“Lovely family, bad nights sleep!”
Review of Wini Rai

Wini Rai
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Maumere
Wini Rai
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Lovely family, bad nights sleep!”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Ok so I stayed here because the online recommendations seemed ok. I stayed in April 2014 just for one night so i could get the bus the next day to Moni.

They have a sheet of paper with the prices on and tried to charge me 150,000 but at the bottom of the paper i saw a cheaper rate and asked for that one which i got for 75,000. The room had three single beds in, not that nice and blood on one of the beds. The room was too hot for me so i slept with the door open to get some breeze through as there are no fans in the rooms. This was not great as i am a single, woman traveller and was concerned with the door open, too hot with it closed. I go no sleep!

The family there are lovely. Two giggly teenage girls, a talkative young lad and an older man, I presume the father. Their English is non existent so sign language is the only way forward. After i arrived they offered me food and donuts and I sat and watched a film with them in the front lobby area.

The hotel felt very empty and isolated. I was quite happy to leave even though they were lovely people. I was on my own, maybe in a couple it would have been better. Maybe i should have checked a few rooms before saying yes but with the language barrier, it was difficult.

This is definitely a place to stop for one night only! For me though, i cant stand hot rooms so i wouldnt go back there. I would be interested to know what the other hotels around are like and to compare them. I had much better stays around other areas in Flores however I feel that Maumere is totally missing a trick.

To go to the bus station, leave the building and turn right. Walk for about 5 minutes and on the right you will see an empty gravel space. This is it, however im sure one of the bus men will see you first so just speak to him.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank janamanda

Couples
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Reviewed 4 May 2013

I went there based on the review here but.. There was no English speaking staff. I wanted 75k room but they said 150k for the room. They could not say even one two three in English. One staff could not even write numbers. I negotiate with my very limited Indonesian but they refused to give me any discount although the place was completely empty. Saw several rooms but no window. Very stuffy. Big stain on bed linen. Who knows if someone peed in bed. Moved to Gardena hotel in the city(ojeck 5k) which was not great but better and cheaper. If you want to practice your Indonesian and have own sheets this may be the place for you... From the airport to Wini rai l took a private driver for 12k. Cheap but l had to listen to his tour sales pitch in the car.

• Stayed May 2013

Travellers are raving about these Maumere hotels

Reviewed 4 May 2013

• Stayed May 2013
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2012

A great hotel for me to stay at. I stayed here for a total of 8 nights recently over 4 different periods but all within 5 weeks - I was doing visa extensions as i went east, and again a month later as I headed west. The first time they charged ne 50,000 for one of the economy rooms towards the rear of the property. I was there two nights and after applying for my visa extension headed for the beach - Wini Rai 1 looked after my big bag so I could go to the beach with just my day bag for two days while awaiting my new visa. On returning I took a room for the night and again was charged only b50,000 (the tariff sheet says 75,000 for my room). I did the same thing again a month later. They were ever so helpful during and even when I wasn't staying there!!!!!
My room was basic but had three single beds in it with a desk and a wall mounted fan. The mandi was shared and very close by.
Upgrade to a nicer room with attached mandi etc. Many local people use this with only one or two "foreigners" staying there, but hey, do we go to places like east Flores to be with tourists or immerse yourself into the local way of life - no tourists suited me fine ;-). On my last day before heading west the staff asked for my phone and returned it an hour later - now lending my phone to these individuals isn't a problem to me as i am fully aware they weren't going to abuse it. They returned it and asked me not to check the photos until I had left for Moni...... they had written complimentary signs and taken photos of them all together and as individuals- it was lovely.
The hotel is located about 2 km.s from the Ende bound terminal (which is just spare ground). There's a great internet place called Ship Net on the opposite side of the road whaich will take 2 minutes to walk to - 5,000 an hour!!!! Very Cheap. The night warung run by the two brothers directly next door is fantastic and very cheap. there's a more extensive menu across the road but I preferred the first one. Some more eating places all within a few minutes walk of the hotel - always heading into town.
Ojeks are 3,000 a ride no matter where, with the price going up to 4,000 or 5,000 towards the Airport and Immigration office which is several KM's away - a bargain price i think. Don't ask the ojek driver for the price, he'll ask over the odds, ask one of the hotle staff for an up to date price.. and get on and pay as you get off.
Enjoy Wini Rai 1..... not 2

Room Tip: Rooms between 75,000 and 300,000