“great hosts”

Filoxenia Hotel Apartments
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Tholos
Reviewed 30 August 2014

After reading all of the positive reviews we booked to stay here for two weeks. We were unsure of the quiet location and close proximity to the airport. However , we found the short transfer great. The hosts Eva and nikos were just lovely. We had a to stay in a ground floor apartment for two days whilst our room became available. Area is very quiet , blue sun beds a must as white give you a numb bottom ....
Would stay again..

Room Tip: WiFi very Intermittent.
4  Thank 24mar

Reviewed 29 August 2014

My partner and I have just returned from a weeks stay at the Filoxenia (20th-27th August). We chose the Filoxenia due to the many reviews that compliment the small family run apartments.

Our flight times were rubbish meaning we arrived late evening and also left late evening. On arrival we were warmly welcomed by Evangalia and shown to our room. Our room was basic and very clean. We had booked a double room, so I was very pleased to find a double bed and not two singles side by side. I also found the wardrobe space to be adequate and happy to see lots of hangers in there! There was also a safety deposit box within the wardrobe, but I would say there is no need make use of it as the apartment are safe. The kitchenette was small with enough plates and cutlery for two people. Our room also had a sea view which was also pleasant.

However after reading previous reviews I must agree with the showering situation. The bathroom was small and could barely fit two people in at the same time. The shower was a small cubicle in the corner with a short shower curtain that did not protect water from the floor, leaving a soaking wet floor and shower mat. Also as mentioned, the showers are not attached to the wall meaning the shower head must be held. This makes showering a difficult task to complete within your usual timely manner.

There are only a few things that I could comment on that were not to satisfaction:

The firmness of the mattress - my partner found this difficult to cope with, waking up with back pain most mornings and unable to sleep comfortably.

Electric sockets - in our room I could only count two sockets to fit plugs into. I am not one for wasting electricity but I do find it a little frustrating when only two things can be plugged in at a time. I also thought that these could be more practically positioned within the room.

Apart from this I would say the rooms are good for the price, not to mention that they are cleaned daily which was not expected. The only suggestion I would have for the room is better curtains to block out the light from outside and for left over supplies to be left in the room (ie, soap/handwash, washing up liquid) as you cannot buy miniature bottles of these which means a lot is left to waste after a weeks usage.

As mentioned before, my partner and I had late flight times. Although check out is 12 noon this was not a problem, it is safe to leave your baggage at reception and Nicos kindly arranged for us to use a spare room to shower/ freshen up, despite being busy and fully booked.

The location of the Filoxenia is quiet and rural. This is definitely the place to be if you are looking for a peaceful and relaxing escape. There are not many bars or restaurants so I would not suggest staying here if you are looking for lively nightlife. As previously mentioned in reviews, the apartments are located a short drive from the airport meaning that planes fly over regularly. This can be noisy but you do become a little fascinated with plane watching. Theologos is a quiet town so I would recommend hiring a car for a few days as there are many things to see and do around the island.

The Filoxenia pool and terrace area itself is delightful. Spacious pool area with two clean pools which is enough room for kids and adults. The only suggestion I would make about the pool area is investing in some new sun loungers and umbrellas as most of the current ones are broken and have seen better days. Evangalia keeps a well kept garden area surrounded with beautiful flowers which the butterfly's enjoy, and mini games/ play area to keep guests entertained. Evangalia and her husband Nicos are always around, engaging with the guests, ensuring everyone is welcomed and happy to help with anything. My partner and I ate at the Filoxenia 6 out of 7 nights, despite the mixed reviews of the food, I would say that the meals are good quality, high in quantity and low on price. Saturday night is BBQ night which comes highly rated!

Overall I would say that the Filoxenia is a wonderful, family run business that is great for young families and anyone who is looking for some R&R. The Filoxenia definitely lives up to its name (Greek meaning for 'hospitality') and not an experience to be missed!

Thank you again for having us Evangalia and Nicos, and we wish you all the best.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CityChick-CC
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

...ever when we arrived we didn't have the room (we have reserved in march for august, we send an email asking some information some days before arriving and they write that everything is ok). The owner of the hotel spent more than 1 hour trying to convince us to spend the night in a pension that he use to used when he had these problems (he said that happens very often) he told us that when HE travels he doesn't care where to sleep...HE, not us!! He never say I'm sorry, at the end thanks also to Booking.com help we found another hotel!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank M1975DN
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We've just returned from Rhodes where we stayed at the Filoxenia which I had chosen based on the fantastic Tripadvisor reviews. It's difficult for me to review this place because some aspects of it were amazing but there were definitely some things that weren't so positive which I have to bear in mind in my review. I had arranged with the owner Nicos to stay on a half board basis for myself, my wife and daughter but I did say that we would want to eat out and sample the local restaurants on some evenings so in the end we ate at the hotel on 7 out of the 11 nights we were there. Ok so first the positives:-

Nicos and Evangalia and their family are the most amazing , hardworking, friendly hosts you will ever meet in any hotel, on arrival we were welcomed enthusiastically and given a welcome drink which was a nice touch and the whole family were charming and helpful at all times, certainly can't fault their attitude and friendliness.

