“We will be back!”

Damia Hotel
Ranked #11 of 39 Hotels in Sidari
Reviewed 21 July 2013

ARRIVAL
We arrived at Damia hotel on the 14th July 2013 for a week's holiday. After booking through 'On The Beach' and receiving confirmation we were taken aback when Damia (hotel manager) politely told us that we had in fact not booked a room. She then led my fiancé into her office and showed him the email that she sent to 'On The Beach' which stated that she was fully occupied. However, after being served some cooling refreshments on the house we were allocated a room and were told that we would have to swap rooms half way through the week. This didn't bother us at all. It was clear that the fault was from 'On The Beach' and Damia bent over backwards to accommodate us at short notice and was very welcoming indeed.

ROOMS
The rooms are what you would expect of a 2 star self catering hotel- basic but very clean and comfortable. Air conditioning could be bought for 60euros for the week which you probably don't need as the rooms have curtains which- if you keep closed- keep the heat out well, but my fiancé likes to sleep in an ice box! Other reviews have stated the bathroom was dirty and smelly; although the facilities were not brand spanking new they were clean and functional. We complained about the pressure of our shower in our first room and it was fixed the same day with a new hose being installed by Dimitris (Damia's son) with no hesitation and with a smile.
Damia also gave us a plug in for the mosquitos after seeing how badly bitten my fiancé was and even gave us some cream for the bites- if that's not service then I don't know what is. I really don't see what some of the other reviewers are talking about.

POOL/BAR
The pool is much bigger than all the other hotels in Sidari (most of which are right on the road) and it was always spotless. There were plenty of sun beds to go around- you needn't get up early to put a towel out which is great and no matter what time of day you could always get a bed in the sun or the shade whichever you prefer.
The bar staff come around the poolside often and ask if they can get you anything from the bar which is great and the drinks are served in frozen 'glasses' around the pool to keep you cool.
The bar staff were absolutely excellent- Dimitris, Alexandros and Anna- all very friendly and a good laugh. Every time you saw them they ask 'How are you?' and ask what had you been up to that day.
Some reviewers have said that the staff were cold towards them if they thought you weren't eating and drinking in the hotel- what a pack of lies! We ate out every night with the exception of one evening plus the Greek Night (BBQ with all the Greek trimmings and Greek dancing for 7euros) and we still received the best treatment from all the staff, and even being given drinks on the house as it was our last night. We were also offered free Greek lessons from Alexandros and they were more than happy to help you out translating various phrases and words- from the serious questions to the very silly!

THINGS TO DO
Damia booked us a trip to Aqualand (an hour's coach trip from the hotel) which is well worth a visit. Being two big kids- 23 and 26- we loved it. We payed 30euros each and that included your park entry and pick up and drop off on the door step.
Also worth a visit is Paleokastritza. We went by boat from Sidari harbour (19 euros each) and it took and hour and a half- just don't have too much to drink the night before as it is a small ferry and a choppy boat ride! The cliffs you see along the way are amazing to look at and the bay itself at Paleo is stunning with crystal clear waters. It looks like something from Thailand.
We also enjoyed a cliff jump off the rocks at Canal D'Amour- this was free! Beware if you are not a strong swimmer though as it is quite hard to swim back in to the side and climb out!
Sidari beach, where we spent most of our time, is only a 20 minute walk from the hotel. Leave early to avoid the scorching heat! Or it's 5 euros for a taxi if you are feeling lazy.
The nearest supermarket and Tavernas are only a 5-10 minute walk away from the hotel.

RESTAURANTS
Visit 'The Orchard' for the best traditional Greek food. This is about a 10 minute walk from the hotel. Also 'Greek Village and Bablyon Bar' (on the beach front) is also worth a visit.
The food in the hotel was also excellent the night we dined there, we shared Tsaziki and Pitta Bread then I had a Greek Salad which was about 6 euros and my fiancé had the special that day of Spaghetti and Meatballs which was also reasonably priced. A jug of wine (about 500ml) costs you just 5 euros so all very affordable and the service- as always- was excellent.

OVERALL
We really enjoyed our week in Corfu staying at the Damia Hotel. The staff are really what made the holiday so good. If you are looking for an affordable stay in Corfu and don't mind a walk into the buzz of things then we strongly recommend you stay here.

Thank you to all at the Damia Hotel- you really made our holiday amazing! We will be back!

