Heimat Gardens
  • Pool
US$53
US$48
Agoda.com
Blue Bay Resort(Ko Yao Yai)
  • Beachfront
Yao Yai Resort(Ko Yao Yai)
US$61
Cape Kudu Hotel(Ko Yao Noi)(Great Value!)
US$140
US$131
Mookdamun(Ko Yao Noi)
TripAdvisor
All reviewspineapple shakesanthiya resorthot waterpad thaimopedbahtislandalcoholboat
Reviewed 7 September 2012

Koh Yao Yai reminds me of Boipeba in Bahia, Brazil. The island is completely unspoiled. I arrived by boat from Thalen Bay, Krabi. What a fabulous trip. The scenery is spectacular. The cost: 120 baht!

I stayed with Yamalia at Heimat Gardens. She has 5 large rooms, with another four to be completed shortly. The room was spotlessly clean, had air con and a ceiling fan, a large balcony, a fridge, a TV (of no interest to me), and an en-suite shower-room. Her restaurant is in a separate building next door. Internet coverage on the island is patchy but I connected my Mac by activating the hotspot on my iPhone.

I adored my stay. I paid 800 baht per night including the most wonderful fruit platter I have ever eaten for breakfast. I had pineapple, yamlai, water melon, dragon fruit, mango, papaya, rambutan and mangosteen Yamalia's cooking is wonderful: for my three dinners I had massaman curry, squid with garlic, and coconut ginger soup with chicken. Many of the ingredients are sourced locally. Yamalia took me to her own vegetable garden where she has baby eggplants, pineapple, chilies, various greens, ducks, chickens... The ginger for my coconut soup came straight from the garden beside the restaurant. If you like good food, Heimat Gardens is for you.

The island is incredibly green and full of rubber trees. The trees in front of my room were in full production which was fun to see. The landscape is a bit like Bali as there are vivid green rice paddies. The beach at Lo Pared is beautiful. It's the only beach where you can swim at low and high tide. I hardly saw a soul on the beach: heaven :-).

Koh Yao Yai is for people who want to enjoy nature, swim, walk, think, sleep in a hammock ... If you are looking for parties, go elsewhere. The island is 99% muslim, so there are no bars. The people are extremely friendly. I loved it.

Thanks Yamalia for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank cactusjock56
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I do strongly recommend Heimats Gardens if you are looking for warmth welcomed, tasty food and lots of peace and relax time. We have been so happy in this little paradise. The rooms are spotless; the beach is like a private place, the people are always smiling and ready to help you. We wish we could stay longer as the host Yamalia is a wonderful lady, hard worker and always with a smile on her face. Her staff is friendly and there are no words to describe the beauty that comes out of this magic place.
Yamalia, thank you again for making this holidays so unforgettable. You are the one who makes this place so special. Hope to see you soon.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HuescaBibi
Reviewed 2 December 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights and wish we had stayed longer!Yomalia is the perfect host, nothing is too much trouble-she even got up early on our last day to make us breakfast and took us to the pier to catch the 730am boat. The rooms are one one of the cleanest we have ever stayed in, nice and spacious. What can i say about the food?-fantastic,traditional thai dishes and everything is fresh,yomalia asked her father to catch crab for my wifes meal the following day. :-) If you want pubs,clubs,restaurants then dont come here,if you want peace,empty beaches, and a real taste of thailand then come here, all the people we met whilst travelling on a moped were so friendly and nothing is too much trouble for them(not that we ask for much i add).
Would we go back?-definately,a holiday memory i will never forget.Thanks Yomalia!! :-)

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank karlnvicky
Reviewed 26 February 2011

A friend and I read the reviews of Heimat and stayed as it sounded like just what we needed - peace and quiet and no large touristy resorts.
Indeed that is what we got at Heimat, plus more! The guesthouse is located off a delightful road that leads down to the beach. No loud music, no late-night bars, no shops, no sunburnt tourists, no sleazy backstreets and beautiful nature. Yai is the perfect place to unwind for a few days - lovely local community, no crime, deserted beach, picturepostcard woodland - and Heimat provides the best food, hospitality and value for money. It is also incredibly clean - Yamalia works hard and delivers an immaculate service : crisp ironed sheets, plenty of towels for beach and bath, large rooms and air con that would put many 5* hotels to shame.
Food was also delicious - the green papaya salad is a must! Service was friendly and the staff delightful.
Sadly we wandered off one of the days and made the mistake of eating at the touristy looking hotel on the beach. Horrid food (tasted like it was cooked in ketchup and our of a tin), rubbish service and unpleasant looking bungalows. We went running back to Heimat in relief that we were staying there!
Thank you Yamalia for a great stay - I hope your business continues to flourish.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank traveller2007
Reviewed 2 February 2011

Yamalia runs a really neat, clean little modern guesthouse with 5 spacious rooms close to Lo Paret beach on Yao Yai. Longtail excursions organized, scooters for rent, Great food in the little restaurant. Nothing more needed for a great beach holiday chilling out on a quiet rural island. No jetskis no disco, no crowds, no noise. Heaven. Thank you Yamalia.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple