“Holiday from 25th September to 05 October 2013”
Review of Doreta Beach Hotel

Doreta Beach Hotel
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Tholos
Reviewed 11 October 2013

We have been to Doreta Beach twice before this was our third stay.
Before we left we read lots of reviews about the English being sent to other hotels as this hotel had been double booked due to a computer systems problem in January when they lost all bookings from last year
However, on arrival we had a room on the 2nd floor - this had got to be the most basic rooms in the hotel, this floor is the only floor that had not been modernised, the air conditioning units made a noise and you could not sleep. After one night we asked to move as we could not sleep. The hotel were very good and we looked at 5 rooms on the same floor and only one had a quiet air conditioning unit. One of our party moved into that room, my daughter and I stayed in out original room, after two days an engineer came to our room and managed to quieten the unit down, however, we than had an awful stench and had to buy an air freshener spray to stop the smell. Our other party had ants running all over the bedroom coming from the Balcony Room 256, The food was repetitive seemed to go in a 3 day cycle but there was food for everyone from chips to Greek foods. There is a food area that cooks fresh meat at lunch and tea time. The bar staff are lovely and very friendly. There is not a lot of English at this hotel, however, there is Russians who are totally ignorant, you have got to be as bad as them at pushing and shoving. The pool area, Reception and Dining areas are always kept very clean, the only really tidy Toilets for both men and women are in the reception area. The staff obviously use them and they are to a very tidy standard.
Whilst on our stay I asked if we could go and look at a Jacuzzi Room, they obliged and gave us a key to a 4th floor room, when you walked in you could see the furnishings were to a higher standard and the bed looked a lot more comfortable than the rocks we were sleeping on. The Jacuzzi bath I was not impressed it was a normal bath with jets and a glass screen, on the outside of the screen facing the bed the water had obviously leaked and it had gone black did not look nice. The balcony area was quiet a bit bigger as well. It was a little more plush but I would still not rate it a 5 star.
I must admit my first and second stay were lovely - this third stay was disappointing both with the room and outside toilet facilities.
Would I go back - I really don't know - because we are familiar with the hotel and know our way around this is an easy option to go back but I would have to have a room on the 5th floor to ensure that I was comfortable.
I am disappointed but well if you want a cheap all inclusive holiday and don't want to spend too much time in your room it is nice.
Suzanne Day

Room Tip: If you are going to this hotel insist you do not get a Standard Room on level 2 - it seems to be the...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Suzanne D

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Just returned from a two week stay at doretta,what can we say, Not For English .....On arriving here first impression was good, we had no problem booking in, our room was basic with a sea view,beds freshly made, only complaint was bath being painted.
Restaurant manager was pleasant and welcomed us every morning and evening , food was bland and repetitive but you would not starve, we did eat out at billys over the road because we was in need of meat which i don't think doretta knew what it was, the beach is the worse i have every been to pebbles , entertainment looked and sounded good but not for us English, after day 9-10 we was met with long queues to evening restaurant waiting time hour, no way over to billys we went again...THere is loads more i.could say but have given you a rough idea of the place......Don't go Doretta if your English . Rhodes is a beautiful place will return in a few year but will stay in the town or lindos
.Final few words arrogant Russians, arrogant French arrogant Germans
EVERYWHERE.......

• Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank jackienetta
Reviewed 1 October 2013

we came to this "5 stars" hotel and:
The loby is very nice, the pool is very nice they have two water slides very nice, hotel is clean.
Those are the nice things in that hotel!!
The rooms are very simple and not well maintained. The food is poor and very simple.
At the hotel reception after you made the chek-in the service is not good!!!
We ordered a family room, the reception worker gave us a room with see view one duble bad and two singels beds but it was allmost imposible to move in that room.
we went back to reception and they gave us a double flor room, sounds nice(that's what we thought).
look at the first 5 picture it was horobale lot of mosquitoes in the room and many spiders that help me fighting them. Lot of dead mosquitoes smashed on the walls.
Mattress are so poor so you feel the springs when you are Sitting or lying down.
The pillows use to know beter times some 10 years ago.
After we complained we got another room see pictures 6 to the end.It was nicer then the first one but very poor. I am sorry that I can't put more pictures of the rooms.
MY ADVICE TO YOUIS: DO NOT GO TO THIS HOTEL !!!
I dont understad how they have 5 stare rate.
the rooms are look like in a simple 2 star hotel.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Israel G
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I am actually thrilled at the fact we did not have to stay in this hotel, we arrived at 3am and with no notice were shipped off to the other end of the island, the service while we were there was not only disappointing but also quite rude! This hotel over books every Wednesday and Saturday then ships certain families off to other hotels. Fortunately we ended up in a hotel which was a lot nicer than the Doreta beach hotel which is very standard, I would rate the hotel as a 3 star at most however the service can only be rated at a 1 star! The other families I spoke to were not so fortunate and one of them even ended up in a cupboard for one night which I think is completely disgusting and totally against human rights! Another family ended up in a hotel very close to the doreta however it was rated at a 2 star and was disgusting.