The location is good , a short distance from shops and restaurants and a (stony) beach where they do kite surfing which you simply have to go watch it's soooo cool (wish I could do it it looked exhilarating)

The 2 pools are excellent , always clean with plenty of sun beds available (but see the negatives for more on that)

The price of the drinks and snacks was very reasonable , 70c for a 500ml bottle of water, 1.5 euros for a local coke / lemonade , large beer 3 euros and cocktails mostly 5.5 euros and many snacks for 2 or 3 euros, you won't feel ripped off here as far as drinks and food are concerned

The rooms were basic but cleaned every day with fresh towels and the grounds were immaculate, a very clean and tidy hotel overall

The negatives:-

I had booked an apartment for myself, my wife and our daughter, I was happy to pay a bit more for one of the bigger apartments on the 2nd/3rd floor and that's what we got. We were in fact allocated 2 rooms (22/23) that are adjoining and have separate facilities i.e. 2 showers and 2 kitchen areas which did prove handy at times e.g when we were getting ready to go out in the evening however what I didn't expect (having not asked for 2 rooms) was to have to pay for air conditioning twice , the bigger room was 6 euros a night and the smaller room 5 euros a night for the aircon so in total €121 which was a rather unexpected and in my opinion unfair cost, I didn't see why I should have to pay for aircon twice when I only booked one room, ok we got 2 which was nice so in a way I hate to complain about this but it didn't seem right or fair to me

The showers weren't ideal, they've been mentioned in other reviews and they really can be annoying to use. For one thing the showers are tiny, they have a curtain all the way round that just sticks to you due to it's close proximity, of course that then inevitably means water going everywhere which isn't helped due to having to hold the shower as there's nothing to clip the shower head into. On the plus side the water pressure was fantastic and the water was always nice and hot (or cold if you needed to cool down!) but overall mainly due to a combination of the size and the fact you had to hold the shower when using it I have to say the whole shower experience wasn't one I want to repeat in a hurry

The sunbeds and umbrellas are looking tired , many of the sunbeds were broken (from where we were most days we could see at least 5 broken ones opposite us) and some of the umbrellas were very difficult to put up (needing 2 people) due to being really stiff. The majority of the sunbeds were of the white plastic variety and extremely uncomfortable to lay on , I ended up buying a lilo for 7 euros from the supermarket to put on the sunbed to lay on and I would definitely recommend doing that if you plan on laying around the pool a lot and can't get one of the more comfy sunbeds that seemed to attract the beach towel brigade and therefore weren't an option to most of us staying there

Things I didn't want to classify as positive or negative (mainly as they're subjective) :-

The food I had was good i.e. there was nothing wrong with it but I have to say not as good as I was expecting somehow, I can see why plenty of people would be happy just eating here and my wife enjoyed all of her meals (especially the Octopus) but we did have equally good if not better meals at other local restaurants and having spoken to other people we weren't the only ones slightly disappointed with the food and general restaurant experience. The service was slow at times, we did get the wrong things served to us occasionally most worrying having ordered 2 vegetarian omelettes being served 2 special omelettes with bacon and ham in (thankfully we're not vegetarians so were happy to eat what we got and it was delicious, I'm sure if we had been vegetarian the matter would have been dealt with quickly). I thought the bread was a bit hard and dry for my liking , perhaps that's how it's supposed to be but I'd rather it had been softer and not as dry although with Tzatziki on it was still delicious). Despite being on half board which should have included a dessert we were very rarely offered one or asked if we wanted one so only had one once or twice and the only options on half board were ice cream or Greek yoghurt (which I hadn't realised) with any 'upgrades' to the other desserts on the menu (which only cost on average 1 or 2 euros more than the standard ones) being charged at the full price for the dish concerned which I thought was a little unfair (and therefore didn't do very often). As has been mentioned in at least one other review it can take ages to get your bill at the end of the night, if you're in a hurry I would recommend asking to pay it there and then rather than wait for it to be brought to your table as that can take half an hour or more sometimes. Overall I have to say I was slightly disappointed with the dining experience in the evening. The food wasn't spectacular (although I have to say the BBQ was fantastic, don't miss that on a Sat night) and the service was ok but definitely could be better but this is a family hotel with only 4 or 5 people serving all of the meals and I think due to the laid back atmosphere and attitude (which is no bad thing) it did make it feel a bit slow and disjointed at times. I'd eat there don't get me wrong, there were some very nice meals e.g as I said the BBQ and the meatballs and moussaka and lasagne were very nice but quite often we didn't get a Greek salad with our meal which meant when a meal was served with salad as some where and that salad comprised 2 slices of cucumber and 2 slices of tomato it left me wanting a bit more, most meals did come with the option of pasta, rice or chips though, for some reason I seemed to be good at avoiding those ones though....