Abbie & David <3

Room Tip: We stayed in 207 in the building across from the bar and then 105 directly above the bar and both ro...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 July 2013

Staff were extremely friendly and helpful from the second we walked in. Great place and level of service second to none making you feel so welcome. Personal service from every single person, from the owner to the cleaner. Good food, great pool to just relax by and set in an ideal location. Only place I'd stay in if I went back.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We stayed at the Damia the very first week of june - the weather was fabulous and we had a great time . I cannot believe some of the terrible reviews - they really must be joking . I can honestly say that other than a couple of soft drinks a few games of pool and a relax by probably the cleanest pool Ive ever swam in we spent very little time at the Damia . We ate at the Damia on the last day and said to Damia the owner that it was probably our biggest regret - as we had eaten out a lot and that the food in the Damia was probably the 2nd best all holiday - with the restaurant at sunset beach (logas beach - 15 minutes walk away being our favorite) We had no problem talking with either the staff at Damia or Damia who we found fascinating to be truthfully honest and learned a lot about her - Previous restaurant owner in Sidari - Built the Damia from scratch etc - I only wish we had more time than a week there . We never felt unwelcome or uncomfortable and hopefully will be going back with the children sometime . People go on holiday to enjoy themselves - and I feel very sorry for the people complaining about anyone,s children swimming in the pool - jealousy I suspect . I can tell you something about Damia for nothing - If she did allow her staff to bring their children to work and treat those children as her guests and let them use the pool etc THAT IS THE SORT OF EMPLOYER WE WOULD LOVE FOR EVER. I cannot explain the terrible reviews but feel confident enough to recommend the Damia to anyone . Some people will never be happy - that is a fact of life -
MY MESSAGE TO THE PEOPLE LEAVING TERRIBLE REVIEWS - BOOK YOURSELF INTO A TINY COTTAGE SOMEWHERE AS REMOTE AS POSSIBLE THE NEXT TIME YOU WANT TO GO ON HOLIDAYS - YOU WILL END UP WRITING A TERRIBLE REVIEW ABOUT YOURSELF AND STILL BELIEVE SOMONE ELSE IS TO BLAME .

MY MESSAGE TO DAMIA - THANK YOU FOR A GREAT STAY - HOPE TO STAY AGAIN SOON - TOP FLOOR ABOVE RECEPTION ROOM NEAREST THE STAIRS JUNE 1ST - JUNE 8TH

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank walesclaireb
Reviewed 15 July 2013

July 7-14
First, let me start by thanking Damia, her lovely family and her excellent staff for a vacation my family and I will not soon forget. I normally don't write many reviews here because many people use this site and forum to needlessly build up or destroy an establishment's reputation. Such is the way of our modern electronic social medium. I've made an exception this vacation for 2 reasons; first to give my honest opinion about this hotel and second, to give others a more objective view as seen by me. I'm an American who has lived in Volos, Greece for the last 20 years and I've been around the block a few times when it comes to Greek hotels. My wife is Greek and I have a 9yr old daughter. Each year at this time I try to take a week or two for a few "mental health days" where I can go and relax and socialize with other English speakers. This year I chose Damia(s) Hotel in Sidari. What I wanted was a nice family oriented hotel, not too close to all the resort noise but not too far away either, with a great pool for my daughter and at a reasonable price. I got all this and much more at the Damia.

Here's what I observed and what I can opine about Damia's Hotel.

ROOMS:
Rooms were comfortable and newly refurbished. Kitchen facilities were complete and in very good condition. Air conditioning is an available option that I highly recommend in July/August to keep things cool and to reduce the mosquito annoyance at night. Bathroom is a typical simple shower type unit which serves its purpose quite nicely.(be a little careful because Greek tile can be a bit slippery when wet). The bed was large, firm and comfortable. My room also had a set of bunk beds for kids. I rate these rooms as very good/excellent and the best you'll find in this hotel's price range. Cleaning staff were outstanding. Beds were made up and rooms cleaned every day. New towels every other day. I think if you have a special need it can be addressed. I got extra pillows no problem.

FACILITIES:
Bar/restaurant: We ate several meals here and every one was very good. Each day there is a Chef's Greek special made with local ingredients.(The hotel has it's own organic garden for fresh fruits and vegetables). Drinks at the bar are reasonably priced and the beer is cold and refreshing. As a beer drinker, this alone would probably warrant a 5 star rating. A tip: ask for your beer in the pool only plastic mug because these are the double layered type with frozen liquid between the layers which keeps the beer colder longer (if you're a slow drinker)

WiFi is available and fast and some books are on hand for you reader types. A couple large screen TVs are available and English channels/sports are available on these. In room TVs have Greek channels only, which have about 40-50% English programming in the evening.

Finally the pool. Best part in my daughters opinion. Large exceptionally clean with many loungers for sunbathing. A kiddy pool is also available (I forgot there's also a nice playground for small children)Pool and surrounding area maintenance is among the best I've seen in Greece. The pool area is beautifully landscaped with both native flora and palm trees.

STAFF: Everyone is extremely friendly. Damia exemplifies the best in Greek women; friendly, compassionate, and proud in the best meaning of the word. Also of special note, Anna, the day barista and pool waiter is smart, friendly and accommodating to just about anyone's every wish (be careful though ,she's a degree'd psychologist so "if you're elevator doesn't go to the top floor" be advised) All the others too numerous to mention were all terrific. I found that they went out of there way to help and give advice on what best to see and do.

GENERAL: The walk to the town center can be a bit long so take water (there's hotels and a small market along the way)and enjoy the trip. Watch out for cars especially at night; this is not just exclusive to this area of Corfu. If you have the budget, rent a car or scooter to see the area and the island; Damia can help you with this or any other transport needs. If you want she can make arrangements both to and from the airport or port. Lastly, just so you don't get the idea you're completely out in the boondocks, the Canal D'Amour area of the resort is only about a 900m walk (maybe closer if there's a shortcut I didn't see). There are several bars, restaurants and stores here also.

ADVICE: Get some anti-mosquito plugins to keep these guys away. They can be a problem especially if you don't use the A/C; this is true in many parts of Greece not just Sidari. Watch the sun. It's hotter than it feels. The constant breeze can give you a false sense of safety and you can get a sunburn. Last, we're all here on vacation and sometimes there are cultural differences between different nationalities. Exercise a bit of tolerance and you will enjoy your vacation experience all the more. Most of us can solve our problems with a little discussion or over a cold beer; try it if the need arises.

To conclude, let me say that if you're a family, a mature couple or a civilized young group looking for a great hotel in a nice resort you will find none better than Damia's Hotel in Sidari, Corfu. If anyone has specific questions that you think I can answer then email me and I will try to reply. Jim my email: mclaughlingr@hotmail.com

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank JimmyinGreece
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Just come back from a lovely 10 day break at Damias Hotel with my wife and 2 sons and am quite startled by comments some people have left on this lovely family Hotel. There must be two Damias!!, The one that we met was ever so charming and accommodating, she booked us a hire car, trips to Aqualand, Corfu town and cooked me a full English breakfast even though breakfast had finished 2 hours earlier. True that a group of 50 or so young Slovakian students turned up half way through our stay, but to be fair to them they where very well behaved and did not spoil our stay there at all.
The main strip was about 20 minutes walk from the Hotel with some decent restaurants a little bit closer. The swimming pool was nice and clean with plenty of sunbeds for everyone. Our 2 bed apartment was very clean, clean towels where provided twice a week and the apartment was attended to by a maid every day.
On our final day Damia and her staff waved us off on our bus and thanked us for staying there.
This was our third holiday to the resort of Sidari in the last 6 years and Damias has been the best hotel so far with good food nice friendly staff with the perfect host (Damia)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Steve E
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I went to Damia's hotel at the end of June with a friend - we specifically wanted a quiet area, a friendly atmosphere and a hotel to feel like home - something that when Damia greeted us we felt we’d have: 'feel at home' – this soon faded very quickly..

The room was adequate I suppose - but do expect to have to buy your own toilet roll, have dirty and old towels (our 'clean' towels had a blood stain on one and a grey/brown stain on another), a shower curtain with a scummy bottom and a yellow stain and mould infested walls, and a cleaner to come by a couple of times and not give you fresh towels or sheets.

The pool is fine, quite big, plenty of sunbeds, but the poolside drinks and food were very medico- the ice cream freezer had only 3 different ice creams in it!!

After a couple of days at the hotel, I soon realised that unless you were constantly feeding Damia with money every day, it meant you were outcast from the hotel almost immediately - without hesitation. When often would take a walk to the shop for a drink (as the bar only a few variations of drinks), have a walk to a café for lunch, coming back to the hotel we felt unwelcomed because Damia knew we weren’t eating and drinking around the pool. Each day, she sat looking out to the pool and the guests from a chair just staring out at us. She never smiled at us or even looked remotely happy, so I’m sure you can imagine how cold her presence felt to guests. This made us feel intimated and anxious. She would sit and stare from the entrance, over looking the pool making you feel on edge.

As I said, each morning, whether it was walking to the pool or going out of the hotel past her, she NEVER said hello, asked us how we were, recommended places for us to go to - nothing. She simply sat in her high chair, constantly with a fag in her mouth, staring. One day, the only slight bit of reaction we got from her was a stressed looking nod.

So, as you can imagine, walking past her to leave the hotel was absolutely awful – throughout the week it just got worse - we even considered jumping a fence on the side of the hotel to avoid her seeing us, and us seeing her. She really made you feel you shouldn't be leaving.

Not knowing our circumstances in any way at all, she assumed that as me and my friend were in our 20's we should be out at all hours and drinking alcohol in her bar all day (as she often is!) - this stereotypical view is something that grinded us down each day. She knew nothing of our stay and the reason we opted for that hotel, and even questioned in a rude way why we were home so early when we had came in at midnight one eveing. She never looked us, she sucked on her cigarette and in a cold way, asked us ‘Why you home so early’. We felt ridiculed, worried and just gutted - why do we need to explain what we choose to do?

