“Friendly Filoxenia, almost perfect...”

Filoxenia Hotel Apartments
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Tholos
Barton-upon-Humber, United Kingdom
“Friendly Filoxenia, almost perfect...”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We've just returned from Rhodes where we stayed at the Filoxenia which I had chosen based on the fantastic Tripadvisor reviews. It's difficult for me to review this place because some aspects of it were amazing but there were definitely some things that weren't so positive which I have to bear in mind in my review. I had arranged with the owner Nicos to stay on a half board basis for myself, my wife and daughter but I did say that we would want to eat out and sample the local restaurants on some evenings so in the end we ate at the hotel on 7 out of the 11 nights we were there. Ok so first the positives:-

Nicos and Evangalia and their family are the most amazing , hardworking, friendly hosts you will ever meet in any hotel, on arrival we were welcomed enthusiastically and given a welcome drink which was a nice touch and the whole family were charming and helpful at all times, certainly can't fault their attitude and friendliness.

The location is good , a short distance from shops and restaurants and a (stony) beach where they do kite surfing which you simply have to go watch it's soooo cool (wish I could do it it looked exhilarating)

The 2 pools are excellent , always clean with plenty of sun beds available (but see the negatives for more on that)

The price of the drinks and snacks was very reasonable , 70c for a 500ml bottle of water, 1.5 euros for a local coke / lemonade , large beer 3 euros and cocktails mostly 5.5 euros and many snacks for 2 or 3 euros, you won't feel ripped off here as far as drinks and food are concerned

The rooms were basic but cleaned every day with fresh towels and the grounds were immaculate, a very clean and tidy hotel overall

The negatives:-

I had booked an apartment for myself, my wife and our daughter, I was happy to pay a bit more for one of the bigger apartments on the 2nd/3rd floor and that's what we got. We were in fact allocated 2 rooms (22/23) that are adjoining and have separate facilities i.e. 2 showers and 2 kitchen areas which did prove handy at times e.g when we were getting ready to go out in the evening however what I didn't expect (having not asked for 2 rooms) was to have to pay for air conditioning twice , the bigger room was 6 euros a night and the smaller room 5 euros a night for the aircon so in total €121 which was a rather unexpected and in my opinion unfair cost, I didn't see why I should have to pay for aircon twice when I only booked one room, ok we got 2 which was nice so in a way I hate to complain about this but it didn't seem right or fair to me

The showers weren't ideal, they've been mentioned in other reviews and they really can be annoying to use. For one thing the showers are tiny, they have a curtain all the way round that just sticks to you due to it's close proximity, of course that then inevitably means water going everywhere which isn't helped due to having to hold the shower as there's nothing to clip the shower head into. On the plus side the water pressure was fantastic and the water was always nice and hot (or cold if you needed to cool down!) but overall mainly due to a combination of the size and the fact you had to hold the shower when using it I have to say the whole shower experience wasn't one I want to repeat in a hurry

The sunbeds and umbrellas are looking tired , many of the sunbeds were broken (from where we were most days we could see at least 5 broken ones opposite us) and some of the umbrellas were very difficult to put up (needing 2 people) due to being really stiff. The majority of the sunbeds were of the white plastic variety and extremely uncomfortable to lay on , I ended up buying a lilo for 7 euros from the supermarket to put on the sunbed to lay on and I would definitely recommend doing that if you plan on laying around the pool a lot and can't get one of the more comfy sunbeds that seemed to attract the beach towel brigade and therefore weren't an option to most of us staying there

Things I didn't want to classify as positive or negative (mainly as they're subjective) :-

