“Nice guest house near the ferry terminal”
Review of Gasthem Kronan

Gasthem Kronan
Ranked #1 of 2 Mariehamn B&B and Inns
Turku, Finland
“Nice guest house near the ferry terminal”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Me and my friend took an extempore trip to Mariehamn and since Gästhem Kronan is just a stone's throw away from the ferry terminal, we decided to see if they had any rooms available, which they did. The staff was welcoming and friendly and we got a double room on the second floor. The room wasn't too big but nice and clean with a washbasin, two small tables and a closet where you could hang your clothes. The shared toilets and showers were in the hall and they were also nice and clean.

The breakfast included porridge, cereal, two kinds of bred, cheese, salami and cucumber,egg, jam, orange juice, tee and coffee - nothing fancy but quite good.

We stayed at Kronan for two nights and we were really satisfied with the location because it was so close to the terminal and only a 10 minute walk to the city center. It was raining the day we left but fortunately we could leave our bags at the guest house and come and get them just before we had to go to the ferry.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay and I would recommend Gästhem Kronan to anybody who prefers to stay at a cheaper and cozier accommodation than a hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Business
london
Reviewed 27 July 2013

To be positive the location is excellent, it was clean, ., and the bicycles to rent were fine.

I understand there is a short season, and July is high season, but 77 euro is too much for this pension. We had 2 single beds (no head board) an IKEA table, a mini wardrobe and a washbasin in a room about 10ft (3m) square. Breakfast was similarly basic...one plate of cheese, one plate of salami and one bowl of jam, with sliced bread and paper cups and plates.For comparison we paid the next night 79 euro to stay at the Radisson Blu in Aabo, with their en suite room and full breakfast buffet

However, you are a captive market.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Mariehamn hotels

Forest of Dean
Reviewed 19 August 2012

This budget accommodation in a modern building which is very close to the main ferry port and also close to the centre, so the position is great. The rooms are basic but clean and the showers and toilets are shared. The staff appear to be young girls who were very helpful but are only there to set out breakfast and then clean the empty rooms. We didn't see the owner during our stay. Room keys were left in an envelope with your name on it. Overall it serves a purpose and I would recommend it for it's position but don't expect any charm.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Patrick R
Porvoo, Finland
Reviewed 12 August 2012

I booked my lodging via Alandsresor (a firm that specializes in trips to Åland Islands) and everything went smootly with booking.I had booked a singleroom for one night and I knew it would be a simple room with shared toilets and showers.That was fine with me as I only wanted a clean place to sleep for the night.The price was 52 €/night,fairly ok for it being high season.The price included lodging,linen and towels and breakfast.

Upon arrival it was easy to find Gästhem Kronan as it is very close to the harbour and a very short walk to the city centre also.The staff was still cleaning the rooms when I arrived so I had to wait to check in.The girl who check me in was nice and the service was quick.

My room was a singleroom on the ground floor.It was clean and quiet,no street noise or anything.But you could hear noise from the neighboring rooms,so the walls are fairly thin.I did have a nice sleep although the mattress was a bit hard for my taste.Also the bedside lamp was broken.

The shared showers and toilets were clean,so no problems there.

My problem was with the breakfast,the food itself was ok.Simple scandinavian breakfast,bread with butter,cheese,sausage,tomato or cucumber,porridge or corn flakes.Not much to choose from,but it's what you would expect from a budget lodging.But why do they serve it from disposable dishes? It makes for a cheap look and I think real china would look nicer.Sure,using disposable dishes saves effort as you don't have to wash up but other than that it looks cheap.

Also,don't book Gästhem Kronan expecting the staff to attend to you 24/7.There is no staff present during late evening or night.They are only there during the morning and day.That was fine as I didn't require much service anyway,I just needed a bed for the night.

I could stay at Kronan again,it's clean,cheap budget lodging at a nice location and I would recommend it to budget minded travellers that knows this isn't a hotel but more of a self catering holiday.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Annicha84
Victoria
Reviewed 21 June 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for two nights. We found out about Gasthem Kronan on the visitaland.com website (it was not on booking.com). This economy hotel is very close to the ferry terminal so it was easy to get to. When we arrived about 8:00 am (before check-in time,we locked our luggage up in the ferry terminal), we rented two bicycles and spent the day cycling around the Mariehamn area - great fun! Later, when we arrived to check in, the reception was unmanned, but our key was waiting there for us. The single speed bikes were not a problem as Aland is very flat. The shared bathrooms and showers were busy but were not a problem and they do provide towels. The room was clean and well kept. The breakfast was good and basic. The girl working during breakfast there was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Globetrotting_Canuk
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 13 April 2011

I'd got a confirmed booking by email, but I phoned from the ferry an hour before arriving just to make sure. On the phone, the owner was grumpy and unfriendly. Anyway, I arrived at the B&B and there was nobody there. I rang the bell several times, but nothing. After 10 minutes, I tried phoning, and eventually there was a sound from upstairs. The owner came clattering down, drunk (it was 1 pm), unshaven and smelly, and ranted at me for waking him up.
I walked out, and went to the Tourist Office to ask for their help in finding somewhere else. When I explained about the behaviour of the Kronan owner, the Tourist Office lady apologised, and told me that this was not the first time that this had happened - indeed they'd had similar complaints before.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
9 Thank tnbms162016
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 30 May 2010

I went to Aland for two nights for a short side trip. I found Kronan on the visitaland.com site I was also recommended Kronan on a travel forum.

Kronan is an excellent budget choice in Mariehamn where things are quite expensive. It has shared bathrooms and showers so you need to bring your own towel, or buy one in town. My room was clean and decent with a table, chairs and a sink. There was a window and it looked out to the lovely views of "suburban" Mariehamn. Breakfast is included in the spring and summer months. There is a fridge the guests can use.

The reception is usually unmanned. The owner Peter and the staff come by around lunchtime to clean up the breakfast and do the rooms. At other times, you can call him and if you have no phone, use the one in the lobby. If you make a reservation, they will leave the room key on the reception desk.

Kronan is only two blocks from the Western Harbor where the ferries dock so it is very convenient if you are using them to and from Aland. You can arrive on the late boats and with a reservation, pick up your key and you can be in your room very quickly after arrival.

The recommended thing to do is to get around town and the islands by bicycle. You can rent one at Kronan for EUR 8/day or if you want more choices, like more than one gear or a basket in front, you can do that elsewhere. The ones at Kronan are fine and with so little grade in Aland, I really had no need for more gears. By bike central Mariehamn is only a minute or two away.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo