“Relaxing Family Holiday!!”
Review of Summer Dream Hotel

Summer Dream Hotel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Tholos
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We got this trip at a really very good price. I would recommend as value for money as we paid for a family of four for two weeks £726.72. Not bad compared to the same period in a caravan in Cornwall self catering would be twice as much. The area is very nice and quiet - peaceful.

I would say this hotel is a good base to see the fabulous island of Rhodes. It is a family hotel. We spent two weeks here, and hired a car for a week in the middle of our stay. Two weeks of depending totally on this hotel for stimulation would be very boring.
The food is ample and you won't go hungry. My family fits a wide demographic. I eat everything, my 9 year old daughter tries everything, my 8 year old son lives on chips and my husband is coelic - gluten intolerant and I would say we did find a lot to eat, if a bit repetitive. Lots of nice salad! But I think I was hoping for a bit more seafood - being on an island and all!
Food are at set times and the Pool bar snacks are ghastly!! Dried bread and cheese in the hot sun!! Sometimes pizza slices!!
You do not get the same as most other all inclusive - food at all times of the day. But the price reflects this. You should think if it as full board - 3 meals a day.
Do NOT go here if you like what you like and are not able to enjoy other dishes! It is your holiday you must do what makes you happy.
This hotel seems to be ticking over while lots of others in the area have closed up. The recession has hit them as with everyone. They are running on minimal staff who work ever so hard and try their best.
I will say however, our room was barely touched by the cleaners, they made such a lot of noise as if they were doing a lot and on more than a few occasions just changed the bin liner in the room!! In the end I just told them not to bother and we made our own bed up and wiped the floor with a bath mat!
The kitchen staff were the best - nice sisters who work so hard, they are there from dawn to well past dusk.
In the restaurant there was never enough glasses - sounds dumb to say this, but when you go to eat you would like to get some water and lots of times you would have to wait for a wash to come out. This was not the fault of the staff - just not enough to go around and the management should replenish stock - things get broken etc over a year!!
The old guy at the evening bar was quite rude to my daughter when she went to get 4 cokes for the 4 of us. He quite upset her and told her that "You kids were drinking too much!!" What an idiot. In the end my daughter would only get us a drink if the nice girl was serving.
I think they overbook all the time as we were put for one night in a different room until they had one ready for us and then the lady at the front desk came to find me and we had to move in 3 minutes - I think this was because they had someone for the room they had temporarily put us into, because when I had finally sorted out our stuff for the second time and was leaving the room I saw people going into the room we had just vacated. My husband was on the net in reception for a few hours one morning and witnessed the same situation with other people just checking is as well. I don't know why they would make life hard for themselves by doing this. Weird!
The beds were HHHHAAAAAARRRRDDDDD!!!! Think of a foam exercise mat on a concrete base!! I have put my back out and have to go the chiropractors asap!! If you have pre existing back aches DON'T go here. I am sitting with an ice pack as we speak!
We don't ever go back to the same place anyway - the world is too big a place and there is so much to see elsewhere so we won't probably go back here. But if you want to see this beautiful ancient island then this is not a bad BASE, but take some spending money to go out and about.

1  Thank SIRMEELA M

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Just got back this weekend from a great weeks stay at Summer Dream Hotel we were a bit apprehensive after reading some reviews on here but thought we would give the hotel a chance, we landed Saturday the 17th at 10.00pm and easily got a taxi from the airport for 13euros (as the hotel is only 15mins or so away don't get stung with transfer fees a taxi is always available)
We arrived at the hotel and was greeted by Mike the manager who was very friendly and polite Mike quickly sorted the paperwork out and showed us to our rooms and also helped with our luggage. Our room was lovely, clean and well presented with good working air con. After sorting our cases we went for a drink at the bar and as the all inclusive had finished we didn't expect but we were given free drinks and made very welcome by the bar staff.
Through out the week the food was absolutely fine there was plenty of choice for everyone - I don't know what people were moaning about as there was always something different at every meal sitting! and there was certainly not as many flies as others have put on here unless I am blind this was a running joke with me and my partner trying to spot these so called flies.
The rooms were infact cleaned daily and fresh bedding and towels were provided - the staff at Summer Dream work so hard and do not get the credit they deserve some bad mannered people are out there that only write reviews to moan your holiday is what YOU make of it go there with an open mind and appreciate that it's not home from home.
Hotel facilities were great no kids club but that's not something we go on holiday for just to dump your child on someone else, there is plenty of children there and they make friends easily, when your by the pool it's great to see all the kids playing and you can see them around the whole pool area and park, the pool bar is good plenty of choices for drink I will say that they do need to improve the choice of snacks - maybe use left overs from lunch would be a good idea?
In the evening we went out a few times but we also stayed in the bar meeting other people and getting to know the staff which was nice, there is also air hockey and a pool table for a couple of euros (my son loved this he fleeced us).
I would recommend hiring a car if your are the sort of family like us that enjoys exploring a new place - Pegasus car hire are fantastic and five mins walk away from the hotel Peter the owner will be more than happy to help and is cheaper than the rest he also recommends the places to see and supplies you with a map - this came in handy when we got a little lost coming back from Lindos.
All in all we had a fantastic weeks stay at Summer Dream if the Management are reading this thank you once again and we will see you early next season (Joshua is looking forward to spending his 7th Birthday there)
Mark, Amy and Joshua x

Room Tip: The apartments at the far end of the pool where we stayed was very nice
2  Thank Amy B

Where do I start.....