The food I had was good i.e. there was nothing wrong with it but I have to say not as good as I was expecting somehow, I can see why plenty of people would be happy just eating here and my wife enjoyed all of her meals (especially the Octopus) but we did have equally good if not better meals at other local restaurants and having spoken to other people we weren't the only ones slightly disappointed with the food and general restaurant experience. The service was slow at times, we did get the wrong things served to us occasionally most worrying having ordered 2 vegetarian omelettes being served 2 special omelettes with bacon and ham in (thankfully we're not vegetarians so were happy to eat what we got and it was delicious, I'm sure if we had been vegetarian the matter would have been dealt with quickly). I thought the bread was a bit hard and dry for my liking , perhaps that's how it's supposed to be but I'd rather it had been softer and not as dry although with Tzatziki on it was still delicious). Despite being on half board which should have included a dessert we were very rarely offered one or asked if we wanted one so only had one once or twice and the only options on half board were ice cream or Greek yoghurt (which I hadn't realised) with any 'upgrades' to the other desserts on the menu (which only cost on average 1 or 2 euros more than the standard ones) being charged at the full price for the dish concerned which I thought was a little unfair (and therefore didn't do very often). As has been mentioned in at least one other review it can take ages to get your bill at the end of the night, if you're in a hurry I would recommend asking to pay it there and then rather than wait for it to be brought to your table as that can take half an hour or more sometimes. Overall I have to say I was slightly disappointed with the dining experience in the evening. The food wasn't spectacular (although I have to say the BBQ was fantastic, don't miss that on a Sat night) and the service was ok but definitely could be better but this is a family hotel with only 4 or 5 people serving all of the meals and I think due to the laid back atmosphere and attitude (which is no bad thing) it did make it feel a bit slow and disjointed at times. I'd eat there don't get me wrong, there were some very nice meals e.g as I said the BBQ and the meatballs and moussaka and lasagne were very nice but quite often we didn't get a Greek salad with our meal which meant when a meal was served with salad as some where and that salad comprised 2 slices of cucumber and 2 slices of tomato it left me wanting a bit more, most meals did come with the option of pasta, rice or chips though, for some reason I seemed to be good at avoiding those ones though....

As has been mentioned in other reviews the beds might not be very comfortable for some people with a very firm mattress, I did wake up with some aches and pains occasionally due to the unforgiving nature of the bed but hey some people might like it like that

There is noise from planes flying over and it's amazing how many flights do take off from Rhodes airport but you soon get used to it and it wasn't an issue during the night

I have selected 'no wifi' in answer to the question below 'did this hotel have in-room wifi' because our rooms (22/23) didn't have wifi in the rooms, we were occasionally able to get a signal on our balcony but it wasn't really usable due to the poor signal strength. Other rooms might be fine I don't know but the signal didn't stretch from the reception area to our room so bear in mind if in-room wifi is important to you

The heat made things very uncomfortable in general, aircon is a must in August but during the day by the pool I have never taken to laying under an umbrella as much as I have here and I stuck to factor 30 suncream for the whole holiday as the sun is so strong. I hate to moan about glorious sunshine and 34C temps but honestly it does sap your energy and make it difficult to do much during the day. Note I obviously haven't let this influence any scores on this review I'm just mentioning it for info, I like my sun but our whole family just thought it was too hot during the day and this was on the cooler west coast of the island where there was a breeze! If I was to visit Rhodes again I'd definitely avoid the hottest months especially with young children, unless you're happy to stay in the pool all day :)

To sum up then we had a wonderful memorable holiday in Rhodes at the Filoxenia, the only issues were relatively minor ones that could be addressed quite easily (apart from the heat but I can hardly blame the hotel for that lol). Unfortunately we didn't get the chance to say goodbye and thank you to Evangalia when we left as she wasn't there so if you're reading this Efharisto' poli' (hope I got that right) to you Evangalia and the same to you Nicos and all your family. We would definitely go back to Rhodes (not in August though) and would definitely stay at the Filoxenia in future

Room Tip: Avoid ground floor rooms , 2nd and 3rd floor apartments with a sea view are worth paying extra for...

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Greek first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

On arriving at the Filoxenia my husband,teenage son and I were greeted warmly by the hosts Evangalia and Nicos. The apartment was very clean although we found the beds a little on the hard side and the shower difficult to use without saturating the bathroom, as the shower head does not have a overhead holder. There was a small kitchenette unit with two electric rings, a sink and full size fridge. As we ate out all through our stay I could not say if this was adequate, I don't imagine you could cook a family meal but it was fine for making a snack and there was also a decent kettle but nowhere to plug it in other than in the seperate bedroom, on the dressing table. We mainly ate at the Filoxenia and all the meals were delicious, fresh and the portion sizes were huge. Saturday night is barbecue night where Nicos cooked all the meat and fish on his brick built barbecue next to the eating area. The restaurant is very quiet and there are not many other bars/restaurants nearby other than taking a bus or taxi ride to the next town or village, great if you like it quiet. The pools are lovely with plenty of sunbeds, but I would recommend you try and get the blue and white ones, as opposed to the white plastic ones, as they are far more comfortable. Mike, the hosts son, works in the bar and restaurant and, like his parents is very welcoming and friendly. Overall I would recommend the Filoxenia just for the warm, friendly family and everything else is a bonus.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We had a lovely holiday, apartments are clean, the pool is great and there are plenty of sunbeds. We stayed bed and breakfast and the food was brilliant and plenty of it. The family are so kind and polite which made our holiday enjoyable. Thank you so much.

