“lovely place but!!”

Baan Taranya Resort
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Ko Yao Yai
Reviewed 24 October 2013

i have just stayed here for 5 nights and would like to share my impressions . I booked this resort on koh yao yai for two reasons , 3 actually , one the pics looked nice , two the island is still relatively untouched and quiet and 3 i wanted some comfort in my old age having spent years sleeping on beaches , roughing it . I immediately struck lucky with all three and not to mention what a rather good deal it was there comparing similar standards with surrounding properties . Upon arrival with my always present abundance of luck ..bad luck that is , came romping home like the 3.30 at epsom , horror , the sea mountain restaurant was more rubble than eatery , still in construction , i came for relaxation and the continuous hammering soothed my now worried brow . Still , being tired , no transport , not knowing where to go better and liking the bungalow i stayed and decided with his offer of a free scooter for the duration in compensation to give tomorrow a new chance . He had asked me what time i would like breakfast and i told him at 9.00am please , i walked to the beach , perhaps 10 metres from the resort , which was completely deserted , was this a beautiful hideaway i had stumbled upon or was i the only guest due to the work being carried out , whichever i loved it , its only small maybe 600 - 800m in length but great , although the water was never clear there and somewhat dirty . I was back by 8.55 am and waited for my breakfast , at 9.00 precisely the manager appeared with breakfast in hand , my stomach was thinking about starting to eat itself , rumbling like rolling thunder , he placed it before me and left to bring the salt and pepper , i wondered how did he get so right to be so punctual , my first bite answered my question , my lovely eggs and sausage and toast had been prepared much earlier and carefully kept fresh in the fridge for me to enjoy chilled , yum yum. He returned with condiments and took away my food for a through re heating , finally i ate .
I think the resort is one of the best value on the island but for me things like only one member of staff speaking and really understanding english is not enough , since the clientèle is world wide and all use english to communicate more of the staff need to have some understanding , getting even a bottle of water was an effort and im not some sort of person who expects the world to speak english but in the hotel and service industry it must only make the whole experience more pleasurable for the customer to obtain what he requires . In fact the staff let the whole place down ,all were new and all had no idea of the work they were doing , it took me 20mins to pay the bill and i had already paid the room before coming , the TV didn't work when on one evening i decided to watch a movie , 3 people and one hour later still not working . In time i hope it will get better with the staff , it could be an excellent little resort with good staff , one thing i never found out online before coming was if you drink wine and enjoy , bring your own for the stay , it is almost impossible to find on the island for sale and cheap white in taranya was £30.00 a bottle , i was shocked . Final recommendation is more pro's than con's worth a visit .

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tim b

Reviewed 5 August 2013

We stayed for 2 nights in July. I traveled with my hubby and 2 kids. We took 2 rooms side by side. We arrived around lunchtime and loved the rooms. Everything was there that you need, the rooms were clean and roomy. The location was quite, and central to everything the island had to offer. The language barrier was hard, but we just laughed at the differences. We hired bikes from the resort at THB400 and only used 2 ltrs of fuel for the whole day. The island has a few shops as well as an ATM, money changer and restaurants. We stoped at the bar on the hill for a drink and ate lunch at the View point, great lunch. Both nights we had dinner at the resort and the food was fresh and tasty. A little slow but your meal is made fresh from scratch. A must do is walk to the end of the pier when the fisherman return, all the locals come and buy the fresh fish. It's worth the look. The pool is clean, cool and refreshing. I would recommend the resort for couples, family's or groups.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Ideal for relaxing and taking a motorcycle trip around the island.
Do not expect a beach, the coastline is really tiny here and there and not so clean. But the hotel has a nice pool and you can rent a motorcycle in the hotel.
The manager is friendly, while we were more than an hour late for breakfast, he still did not charge us for our breakfast (early lunch).
Beautiful, clean, comfortable rooms and a very cute cat! :-)

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank mcorthals
Reviewed 1 March 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 10 nights in Feb 2013, and were quite worried before arriving because of some of the reviews on various sites. We were very pleasantly surprised when we arrived as it's a great little resort.

The rooms are all new, clean, and beautiful. The bathroom was pretty basic, but still much nicer than most places I have previously stayed at in Thailand.

The pool is very nice, and we spent many days just lying around there, swimming, and sunbathing. The downside is that they didn't seem to leave the pool cleaners running often enough so there were a couple of days mid-holiday when the pool turned a bit cloudy but was fine again afterwards.

