“A very enjoyable holiday, but....” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort & Spa

Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Ko Yao Yai
“A very enjoyable holiday, but....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

It was the perfect holiday! The sea view was amazing, and it totally took our breath away. We stayed there for 3 nights, and on our second day we went on Phiphi island trip by the private speed boat. It was relaxing, safe, and words could not describe how great the whole experience was.

The only negative experience we had encountered was that on our last day, when we were checking out, we were charged $800 baht for taking a bottle of liquor from our room. We explained that we didn't touch anything from the food bar except drinking the complementary water.

Although the manager attended to us politely and had immediately taken off the $800 baht out of the bill,(he said he would check with the house keeping team....) but we were scratching our heads for the rest of the day, whether someone came into the room to take it or not... I would probably advise to lock your luggage before you leave, or to put the room on "do not disturb" if you don't lock your valuables away. $800 baht is fine to pay, but the fact is we didn't take the bottle, so what happened to it?

Despite the above, we will definitely return to Santhiya! Now that i am back to work, everyday, I am almost still dreaming myself being in Santhiya, and my goodness, the spa, is a must have!

2 Thank Andrew C
Sukomol, Deputy Managing Director at Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Andrew C,

Greetings from Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort & Spa – Traditional Thai-style luxury beach resort on tropical island.

First of all thank you very much to spent your valued holidays with us, it sounds really good that you really enjoyed your single minute stay with us. About the incident happened during your check out we are really sorry for that we will trained our housekeeping & Front Office team more and will make sure it will not happen again, normally we don’t have such kind of case, our property is totally private and safe so no one can get through, it was our team only who miscommunicate but we promise with you on your near future trip all will be in order, we are curious to serve you in near future once again, please give us chance to prove ourselves.

Looking forward to warm welcome you to our gracious hospitality once again.

Truly Yours,

Danny K Sukomol
Deputy Managing Director.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

I have been planning my honeymoon to Thailand for awhile now. We are going to be traveling around and are going to spend our last few days on the beaches of Thailand. I booked this hotel through hotels.com and was so excited about it until I get this email telling me there was an 'error' in the rate and that they had to charge me, get this, $1000+ more for my reservation and that if I didn't like it I could cancel. I had paid for my stay in full and have every right to get the hotel for the price I paid. I am just so disgusted by it that I don't want to stay there anymore. They sent me two more emails after that and I contacted hotels.com twice who told me to rest assure that my booking was confirmed and guaranteed so there must be some mistake. You are dealing with a shady hotel with shady practices. Who knows what kind of service you will get when you arrive but I never want to find out. Such a disappointing way to start planning our honeymoon.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank MFallon1982
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

Hard to find what is bad with this resort, but only 1 thing is not 100% perfect is hard to get rid of mosquito which I also don't know how to manage it in the tropical mountain resort !! Food is perfect and so delicious ,love the Thai style houses and the way they try to show, good fitness studio,good transportation and great service with nearly perfect English communication !!

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Metheebkk
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

We got there on the ferry from AoNang and we pick up a local taxi that took us thrue the island to the hotel, and the island and once in the resort we did not fancy exploring the island which is very undevelloped, no proper road, poor housing and a lot of rubbish around.
The resort next door and the local restaurant further down the beach where enough to explore, as the hotel is a delight to stay in, as long as you can afford the 5star pricetag.
There is plenty to do there, box thai early morning, yoga, cooking class, swimming, and the hotel has own speedboat to take guests on islands.
Best of all was the airport transfer on check out, which takes you from the hotel to the terminal in less than an hour, very pleasant.

Room Tip: We had a deluxe sea view room and it was absolutely magnificent, i wish i could live there for ever
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Neringabaksyte
Antwerp, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

I have to agree with most of the previous comments, the positive as well as the negative ones. Yes, they have 5*rooms and 5*location with the according views, but for that you pay the rate. They also have 4 star food and drinks and 3 star service, but you still pay 5 star price. More than 10 € for a glass of white wine! Things that are considered good service in other 5 star hotels, for this management are a reason to gain more income. The 20 min boat ride to their pier is 1500 THB p.p. one way. They just know that it is very difficult to organize it yourself. I needed some cash and went to the reception, they could bring me to the ATM machine with their car, for 500THB, a local guy down the beach, where we booked a snorkeling trip, took me for free, took him 15 minutes. Also we didn’t have to pay the 100% to 300% commission the hotel takes on every activity they organize for. Yes, they could change euro bills, no problem, at 33 ThB for one euro, at the time the rate was 44,6! When I complained about that, the answer I got was:”But sir, it is because you’re on an island”. So that gives them the right to charge you unreasonable for everything? At that moment I felt like someone was lying to me, as if they don’t have bank transactions and cash transactions on a regular base?
We had a late flight, so we took the last boat ride at 15:00, but check out time is 12:00. No problem Sir, you can relax at the pool and the bar, you can shower near the pool (in public that is, I was tempted to do that all naked) and change yourself in the restroom (read toilet). The last 5 star hotel we checked out late, two weeks ago at Phuket, they offered us a day room near the pool, with shower, toilet, TV, chairs and our luggage in the room, FOR FREE! They also offered free non alcoholic beverages and snacks from the mini bar in your room, cooled mineral water at the pool from the moment you sat down, free laundry service 4 pieces a day, etc. That’s what I call 5 * service!
This supposed to be the perfect end of our holyday, but despite the beautiful setting an friendly staff they did not manage to give us that "wow" feeling, but we left more feeling like a milked cow.

Room Tip: There is a lot of construction going on, enjoying the sunset was disturbed by hammering, drilling et...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Madydirkje
Aalborg, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 7 nights in march/april. We booked the deluxe with garden view. We loved the area and the buildings - very detailed and authentic. The rooms are beautifull with a strict focus on details. They were in the midst of expanding the resort and we experienced some noise form the construction site. We talked to the manager and he soon gave us another room away from the noise - a deluxe with ocean view, quite an upgrade free of charge. The breakfast is delicious, lunch and dinner as well. The thai cuisine dominates the dinner menus. All in all a lovely place, we would go again. Good for couples - very romantic.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bjørn R
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

Overall the resort is definitely 5 Star though improvement needed in speed of service for certain areas like housekeeping requests and delivery of luggage on arrival day. Staff are friendly and courteous - definitely reflects the good Thai hospitality. It would make our holiday perfect if the beach was better in terms of finer sand and clearer water; which I've seen better island beaches in Thailand before. Food in the resort restaurant lacks variety. Breakfast wasn't fantastic for a 5 Star resort hotel standard - lacks variety as well. For dinner, only set menus available; if ala-carte preferred then have to pre-order by 5pm. We went to the neighboring resort hotel restaurants for dinner which are cheaper and no worries, they are walking distance (just walk along the beach and you'll find the other resorts). You can also walk to the nearby village. As this is quite a new resort, they are still constructing new buildings. Yes, I would return if I want a 5 Star rest & relax holiday.

3 Thank MonicaChew
#3 of 6 in Ko Yao Yai
Paradise KohYao
Paradise KohYao
#4 of 6 in Ko Yao Noi

Been to Santhiya Koh Yao Yai Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!