Room Tip: The rooms on the pool side are best.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank potter931
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Good Points
- Very friendly staff, smiles all round!
- Lovely pool area, 2 pools and plenty of sunbeds
- Beautiful garden areas - flowers and grass
- Relaxed feel
- Clean rooms/ rooms cleaned daily

Bad Points
- Very regular loud noise from the airport only being about 4km away, planes fly overhead often
- Poor parking is available
- Staff are nice, but we were waiting up to 30 mins just to receive the bill for our meal
- As a person staying in the apartments, you have to pay for the mini golf/table tennis
- You do not necessarily have a good view, there are rooms at the back of the buildings which offer no view at all
- Air con, costs 10 euro a night!!!!
- The hotel says wifi is available in the rooms, however we got no signal inside our apartment all holiday and had to sit in the bar area if we wanted to use the internet

1 Thank RosePo20
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Again the best holiday ever.Third time We stayed at Filoxenia Hotel. The best family in the world with the best staff making the holiday perfect. Love you all!! The view, the quiet,the people, the cleaning. You get really home made food. Delicious!!

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank lovleytime
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

This was my third visit to filoxenia, I have another booked in September. Nikos, Eva, Panos and Michael also the staff panthi, Georgia, pantalise and panos are so dedicated to make sure your stay is relaxing and welcoming! Not forgetting the gardener and cleaner's who work as a fantastic team to keep everything maintained and clean . Grandma Anna who contributes with her skills of homemade jams and liquors! I went in may with my mother and Eva and nikos went that extra mile to serve king prawns for my mother on the famous filoxenia bbq! The family are so genuine people they become your friends. The filoxenia is a place to relax and unwind also good base to visit the island and 10 mins from the airport ! My perfect Greek heaven.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Helen M
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at Filoxenia for a week, from 16th July 2014. This was our last holiday together as a child-free couple, as we are expecting our first baby in October.

First impressions were lovely. We were greeted by Panos, one of the owners sons. We were on a late flight so his friendly welcome and complimentary drink were really appreciated. The atmosphere in and around the bar was chilled out and we immediately felt we made the right choice for a relaxing holiday.

However, we were then advised that our room for the week wasn't available, and that we would have to spend the first night in an alternative room, then move the next day. Not ideal when you just want to unpack and start to enjoy your holiday, without living out of a suitcase for the first day. However, the owner, Niko, was very pleasant and reassuring and arranged for our luggage to be moved for us the next day, while we were out and about, so it was no big issue in the end.

We spent our week touring the island, shopping in Rhodes old town (beautiful) and relaxing by the pool. All staff were really friendly and chatty, and really made us feel at home. The children's cocktails they made for me were delicious! as were the fresh meals with different options every day.

The accomodation itself was basic, and with a really hard bed! However, it was spacious and clean, and we had a nice view of the sea and across to Turkey. The location is quiet and fairly remote, although there are some shops (including supermarket) a cash machine and restaurants just a few minutes walk away. It's only a 5 min taxi journey from the airport (great for a late flight) and 20-30 mins from Rhodes town. It might be too quiet for couples looking for a party, but it was perfect for what we were looking for at this time.

Overall we were sad to leave Filoxenia, we felt we made new friends in the owners and staff, and we'd love to go back again one day with our little one.

Room Tip: We had room 52 (family room, large balcony with great sea and pool view) then room 25 (couples room...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tholos
Ville di Lindos
Lindos Blu
Lindos Blu
#2 of 30 in Lindos
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,206 reviews

Been to Filoxenia Hotel Apartments? Share your experiences!