The beach, as with all beaches on the east side of the island wasn't particularly nice. The sand is full of crabs and depending on when you go in the lunar month, the tide level varies drastically. However, the pool was so nice, we didn't see why you'd want to go into the sea there. There are some (2 nice beaches) on the west side of the island. One is where the Glow Elixir resort is, and that was lovely. White sand & clear water. Well worth a visit. The other is further up the west coast but a massive new hotel is being built there at the moment, so not worth visiting.

I definitely recommend hiring a moped / scooter when staying. The resort charges 400 Baht for pretty small taxi journeys, and you can hire a scooter for 400 Baht per day, so well worth getting the scooter. Petrol is about 50 Baht a little and you could travel the length of the island and back again on one litre. There are cheaper places to hire a scooter than from the hotel, but then you have to walk there to pick it up, and back again after dropping it off so we opted for the convenience of getting it at the resort.

The restaurant area is a mix of some nice wooden tables, some plastic furniture inside, and some very nice tables outside. In the evening, there is also some nice lighting in the gardens making it a lovely spot. However, the food wasn't particularly good when compared to other places and seemed to vary in quality from day to day. If the resort got a decent chef, it would be one of the nicest places to eat in the evenings, on the island. We ate at Ko Yao Yai village one evening which was very nice, but pricey with it. Glow Elixir mucked up our order and didn't understand much so we didn't eat there again. The best food was to be found at simple roadside places where there wasn't much to presentation but the taste and price was amazing.

We found the staff friendly, fairly helpful, and nice, but they hardly speak any English, which is a real shame. OK, I don't speak any Thai, but then I'm not trying to sell a service so they would do themselves a massive favour if they all learned a bit more. It didn't cause any problems for us, but we could see how it has frustrated some other people.

We found it so amusing that some people have complained about noises from animals at night. You're on an island, surrounding by nature!!! Yes, there are some strange noises, but nothing that bothered us.

There resort is next to a pier, which many local fisherman use so there is some noise from them coming and going on their scooters, and from the boats themselves. It was never to a level that particularly bothered us, but its best knowing this before booking.

When we booked, this resort was the best option for us as it offered AC in rooms, nice accommodation, and not extortionate prices. It meant we could use the place as a base to explore from and have more money in our pockets to use for excursions and meals. If the owner gets a new chef, plays a bit of mood music in the evenings, and the staff learn some more English, it could definitely compete more with the best resorts on the island, but being so close to the pier, it may be better keeping it's prices down to attract people.

We enjoyed our stay there and would stay there again.

Room Tip: All the rooms looked nice but if you want a view of the sea, you need to go for a honeymoon villa wi...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank parkwa
Reviewed 12 February 2013

bad workmanship, unfriendly & uncooperative staff, food and drinks insufficient - far from being satisfactory!

We arrived in the morning, the room wasn't ready. Not really a problem, we were too early. The hotel looks nice for the first moment. We checked in. The room was pretty, clean and big enough for two people. The wifi connection is really bad...(not the biggest problem at all), 2h later they told us that we're in the wrong room, we had to change the room. No assistance from the hotel staff, no idea in which room we had to move now.

We ordered some drinks and food, takes hours! What a poor crew. The tables are still occupied with dirty dishes from the breakfast five hours before. Later we saw some people in our room, we asked what's happend and they told us that the toilet is broken. The "technician" came after our repeated requesting. Now we're sitting in the restaurant since what seems forever and have no room and nobody will (or can) tell us anything. That's the worst staff I've ever seen! The staff displays an incredible arrogance and they don't speak English.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
8  Thank corinne m
Reviewed 9 February 2013

Terrible experience I had in this Hotel. The beach in front is awful, full of trash and there is a pier full of motorcycles ALL DAY LONG.
The rooms are tiny, shower is also a bad experience. And there was lots of noises going on nightime.
When I went on complaining to the resort's "manager" he started yelling and telling me to "shut up" (literally and I'm not exagerating).
Worst hotel ever. And TOO EXPENSIVE.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank JuliaBobrow
Reviewed 16 January 2013

We stayed at this resort for three nights while visiting Koh Yao Yai and loved our stay here. The staff were really friendly and helpful. The rooms were spacious, bright, and very clean. We rented bicycles from the resort one day and cycled all around the island. It was fantastic! We also took a boat tour of the surrounding islands one day. This was also arranged by the resort. We took advantage of the lovely swimming pool every evening. It was so relaxing. We would definitely stay here again if we have the opportunity to return to the island.

Room Tip: There are only 10 rooms at this tiny resort and all rooms looked beautiful.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
#1 of 6 in Ko Yao Yai
Paradise KohYao
Paradise KohYao
#4 of 8 in Ko Yao Noi

Been to Baan Taranya Resort? Share your experiences!