On our arrival me my husband and teenage son (in the early hours) the night manager looked a little shocked, who was clearly not expecting us... He couldn't find us on the computer... When he did after checking I had a valid accommodation voucher he tells me that we have no room ready and that people are still in it ! He asked us to go for a walk for a few hours!!! I refused, so we plonked ourselves with luggage on the hotel pool loungers to rest a little we were shattered.

We woke to guests walking by us asking us why we were there, we spoke and soon realised this was more common than we realised, soon enough staff were scurrying around and a room was sorted for us :-) this was a clean but basic, no kettle or hair dryer provided.

We soon were having breakfast not great, the cooked food covered in oil, no toast available (basic in my opinion) just crusty bread, so at the best a hard boiled egg on crusty bread was had. Lunch was basic but a little better,nice salads and chips, evening dinner was poor, we soon agreed it was better to eat out my son was only eating a chip butty or ice cream (not good)

The basic services were not provided, very limited spirits at the pool bar, you even got tap water with ice!!!! While the bar tender was drinking bottled water!!!!

With not having a kettle in our room, you can only get a hot drink at breakfast or by the pool bar until 5.30pm, the all inclusive (which it isn't ) only limited inclusive on a basic level, the main bar of an evening serves till 10.30pm then you have to pay for drinks!!! It doesn't say this on the hotel itinerary!!!! So most people were done by this and went to their room.

The pool water needed a clean, full of chlorine, milky coloured water and a broken step in the deep end proving difficult to get out.

My only positive is the room basic, clean and with air con, staff were lovely, worked hard and feel their hands are tied, whoever owns this hotel isn't bothered what people say or do, this will continue.

Unfortunately that is not enough for us to want to go back, I know it is 3* (reality 2*) I was expecting just a little more of the basics.

Room Tip: Do not book this hotel - also not disabled friendly dinning hall on the first floor and toilets on b...
2  Thank Debbie W
Reviewed 26 August 2013

As many people have said before me, you only get what you pay for. Also like many others, I was sceptical of this hotel because of the negative reviews it has but I must stress that my experience of this hotel was very different.

Firstly our room: Basic yes, but very nice and comfortable. Cleaners DO clean every day and do a fantastic job off it too. We even told them not to bother every other day because they were so busy and rooms were gleaming anyway.

FOOD.. Welll the food was different and it was difficult for my partner at first as hes a very fussy eater. However once we had got used to it, and tried some new items we thoroughly enjoyed every meal.

DRINKS... Drinks were fine, plenty of choice for 3* AI.. and the whole time we were there, there were two people serving at the bar from 6 till late. Prices after 10.30 are very reasonable.. €3 for cocktails €2 for beer, we even got a free drink the first night we arrived to.

STAFF... The staff are by far the best thing about the hotel. Kind, welcoming and very helpful. Couldnt have asked for better hospitallity.

LOCATION... For us this was perfect, Tholos is a breezy part of the island and is very quite, this was exactly what we were looking for. Easy to get to Rhodes, falaraki and we had a lovely walk to the Valley of Butterflies thanks to the receptionist Ava :). We loved the beach.. just be carefull as it is very breazy and thats quite deceiving. In all pleanty of shops, taverns and restaurants amd n9t to far to travel for a day out.

POOL... Ok so people do reserve the sunbeds, but just play them at there own game and do it to. There was plenty for everyone so didnt see what all the fuss was about really. The pool bar was the best, janni** (I THINK) was great fun and he worked none stop to keep everyone happy

I would like to thank every one at the hotel for a fantastic stay and I would return tomorrow if I could. Fantastic value for money and they definitely deserve there 3 stars if not more.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Summer Dream Hotel Theologos Rhodes

On our arrival at this hotel we were met by the Manager who had his arms elevated to the sky “No this is not possible” he was referring to the fact that my 84 year old grand mother was in a wheel chair and my father in law was on crutches (after recently having a full knee replacement) the time was 8.45pm, he explained that the all INCLUSIVE restaurant was situated on the first floor! Two flights of stairs up, and we had 15mins to have some food (this was not possible without one of us carrying Nan up the stairs and my father in law can’t walk up stairs at the moment)

My father in law needed to go to the toilet and when we asked were it was it was down two flights of stairs!

Now the reason that we picked All Inclusive was for convenience everything in one place as we just wanted to relax for two weeks and not have to worry about going out to find Bars and Restaurants as my father in law was unable to walk very far and Nan could take things easy.

We had booked two, two bedroom apartments for our stay 1 x my wife, me and my 9 year old daughter and in the second bedroom my father, we were shown to ours not to bad a bit basic however you could live with it. The room was supposed to have a fully equipped kitchen; the hob had been disconnected there was not crockery, cutlery not even a kettle!!!

