“Nice hotel in the central”

Hotel Savoy Mariehamn
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Mariehamn
GreenLeadersSilver level
Turku, Finland
“Nice hotel in the central”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I only spent one night here, but when I arrived in the middle of the night I got a nice welcome. The halls where a bit difficult at first, but I really liked the room and its modern look. Got really nice service the next morning when I asked for a extra hour before check-out. Really happy with the hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Roni H, General Manager at Hotel Savoy Mariehamn, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Many thanks for your review. I am very happy to hear that you have found our refurbished rooms comfortable and that our level of service has met your expectations. Welcome back to Hotel Savoy and Mariehamn.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Finnish first
Kristiansand, Norway
Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

An OK hotel for a short stay. But the 4 stars it boasts about hs to be from the sixties. The hotel is worn, bad sound insulation and small breakfast. But good situated near conference faclities and government.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Vantaa, Finland
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We spent there only one night, but I really liked their service attitude. We arrived early in the morning and did not get the room, but were invited to eat breakfast, which was nice.

In the evening we wanted to use sauna and pool. You can book it only for you for very reasonable price and it was also possible late night.

The room itself was newly renovated. Nothing to complain about.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wanikka
Roni H, General Manager at Hotel Savoy Mariehamn, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Many thanks for your positive comments. I am happy to hear that you have found our staff helpful and our recently refurbished rooms satisfactory. I wish you welcome back to Mariehamn and Hotel Savoy.
Austin, Texas, USA
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I found the hotel to be clean, in good condition, and the staff pleasant.
Breakfast, included in the rate, was ample with the typical large selection of breads and meats. It included juices and cereals, all buffet style.
The beds were a bit soft. The drapes are opaque and blocked off the early and late light in the summer. Room temperature was OK; there was no thermostat to control.
The hotel is conveniently located, close to the town centre, bus station, restaurants. The view from the room was of the street or car park as the hotel is about 1/2km from the water.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Viajero952
Many thanks for your review which I am sure other travellers will find helpful. We have continuously been improving our breakfast offering and I am thus very pleased that you have enjoyed it. Welcome back to the Savoy and Mariehamn.
london/uk
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I stayed here recently with my husband and young family. Staff were friendly and courteous on arrival. However the problem for us was the room! We were clearly put in the unrenovated part of the building, the odour in this corridor was musty and generally not fresh. The room was literally thick with dust and appeared not to have been touched all season. Beds are poor 2 foot twinswith thin mattresses and there was no way that they would adjoin, which is fairly important to us as holidays usually mean that the children gravitate toward our bed. On our second day we were in the room until midday and explained that we'd like the room serviced for the day but were not yet ready. On our return the bin was emptied, and that was it!
Good points, the breakfast was good, location great and staff courteous however I feel that it's a pricey hotel offering a less than adequate standard of accomodation in the unrenovated parts of the building

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank jojey
Thank you for your review and constructive comments. I am pleased to hear that you have found our staff helpful and courteous. We do have two wings in the hotel, and the rooms in both wings have been refurbished in the spring of 2012. The western wing with Superior rooms has been completely renovated and the 45 rooms are thus all new and equipped with two 100 cm wide beds plus one built-in extra bed that is 80 cm:s wide. In the eastern wing the rooms are partly refurbished: we have renewed the beds (2 x 90 cm wide), television sets and all textiles in our Standard and Family rooms. Please accept my apologies regarding the cleaning during your stay which clearly has not met our standards. Im looking forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Savoy and Mariehamn, please contact me directly before your next stay via the switchboard at +358-18-15 400.
Andorra la Vella, Andorra
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Friendly Reception staff on arrival. Hotel parking has no direct access from rear so 'all' luggage must carried to front door. Taking advice from other Tripadvisor's, I took my desk room fan - which helped cool my room (311 one of the best in the hotel - with tiny window open) overlooking gardens & parking. Ask for a room in refurbished wing. Bed was 'too soft' & gave no support - perhaps too many newly weds from Stockholm were staying there last week! Bistro restaurant was overpriced & food below average. Tiny portions & my 'Pepper Steak' was tasteless & a greyish color - could have been veal, pork or beef. Best to eat down the road for half the price as my 3 course set meal with an apple juice & coffee cost Euro 47 / US$ 62. Breakfast acceptable (inc) but traveling in the Nordic area all hotels & ferries seem to serve 'meatballs' for breakfast, lunch & dinner! Meatballs (or more Meatballs dish 2) & scrambled eggs in Savoy - does not go together! But I would recommend a stay here but one superior room at the end of July & on a package with Viking Ferries cost Euro 137 / US$ 182 for one person / one night - not good value. Mariehamn is a nice town & easy to walk about but packed with ferry travelers.

Room Tip: Stay at the rear near garden / car park - Front main road rooms are next to traffic lights with '...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank johnccsifin
Many thanks for your constructive feedback. I am pleased that you have been satisfied with the location, cleanliness and service at our property. I am however sorry to hear about your experience at our restaurant. In general Bistro Savoy receives positive comments regarding both food and service, but this time the steak you ordered has clearly not met our standards. Please contact me directly through the switchboard (+358-18-15 400) before your next stay at Hotel Savoy.

With Best Regards,
Roni Huttunen
Managing Director

As a tip to other travellers I recommend that you drive your car to the main entrance and unload your luggage, and park your car in our free parking area behind the hotel afterwards.
Helsinki
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Our room was at the first floor but as Maarianhamina isn't too big the traffic really didn't bother us. The hotel looks better from the inside. The rooms are nicely renovated and tidy.

The breakfast was bit of a disappointment but adequate.

Due to summer season the price of the room was bit too much but then again Maarianhamina isn't too popular during winter, I guess, so they have to compensate somehow.

There's a film theatre across the street.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Roni H, General Manager at Hotel Savoy Mariehamn, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Many thanks for your comments and feedback. I am happy to hear that you have been satisfied with our recently refurbished rooms. We are continuously improving our breakfast selection based on feedback from our guests, at the moment we are looking at replacing some of the warm dishes. Welcome back to Mariehamn and Hotel Savoy.