I had to stay in Maumere due to work Project I had there. As most visitors are tourists, Maumere would not be your number one place to go to on this island. My colleagues stayed in a hotel in Maumere (Pelita, the most dreadful place I have ever seen, looking into a wall with barbed wires) so I decided to stay at Sea World Club in Maumere-Waiara. To put everyhing in perpective: Flores - Maumere is a poor island with almost no or very basic facilities, and the island caters mainly for the "daring" and adventurous tourists, those that do not seek sleek or luxurious places, but rather like to dive, enjoy the nature destinations and unspoiled beaches. Tourism is at the level of the ealry 1980s and have not very much developed since. So this "resort" is the better choice for eastern part of the island. What strikes most in this resort is the large difference in comfort, decoration (or the absence of it) between the various room types. As I was by myself and did not book 3 nights until the last moment, I had to change every day my room, so experienced three types of rooms. The first night was actually by far the best in a "premium beach front suite". Located at the beach with a nice small part to the garden separating the room from the beach, this was a spacious place. The bathroom is no fun, lacking the small luxury things like a hairblower or a shaving mirror while the shower worked but not lavishly. The second room was quite a dissapointment after the first night, a "garden cottage" tucked away, with no view to speak of other than in the garden, but not the best part of it. I had to move this small dark place as the airco did not work. So I was moved to the "family villa" also at the bsck side of the hotel. An unatttractive place, with awful lighting (those lightbulbs that make your skin look like you just had a serious health issue) with small curtains that must have hanged there since the 1980ies. Very unattractive even for a family to stay in. The third room was called a "honeymoon suite" but in fact it's just a regular beach cottage at the end of the row, just like the cottages that are rather close to each other, located behind the premiums beach front suites. The only difference with the other cottages is that this one is made of dark broen wood in stead of bamboo. In short, make sure you get one of the newer premium besch front suites, they are basically in my view the only ones real worth staying in.
The restaurant is not exciting at all, the food is mediocre at best. breakfast is simple. Finding alternative restaurants around Maumere is a challenge, we were told that "Golden Fish" just a 10-15 minute drive would be the best fish restaurant, as the fishermen wer fasting (muslims in a mostly catholic island) they did not catch any fish so we had to do it with some smaller plates. The restaurant basically is a fihing equipment shop with in the back upper floor dinimg tables. Tasteful food, be it small in selection.
The car that i rented to bring me to the Virgin Mary statue on Nilo Hill charged me 350,000 rupiah for a 2 ½ hour drive to and from there which is given the low price level of the island, rather a high price.
In short: probably Ok for a short stay like two days to then travel to the much more attractive west side of the islands.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to The Sea World Club Beach Resort & Dive Center Sea World Club Beach Resort & Dive Center, located in peaceful Waiara beach in Maumere, the biggest city in Flores Island-Indonesia. Situated along 500 m nice grey sands beach and surrounding by beautiful tropical garden makes the resort looks very exotics. Rebuilding a bankrupt hotel was a far-sighted self-help-project of the German father Heinrich Bollen SVD. This courageous project offers financial support for the social project in education, health and children to development the island and provides jobs for about 40 people. The Sea World Club Beach Resort & Dive Center features 9 beachfront cottage and suites,1 honeymoon suites and 3 family cottages overlooking the ocean, 12 garden cottage and 2 private villas. With the nice beautiful beach and surrounded by tropical garden, the exotic buffet breakfast with home made jam from the local fruits, dinning at beachfront restaurant with selection of menu, enjoying the spectacular sunset while watching the fisherman working, diving and snorkelling activity, The Sea World Club Beach Resort & Dive Center is the place to be to have the amazing exclusive holiday experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Sea World Club Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sea World Club Beach Hotel Maumere
- Sea World Hotel
- Sea World Club Beach Resort Maumere, Flores, Indonesia