The only thing to really say about this hotel is do not go!! Because you wont end up there anyway!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Laura B
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We stayed with my husband in Doreta Beach Hotel in Rhodes from 26 to 31 August 2013. The advice we received from passengers who wrote on Tripadvisor were very useful, so I am very grateful.
The hotel staff is really friendly, the reception staff, bartenders, maids, restaurant staff everybody are very special people.
There are not air condition at lobby, it´s true, wifi signal in the lobby was a bit weak, the phone not captured it well, but I use the netbook and it was ok.
The rooms are spacious, corridors between rooms too, the hotel is not new, so the rooms are not very modern, but comfortable, also the bathroom, the TV in the room was quite small and common, no LCD or plasma. The mattresses quite hard, but we could sleep without problems.
The only disappointment was on the beach, we like to spend time on the beach, so we looked for a hotel on the beach, this is very stony but well equipped with umbrellas and chairs, but there were many passengers who occupied chairs with their personal effects and leave no free places. At first we thought they expected friends or something, unfortunately in many cases they occupied it without reason.
This forced us to get up early, take like them a couple of chairs, down to breakfast, and only then to go to the beach I note that although the hotel's fault.
Restaurant food was good and plentiful, there are many types of vegetables cooked in many ways, varied salads and dressings, very good pasta. Meat dishes may not abundant and was quite a wait until the trays replenished. Drinks are self-service, always cold and delicious wines, beer, soft drinks, juices, etc.
In short it was a good stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Graciela A
Reviewed 9 September 2013

No wifi, no air condition at lobby, air condition at rooms not working properly, poor rooms, not enough towels for shower nor pool, no cables, not enough soup bottles, not enough pool beds around the pool, the hotel is not recommended and it seems like there is no value for money.

Room Tip: Go for the fifth floor, it's renovated
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Daninof
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Upon arrival to the Doreta Beach Resort and Spa we were told that they did not have the reservation for my boyfriend and I on their system. Along with several other English families the receptionist began to search for the booking which were not on their system. We then had to ring the UK for our travel agent to sort out the problem. We had booked with Imperial travel (whom I strongly would NOT recommend) who were very unhelpful whist we were trying to deal with the fact that we had no room to stay in for the week and that we had been told that 'we would not be able to stay here'. It was very frustrating to arrive to a hotel which we had spent a lot of money on to be then told that they did not have our name on the system. After several phone calls from my mobile phone which cost a lot of money we were told that suddenly they had found our name on the system and had a room for us. We were then given a key and to find the room ourselves with no check-in information.
As we entered the room we were not greeted with the 4* room that we had expected in a 4*hotel. The room at first glance was very basic and extremely dated. The room was not cleaned to an acceptable standard and there was a very nasty smell in the bathroom. The light above the mirror in the bathroom was hanging from the wall with live wires dangling and exposed. There was a very suspicious piece of paper taped to the side of the bath, which we later found was a large crack which numerous small cockroach type bugs crawled through each day on to the bathroom floor and in to the bath. The bath had been painted and the paint at the bottom of the bath had pealed away. The floor and bathroom tiles were all cracked, the beds were the most uncomfortable beds I have ever had to sleep on and the air conditioning unit was nothing more than a warm air blower.
On the second day we came back to the room to find that the dirty sheet had been used to re-make the bed. They had a spot of blood on and were not changed for clean sheets. After going down to reception to ask for the sheets to be changed the very unhelpful receptionist radioed for the sheets to be changed. 4 hours later the sheets had not been changed so my boyfriend was forced to take the sheet down to reception with him before anything was done about it. We did not receive new sheets until 10 o clock in the evening which the maid handed through the door and we were expected to make the bed our self.
We then had a maintenance man sent to the room after we complained about the light in the bathroom to which numerous hours later, we had a replacement light after being told by said man it was 'not good' and ' very dangerous'.
After asking to move rooms the following day as we were not happy with the standard of the room I was told that this was the room we had booked, there were no other room available, we should move hotels if we are not happy and they were not responsible with the state of the room. To which I replied ' surly this is your hotel so you should be responsible with the state of the rooms' I was told they were not responsible and I had to contact the travel agent in the UK if I was not happy.
Having booked in to a 4* hotel we did not exact to receive such poor service. During our stay at the Doreta Beach we only experienced 2 friendly members of staff. My boyfriend and I got told off several time during the trip for moving other peoples dirty plates from our tables as they were so slow to clear the tables available. The food was very disappointing as it was very bland and there was not a lot of variety each day. The drinks were also very poor and we did not receive a drink that was enjoyable during the whole holiday. The main restaurant attender was a very rude man who did not speak to any of the English holiday makers, only sitting the French and German families and giving them bottles of wine which we saw nothing of the sort.
Overall the experience was very disappointing. We do not expect to pay so much money for a hotel to have disappointing food and drinks, dirty sheets, unhelpful and rude staff and maintenance men coming in to the room to fix the faulty wiring. I would not return to this hotel ever again and it has certainly turned me off going to Rhodes in the future. I hope that by writing this review I will prevent anybody wasting their hard earned money in such a poor hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Samara Y
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tholos
Alex Beach Hotel
#2 of 31 in Ialyssos
Georgia Hotel
Georgia Hotel
#3 of 9 in Tholos

Been to Doreta Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!