And now for the worse part, on our third day - Damia did the unthinkable.

Sitting by the quiet pool at midday, all of a sudden a coach of over 50 Slovakian graduates turned up to the hotel. They poured through the door, instantly filling the whole pool area. The 4 guests around the pool, including us, sat in shock at the amount of people coming around the pool area, bombing into the pool, pulling in three huge speakers, shouting on megaphones, putting banners over their balcony’s, jumping over balcony’s, drinking out of litre Vodka bottles and causing havoc.

As this was happening, the hotel guests felt so intimidated by it – the guests were compiled of a family with two children under 10, a family with a 9 week old baby and a retired couple. The hotel is obviously in a quiet area, reviewed as a family hotel – so why an earth did Damia let THIS happen?

Damia didn't think to mention this to us at any point of our booking or stay – She has every opportunity to do so: on our arrival, the day before, the morning of the guests arriving - but instead she made us feel vulnerable, on edge and in utter shock - this 100% ruined our holiday. Even whilst the students were pouring into the hotel and Damia and her staff could see we were all worried, they all watched us and didn’t even think to pop by to explain to us. When a member of staff was coming round the pool and one point we thought they were going to explain, but they weren’t – instead, they were giving shots of vodka around the 50 students.

At one point, when the family with the 9 week old baby fled the pool for their hotel room and the students were jumping on the 9 week old babies inflatable, I decided to try to approach Damia about this (as I know another guest had already approached her, so I felt she would understand where I was coming from). I approached her with a smile and was really polite – I said that I wondered if she could see the family with the babay as they seemed upset, and I wanted to give her the heads up. The more I spoke, the more I noticed she wasn’t listening to me but counting the money in her till. So, I gently said “Damia?” and suddenly she turned around and said “speak to one of them (her bar staff) – the guests speak English, if they have a problem, they can speak to me” – saying this she smiled in a condescending and aggressive manner telling me to go away. then turned away and carried on counting the money in her till.

Every inch of the pool and poolside was taken over by the graduates, making us feel so unwelcomed. In the evenings they were banging on our door through the night, running around. We tried to get out of the hotel as much as possible to avoid this – meaning that we weren’t buying anything – which meant we were subjected to Damia’s evil side. What’s more, Damia had had the same group to the hotel, the same complaints the

We booked this holiday using tripadvisors reviews, and although there were a couple of bad ones, we thought she wouldn’t be that bad, but trust me- she is!

I never moan about holidays, but I hope everyone realises how harsh she is. Also, if you’re planning on going in the summer of 2014, make sure she hasn’t got these people over again – because she won’t tell you.

I would strongly advise you go to Olga's apartments (I stayed there 4 years ago) - they are friendly, attentive and happy! Compared to Damia, they were AMAZING.

Damia made us feel awful - absolutely awful. And she knew she did, because I tried to politely raise it. She doesn't deserve a cent to her business.

Unless you spend every minute and cent at her hotel you will never be accepted, and this is when you'll feel her sting - and trust me...it hurts!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
12  Thank Daisy H
damiahotel, Owner at Damia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2013

I am a mother and then buisness woman as some people like to call me...i love my job and i respect the people who choosing my place.
Only one thing i am gonna say: I feel sorry for them ..nothing else Thank you. Damia

Reviewed 10 July 2013

Just logged on to give review on our stay at this hotel and slightly dismayed to read some of the latest comments.

Damia and all of the staff were very friendly and helpful to us. Damia welcomed us when we arrived in the early hours and could not have been nicer. We only ate at the restaurant about three times, despite this we often chatted with Damia on our way out to Sidari and it was her who explained about taxis back to hotel their costs etc.

Yes there were some of the family children in the pool in the morning but whilst they could on occassion be slightly boisterous, they were quickly told off by Damia or one of the other staff and in any case they were not that bad.

My husband and I wanted a quiet relaxing holiday and that is exactly what we had. We sat by the pool all day every day, it was so lovely and quiet.

The room was a good size and clean (what more do you want from a cheap deal!), Shower room was much the same as many hotel across Europe, but it did have much better water pressure.

The only downside I would say is that the beds were a bit hard and is perhaps just that bit too far from the main area of Sidari. The road was too dark to walk back at night, although taxis were relatively cheap at 5 Euros.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sidari
Alkyon Hotel
MarBella Corfu Hotel
#1 of 5 in Agios Ioannis Peristeron
Angelina's Hotel & Apartments
Kontokali Bay Resort and Spa

Been to Damia Hotel? Share your experiences!