Plas Talgarth Holiday Resort
Dolffanog Fawr(Talyllyn)
Trefeddian Hotel(Aberdovey)
Brackenhurst House(Fairbourne)
TripAdvisor
All reviewson sitey garthindoor poolmansion housethe kitchenbar and restaurantpitch and puttsteam roomstunning viewsbunk bedsself cateringchanging roomsleisure facilitiestable tennisthe snowdonia national parkliving areamacdonald hotels
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I stayed here with my partner for a two night break. When we arrived we knew we had made the right decision and we were not disappointed. The grounds are immaculately kept and the views of the surrounding areas are stunning. We were greeted by cheery reception staff and were amazed at our 'house' when we opened the door. We stayed in pation 5 which has a kingsize bedded ensuite bedroom downstairs and a kitchen diner which was well equipped with everything you need to self cater. The patio door revealed a lovely patio area with BBQ! The wildlife flying around it amazing, kites and nuthatches everywhere! The upstairs has a comfortable lounge area with patio doors and a balcony, a twin ensuite bedroom and a small bunk bed area for children just off it. At night the area was so tranquil and pitch dark, perfect for a good nights sleep. The resort offer great facilities, an indoor pool with steam room, jacuzzi and sauna off it, it offered adult only sessions too which was a bonus. The outer heated pool was amazing, so clean and in a fantastic location. We used the Y Garth pub on site which had great beer and tasty reasonably priced food. The resort is a great base for the surrounding coast and RSPB Ynys Hir is a short drive away. We would like to thank Chris the manager for his friendly help on arrival, we will certainly be back for a holiday soon with family as there are so many things on site to keep all generations entertained for a few days. Highly recommended!!

Room Tip: Patio 5 area has stunning views of the mountains.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Located close to the Dovey Estuary in mid Wales, the resort has a tranquil pastoral setting overlooking farmland and forests.
Comprising two storey apartments and detached bungalows, the spacious resort can offer a range of accommodation to suit individual needs but we never felt overwhelmed by other guests. A range of indoor and outdoor activities were available including both indoor and outdoor pools, spa, pitch & putt, gym and a restaurant/bar (contracted to a separate service provider).
Our unit was fresh and tastefully finished with three bedrooms comprising a king, a twin and a small room with bunk beds which was tight for our group of 6 adults but the resort did offer a free additional fold-up bed if we wanted. Storage space was adequate for our needs and the kitchen was well equipped including a doubledoor fridge and a dishwasher. A guest laundry facility was available for either self operated or serviced laundry at a reasonable cost. There were two bathrooms one with a shower over bath and another with a self contained shower. Neither was en suite.
On our arrival, the requested unit, arranged through RCI, South Africa, was not available but the reservations team swung into action, involved the resort General Manager and within minutes had not only arranged an alternative, superior unit but arranged for our clothes to be laundered free of charge - a huge boon for international travellers. What a pleasure....well done, Team Macdonald!
Although free WiFi was available, signal could only be accessed in the main lodge area which was irritating. Also annoying was the speed at which vehicles sped along the driveway access to the hotel which made walking a perilous pursuit and dangerous for children...perhaps, some traffic calming measures could be introduced.
We found Plas Talgarth a most attractive comfortable resort, professionally run with pleasnt helpful staff and clean well equipped modern units. This has to be on our shopping list for a return visit..

Room Tip: Choose accommodation which will be comfortable for your size of group
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank bergview
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Booked this resort as an anniversary {31st} direct with macdonald although they did at first dispute this, found out upon arrival that we booked a studio room with a sofa bed!! I told the reception staff that is fine if I was 18, he did not seem to fussed no solution was offered either,very bad customer relations here. We go to the room and was greeted by a lovely damp stained wall, you could actually smell the dampness,{ room 7 in the mansion house by the way}
again nothing offered accept that they would look into it, take a bit more than that I thought, anyway we checked out two days early and went to lake vrynwy much more like it, every thing that macdonald resort should be like but will never achieve.

Room Tip: my only tip would be to book a room with a good bed, you will not find it here, look else where. any where but here.
Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ron s
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I booked a 2 bedroom en suite duplex apartment. It had a very large living area, nice patio, well equipped kitchen, one bedroom was on the second floor which had a large corridor lined with wardrobes leading into it. Bedrooms were spacious, en suite. Everything was clean.
Beds were uncomfortable and the toilets smelt especially on flushing. You had to keep the door to the en suite shut in my room as a result. I don't think it was shoddy cleaning, I suspect it was the drainage system. You are joined to other apartments so you can expect some noise.
You can pay a minimum fee to get on demand movies and the choice of films was good. You can only get online if you choose the movie package as that gets you access to the internet via an ethernet cable only.
There are 2 pools, indoor and outdoor. Towels are provided for the indoor pool. Outdoor pool was supposed to be heated but was very cold.
Book in was an experience. We arrived about 19:00 The guy at reception was totally clueless. Told us all the wrong information and was quite rude when we first arrived. Asked some really pointless questions considering I had filled in an online pre arrival form. He told me that I hadn't paid for internet access when I had and then although completely unsolicited, tried to explain to me how to plug an ethernet cable into my laptop(and got it wrong..I didn't correct him)
The bar was adequate and provides a kids menu for bar food, there's not enough outdoor seating and the indoor seating is unappealing.
I've stayed in more expensive holiday resorts than here and i would say for the money it cost this was very good. It was actually better than I expected for the money, it's very good value. I will be returning here in the future as it's location in southern Snowdonia is a big selling point in it's favour. It's a great place for families to go on holiday.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank enceladous
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We booked into this resort at the last minute, and managed to get the Farmhouse. As a family of 2 adults and children aged 9 & 11 this location and property has been superb.
The resort has plenty to keep children and adults busy, the self-catering apartment was very well equipped, clean, and well placed at the complex, and the location of the resort is ideal for accessing local tourist activities.The staff and facilities were excellent.
We will go again, only change would be to book in for longer than the 4 days we were there :)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family