of which we cant get to as reception closed at 2100hrs.No phones on sight,why not ? Got hold of someone after running around like flys. Water was turned off.Next day cook/plumber in spare time came to room after 10am to fix pipe. I went back to room at about 1230hrs pipes on floor with dirty towels on floor. Very poor. I have a young daughter with us she got of got hurt. I told owner about this,he said cleaner cleans up after workers,why ? Get plumber to clean his own mess,not hard work. What can I say about the owner ? He is a arrogant person,no respect for paying guests. Apart from the owner all the other staff are GREAT,manager.reception staff ect,keep up the good work. The hotel is in a beautiful place,just rooms lets it down. GET THE ROOMS UP TO DATE. At end of all this we still had a good time.

Room Tip: Do not use ROOM 302,or in that block
4  Thank Alan063
ZafirisHotel, Owner at Zafiris Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2013

We would like to say thank you the author for their views. We note that despite this isolated event the guests had a good holiday and we appreciate the praise given to the staff.

The pipe under the sink burst at just before 01.00. The water was shut off and the room cleaned for the guests within 7 minutes. (This is confirmed by the time logs shown on staff phones) Both the owner of the hotel and one member of the entertainment team were on hand to resolve the issue with minimal delay.

The following morning the customer appeared dissatisfied that a member of staff from entertainment and the owner was trying to help the guests.

It was clarified to the customers that these were the people that were on hand to help the guest at 01.00 in the morning.

The normal working positions of the staff is not relevant only that the immediate issue was resolved quickly for the customer which is always our intention.

The owner understandably was upset that the motives of the staff, as well why certain staff were undertaking certain tasks and himself was being questioned when the only intention was to help the guests resolve the problem with the flooded bathroom in the early hours of the morning.

The reception does close at 21.00 – however the Saxaphone bar was open and the bar staff could have contacted other staff. To leave phones in the safe is a personal choice.

At check in we make it quick clear if guests require any items from their safe they should collect them before 21.00.

A 24 hour reception is not advertised in the brochure. The Saxaphone bar remains open until approximately 02.00 Hrs where staff on hand to assist as required. The reception can be opened at any time for an emergency case.

First Choice provide a 24 hour number which if required customers can "text" and he holiday line we call back.

As burst pipes are a relatively rare event it was necessary for maintenance to secure a part before repairs could take place.

Once the repairs were in place maintenance who had been called to attend to another issue asked the cleaner to clean the bathroom thoroughly for the guests including removing any items related to the repair.

The hotel apologies if the guests felt that the hotel were not acting in the customers best interests.

The amount of investment that the hotel can make is directly linked to the income it receives.
A refurbishment has been discussed with First Choice and as and when discussions are complete we will update the hotel as appropriate.

Again we thank the guests for their input and hope that their next holiday meets their requirements.

Reviewed 4 July 2013

Hotel and rooms were very clean apart from ant infestation 2nd week and faulty air con unit which flooded apartment everytime it was used so after 2 nights we didn't bother. Also dont bother running a bath as this too will flood your apartment as the drains cannot cope with volume of water once you pull the plug out. Staff very pleasant esp reception and waitresses. Entertainment staff excellent and very hardworking. Food was a letdown. Varied dishes including Greek, Mexican, Italian unfortunately all cooked Greek style. Don't really cater for kids unless they like pizza or pasta. Evening bar was good but could get noisy so opening the pool bar in the evening too would give guests somewhere to have a quiet drink and relax and enjoy the beautiful sunsets. Pool is excellent with lots of activities available to keep you entertained. All inclusive ends at 11pm and then you have to pay for your drinks but you still only get served the local spirits which aren't as good as the proper stuff. Overall nice hotel but food let it down for us massively as we ended up eating out a few times which made this a very expensive holiday in the end. Sidari has plenty of bars and restaurants and shops that sell a variety of items including fake stuff if thats your thing. Corfu is a beautiful island so definitely recommend getting out and about.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Marie L

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this review.

We are pleased to see a balanced account.
It would have been helpful if we could have had more feedback whilst you were on holiday as we feel immediate improvements could have been made where necessary which would have benefited your holiday.

Again our thanks for your time.
Zafiris Team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sidari
Mareblue Beach Resort
Angelina's Hotel & Apartments
Damia Hotel
Damia Hotel
#10 of 39 in Sidari

Been to Zafiris Hotel? Share your experiences!