My mother and father in law was then shown to their apartment only to find that they had 1 x double bed and 1 x single bed in one room! So they were sharing their personal space with Nan, and not the two bedroom apartment that had been booked and paid for.

We had requested a ground floor apartment for them however this was situated down two very steep slopes, again this apartment had no kettle or basic equipment. Trying to get Nan back up the slopes was a bit of a job, we observed the cleaning staff preparing rooms for arrivals and when it come to pushing the sheet trolley up the slopes it took three members of staff!

It was fair to say at this point our Summer Dream was fast turning into a nightmare.

We booked a hotel and parking at the Russ Hill Gatwick (which was all fine) so we were taking by shuttle bus to Gatwick, it’s fair to say that everything from special assistance at Gatwick to the Easy Jet Flight and crew were excellent. Even the Island Hopper resort transport all worked without a hitch.

I called the 24hour Duty Office for Thomas Cook who were fantastic and understanding of our plight, and assured me that someone would call me from the local travel agent the next morning, the team tried everything they could to find us suitable accommodation on the island to no avail as it was the last two weeks of Aug 2013 and the island was full!

The hotel suggested that they could put two tables together in the reception area and one of us able bodied could go upstairs to the food and pick what all 7 of us would like to eat and bring it down! This really wasn’t acceptable as we would have felt like gold fish and to do this 3 x a day wasn’t really an option, not really an all inclusive experience that we had all paid for.

We couldn’t get a cup of tea or coffee until the pool bar had opened at 10.15am and as we had had no breakfast we thought that we would get some bar snacks from the pool bar, this turned out to be a triangle of dried bread with either a slice of cheese or luncheon meat on it, the man behind the bar said “we sometimes get a pizza brought down at about 3pm if there’s any left after lunch” when my daughter asked for an ice cream she was told that they didn’t do them!

The pool area was in general very nice, again accessed by a very steep slope, a lot of the sun beds were broken and the ones that weren’t were reserved with towels very early in the mornings. There were not even enough tables and chairs and definitely no parasols at all!

The drinks were of a very poor standard with not much choice my father likes a dark rum, this is not available, some of the children around the pool would come and ask for water the barman would put some ice in a glass and go to the tap and fill it up for them, however when he wanted a glass of water he would go to the fridge behind the bar and pour himself one from the clean bottled water!

My mother in law asked at the pool bar for a cocktail and was told that they were only available from the main bar which is not open until 5.30pm when the pool bar has shut!

The main bar is a bout 3.5mtrs long with one senior aged person serving the ever growing queue this is until 10.30pm when free drinks are finished and then they put on two people behind the bar to speed things up!

The rooms are supposed to be cleaned every day, however this wasn’t evident under the beds didn’t look they’d been touched this season and during our stay they didn’t change the sheets at all, on two separate occasions we found cockroaches in our room.

I can not really make comment on the buffet style food as I didn’t see it or taste it, however when we ventured out to eat we met a lot of people from the resort, in the local bars and restaurants our server often asked where we were staying when we replied the Summer Dream they would just laugh, you got the feeling from them that this hotel was bringing the resort in to disrepute and their sterling work was in vain.

The slight incline from the hotel to the main street was more of a hill in fact they had built a church on top of it! Holding the wheel chair back on the way down and struggling to push it up the hill on return!

The resort of Theologis is not very big and not very much choice is available, there is one main street with not much on it, but Rhodes old town is fantastic! (Just a note though if you are in a wheel chair the streets in the old town are mostly paved with cobble stones, so you’re in for a very bumpy ride indeed)

I have to say that I found the staff very friendly and mostly helpful at the resort, but they were truly let down by the hotel owners / Management.

Thomas Cook arranged to fly us back to the UK, with all the back up of top travel company, we arranged an appointment with the local manager on our return and came to a very satisfactory outcome and indeed have already booked again with them, we have travelled with them many times over ten or so years and can not question there service & back-up!

Room Tip: If you are disabled do not go near this HOTEL!!!
5  Thank djjohnrodgers
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Hotel staff and most guest really friendly, rooms were basic but good enough to get your head down. food was very standard on most days especially evening meals. Kids enjoyed themselves in and around the complex and made friends, remember its the same sun if your in 5* or 3* hotel :).

Reviewed 19 August 2013

Well, the weather was great, the food was fine but I would rather donate my liver than go there again. It's basically just a cynical way to extract from idiots. I go on holiday to have a good time. This place is sadly lacking on so very many fronts. Terrible entertainment, dining room a sweat box, very poor resources and terrible hygiene. NO WIFI!!! If you want a good holiday with steps to get out of the pool this is not for you. DON:T GO TO THIS REALLY VERY POOR EXCUSE.....This place is so very full of inked scumbags it's not even funny.

3  Thank Catherine W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tholos
Kalithea Sun & Sky Hotel
#11 of 34 in Kolimbia
Olive Garden Hotel
Olive Garden Hotel
#5 of 14 in Lardos

Been to Summer Dream Hotel? Share your experiences!