As has been mentioned in other reviews the beds might not be very comfortable for some people with a very firm mattress, I did wake up with some aches and pains occasionally due to the unforgiving nature of the bed but hey some people might like it like that

There is noise from planes flying over and it's amazing how many flights do take off from Rhodes airport but you soon get used to it and it wasn't an issue during the night

I have selected 'no wifi' in answer to the question below 'did this hotel have in-room wifi' because our rooms (22/23) didn't have wifi in the rooms, we were occasionally able to get a signal on our balcony but it wasn't really usable due to the poor signal strength. Other rooms might be fine I don't know but the signal didn't stretch from the reception area to our room so bear in mind if in-room wifi is important to you

The heat made things very uncomfortable in general, aircon is a must in August but during the day by the pool I have never taken to laying under an umbrella as much as I have here and I stuck to factor 30 suncream for the whole holiday as the sun is so strong. I hate to moan about glorious sunshine and 34C temps but honestly it does sap your energy and make it difficult to do much during the day. Note I obviously haven't let this influence any scores on this review I'm just mentioning it for info, I like my sun but our whole family just thought it was too hot during the day and this was on the cooler west coast of the island where there was a breeze! If I was to visit Rhodes again I'd definitely avoid the hottest months especially with young children, unless you're happy to stay in the pool all day :)

To sum up then we had a wonderful memorable holiday in Rhodes at the Filoxenia, the only issues were relatively minor ones that could be addressed quite easily (apart from the heat but I can hardly blame the hotel for that lol). Unfortunately we didn't get the chance to say goodbye and thank you to Evangalia when we left as she wasn't there so if you're reading this Efharisto' poli' (hope I got that right) to you Evangalia and the same to you Nicos and all your family. We would definitely go back to Rhodes (not in August though) and would definitely stay at the Filoxenia in future

Room Tip: Avoid ground floor rooms , 2nd and 3rd floor apartments with a sea view are worth paying extra for...
Reviewed 21 August 2014

On arriving at the Filoxenia my husband,teenage son and I were greeted warmly by the hosts Evangalia and Nicos. The apartment was very clean although we found the beds a little on the hard side and the shower difficult to use without saturating the bathroom, as the shower head does not have a overhead holder. There was a small kitchenette unit with two electric rings, a sink and full size fridge. As we ate out all through our stay I could not say if this was adequate, I don't imagine you could cook a family meal but it was fine for making a snack and there was also a decent kettle but nowhere to plug it in other than in the seperate bedroom, on the dressing table. We mainly ate at the Filoxenia and all the meals were delicious, fresh and the portion sizes were huge. Saturday night is barbecue night where Nicos cooked all the meat and fish on his brick built barbecue next to the eating area. The restaurant is very quiet and there are not many other bars/restaurants nearby other than taking a bus or taxi ride to the next town or village, great if you like it quiet. The pools are lovely with plenty of sunbeds, but I would recommend you try and get the blue and white ones, as opposed to the white plastic ones, as they are far more comfortable. Mike, the hosts son, works in the bar and restaurant and, like his parents is very welcoming and friendly. Overall I would recommend the Filoxenia just for the warm, friendly family and everything else is a bonus.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We had a lovely holiday, apartments are clean, the pool is great and there are plenty of sunbeds. We stayed bed and breakfast and the food was brilliant and plenty of it. The family are so kind and polite which made our holiday enjoyable. Thank you so much.

Room Tip: The rooms on the pool side are best.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank potter931
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Good Points
- Very friendly staff, smiles all round!
- Lovely pool area, 2 pools and plenty of sunbeds
- Beautiful garden areas - flowers and grass
- Relaxed feel
- Clean rooms/ rooms cleaned daily

Bad Points
- Very regular loud noise from the airport only being about 4km away, planes fly overhead often
- Poor parking is available
- Staff are nice, but we were waiting up to 30 mins just to receive the bill for our meal
- As a person staying in the apartments, you have to pay for the mini golf/table tennis
- You do not necessarily have a good view, there are rooms at the back of the buildings which offer no view at all
- Air con, costs 10 euro a night!!!!
- The hotel says wifi is available in the rooms, however we got no signal inside our apartment all holiday and had to sit in the bar area if we wanted to use the internet

3  Thank RosePo20
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tholos
Atrium Prestige Thalasso Spa Resort and Villas
Lindos Mare Hotel
Lindos Mare Hotel
#4 of 30 in Lindos
Vallian Village Hotel

Been to Filoxenia Hotel Apartments? Share your experiences!