All reviews roman room chinese room themed rooms eggs benedict jacuzzi bath scones attention to detail arabian nights coffee machine mini bar achill island keel bay memory foam great sleep hosts john second to none can't praise
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Enjoyed a night here in the Mayan room. The views from here are fabulous. Beds SO comfortable, shower terrific. Breakfast the best so far in Ireland, great choices and great presentation. The only thing that let this place down was the pervasive smell of old fat lingering in the dining area.

Room Tip: Mayan room great views
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 September 2013

My partner and I travelled to Achill for one night and we are so glad we chose Ferndale.

It was exactly what we wanted!

We stayed in the Roman Room - everything was fantastic, all the little touches were there, this is a really well thought out place.

The bed, OH MY GOD, we did not want to leave!! So comfortable that we are investing in one ourselves - I don't think I will ever find such a good bed again in all honestly...

From Jon's whimsical and simutaneously luxuriant decor, to the elegant refreshments tray, waterfall taps (my boyfriend was mesmerised and we are hoping to install them in our own reno project), and also the fabulous view of Keel and the Hills, it is all more than you could ask for.
(Two duvets equals no sharing - Bliss! A bottle opener in the room, Good Toiletries.... Etc)

Achill is a brilliant place to get out and about but should the weather not oblige you are very well catered for.....
An excellent quality, 42'' TV and blu-ray player with which the team offer you a library of thousands of movies to pick your night's entertainment - in case the hot super-power shower or jacuzzi aren't enough...

Then breakfast, once we had managed to tear ourselves away from the fabulous bed, was held in the delightful, and panoramically windowed breakfast room. What a way to start the day.
Tasty treats for breakfast with more than generous portions - they feed you very well at Ferndale!

Finally, hospitality....
Excellent! All at once professionally, friendly, relaxed AND gracious. A very difficult balance to achieve!

So many thanks to Heidi for the lovely welcome, Jon for his ingenious flair and warmth and Alex for a great breakfast service and farewell.

Wish you the best and we will be back as soon as we can!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank ConnemaraRovers
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We stayed here for our first weekend away in achill for my birthday, and we had a great time the owners were ever so helpful and kind. We had dinner here and we were both so very impressed and full after dinner best meal in a long time.! The second day we relaxed in our room a lot as it was wet and rainy, but did not have dinner, we did however ask for a dessert and they were very accommodating during this time as they had a full dinner party and also made time to give us a selection of dvds when very busy. Such a good range of breakfast too we both enjoyed ours. We will be back as soon as we can, thankyou to all at ferndale for making our first weekend away from the baby very relaxing and welcoming.!!

Room Tip: Choose the mini suites :)
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2013

The reviews on this guesthouse are mostly true. The food was above average- excellent- except for the inflated prices- the dishes are at least a third above the price they should be- and event at a third less they would be expensive. I wasn't impressed that my meat was probably frozen (this was more or less confirmed by the owner) and yet I was paying approx €35 for the dish! Having said that, lots of good fish and nice touches eg sorbet and small chef's taster. The wine is also very over priced.
The amount of material decorating areas would not be for me- long cheap velvet curtains and novelty bedrooms- very different, and nice to experience. It wouldn't be my taste but you have to commend them for effort.
However... the price... far too expensive for what is being offered here.
On the plus- the bathroom with jacuzzi bath was fabulous :)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jim244
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Stayed their for the second year in row during the August Bank Holiday - best food I've ever tasted & the people who work there are so nice. Can't recommend highly enough. Will be back next year again!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple