“A relaxing holiday”
Review of Haroula Apartments

Haroula Apartments
Ranked #27 of 39 Hotels in Sidari
Reviewed 31 July 2013

As some of you know, who follow me and my travels, I am quite critical of the places that I stay in. And that is when the company pays. However, when I am paying for myself, and my children, I am a little more critical than normal.

Well, I have nothing but good things to say about the Haroula Apartments. We arrived on the evening of the 4th of July and were resident for two weeks. The room we had (7) is contained and the bathroom is quite tiny. Everything is clean, and works. Make sure you run the hot water for a few minutes before it warms. Water pressure is good, toilet flushes.

There is an aircon if you require it, and recommended if you are not used to the warm nights. Make sure you take some mosquito spray, which can be purchased in town if you require.The rooms are tidy, linen is clean, and towels provided for the bathroom.

The general area around the restaurant and bar is neat and tidy with personal attention from the owners and in particular Maki's. Nothing is too much trouble, and he knows the names of all the guests and their children. He is always willing to assist in any request that you may have. The menu is limited, but sufficient for the style of catering that they offer. Breakfasts are good and plentiful if required. We self catered for breakfasts on most days with the nearest supermarket a short 20 minutes away by foot. The road is flat and taxis are available for the return leg if you have your hands full. If you require packs of bottled water, you can ask the owner if he could collect them from the store when he is next doing some shopping. Or of course you could buy them over the counter at Haroula, but they will cost fractionally more. Speaking of counters, if you spend some time at the bar counter, Maki is quite hospitable in the role of barman too. Beers are cold, glasses from the fridge and draught is available periodically. Spirits are hand poured and ice is plentyfull. Yamas!

The pool and area around the pool is neat and tidy, with a decent sized pool. Adequate shade if required. You will need your own pool towels and there is a kiddies paddling pool if you have little ones. Recommend that you check to see if there are any Lilo's or inflatables about before you go and purchase one, as many families leave theirs behind when they leave. During my stay of two weeks, my son and his mate aged 17 and my daughter of 14, met several families and even had a BBQ. The television in the common area can be tuned to most sports events if requested, and we enjoyed the Ashes cricket live on Sky Sports.

In summary, if you want an all inclusive package deal, with bell boys and waiters and running hot and cold staff at your fingertips this is not for you. The Haroula apartments are a relaxed affair with honest family hospitality and good value for money. I will certainly be back.

Efcharisto.

Room Tip: All rooms are similar, consider the aircon if you are not used to high temperatures at night in the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Pilotdean
There are newer reviews for Haroula Apartments

Reviewed 24 June 2013

Very clean and friendly. Nothing was to much trouble. Owners are welcoming and friendly and as the apartments are out of town and a 20 minute walk. The owners would either get anything you need if they were going into town or pick you up if they saw you walking back. Food was yummy. Maid came everyday apart from her day off (2 days I think).

Great place for peace and quite and meeting some friendly local and English people. Most people come back year after year. If you can book independently do so, as the owners get more for their money and it's cheaper for you. Pay per room and not per person (well that used to be in 2011)

These people are worth a visit for a lovely holiday.

Room Tip: Hire a car for the length of your holiday as this is out of town and get a little hot mid day to wal...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Honeyflower28
Reviewed 18 March 2013

i think since 2008 ive been to haroula twice a year,we love it there and love the vlahos familly also who cant do enough for you.you get basic very clean apps at a good price,also the home cooked food is great.if you can get a buget flight its best to speak to makis an book direct as i do.If you want a total chill out hol/this is the place for you.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Derek18
Reviewed 12 October 2012

Wonderful Holiday made even better by meeting the Family of the Haroula Apartments who went out of their way to make our Holiday great many thanks hope to see you in 2013 xx
We had not been to The Haroula Apartments before and as there was myself,my Husband,daughter,son-in-law and Granddaughter we didn't know what to expect but everything was great x

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Mazymaxy
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Just back from a ten day stay, myself and my 15yr old twins, very much echo what the previous reviewer states, basic but clean and spacious accomodation with a lovely pool area with ample free sunbeds and picturesque surroundings, excellent if like me you like peace and a nice countryside walk.

A mixture of nationalities and age groups when we were there but as others have said the owners and especially Makis and Haroula seem to make everything gel and the atmosphere is very friendly and laid back, great for families with kids but quiet enough for couples to enjoy as well. No daft organised 'fun' just nice people who'll go out of there way to help with anything you need or will leave you alone to get on with things if you wish. Nothing was too much trouble;
I needed to organise a transfer to another part of island as we were doing a two centre stay and Makis kindly allowed me to use his computer behind the bar and print docs off as much as I needed so if you need this sort of thing for printing boarding cards or whatever, no problem and no charge, he even bought me a beer while I was sorting things.
Talking to another family who were there at the time, they were in the supermarket about a 20 min walk away and asked for a taxi back to Haroula as they had heavy bags, the checkout girl said 'no problem, Maki will collect you, I'll call him' and sure enough within a few mins they were back courtesy of the free makis taxi. Another person I met bought his favourite tipple (guiness) from the supermarket as the bar didn't sell it so Makis asked if he wanted to keep it in the fridge behind the bar so he could drink it there and provided ice cold glasses for free instead of having to take it to his balcony to drink, try that in other places!

We also met a lovely Oliver reed lookalike Brit (sorry mate) who lives part of the year nearby and uses the bar as his local, it all just adds to the friendliness of the place. I would say hi Geoff but he won't see this as he refuses to have anything to do with internet lol. If by any chance you do read this, sorry I didn't get the chance to meet your wife and have a good drive back to Cornwall

In summary I would thoroughly recommend this little complex as long as you don't mind a bit of a walk to the centre of Sidari, for me the peace and quiet of its countryside position more than made up for this, and as I said there's always Maki's taxi lol. A superb find and if we return to Sidari this is where I'll be staying.

Almost forgot, you will get a better deal if you book online with owners by email (just google haroula) than through a tour operator as they will be no commission to pay

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank NYorksSteve
Reviewed 7 August 2012

We have just returned from a week's holiday at Haroula Appartments - what a lovely restful break with our 2 children (11 and 14) The Appartments themselves are typical greek and basic but very clean, but the accomodation is brought to life by the owners who are exceptional hosts. Makis, Haroula and their parents are a Greek family who own and run the small complex, they are very friendly and go out of their way to help you enjoy your stay here. The swimming pool is lovely, the restaurant and bar is open all day and evening, and the food is excellent from snacks through to traditional Greek dishes. The appartment is located about 25 minutes walk from the centre of Sidari, a cheap taxi ride or a nice walk once the sun has cooled a little! The location means you are in Greek countryside which is lovely and peaceful - there is a great family feel around the place, with a mixture of families who return every year, and younger couples all enjoying their holidays. THANK YOU MAKIS & Family!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank tj r
Reviewed 15 January 2011

We stayed at Haroula after booking a day before late deal after originally being booked to go to turkey with goldtrail (the company who went bust last year) We booked on the saturday and went on monday. We paid £179 last minute self catering with thomson - we were just glad to be going on holiday after the goldtrail nightmare!
We arrived at the hotel at 4 in the morning - nobody to greet us and locked out of our rooms - rep had no clue what to do - turns out one of the owners had fallen asleep in his car waiting for us as our flight had been delayed! Ok not a great start but did not let it put us off!
Rooms are basic but completely adequate for a self catering break. The kitchen comprised of a toaster, hob, kettle and fridge. The electrics look 'slightly' dodgy but we were just careful and unplugged items after use and had no problems. There was a downstairs bedroom with 2 single beds opening up onto a little terrace overlooking the pool, that was great to sit out on. The upstairs room had also 2 single beds but was INCREDIBLY hot. Air conditioning is not included but you can pay a small fee to get it; however it does NOT help in the upstairs room. We paid for it, slept with the window wide open and nothing on and it was too hot. But bearing in mind we stayed in the middle of July when temperatures are extreme. The air con does however benefit the rest of the apartment so it is well worth getting.
The only bad point about the apartment was the bathroom. The shower had no pressure. Our sink plug was stuck so water could not drain and the toilet seat fell off! It sounds worse than it was though!
The only other bad point was that the cleaner was a cow! She left our toilet bins unemptied quite a few days (bearing in mind we are in greece where you don't flush paper and we had 2 teenage lads with us!!!) She also tried to blame us for the blocked sink and broken toilet seat! And on our last day we were not leaving until 10pm at night, ourselves and another family went halves on the room to save paying twice and she went mad!
The pool area was great and the bar and food were good, though not cheap. The owners were also great people and really friendly.
Overall a good place to stay though a 20 minute walk into town which in mid day was incredibly hot!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family